Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

11 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How many people need to be verified. I’m thinking the people who need to be verified will make much more than the 20/mo subscription….

Bingo.

News organizations, international journalists, Government officials, it's not jus folks saying random stuff on Twitter. 

This Deep Fake stuff is serious business, any opportunity for folks to help prove they are who they say they are online because it matters will pay that $20 until there's a better platform to move to (which word on the street Dorsey is working on with Musk's blessing).

Edited by Renegade7

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Bingo.

News organizations, international journalists, Government officials, it's not jus folks saying random stuff on Twitter. 

Are there many millions though? 

And if Twitter does become a hellscape there could well be platforms to replace it such as an updated RSS feed technology or similar. I’d be completely happy with a few dozen trusted news sources that I subscribe to and not see idiots replying and commenting with the same old gifs.

Edited by Corcaigh

3 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Are there many millions though? 

I'm not sure we disagreeing here.  It won't make a dent revenue-wise, if that's their goal, it's dumb, but the idea some folks that are doing it won't do it because it's $20 a month, nope, not until something fills the needs of Twitter as well or better then Twitter does.

3 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

And if Twitter does become a hellscape there could well be platforms to replace it such as an updated RSS feed technology or similar. I’d be completely happy with a few dozen trusted news sources that I subscribe to and not see idiots replying and commenting with the same old gifs.

I, too, am ready to jus go back to RSS, I don't really read comments anyway. But getting updates directly from respected sources on CyberSecurity like DISA follwed by folks in the field, Twitter works so something has to do it better.

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Youtube seems like the natural successor to twitter. Not sure how it could be done completely, but I'm sure they can/will come up with something. 

you haven’t spent much time in YouTube’s comment sections have you?  Well, don’t start now.  Just pretend they don’t exist.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How many people need to be verified. I’m thinking the people who need to be verified will make much more than the 20/mo subscription….

240 dollars a year is nothing if it helps you professionally.  I don’t think that’s a deal breaker.  It will likely also create an incentive to open up verification to more people as additional revenue, which is good.  I was actually hoping he’d force everyone to get verified on some level.  I have a feeling that there is an alarming amount of duplicate accounts and bots.

normally I wouldn’t care, but the mainstream media likes to use twitter trends as evidence for or against issues, and twitter really seems to grant outsized attention to fringe groups and deeply unpopular political fringe opinions.

if I was Elon and I was doing this “for humanity” (I don’t believe he is, btw), I’d add a dislike button and force anyone that wants more than a hundred followers to be verified to some degree.  Make sure they exist and are who they claim to be.  Next, remove all duplicate accounts and bots.  I’d also add an expert check mark that verified credentials, and this would be entirely free of charge.  It would say exactly what a person is an expert in so that people we should be listening to are more prominently displayed.  No more fake doctors peddling bull****.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

We can only hope he will be as positively transformative for Twitter as he was for Tesla and SpaceX.

Start out the gate isn’t good.

:ols:

He's a **** boss. Making people come back into the office for no specific reason, threatening to fire them if they don't, making everyone miserable. Expects everyone to work 12 hour days. All that sort of crap.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

We can only hope he will be as positively transformative for Twitter as he was for Tesla and SpaceX.

Start out the gate isn’t good.

Those companies build things. Twitter is his ****posting app. Nothing has pointed to this being a positive transformation.

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Twitter plans to cut 25% of their workforce.  I wonder if Elon will allow any critism of him or his companies?

I'd say he already has established he will by taking his own response down to Hillary about Pelosi's Husband's attacker. 

I cannot imagine what that comments section looked like, life comes at you fast when it comes to "free speech".

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'd say he already has established he will by taking his own response down to Hillary about Pelosi's Husband's attacker. 

I cannot imagine what that comments section looked like, life comes at you fast when it comes to "free speech".

he should have deleted it, but he also should have apologized.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Agreed, and saying he shouldn't of posted it in the first place really has nothing to do with fact he didn't mass ban people for calling him out on that.

I don't expect an apology because it comes across like his interpretation of "free speech" shouldn't require one.  Which is really freedom from accountability, not freedom of speech.

Edited by Renegade7

I wonder how long it will be before Elon is sick of running Twitter and having to be an adult instead of just a regular everyday social media troll.

Though so far it doesn't look like the "be an adult" thing has happened yet so he might just run it like a child until it completely blows up in his face.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

He should never have posted it.  It killed any bit of credibility he had for being a responsible steward of the so-called "public square."

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 4