Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Sam Howell QB North Carolina

PCS

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The second scout should be fired on the spot for obviously being wrong.

He missed the Howell Hortative, too. 

There is almost always an over the top negative guy in the mix of their takes on players -- just about any player.

I'll say this most of the PFF guys I've listened to love Howell.

Not that it matters either way.

I posted on another thread what they thought of Brian Robinson, on the aggregate the scouts ranked him as the 4th best RB in the draft, impressive, but of course there is a narrative from one scout in that mix that Robinson is just a guy. 😀  I got to find a pure positive take on any player, not sure that exists with those guys.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted on another thread what they thought of Brian Robinson, on the aggregate the scouts ranked him as the 4th best RB in the draft, impressive, but of course there is a narrative from one scout in that mix that Robinson is just a guy. 😀  I got to find a pure positive take on any player, not sure that exists with those guys.

They were so close on BRob. He's RB3, obviously, because I think so. The pros are off by 1. But that's okay, the amateur is here to correct them. Except the 1 guy who said he's a JAG. Clearly he plays for the Commanders and not Jacksonville. Guy is clearly lost and needs a map. 

• Like 1

I went back and watched a lot more tape on Howell last night. One thing I think I noticed in this past season is that either his coaches didnt trust him or his receivers very much in clutch situations. NC ran the ball A LOT in 3 and 4 or 3rd and 3. That concerns me. Because if Howell is your franchise guy you should want the ball in his hands in those situations. Again. I have no idea if that tendency was due to Howell or their lack of receivers. Although he did have Josh Downs who is clearly one of the best WR's in the nation. 

Another thing I noticed is Howell's inconsistency in reading defenses. One play he will progress through his reads and go to target 2 or 3. And the next he will make a single read then take off running. Again. No idea if this is by design from his OC. Their OL was utter garbage this year. Howell had little to no time at all the majority of his passing plays. The flip side of this is opposing defenses knew their OL was trash and blitzed Howell relentlessly. This fact skews his #1 rating facing pressure in College football. Because he faced pressure on every single down. 

On the bright side. Howell is only 21 years old, he was productive for 3 seasons and he had the strongest arm in this group of quarterbacks based on his combine numbers. He threw a ball 59 MPH at the combine. I also went back and watched that tape again. He threw a couple of dirt balls on outs to the right. But other than that he really threw the ball well there. He appears to love the game. Which is a huge factor in future success. Is clearly smart. Scored highly on the wonderlic. So there is a really nice piece of clay here to mold. Lets hope we have the right artist to mold him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I went back and watched a lot more tape on Howell last night. One thing I think I noticed in this past season is that either his coaches didnt trust him or his receivers very much in clutch situations. NC ran the ball A LOT in 3 and 4 or 3rd and 3. That concerns me. Because if Howell is your franchise guy you should want the ball in his hands in those situations. Again. I have no idea if that tendency was due to Howell or their lack of receivers. Although he did have Josh Downs who is clearly one of the best WR's in the nation. 

Another thing I noticed is Howell's inconsistency in reading defenses. One play he will progress through his reads and go to target 2 or 3. And the next he will make a single read then take off running. Again. No idea if this is by design from his OC. Their OL was utter garbage this year. Howell had little to no time at all the majority of his passing plays. The flip side of this is opposing defenses knew their OL was trash and blitzed Howell relentlessly. This fact skews his #1 rating facing pressure in College football. Because he faced pressure on every single down. 

On the bright side. Howell is only 21 years old, he was productive for 3 seasons and he had the strongest arm in this group of quarterbacks based on his combine numbers. He threw a ball 59 MPH at the combine. I also went back and watched that tape again. He threw a couple of dirt balls on outs to the right. But other than that he really threw the ball well there. He appears to love the game. Which is a huge factor in future success. Is clearly smart. Scored highly on the wonderlic. So there is a really nice piece of clay here to mold. Lets hope we have the right artist to mold him. 

You're holding things against Howell that had nothing to do with Howell. The OL was horrendous. You said that, but then went ahead and knocked him for it by saying his #1 rating doesn't count. Yes, he faced pressure every down. Now, let's see how most guys produce standing in the pocket with pressure breathing down your neck on every play.

Josh Downs was a good receiver, for sure. But Howell was a big part of their running game. 850ish yards. Lots of RPOs. And teams knew Downs was basically the only weapon on that offense outside of Howell. The RB wasn't bad, either. But Howell, the RB and Downs were the only 3 anyone had to account for. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There is almost always an over the top negative guy in the mix of their takes on players -- just about any player.

"Tom Brady, just an ok dude. Bad haircut. Misses throws no other QB on the planet could make. Hard to trust guys like that. Lost a few Super Bowls. Married to a 9/10, so he left some on the field there. Runs an 8 second 40. Hard to trust the lack of athleticism. Kisses his children on the mouth; may or may not be legal. Could end up in jail.

Grade: UDFA"

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

"Tom Brady, just an ok dude. Bad haircut. Misses throws no other QB on the planet could make. Hard to trust guys like that. Lost a few Super Bowls. Married to a 9/10, so he left some on the field there. Runs an 8 second 40. Hard to trust the lack of athleticism. Kisses his children on the mouth; may or may not be legal. Could end up in jail.

Grade: UDFA"

Were you the guy who posted the Pope prospects scouting reports back in the day? That might have been my all time favorite  Extremeskins post.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

You're holding things against Howell that had nothing to do with Howell.

I said that in my comment. Possibly his OC and HC didnt trust him in 3rd and medium distances due to his poor Oline. Or possibly they simply didnt trust him period. Everything that went wrong last year wasnt Howell's fault. But lets not act like he wasnt horrid at times either. His tape from the VT game was awful. And NC states tape isnt much better. Stinker games are gonna happen. But not usually in college from what would be considered a franchise NFL QB. And that after already having two full seasons as a starter. Again. He was a 5th round pick. Which with his age and arm strength makes him a steal alone. But he is going to need far more development than I even thought after watching him the first time. 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I said that in my comment. Possibly his OC and HC didnt trust him in 3rd and medium distances due to his poor Oline. Or possibly they simply didnt trust him period. Everything that went wrong last year wasnt Howell's fault. But lets not act like he wasnt horrid at times either. His tape from the VT game was awful. And NC states tape isnt much better. Stinker games are gonna happen. But not usually in college from what would be considered a franchise NFL QB. And that after already having two full seasons as a starter. Again. He was a 5th round pick. Which with his age and arm strength makes him a steal alone. But he is going to need far more development than I even thought after watching him the first time. 

Ya, your bias is creeping in here. So we'll agree to disagree on all of this except he had a couple of bad games.

The coaches not trusting a guy who started for three years is an interesting take. 

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

I don't get the reference, but it does sound like something I would do 😆

Back when the Catholic Church was deciding on the next Pope, someone made a thread listing all the candidates, with photos and pitch-perfect football-type scouting reports on them.  It was one of the funnier posts I can remember.

Something like:

Marc Ouillet - Canada

Ouellet-Marc.jpg.webp

Height: 5'6"

Weight: 145

40 time: 23.67 seconds

- Ouillet is a McGill Seminary grad. Voted three-time parish Deacon of the Year in 1983-85. Once downed 18 meatballs at a Knights of Columbus spaghetti dinner. Brings his A game on Sundays but tends to slack off during daily masses. Prefers rectory "down-time" during the week to daily mass prep.  Strong incense game, showing ambidexterous thurible skills. High-mass singing needs work.  

Grade: 2 1/2 Hail Marys

• Like 4
  • Haha 14
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Man I really hope Dyami takes a huge Sophomore leap with a QB that can throw a deep ball.

I've been following his YouTube series about his offseason and it really seems like he's putting in the work on his route running.

If we finessed the draft and come out of this thing with Sam Howell starting on year 2/3 of his 5th round contract on an absolutely LOADED roster (if he shows promise and we go all in on FAs one offseason)... That's how you catch lightning in a bottle and win a chip.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Man I really hope Dyami takes a huge Sophomore leap with a QB that can throw a deep ball.

I've been following his YouTube series about his offseason and it really seems like he's putting in the work on his route running.

If we finessed the draft and come out of this thing with Sam Howell starting on year 2/3 of his 5th round contract on an absolutely LOADED roster (if he shows promise and we go all in on FAs one offseason)... That's how you catch lightning in a bottle and win a chip.

Thanks for posting that yt link! Dude looks like he's really putting in the work. I laugh at all these fools already calling him a bust. I think he'll wind up a solid piece of offense now that we've got some arm strength at qb. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, duffy said:

Thanks for posting that yt link! Dude looks like he's really putting in the work. I laugh at all these fools already calling him a bust. I think he'll wind up a solid piece of offense now that we've got some arm strength at qb. 

We also took some pressure off of him with Dotson. Different positions but now there are more talented receivers on the offense. Brown is going to do fine this year.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Howell is the perfect QB to learn under Carson.  The Commanders have a ton of talent now at WR and TE.  This about Howell from PFF:

2022 NFL Draft Position Rankings: Quarterbacks | College Football | PFF

Overall ranking from all players in the draft and writeup:

2. SAM HOWELL, NORTH CAROLINA

BIG BOARD RANK: 34

Howell may have taken a step back as a passer, but he proved to be a legitimate threat as a runner this season. He broke an absurd 63 tackles and ran for 1,072 yards in 2021.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Some of you ******* are acting like you haven't been through quarterback controversies before.

Quite frankly, I'm embarrassed to be associated with you.  I thought you were battle-hardened.  I thought you knew what was up.  I thought the pain, suffering and agony of a quarterback controversy wasn't something you candy-ass puppy piss pumping chumps didn't run away from but something you ran TOWARDS.

****, this **** runs in our BLOOD.  This **** is something that has been going on with this franchise since before some of us were BORN.  I was put to bed by stories of "I like Sonny/I like Billy" and the bumper stickers that were plastered all over this town with each Redskins fan claiming their guy.  Schroeder/Williams.  Rypien/Anyone.  Shuler/Frerotte.  Johnson/George.  Matthews/Ramsey/Wuerffel/Spurrier.  Campbell/Collins.  RG3/Cousins.  Heinicke/Allen.

And I know I'm forgetting some, but now you guys are cowering at the thought of a Wentz/Howell controversy?  What the **** am I seeing here? 

Do you know who we are?  We're the inmate doing a 40 year stint.  Sitting in the corner in the yard, jacked as ****, muscles rippling, bulging, everyone in that yard knowing we're the old guy not to **** with.  We've been through WARS.  And we get up each morning and hit the weights in the yard, benching twice as much as ******* half our age.

New guy, Titan walks in, thinks he's got a quarterback controversy.  Tannehill/Willis?  **** outta here with that ****, meat.  You think you got a quarterback controversy?  YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I'VE BEEN.  YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE SEEN.

Wentz/Howell?  **** please.  Sack the **** up, we've been here before.

My favorite part of it is that the past 30 years, it's basically been a debate between "---- and ----ier". Kind of relates to the people bashing the critiques of the draft in the draft thread. Its been 30 years. You guys still think the media is wrong and the team is right at this point when it comes to critiques? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RWJ said:

Howell is the perfect QB to learn under Carson.  The Commanders have a ton of talent now at WR and TE.  This about Howell from PFF:

2022 NFL Draft Position Rankings: Quarterbacks | College Football | PFF

Overall ranking from all players in the draft and writeup:

2. SAM HOWELL, NORTH CAROLINA

BIG BOARD RANK: 34

Howell may have taken a step back as a passer, but he proved to be a legitimate threat as a runner this season. He broke an absurd 63 tackles and ran for 1,072 yards in 2021.

Really goes to show just how little consensus there was on this QB class. There were tons of scout/media boards and most of them looked different. I'm curious how different various teams' QB boards were during the draft.

Taking PFF's ranking there into account the QB draft fell like this: 4th, 3rd, 1st, 5th, 7th, 2nd

*shrug*