Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think Dan Snyder is broke?

Burgold

Is Dan Snyder cash poor?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is Dan Snyder cash poor?

• Dan Snyder is so broke he needs to borrow money to buy a Happy Meal
    • Dan Snyder is fine, but lacks the liquidity to dole out big signing bonuses
    • Dan Snyder is fine. He's just spending averse after seeing how little good spending sprees did in the 2000's
    • All this Snyder is broke talk is nonsense. It's the Cap! He's limited by the cap and the fact that they need to save cap space for McClauren, Young, etc.

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah but If you follow the breadcrumbs, I think it al goes back to Standig, and all the other media folks are riffing off of it.  

Look, I have no idea.  I absolutely could believe your theory that Snyder has a ton of cash expenses, paying off the loan, new stadium, etc.  And so he’s conserving cash. That theory holds water.

If you told me he was taking a bigger draw of team profits to pay down his loan, I’d would hear you out on that.  

I guess my point is, nobody I’ve heard has actually REPORTED that Snyder has told Ron he’s in a budget.  And they just went out and signed a guy they have to pay $28M cash this year.  

So I think the speculation kindof feeds into the “cycle of negativity.”  Its not helpful.  And we don’t know it to be true.  

It could be true.  It also could not be true.  We really don’t know.  

And I guess I’m not really defending Dan.  And I’m not really giving him the benefit of the doubt. I just don’t know.  And I choose not to speculate.  

It doesn't seem that complex to me.  

Lets say I make $100,000 a year.  But this year, I take out a loan to buy out a business partner for $50,000.  And my kids decided to go to private college and I got to pay out $50,000 a year for the next 4 years to do it.  All of these are new financial circumstances.  Different from before in a big way. And yes it would effect how I go about my money.  And just because it doesn't paralyize me financially doesn't mean that my finances haven't changed.  I wouldn't be going homeless.  I could still spend money but not as much.  Simple as that.

Since my budget is a bit constrained for those reasons, I am a bit judicious with how I spend.  Some like to counter argue that point by saying heck since i can spend ANY money that alone proves that I am not on a budget.  And that seems silly to me.  If I go the mall and want to buy three jerseys and normally I could do that but now I tell myself I can't indulge like I once did so instead of buying 3 jerseys I buy 1.   That's sort of normal life isn't it?  It's not all or nothing.   My friends invite me to go to Ruth's Chris for a $500 meal, I turn it down and instead go to Outback and spend $200.  And its the same thing since either way i am spending money? 

The idea that Standig speculated (and he's far from alone now on this) which is Dan perhaps set a budget and didn't want to exceed it is a bit wild?  Because hey since Dan allowed some spending period that alone defeats the idea that he had a budget?   Again to me its really odd logic and it does come off like defending Dan just to defend him because the money issues point to a different scene for Dan than normal as to his tenure.  It's not that speculative. 

And yeah i don't expect Ron to throw Dan under the bus and air that out.   And i am not even saying its that bad.  If people are looking for something nice to say about Dan if all this is true -- it could be as simple as Dan wants to horde as much money as he can to bring his version of Jerry World to DC. 

Is Dan paying out $875 million dollar loan to pay out his minority partners -- same old, same old?  Heck the same thing happened in 2015 or whatever?   And they are trying to get a stadium.   That Dan supposedly might have to shell out a minimum of 1 billion but Virginia documents indicate it coulld be as high as 2 billion. Heck Dan had to shell out billions for a stadium too in 2018?

It's not a rumor that they are looking for a stadiium.  it's not media fabricated nonsense.  We know its actually true.  Also we know that stadiums costs billions.  That's also not speculation.  It's a fact.  And we've heard actually reported from actual municipal governments that they either don't intended to finance the stadium for Dan -- heck some like Maryland and DC are saying they won't give him a cent and he needs to finance the stadium himself.  Virgina is saying they'd give him 350 million and a document indicated Dan would be financing it himself for about 2 billion. 

It doesn't take wild speculation to deduce that Dan's financial challenges are unique as far as his tenure. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It doesn't seem that complex to me.  

Lets say I make $100,000 a year.  But this year, I take out a loan to buy out a business partner for $50,000.  And my kids decided to go to private college and I got to pay out $50,000 a year for the next 4 years to do it.  All of these are new financial circumstances.  Different from before in a big way. And yes it would effect how I go about my money.  And just because it doesn't paralyize me financially doesn't mean that my finances haven't changed.  I wouldn't be going homeless.  I could still spend money but not as much.  Simple as that.

Since my budget is a bit constrained for those reasons, I am a bit judicious with how I spend.  Some like to counter argue that point by saying heck since i can spend ANY money that alone proves that I am not on a budget.  And that seems silly to me.  If I go the mall and want to buy three jerseys and normally I could do that but now I tell myself I can't indulge like I once did so instead of buying 3 jerseys I buy 1.   That's sort of normal life isn't it?  It's not all or nothing.   My friends invite me to go to Ruth's Chris for a $500 meal, I turn it down and instead go to Outback and spend $200.  And its the same thing since either way i am spending money? 

The idea that Standig speculated (and he's far from alone now on this) which is Dan perhaps set a budget and didn't want to exceed it is a bit wild?  Because hey since Dan allowed some spending period that alone defeats the idea that he had a budget?   Again to me its really odd logic and it does come off like defending Dan just to defend him because the money issues point to a different scene for Dan than normal as to his tenure.  It's not that speculative. 

And yeah i don't expect Ron to throw Dan under the bus and air that out.   And i am not even saying its that bad.  If people are looking for something nice to say about Dan if all this is true -- it could be as simple as Dan wants to horde as much money as he can to bring his version of Jerry World to DC. 

Is Dan paying out $875 million dollar loan to pay out his minority partners -- same old, same old?  Heck the same thing happened in 2015 or whatever?   And they are trying to get a stadium.   That Dan supposedly might have to shell out a minimum of 1 billion but Virginia documents indicate it coulld be as high as 2 billion. Heck Dan had to shell out billions for a stadium too in 2018?

It's not a rumor that they are looking for a stadiium.  it's not media fabricated nonsense.  We know its actually true.  Also we know that stadiums costs billions.  That's also not speculation.  It's a fact.  And we've heard actually reported from actual municipal governments that they either don't intended to finance the stadium for Dan -- heck some like Maryland and DC are saying they won't give him a cent and he needs to finance the stadium himself.  Virgina is saying they'd give him 350 million and a document indicated Dan would be financing it himself for about 2 billion. 

It doesn't take wild speculation to deduce that Dan's financial challenges are unique as far as his tenure. 

Great Post buddy, but in your opinion why wouldn't Snyder sell for let's say 7.5 billion minimum and sail off into the sunset with a 5 billion profit?. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Great Post buddy, but in your opinion why wouldn't Snyder sell for let's say 7.5 billion minimum and sail off into the sunset with a 5 billion profit?. 

I can't speak for SIP, but I imagine we think the same in regards to this...

Owning this team is about prestige and a social vehicle for Snyder, and I'm sure he's promised to pass it down to next generation of Snyders (oh Joy!).  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I can't speak for SIP, but I imagine we think the same in regards to this...

Owning this team is about prestige and a social vehicle for Snyder, and I'm sure he's promised to pass it down to next generation of Snyders (oh Joy!).  

Hopefully all the goings on behind the scenes will force Snyder to sell the team. We desperately need a fresh start for our Commanders 🤞🙏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's important to note that the teams finances and Dans finances are not the same thing. There is a relationship but they are separate.

The cash flow and liquidity of the team in respect of its possible future financing of a stadium is what we should probably be talking about more than Dans personal cash flow and liquidity. Unless Dan is proposing to build and finance the stadium separately and lease it to the team? Even then he would be setting up a separate entity to do that deal and not taking on the debt personally.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It's important to note that the teams finances and Dans finances are not the same thing. There is a relationship but they are separate.

The cash flow and liquidity of the team in respect of its possible future financing of a stadium is what we should probably be talking about more than Dans personal cash flow and liquidity. Unless Dan is proposing to build and finance the stadium separately and lease it to the team? Even then he would be setting up a separate entity to do that deal and not taking on the debt personally.

No doubt and focusing actually on the team finances is what I am aiming at.  It's about the team's cash flow.  For example, its the team has to pay the 2 billion or whatever for the stadium.

The talk for example about Dan spending 50 million for a new house, etc, that's petty change versus paying back an 875 million loan back or putting up billions to buy a stadium.  I'd bet Dan's personal finances are fine.

I can relate in a small way.  I own a business.  And the fluctuations of that business' success effects me personally some but not as dramatic as my ability to invest more or less in my own business moving forward.  Personally I am much more likely to tighten my belt business wise before I do on a personal basis.

Some other owners do have lucrative businesses outside of owning the team and do sometimes invest that money into the team business.  Dan doesn't seem like he's one of those owners so the ebbs and flows of the team's finances might influence him more than it does with some other owners.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Dan is a mysterious guy since he barely ever talks and seems to have few friends.   But judging by some who have talked to the media and supposedly know him a little its that Dan's identity is really tied to this team.  It opens doors to him that he wouldn't have otherwise -- hanging with McConaughey, Tom Cruise, etc.  And heck we know he's a jock sniffer too.  He did stuff like go to Vegas with Portis among other things.  Keim has talked about Dan always needing a friend to hang with at the building relating to when he was hanging with Alex Smith for a spell.  So in short it feels like money is fun but it doesn't buy you a cool social life like what owning a team does.

Some also said that Dan wants to give the team to his kid.   Also some say he genuinely blames others like Vinny and Shanny and Bruce, etc for the team's failures.  And he believes once he has the right people in place the team will finally win and fans will come around on him.  And conversely selling the team means he's admitting failure and he believes the team will end up a winner with him in the end so he's not throwing in the towell.  You can see that some with his attempt to say years ago after he let Bruce go that now "he" will be more involved.  In short, he wanted to convince fans that hey yeah things sucked but that was on Bruce.  Now watch what i do!  So clearly he's delusional.  I recall Sheehan saying that years ago the team polled Dan and Bruce's favorability with fans and were stunned by the results. 

So my guess is Dan's head is in the clouds.  He imagines himself hoisting a SB trophy.  And thinks fans one day will realize that the problem was other people in the organization and not him.  The dude Art who would come on the board and defend Dan over the years more passionately than anyone would more or less go to that well of its been other people's fault -- which is Dan's only problem has been trusting the wrong people to coach the organization. 

Having said that this team is at a crossroads and maybe that changes Dan's outlook about selling the team.  They are rebranding and will see how that goes.  Attendance and TV ratings are on the decline.  He has a major loan to pay off.  And apparently the DMV aren't willing to do much to help him finance a stadium and he desperately needs a new stadium.  By some accounts his other side businesses haven't done hot.  And you have the swirling investigations on top of all of that.  That's a lot of turmoil for him to deal with hitting him all at the same time.

I am sure I come off a bit snarky to those who push back at me on the topic and don't think there is anything to see here with Dan's finances.  But I don't mean to aim the snark at them.  My snark is directed at Dan.  And I get the instinct of Dan is bad but maybe we are bring unfair to him on this or that, maybe its not on Dan but on someone else in this case or maybe the media is just making up a narrative -- i sort of lived with some of those type of thoughts in the Shanny era.   So I can relate to the mindset. 

Not that I was much of a Dan defender ever -- but I had a spell during the Shanny era where i believed that Dan was making an effort to change and maybe people were passing the buck too much to him where it might be others fault.  In retrospect, I was wrong.  Dan was a disaster then as he's been throughout his tenure IMO.  So I am done with giving him the benefit of the doubt.   

I am not saying I have any idea whether Dan's cash flow with the Commanders is hot or not.  But its a constant topic now with the local media, heck just a few minutes ago there was another mention of it on 106.7.  And whether its true or not, I don't see how there is some overwhelming evidence that its not true so we can shurg it off as nonsense.  The evidence seems pointed more towards this being a problem than it does otherwise  Heck even ignoring the media narratives completley if you just focus on the 875 million dollar loan coupled with the Virgina proposal that said that Dan would foot 2 billion dollars or so for the stadium -- that alone at least presents clearly that Dan might not be in his usual place financially, actually not even close unless he has some secret success going on behind the scenes with other business ventures. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, markmills67 said:

What would have Dan left if he sold the team??

How would this little guy make money?

15 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

What would have Dan left if he sold the team??

How would this little guy make money?

Yeah he'd be the poorest 5x Billionaire in the world. I doubt he'd need to depend on a 2nd income.

He borrowed money to buy the team in the first place anyway, so 5 Billion for a dude who has totally screwed up every single business he's been involved with since is a pretty decent lottery ticket. 5 Billion or maybe more for a world class POS loser in everything! 

• Like 3

A broke billionaire. LMAO. C'mon man! I get this is an EXTREME forum, but again, C'MON MAN! A broke NFL owner. There are only 32 of them in THE WORLD and you create a thread asking of one of those 32 is broke. I'd like to have some of whatever you are smokin'. No thanks.

Cash on hand isn’t nearly as important in the salary capped NFL.  Our lack of continued activity in free agency was strategic (wentz, Terry, etc…). You might not agree with the strategy, but it was all dictated by Wentz.  Not doing camp in Richmond might be a sign of cash flow shortages, but don’t worry about Danny, he will be ok.

On 5/19/2022 at 11:42 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan is a mysterious guy since he barely ever talks and seems to have few friends.   But judging by some who have talked to the media and supposedly know him a little its that Dan's identity is really tied to this team.  It opens doors to him that he wouldn't have otherwise -- hanging with McConaughey, Tom Cruise, etc.  And heck we know he's a jock sniffer too.  He did stuff like go to Vegas with Portis among other things.  Keim has talked about Dan always needing a friend to hang with at the building relating to when he was hanging with Alex Smith for a spell.  So in short it feels like money is fun but it doesn't buy you a cool social life like what owning a team does.

Some also said that Dan wants to give the team to his kid.   Also some say he genuinely blames others like Vinny and Shanny and Bruce, etc for the team's failures.  And he believes once he has the right people in place the team will finally win and fans will come around on him.  And conversely selling the team means he's admitting failure and he believes the team will end up a winner with him in the end so he's not throwing in the towell.  You can see that some with his attempt to say years ago after he let Bruce go that now "he" will be more involved.  In short, he wanted to convince fans that hey yeah things sucked but that was on Bruce.  Now watch what i do!  So clearly he's delusional.  I recall Sheehan saying that years ago the team polled Dan and Bruce's favorability with fans and were stunned by the results. 

So my guess is Dan's head is in the clouds.  He imagines himself hoisting a SB trophy.  And thinks fans one day will realize that the problem was other people in the organization and not him.  The dude Art who would come on the board and defend Dan over the years more passionately than anyone would more or less go to that well of its been other people's fault -- which is Dan's only problem has been trusting the wrong people to coach the organization. 

Having said that this team is at a crossroads and maybe that changes Dan's outlook about selling the team.  They are rebranding and will see how that goes.  Attendance and TV ratings are on the decline.  He has a major loan to pay off.  And apparently the DMV aren't willing to do much to help him finance a stadium and he desperately needs a new stadium.  By some accounts his other side businesses haven't done hot.  And you have the swirling investigations on top of all of that.  That's a lot of turmoil for him to deal with hitting him all at the same time.

I am sure I come off a bit snarky to those who push back at me on the topic and don't think there is anything to see here with Dan's finances.  But I don't mean to aim the snark at them.  My snark is directed at Dan.  And I get the instinct of Dan is bad but maybe we are bring unfair to him on this or that, maybe its not on Dan but on someone else in this case or maybe the media is just making up a narrative -- i sort of lived with some of those type of thoughts in the Shanny era.   So I can relate to the mindset. 

Not that I was much of a Dan defender ever -- but I had a spell during the Shanny era where i believed that Dan was making an effort to change and maybe people were passing the buck too much to him where it might be others fault.  In retrospect, I was wrong.  Dan was a disaster then as he's been throughout his tenure IMO.  So I am done with giving him the benefit of the doubt.   

I am not saying I have any idea whether Dan's cash flow with the Commanders is hot or not.  But its a constant topic now with the local media, heck just a few minutes ago there was another mention of it on 106.7.  And whether its true or not, I don't see how there is some overwhelming evidence that its not true so we can shurg it off as nonsense.  The evidence seems pointed more towards this being a problem than it does otherwise  Heck even ignoring the media narratives completley if you just focus on the 875 million dollar loan coupled with the Virgina proposal that said that Dan would foot 2 billion dollars or so for the stadium -- that alone at least presents clearly that Dan might not be in his usual place financially, actually not even close unless he has some secret success going on behind the scenes with other business ventures. 

Ah, I remember the good ole days when Art and others would cape for Lord Farquaad endlessly. Eventually, even he gave up and decided to "spend more time with the family". When dyed in the wool guys like that finally see the light, pretty much everyone else has too.

That said, it's a testament to the power of a legal monopoly like the NFL that even a toxic idiot like Farquaad can't go broke. Too much of his money may be tied up in team equity, but if cash flow really becomes a problem, he can always take on a bit more debt.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:18 PM, BleedBNG said:

you-know-shes-5a7cfa.jpg

Edited by The Sisko

• 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Cmon you really can’t be that naïve. It’s not about Dan being broke but what he cash he can produce on hand. Yes Dan is WORTH $4billion but that doesn’t mean he has $4billion in cash on hand until he sells his assets and even then it depends on what he gets for those assets. He can also borrow off his assets to produce cash. 

Elon Musk is the richest person in the world. In his bid to take Twitter private it cost $43billion or 1/6th of his net worth. However to buy twitter he will fork over $3 billion of his “cash on hand” but he also needs to borrow another $39 billion against his Tesla stock or Space X to make the all cash offer. 

Get it?

@skinsfan93 There is no need for the snark. 

Moving on to the topic:  Now including  @Voice_of_Reason @Skinsinparadise  

You are all making this way too hard to try and make your point - also, we probably have to define the difference between cash flow and cash on hand. 

Cash Flow - it's the cash moving in and out of a business or in a household if we want to go that small. 

Cash on Hand - Actual Liquid Cash 

I could see him not have much cash on hand. That would be stupid and why he (and other owners) want to keep from providing cash and having sit in an account doing nothing. They prefer to have it make money for them. 

As for Cash flow, yes a lot of that worth is tied up in the team but it's still NET worth. This means he is NOT over leveraged or his NET worth would be lower. But at $4B in NET worth he can borrow against that or sell assets or leverage those assets against other assets. This makes him cash flush at any time he wants. Again, if he were over leveraged that is when he would have a problem but his NET worth would be lower. 

He will not need to show $3B in cash to build the stadium. He will leverage the stadium value, both interim and final, to other short and long term investors to ultimately finance the stadium. No way he tries to 100% self fund. But Ok he may have to put $1B in. But his net worth would go up, providing more assets to leverage. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

As for Cash flow, yes a lot of that worth is tied up in the team but it's still NET worth. This means he is NOT over leveraged or his NET worth would be lower. But at $4B in NET worth he can borrow against that or sell assets or leverage those assets against other assets. This makes him cash flush at any time he wants. Again, if he were over leveraged that is when he would have a problem but his NET worth would be lower. 

Yeh he doesn’t need to have Cash at Bank as I would term it, he simply needs to have a favourable net assets position. He looks just fine in that regard to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

There is no need for the snark. 

Not being snarky … my apologies if it came across that way. I just don’t see how you don’t get it.

The point I’m making is that in order to sign Terry or any lucrative free agent, he needs to pay the signing bonus up front. That’s what the Rams have done with Stafford, Donald, Kupp, Wagner and Robinson. Could he pay the $20-25 million up front to Terry? I’m sure he or the team can considering each team equally shares NFL revenues. At the same time, I believe he is a bit stretched on the ability to do so.

The Broncos are about to be sold for $5billion so we are certainly worth as much if not more so Dan has a high net worth.  So is he broke or going homeless anytime soon. Absolutely not but I don’t think he has the funds other owners have. And let’s not forget the allegations of the team withholding some of the ticket sales? 

Bottom line - I think we all would want the guy to sell the team but I don’t see that happening. Guy is simply the worst owner in the league. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

@skinsfan93 There is no need for the snark. 

Moving on to the topic:  Now including  @Voice_of_Reason @Skinsinparadise  

You are all making this way too hard to try and make your point - also, we probably have to define the difference between cash flow and cash on hand. 

Cash Flow - it's the cash moving in and out of a business or in a household if we want to go that small. 

Cash on Hand - Actual Liquid Cash 

I could see him not have much cash on hand. That would be stupid and why he (and other owners) want to keep from providing cash and having sit in an account doing nothing. They prefer to have it make money for them. 

He will not need to show $3B in cash to build the stadium. He will leverage the stadium value, both interim and final, to other short and long term investors to ultimately finance the stadium. No way he tries to 100% self fund. But Ok he may have to put $1B in. But his net worth would go up, providing more assets to leverage. 

The point in play for me is simple. And my point here isn't to counter your take.  I am just explaining my own logic to my thoughts.

My argument isn't that Dan can't get hold of more money or his finances are in distress.   As long as the team's value increases, his net worth increases, too.  So Dan will always be VERY rich unless somehow the NFL as a business falls apart out of nowhere. 

I've had my bank tell me several times, take out a business loan, I have enough capital-assets to do it.  I haven't done so because I don't want to overleverage myself.  I can max out all my credit cards and pay them all off over time without breaking a sweat.  I haven't done that either.    I have a stock account where I have some margin that I can play with beyond the money I got there.  I don't do that either.

Some say the money we talk about for ourselves is peanuts for Dan.  That's true.  But the scale of expenses for Dan is also off the charts compared to what we have.

Just because for example $10,000 for most of us would be a lot of money but for Dan it would be pocket change -- doesn't mean that $1 to 2 billion for Dan is likewise pocket change.  I had to pay off a $40,000 college loan when I graduated. For Dan that's nothing.  But that doesn't mean paying off an $875 million loan is nothing.

In another life, eons ago i got a certificate in finanical planning.  I was a CNBC freak back then and I thought it would be a fun way to make a living but I got off the train really fast.  And I forgot much of what i learned.  But I did digest in a big way the power of compounding.  And that power is much more intense for rich folks -- for better or worse.  Making interest on lets say 500 million dollars helps foster generational wealth.  Conversely, Dan adding to that and having lets say 2.5 billion out combined in loans that you are paying interest for -- that can really add up to a lot of dough to pay out considering how off the charts the principal is, and in turn your revenue better catch up fast if you aren't that liquid and your net worth is mostly tied to the value of the business itself.

I assume Dan has a financial advisor.  Hard for me to believe that whomever that dude is they are advising Dan not to worry about leveraging himself much further than he already is. 20% or so of his net worth right now has to be paid back in a loan.  That's a good size loan.  Somehow i am doubting he could on top of that putting 1 to 2 billion in another loan without having to sweat any other major expense.

I am not talking about whether Dan wins or loses over the long haul.  I agree he wins because the new stadium and all the trappings with it will ultimately catch up to his loans and how he's leveraged himself.

But speaking for THIS given time.  I don't agree with those who think that Dan's finances is in no different situation that any other time.  In fact, i am not even close on agreement on that -- i am on a different galaxy on that point let alone different planet.

And again my point isn't Dan is suffering or is in financial dire straits.  My point is his finances is likely not business as usual this year compared to normal.  And I am backtracking my dig at Ron for punting on the Terry contract until the summer because he can't walk and chew gum at the same time to now believing this is what Dan wanted.

And at a minimum even if anyone disagrees with all of that.  At a minimum even if Dan's liquidity is terrific, I do buy Breer's point about holding on to the money for as long as possible to make interest on it. 

Anyway, whether he has the money or not, it's ridiculously dumb to watch WR's salary go up at least 5M a year in a few months and try to be the last one to sign one of the most obvious signing of all of these. 

It's like trying to save money in a .5% savings account while the house you want to buy is increasing 25% a year. Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!

• Like 3