Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Postgame Thread - Commanders vs. Jaguars

ColonialWBSkinsFan

Well... I guess we shouldn't be too surprised about the game today... we got the very good Carson (4TD's, 300+ yards), and the bad Carson (including possibly the worst, ugliest interception in NFL history).  

BUT, a win is a win is a win... and in this league, the difference between a win and a loss is usually a single play or two, or an unusual bounce.  So, given the recent history of this franchise, I'll take it.  All day, every day.  Going to be very interesting to see how the Detroit game goes next Sunday, seeing that they gave the "exulted Super Bowl-contending" Eagles all they could handle today.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Well... I guess we shouldn't be too surprised about the game today... we got the very good Carson (4TD's, 300+ yards), and the bad Carson (including possibly the worst, ugliest interception in NFL history).  

BUT, a win is a win is a win... and in this league, the difference between a win and a loss is usually a single play or two, or an unusual bounce.  So, given the recent history of this franchise, I'll take it.  All day, every day.  Going to be very interesting to see how the Detroit game goes next Sunday, seeing that they gave the "exulted Super Bowl-contending" Eagles all they could handle today.

Not even the ugliest interception Wentz himself has thrown. Great play by Walker. 

• Thanks 2

Offense looked good when the OL held up and we weren't turning it over. Its nice to have a QB that can make legitimate NFL throws. Gibson looked good running the ball. This is the best offensive roster we've had since the 2016 team that had D Jax, Garcon, Crowder, Reed and Davis. Jags D is strong up front but the OL mostly held up. Losing Schweitzer midway through clearly hurt us though.

Defense...yikes. Well the DL was great, even when it was at one point 3/4 backups. But the LBs were non existent. I won't blame Davis for getting beat by Kirk, no LB can cover a WR, but he's constantly slow and out of position. Holcomb is always a ghost. And the CBs just looked slow and out of it. Why is WJ3 always lost and confused? Is he just the dumbest player in the league? I do think the Safeties were okay. Forest looked real good.

We're probably gonna be in a lot of shootouts this year and we should beat the bad teams in them but there will be games where the D can't ever get off the field when we play some of the better offenses on our schedule(Vikings, Packers, Cowboys etc.). Thankfully its not as murderous as last year's slate.

• Like 1

Watching the Chiefs now and it's clear that we are firmly a mid tier team with potential. Jax are losers like the lions and browns, but they're hopeful now so it's kinda even. 

Every team on our schedule is beatable except the Eagles and Titans and maybe the Pack and 9ers.

I respect Ron and think we win close ones, so we should be able to get to 10/11 wins. We might have the talent to get to the top level next year which is impressive.

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Not even the ugliest interception Wentz himself has thrown. Great play by Walker. 

Okay.  Upon further review, I will agree that Trevon Walker (the overall number pick in this past year's draft, btw), did make an exceptional play on that pick.

BUT, I also will say that Wentz should have NEVER, ever thrown that ball in that situation.  Even if he would have completed it, it would have been at best a 2-3 yard gain.  Risk vs. Reward... that has always been Carson's biggest issue.  I'm hopeful (but not exactly optimistic) that he can clean up that aspect of his game and focus more on the four nasty TD's he threw to Samuel, Terry, and Dotson.  As well as the numerous completions to Gibson, McKissick, and Logan T)   Overall, I'm more optimistic than I've been since the RG3 days...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Watching the Chiefs now and it's clear that we are firmly a mid tier team with potential. Jax are losers like the lions and browns, but they're hopeful now so it's kinda even. 

Every team on our schedule is beatable except the Eagles and Titans and maybe the Pack and 9ers.

I respect Ron and think we win close ones, so we should be able to get to 10/11 wins. We might have the talent to get to the top level next year which is impressive.

I like you Kool I really do but your love of the eagles is not only a little blinding it gets obnoxious at times.

No way a division rival especially one who hasn't established itself as dominant yet can be put in the unbeatable category 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I think we also shouldn't rate Jax too low. Yeah they were the worst team in the NFL last season, but they have plenty of talent on their team and are obviously coached much better than they were before. Lawrence looked decent and made some nice throws, though had a couple of head scratchers as well. They won't be nearly as bad this season as they were last IMO.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well... this is awkward. I posted the Next Day Thread as per tradition and I see this up. We have redundancy here, folks. If you want to do these that's cool, I can move on from the NDT schtick :ols:

I think we should combine them or go with yours. You have a ton of valuable commentary and insight in the first post of your thread.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

Wentz both simultaneously showed us why for all the talent he has, it's not a given that he is the starting QB here next season, but also why they needed a QB with an NFL caliber arm throwing to the WRs on this roster.   Does anything think that TD pass to a wide open McLaurin isn't chased down by the safety to either break it up or at least push him out of bounds right when it is caught if it's thrown by Heinicke?  I don't even think he attempts the 2nd TD toss to Dotson.

Payne & Forrest had a game. Allen showed that his big contract didn't change him as a player either.

Curtis Samuel finally paid off, showing his versatility and dynamic range.

Gibson as a WR is a weapon, but he still showed he can be useful as a RB when needed.  

The defense still worries me when the D-line isn't wreaking havoc on any given play. Way too often the secondary looked out of position, not even around players when they made catches.  I hope Cam Kurl being out really made that big of a difference because the secondary definitely needs a boost ASAP.

That second TD catch by Dotson was prime time level clutch.  When I saw the replay, he initially had the corner beat, but stumbled just enough when he turned upfield which allowed the DB to close.  I think maybe Wentz threw the ball when he saw Dotson turn upfield assuming he was about to run away from the defender, but Dotson was able to find a way to make that catch when the defender was basically on him.  Super big time.   

Terry showing why he was paid too.  Making the small catches, and the big catch late.  

I am still not thrilled with Scott Turner, I don't know why, but it seemed like after they went up 14-3, the play calling suddenly turned conservative and they basically assisted the Jags defense by eliminating the 2nd and 3rd levels of the playing field.  To start the game they were spreading things out, throwing it everywhere, but once they made the decision to tighten things up the Jags defense was able to make some moves.

That's it for now.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well... this is awkward. I posted the Next Day Thread as per tradition and I see this up. We have redundancy here, folks. If you want to do these that's cool, I can move on from the NDT schtick :ols:

@KDawg  I'm totally down to defer this thread to you...you've clearly made it a tradition and I don't want to step on toes....

Mods, is there a way to combine the two threads into one?

14 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am still not thrilled with Scott Turner, I don't know why, but it seemed like after they went up 14-3, the play calling suddenly turned conservative and they basically assisted the Jags defense by eliminating the 2nd and 3rd levels of the playing field.  To start the game they were spreading things out, throwing it everywhere, but once they made the decision to tighten things up the Jags defense was able to make some moves.

I think the issue was losing Schweitzer. Once he went out, our OL struggled to protect and as a result, we had to resort to more short passes because we couldn't block long enough to get the deeper stuff going. 

At the end of the game we basically just went YOLO down 8 and it worked because Wentz made some big throws and the OL managed to hold up.

49 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I like you Kool I really do but your love of the eagles is not only a little blinding it gets obnoxious at times.

No way a division rival especially one who hasn't established itself as dominant yet can be put in the unbeatable category 

Eagles and Commanders will be the top 2 teams when they play each other.

18 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

@KDawg  I'm totally down to defer this thread to you...you've clearly made it a tradition and I don't want to step on toes....

Mods, is there a way to combine the two threads into one?

First Dan T and now KDawg? Making your power move huh? "ols"

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think we also shouldn't rate Jax too low. Yeah they were the worst team in the NFL last season, but they have plenty of talent on their team and are obviously coached much better than they were before. Lawrence looked decent and made some nice throws, though had a couple of head scratchers as well. They won't be nearly as bad this season as they were last IMO.

Yeah they have talent and got a big upgrade at head coach. 

But this is also a tough week 1. The Titans just blew a 13-0 lead to the Giants and are now tied. The Eagles were in a dogfight with the Lions. The Colts tied the Texans and had to rally from like 17 down to do it. The Saints barely beat the Falcons(had to rally from a 16 point 4th quarter deficit). The Bengals lost in OT to the Steelers. The 49ers lost to the lowly Bears. The Panthers lost at home to a Jacoby Brisett led Browns team.

Most games in the NFL are tough and hard fought. 

• Like 1

Sorry, but I must post this...NSFW (language)

Spoiler

6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.
Type in your word and let the filters do their job of substituting asterisks for letters. Then check your post to see if all profanity was filtered. Veiled or "subtle" attempts at using profanity are unacceptable. We allow the use of either all asterisks/symbols or none at all. For example "****" and "*&*%$" are acceptable, while “s**t” or “sh*t" are not.

Members quoting profanity filter violations (or other rule violations) without editing the violation out of the quote are simply creating another violation of this Rule and may be penalized accordingly.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

image.jpeg.5ac5497f7b949e80f2dc64add3b31675.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I'm not sure why everyone is crushing Wentz on the 2nd INT.   That was a great play by Walker.   The first INT was much worse.

Yeah the second wasn't a good decision but it was also a really dumb play call and a really good play by Walker. Very few D lineman have the agility and dexterity to make that kind of play.

• Like 1