Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attack on the FBI building in Cincinnati (Suspect dead. Was at Capitol on Jan 6)

Cooked Crack

3 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

One aspect that doesn’t get enough attention is the number of combat veterans, who tend to lean Right and just spent 20 years learning insurgency operations, who are still on active duty and I don't necessarily trust their allegiances.  Or they are recent veterans who could easily be a 10x force multiplier if the wrong person got inside their heads and gave them bad ideas.

Yup.  I used to be comforted by the feeling that if a tyrant took office, the military would side with the people over a dictator.  I no longer have such belief.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

One aspect that doesn’t get enough attention is the number of combat veterans, who tend to lean Right and just spent 20 years learning insurgency operations, who are still on active duty and I don't necessarily trust their allegiances.  Or they are recent veterans who could easily be a 10x force multiplier if the wrong person got inside their heads and gave them bad ideas.

I typed a long post and deleted it because I can’t adequately/eloquently say what I want to add to this, so here is a much shorter version:

The military is just one aspect.

Law enforcement, federal and local, skews very right/authoritarian. Probably quite a bit more than the military.

I’m not sure the math works out in favor of democracy or preserving America in the case of civil war. We would need a significant amount of assistance from our allies

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Yup.  I used to be comforted by the feeling that if a tyrant took office, the military would side with the people over a dictator.  I no longer have such belief.

I guess it really shouldn’t be that surprising. But I’m still disappointed in myself for believing otherwise. 

Some of the things I saw under the Trump administration… can’t be unseen. That was a turning point for me. Lost any faith I had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tshile said:

This isn’t to take away from your overall post, at all. 

but I don’t think it can’t happen here. 

I just think it isn’t that, now. 

I think we got a lot of people saying a lot of bold things they aren’t willing or capable of backing up. 

and a small number of people that will back it up, but will fail because they overestimate their teams size, strength, and commitment to whatever dumb**** cause they think they’re championing. 

I’ll go back to when the woman was shot on 1/6. 

an angry mob that was legit ready to turn over our government on the spot - that’s the queue where it all starts to happen. 

instead everyone shut up and moved to the side to let the police and emt’s  handle it. 

we got people crying about prison conditions after being arrested for it. 

I get there are some people that will do some things. 

from where I sit 99% of them are full of ****. 

as a gambling man I’m ok with calling them on their bull**** to. 

I’d love for them to try it. So when it’s over whoever is left will finally have to shut the **** up about it. I can’t stand people who are full of ****. Especially when it’s about pretending to be some badass they’re nowhere close to being. 

Fair enough. You may be right that it isn’t now. In fact, I hope you are. However, IMO what’s given the white supremacists sway now with whites that were mainstream is demographic change. Add to that the Q and other conspiracy theory morons and they have a significant base of support. Neither of those things are going to be reversed, so for the racists I think there’s a recognition on their part that it’s now or never. 
You’re welcome to be all macho and gamble with it. Assuming you’re not a POC, you’re not at much risk. However, from my standpoint, when they say they want to kill liberals and blacks, I’m the one they can most easily pick out. 

Edited by The Sisko
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Fair enough. You may be right that it isn’t now. In fact, I hope you are. However, IMO what’s given the white supremacists sway now with whites that were mainstream is demographic change. Add to that the Q and other conspiracy theory morons and they have a significant base of support. Neither of those things are going to be reversed, so for the racists I think there’s a recognition on their part that it’s now or never. 
You’re welcome to be all macho and gamble with it. Assuming you’re not a POC, you’re not at much risk. However, from my standpoint, when they say they want to kill liberals and blacks, I’m the one they can most easily pick out. 

Another reason why I'm closeted here in Texas. I'm on the list, Lesbian feminist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrSilverMaC said:

I typed a long post and deleted it because I can’t adequately/eloquently say what I want to add to this, so here is a much shorter version:

The military is just one aspect.

Law enforcement, federal and local, skews very right/authoritarian. Probably quite a bit more than the military.

I’m not sure the math works out in favor of democracy or preserving America in the case of civil war. We would need a significant amount of assistance from our allies

Well at least we still have an armed populace.

... that also skews authoritarian (except for things that affect them, but politicians know how to control them to get what they want)

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Another reason why I'm closeted here in Texas. I'm on the list, Lesbian feminist.

As we have been looking for our next RV spot, I found some really cool places in Texas.  The only problem with them is they are in Texas.  And that is not a state I have any desire to go to at the moment.

26 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

As we have been looking for our next RV spot, I found some really cool places in Texas.  The only problem with them is they are in Texas.  And that is not a state I have any desire to go to at the moment.

Austin is fantastic.

Houston and San Antonio are a great visit/vacay.  Not sure I could live there tho.

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Austin is fantastic.

Houston and San Antonio are a great visit/vacay.  Not sure I could live there tho.

I've been to most of the big cities in Texas.  Dallas sucks (went for a Thanksgiving day game a few years ago) but the rest I liked.  Not enough to go live in Texas though, even if only for a season.

3 hours ago, The Sisko said:

However, IMO what’s given the white supremacists sway now with whites that were mainstream is demographic change

Oh definitely. It seems obvious to me there is a “we’re losing our country” vibe going on with these people. 

Whether it’s to non-whites

females

non-christians

LBGTQ-etc

it even just the generic “progressives”

hell some of them just wrap it all up and say we’re losing it to immigrants 

and to the general point of the rest of your post - yeah, whichever group(s) they blame as taking their country away, that’s who they would target (with whatever it is they do)

and yeah. I’m a male, white, and was raised Christian (despite my lack of actively participating in church). Outside of my wife and daughter, my family doesn’t fall into the potentially targeted groups. 

so I have the luxury of not having that immediate fear as part of how I analyze things.  Which is good from a bias perspective but certainly could allow me to be naive about the immediacy of the threat. 

2 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Austin is fantastic.

Yeah but last time I was in Texas for work, the hard right people were pretty angry about the progressives in places like San Antonio (among the places I spent time)

They quite literally were talking about how they (the progressives) were stealing their state from them 

and we were all talking about how Texas could turn purple last election - so it’s not like they’re wrong about the demo shifts 

Just observing. 

As I understand it, historians agree that the primary motivation for the Civil War was the slave state's fear that they were about to lose their power in Washington. 

It's one reason why one of their big grievances was wanting a law that new states being added had to be half slave states. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Larry said:

Just observing. 

As I understand it, historians agree that the primary motivation for the Civil War was the slave state's fear that they were about to lose their power in Washington. 

It's one reason why one of their big grievances was wanting a law that new states being added had to be half slave states. 

You're wrong Larry. From what I hear from my Conservative friends, the civil war had nothing to do with slavery. In fact, Southerners weren't even aware it was going on in their states. Nothing was at issue but state's rights.(To own slaves)

• Haha 2

Twitter ‘permanently suspends’ HD 20 candidate after he advocates shooting federal agents

A Republican candidate for the House from St. Augustine is banned from Twitter after advocating violence against the federal government.

Republican Luis Miguel, running against incumbent Rep. Bobby Payne of Palatka in the redrawn House District 20, was suspended from Twitter after a tweet advocating that Floridians should be able to shoot federal agents on sight.

“Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all other federal troops on sight,” Miguel tweeted. “Let freedom ring.”

Miguel told Florida Politics Friday the suspension, which is “permanent” per a message he got on his Twitter app, “doesn’t affect (him) at all.” He stands by the proposal, which he says is justified because the IRS has been “weaponized by dissident forces.”

Miguel is still active on Instagram, where the post advocating shooting federal agents is still displayed, amid a host of other hateful graphics mourning the loss of confederate statues (“Southern memories,” he called them), advocating “complete enforcement” of the Stop Woke Act, and other such shout-outs to the populist right.

“They won’t take our AR-15s,” he vows on one post.

He also is still on Facebook. The same messages recur there.

Payne rejected Miguel’s comments.

“The FBI is law enforcement,” the legislator noted, and regardless of how people felt about any enforcement action, including the controversial seizure of documents from Donald Trump‘s Mar-a-Lago, law enforcement should be respected.

Click on the link for the full article

On 8/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, TradeTheBeal! said:

Austin is fantastic.

I lived in San Antonio for a year.  I rather liked it there.  Only been 6 years, but I wonder how much has changed in that short time.  Climate change and Trumpism and make a wild difference.  I know that San Antonio was not wild about Trump during the 2016 election, but I wonder how much that may have changed.

I do remember over-hearing a couple old cowboys having a conversation about hoping Washington D.C. gets hit by a nuclear missile...

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

The GOP of the 2020s has become the Weather Underground of the 1970s.

I see better analogies. 

The Klan of the 50s. 

The Nazis of the 30s. 

And the thought is occurring to me. I'm reflecting. 

On 2016, when half of Republican primary voters thought that making Islam illegal in the US was good American values. 

On politicians all over America deciding that abortion must be banned unless the doctor has admitting privileges at a hospital within one mile "to promote safety". (And then running to the cameras on the Capitol steps to gleefully announce that you just shut down every provider in the state but one.)

On politicians proudly announcing that they just mandated five hour waits for people in cities to vote, and criminalizing efforts to assist people, "because of election security". 

In short, I'm seeing a decades long pattern in which this cult has proudly lied their asses off. And smugly patted themselves on the back, for how clever their latest lie is. 

And to literally maintain that lying their ass off is just the coolest thing because their team is more moral than everybody else.

They know it's a lie. They know everybody else knows it's a lie. 

They've simply decided that lying for the team, is a virtue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Larry said:

And to literally maintain that lying their ass off is just the coolest thing because their team is more moral than everybody else.

They know it's a lie. They know everybody else knows it's a lie. 

They've simply decided that lying for the team, is a virtue. 

Kinda like calling it the Inflation Reduction Act?

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:24 AM, Cooked Crack said:

it irritates me that people like this, the reality is if the feds show up they’d piss their pants, and we don’t have an alternate universe machine to expose that

like those dopes that took over the unoccupied Native American museum and then begged the internet to send them snacks

bunch of dogs that wouldn’t know what to do if they actually caught the car. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Kinda like calling it the Inflation Reduction Act?

No. Not the slightest bit like that. 

And you know it. 

Edit. 

After thinking about it, yes, I've seen worse analogies. 

And my response was excessive. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2