Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

On 10/25/2023 at 2:41 AM, Ghost of said:

Find? We had him... he was being called a great coaching prospect then and despite of my urging to fire Gruden and hire him instead... we didn't. 

We had Shanahan too. For all the talk about Snyder it was his lack of quick decision making on coaching that killed the team. 

I have 0 faith that Shanny or McVey would've made us any better of a team.  Hell their respective positions they coached on our team under performed.  And that's just giving them 3 or 4 guys to work with.

Alot of it is luck with the players and luck in the draft.  

What's the point of firing Rivera now?  Which existing coach would take over?  I don't want ownership hiring a long term coach mid season.  I want a GM taking care of business.  Lose with Rivera or lose with any of the other existing coaches.  The table was set with missing pieces, cracked goblets, and no planned entree.  The best we can hope for is the line protects Howell and he benefits from EBs pass-happy offense.

• Like 1

Ron just doesn't have it anymore and it can be argued that the cancer that he was diagnosed with took a lot out of him. He was undergoing treatment during the 2020 season and I don't think he was present for much of the practices and just there on gameday. He's been through a lot and should just step away gracefully instead of being fired after another ownership change as a coach.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Now correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the team have people up in the booth looking at stuff like that and letting RR know when to challenge something?

I guess they're just sitting up there with their feet on the table, sipping on martinis and updating their status on social media.

Its THAT exact thing that is wrong with the entire coaching staff; no one has their head in the game, looking for angles to take advantage of, plays to challenge and making adjustments on the fly. Its prob some of Ron's buds from Carolina or his nephews collecting a check and smiling all the way to the bank week in and week out.

When, the owners make changes { and God help them if they don't } it should be a prerequisite that NO family and NO friends on anything having to do with the entire organization. This isn't Verizon, nor is it a social club , its an organization that has been in a funk for decades and it has to stop...

• Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I dont know why any team would rely on the coach to make these calls from the sideline. This should be a full time job for someone on gameday, the replays are too important to F up.

I agree, but if my entire sideline and coach closest to the play is emphatically telling me it’s incomplete and the offense is hoofing it downfield to get the play off - I’m erring on the side of caution on such a huge play.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree, but if my entire sideline and coach closest to the play is emphatically telling me it’s incomplete and the offense is hoofing it downfield to get the play off - I’m erring on the side of caution on such a huge play.

exactly

does the upstairs coaches booth even have access to every camera in the stadium real-time?

9 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Talking about going after Ben Johnson as HC. I was unaware that he has Mark Brunel and Antwan Randel-El on his staff.

A lot of Ben Johnsons out there, I'm guessing its not the one that got stripped of his gold medal...or the dead one.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Ron just doesn't have it anymore and it can be argued that the cancer that he was diagnosed with took a lot out of him. He was undergoing treatment during the 2020 season and I don't think he was present for much of the practices and just there on gameday. He's been through a lot and should just step away gracefully instead of being fired after another ownership change as a coach.

Let's not forget that RR also lost his mother last year, so it shouldn't be too surprising if he's still dealing with grief. It bothers me in our society that people expect folks to 'just get over it' when something terrible happens and expects them to be back near 100% within a few weeks.

On the other hand, it's clear that RR is not as involved on the sidelines as he was in Carolina. He had a bit more success in Carolina partly because he wasn't also in control of personnel...I understand people wanting more power but it bugs me when people don't realize that they just aren't that good at juggling two jobs.The list of good coaches who were also good GMs is extremely short.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

On the other hand, it's clear that RR is not as involved on the sidelines as he was in Carolina. He had a bit more success in Carolina partly because he wasn't also in control of personnel...I understand people wanting more power but it bugs me when people don't realize that they just aren't that good at juggling two jobs.The list of good coaches who were also good GMs is extremely short.

You would have a very hard time convincing me that control as an Anti-He-Who-Must-No-Be-Named measure. Doesn't exonerate Rivera from horrible roster building--especially in this last offseason, but there is a very good reason for it in this instance.

That said, I can't wait to see a proper GM hire an innovative coach and get this team going in the right direction after over 30 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Question: Boss and I are having a fight, how much control does Rivera have and what does his contract say? Does he have power over all personnel? Does he have to listen to Harris or does Harris have to fire Ron to make certain changes?

The owner can always override any decision.

Ron got the "Thank You" award from the "Philly Voice".

https://www.phillyvoice.com/handing-out-10-awards-eagles-washington-commanders-game-2023/

>>4) The 'Thank You' Award 🙏: Ron Rivera

In the third quarter, facing a 4th and 4 from the Commanders' 46 yard line, a Hurts throw to Smith clearly hit the ground and should have been ruled incomplete. But the Eagles hurried to the line, and got the play off. 

It appeared after the play that the Commanders' bench saw that Smith's "catch" shouldn't have counted, as they emphatically signaled incomplete. However, for some insane reason they didn't challenge, and the play stood. Even if they didn't get video proof before the next snap, how do you not challenge that play in such a crucial spot?!? 

With all the plays that are challenged automatically, do teams even run out of challenges anymore? Like, when was the last time that happened? What are you saving them for?

Of course, Rivera also made the insane decision not to go for two and try to win a game in regulation against the Eagles Week 4. If not for Rivera's gaffes in this series, the Eagles probably aren't 7-1.<<

• Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Kind of think Ron deserves to be kept around to watch his 4 year failure scrapped for parts and melted down, but that's just me being petty. Ownership clearly holds what he has done in the same regards as most of us so idk why they didn't just can him Monday. Maybe the plan is he is his own interim coach.

• Like 1