Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

47 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

most tech companies are laying off people. Those are the facts.

Big Tech companies routinely go through layoff cycles as the economy goes up/down. 

there’s a whole website for tracking it. It’s used, in part, to help figure out where to go look for new jobs. 

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

Big Tech companies routinely go through layoff cycles as the economy goes up/down. 

there’s a whole website for tracking it. It’s used, in part, to help figure out where to go look for new jobs. 

I know, that is my point. Yes Twitter laid people off in November. But it’s not unique. It just follows an existing trend.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I know, that is my point. Yes Twitter laid people off in November. But it’s not unique. It just follows an existing trend.

Um. 

the reports are mass firings to avoid severance agreements part of the buyout etc 

no, that’s not run of the mill layoffs in the tech sector.  They’re already filing lawsuits….

I have no idea how well backed the claims are but no, you can’t just ignore those and declare they’re typical tech sector layoffs. Come on. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I have no idea how well backed the claims are but no,

Alright then. Yell when you have some evidence. And for clarification, I’m not referring to the board member firings. Those were obviously personal for Elon though I suppose he could try to say they were fired for cause, glwt.

I am curious what you think the layoffs of 25-50% of Twitter staff is if it isn’t just another layoff. Coupled with the fact that someone pointed out the yearly interest payments on loans Musk took to pay for Twitter are about the same as the amount of revenue that Tesla generates in a year, and  coupled with the fact the tech sector as a whole is cutting jobs, this seems like just another necessary run of the mill layoff. The fact that Musk is doing it is the only thing that makes it spicy.

My point is making Elon out to be especially bad because he laid people off (which is the gist of the tweet I was responding too) like any other company does is dishonest. Eg, a narrative. 

6 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

I find both of them unusable for text content. They are so structured around images and short videos. They seem to be more focussed on competing with TikTok

That's because you are over the age of ten and still have a few brain cells left to rub together.

6 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Why do his tweets always read like Trump said them?

Also 

FAKE NEWS!! This is the biggest WITCH HUNT in the history of America. We're going to uncover the undercover anti-Boer meanness folks. Just you wait. It's gonna be yuuuuge!

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I would imagine American advertisers make up >50 perecent of the total revenue of Twitter.

I think what will happen is that he will default on the interest payments, the banks will take his share of the company, and resell to someone else. Probably by

the end of 2023.

Those narratives don’t make any sense. If your company culture was destroyed in 4 days it wasn’t that great to begin with and most tech companies are laying off people. Those are the facts.

I disagree with Elon that this is all other peoples fault though. He handled everything pretty poorly and is surprised it blew up in his face. I don’t think anyone but him is to blame for advertisers leaving, and I don’t think it’s unfair, and think it is an expression of speech. But no need to post bull**** to support the argument, I think.

C'mon people. It's not nice to hack CC84's account.

27 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

C'mon people. It's not nice to hack CC84's account.

I never said I thought it was a good move for Elon to buy Twitter, that he was doing it the right way, or that it wouldn’t end in anything other than disaster for him. I’ve been agreeing with me 🤷‍♀️ 

I just disagree with the bad arguments, false narratives, ect that people want to use to support how they feel about Elons Twitter quagmire… 

I don’t know why someone with autism thought they could manage a social media platform. Autism makes social skills more difficult. And I think running a social network takes a lot of social skills. You can see how that is working on for Elon. He should have stuck to cars and rockets. 

Civil rights leaders call for all advertisers to stop spending on Twitter

While Elon Musk complains publicly about advertisers abandoning Twitter due to activist pressure, a coalition of civil rights groups is escalating a call for brands to halt spending on the platform in light of what they see as inflammatory rhetoric and problematic policy changes from the company’s new owner.

The coalition, dubbed #StopToxicTwitter, consists of organizations including Media Matters, Free Press, Accountable Tech and Color of Change. Earlier this week, the coalition sent a letter to companies including Amazon, Anheuser-Busch, Apple, Capital One, Coca-Cola, Disney and Procter & Gamble to voice their concerns to Musk about what the group sees as increased hate and offensive speech on the platform.

The coalition is now urging companies to pause spending on Twitter, fearing that widespread layoffs at the company could impede the social media platform’s ability to moderate content on the site.

Click on the link for the full article

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Alright then. Yell when you have some evidence. And for clarification, I’m not referring to the board member firings. Those were obviously personal for Elon though I suppose he could try to say they were fired for cause, glwt.

I am curious what you think the layoffs of 25-50% of Twitter staff is if it isn’t just another layoff. Coupled with the fact that someone pointed out the yearly interest payments on loans Musk took to pay for Twitter are about the same as the amount of revenue that Tesla generates in a year, and  coupled with the fact the tech sector as a whole is cutting jobs, this seems like just another necessary run of the mill layoff. The fact that Musk is doing it is the only thing that makes it spicy.

My point is making Elon out to be especially bad because he laid people off (which is the gist of the tweet I was responding too) like any other company does is dishonest. Eg, a narrative. 

it’s desperate cost cutting plus making a statement re: work this many hours plus sleep here bull**** 

and part of the desperation is due to loans he took to finance his idiotic purchase 

no. It’s not just another round of layoffs. Maybe if you followed tech sector layoffs you’d understand why this isn’t what the usually layoffs are about 

• Thumb up 1

Maybe content and advertising is not central to Musk’s plan for Twitter. It still doesn’t explain why he **** the bed so badly in the short term.

A number of folks think he wants to revisit his time at PayPal and build a payments platform

https://www.pymnts.com/news/payment-methods/2022/musks-twitter-as-payments-app-narrative-gains-steam/amp/

And regarding layoffs and culture, firing senior executives  (who are mostly seen as competent by employees) for cause and then 50% of staff will wipe out any ability to retain and recruit quality tech staff.

Any potential hire who is not an idiot understands that company growth fuels the likelihood of making money on options. Radical cost cutting means employees just do a lot more work for uncertain future payoff.

• Like 2

Twitter loses a lot of money, despite collecting a good amount of revenue, and the company no longer public.  I understand why this discussion is political, but I can’t imagine anyone looking at the business side of this is surprised to see layoffs.   Deep cuts were inevitable.  

Now he has to turn his focus on delivering brand safety to advertisers, who make up 90% of twitters revenue.  How he’s going to do that after firing much of his content moderation staff remains to be seen.  He’s entirely aware of needing to do this though, and has been from the start.  I imagine that he’s got a plan to do this, and it will be interesting to see what he comes up with.  

I’m disappointed with his verification plan.  I was hoping to see everyone having to be verified to some extent.  There are far too many phony accounts on twitter.  Seems like he gone the other way and is trying to convert it into another revenue stream.  Risky move that might chase important content creators off the app.  Those are hard to lure back once you lose them.

• Like 1

Why would he tweet something that stupid?  He’s trying to make advertisers comfortable with new leadership and interested in working with twitter… and he threatens them?  He has a habit of saying stupid **** that doesn’t help him.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

11 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Twitter will be nothing but a cesspool.

all social media is a cesspool.  You have to carefully guide your exposure to it because one wrong click sends you down a path of madness.  People that are perpetually on social media are all radicalized.  They all imagine extreme, and deeply unpopular, political views are normal.  They all get bombarded by fear and horrors until they become convinced life is much worse than it is.

Social media is a vice.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2