Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

With respect to the different ideas about attacking Russia -

don’t give a **** what it will let Russia say. They will say whatever they want to say. They already do. 

the only factor that matters is what it means for the war and the Ukrainian people. And in some regard what it means for the international community (or the ones we care about) and what they think. 

If you’re basing your decision on what it means putin could say about it, then you aren’t really paying attention. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Poland to cut all Russian oil imports while Germany warns on gas supplies

Poland will take steps to cut Russian oil imports by the end of 2022, the prime minister said Wednesday, as Germany triggered an early warning level for natural gas supplies and called on consumers to save energy amid Russia's war in Ukraine.

Poland has already largely reduced its dependence on Russian oil, Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said.

Morawiecki told a news conference that Poland was launching the most radical plan among European nations to wean off Russian energy sources.

Poland said Tuesday it was banning imports of Russian coal. Morawiecki said he expects gas imports will be cut in May.

Poland is calling on other European Union countries to also cut dependence on fuel imports from Russia. Poland argues that money from oil and gas exports are fueling Russia's war machine and that that should stop.

Click on the link for the full article

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The reason why I want Russia attacked- the appropriate war targets; if the war actually hits Russia at home; it will damage Putin. Yeah, the people will rally around Putin but the military/government people will not like that Putin's invasion has actually come to mother Russia.  If military/government targets are damaged or destroyed in Russia; the military might be more willing to remove Putin.

Russia has already been "hit", you seen their economy and panic buying?  The second the stock market reopens thats going to be a different country overnight, why they keep pushing it off. They don't need bombs to get any message that this isn't going well.

Military can't remove Putin, that's a coup that could lead to a civil war, what you want is their version of impeachment, which still is unlikely considering the number of loyalist left in Russia still.

Saying Ukraine attacking targets in Russia could galvanize Russian peoples support of Putin flies right in the face of encouraging them to then get rid of him.

Be patient.

Edited by Renegade7

41 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I don’t want Russia attacked militarily, I want muscovites eating their shoes this winter…and I’ll get it!

I don't want either one.

I'd like to see this resolved long before winter by the Russian people.

If forced to pick a side I am with Ukraine, but the side I'd like to have an option on is "No one is digging mass graves"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Russia has already been "hit", you seen their economy and panic buying?  The second the stock market reopens thats going to be a different country overnight, why they keep pushing it off. They don't need bombs to get any message that this isn't going well.

Military can't remove Putin, that's a coup that could lead to a civil war, what you want is their version of impeachment, which still is unlikely considering the number of loyalist left in Russia still.

Saying Ukraine attacking targets in Russia could galvanize Russian peoples support of Putin flies right in the face of encouraging them to then get rid of him.

Be patient.

They did reopen their stock market, though with limits in place (like no foreign holders being allowed to sell until today)

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-business-europe-stock-markets-f5653a258caf9c9ad100b853b81317b2

It hasn't dropped as precipitously as I'd hoped. They seem to have staved off the complete collapse that was expected, sadly.

That's the thing, between the Russian ability to absorb suffering, and the iron-fisted management, they just might scrape through this. And the takeaway will be, we can do what we want, we just have to outlast the West. It's frustrating to watch happen.

• Like 1

Ukrainian drone unit Aerorozvidka eager to strike at night “when Russians sleep”

“In the night it’s impossible to see our drones,” said an Aerorozvidka soldier, who asked not to be named for security reasons. “We look specifically for the most valuable truck in the convoy and then we hit it precisely and we can do it really well with very low collateral damage — even in the villages it’s possible. You can get much closer at night.”

Ukrainian-drone-unit-Aerorozvidka-strike

i2vDPYe.jpeg

lgV2D6U.jpeg

2ArnGp8.jpeg

https://twitter.com/ElBeardsley/status/1509468052202692611

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

I don't want either one.

I'd like to see this resolved long before winter by the Russian people.

If forced to pick a side I am with Ukraine, but the side I'd like to have an option on is "No one is digging mass graves"

There already are mass graves in Mariupol. No more mass graves sounds good, but what will convince the Russians to stop?

Edited by Switchgear
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Switchgear said:

i2vDPYe.jpeg

lgV2D6U.jpeg

2ArnGp8.jpeg

There already are mass graves in Mariupol. No more mass graves sounds good, but what will convince the Russians to stop?

I had JUST finished reading that on Twitter and came here to post it. Unbelievable and so very reflecting of what's going on here with trump's disinformation. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Russia Drafts 134,500 Conscripts but Says They Won't Go to Ukraine

President Vladimir Putin on Thursday signed a decree ordering 134,500 new conscripts into the army as part of Russia's annual spring draft, but the defence ministry said the call-up had nothing to do with the war in Ukraine.

The order came five weeks into Russia's invasion, which has run into fierce Ukrainian resistance. Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Tuesday that none of those called up would be sent to any "hot spots".

The issue of conscripts' involvement in the war is highly sensitive. On March 9, the defence ministry acknowledged that some had been sent to Ukraine after Putin had denied this on various occasions, saying only professional soldiers and officers had been sent in.

Putin's spokesman said at the time that the president had ordered military prosecutors to investigate and punish the officials responsible for disobeying his instructions to exclude conscripts.

The annual spring military draft, which runs from April 1 to July 15, will affect Russian men between the ages of 18 and 27, Putin's decree said.

Shoigu said on Tuesday that those called up would begin to be dispatched to their assigned bases in late May.

"Most military personnel will undergo professional training in training centres for three to five months. Let me emphasize that recruits will not be sent to any hot spots," he said in remarks published on his ministry's website.

However, Mikhail Benyash, a lawyer representing several members of Russia's National Guard who refused an order to go to Ukraine, said that under Russian law conscripts could be sent to fight after several months of training.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

Conscripts will take months to train to any level of capability and it doesn't seem like Russia has a lot of resources to spare for foreign operations, so I doubt these new guys will get involved in Ukraine.

Then again who knows, they didn't exactly prep their main force particularly well, maybe they'll make the same mistake.

Hmm

Rural-urban-typology-of-Ukrainian-regions-Source-own-elaboration-based-on-data-of-State.png.ee51e3cb67354be4fc4f79860c01b0a4.png

So based on current advances that would probably look something like Russia trying to take the orange in the east and Kherson oblast.

Going by the latest war maps...

20220331_131909.jpg.be2dda7c75de4bd9e2a5502b4ca5c1b4.jpg

looks like the Russian advance is at about:

30% of Kharkiv oblast 

70-90% of Luhansk

30-50% of Donetsk (so about 50%-70% of the total Donbas region)

50ish% of Zaporizhya 

And functionally 100% of Kherson

And basically 0% of Dnipropetrovs'k

The Kyiv advance looks basically done.  Reports Hostamel is being given up by the Russians which means Bucha is close, and they've evac'd Chernobyl for the obvious reasons.

Chernihiv and Sumy are seeing counterattack but it will be interesting to see if Russia tries to hold onto that northern part that touches Russia where they've pushed in decently far.

Anyways, they are a fair bit away from 30% via the east, probably at like 15% of the country from just the east, but that's not nothing and they may yet encircle the JFO.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Like 1

Unfortunately never gonna happen.  Russia would dig in big time and would probably escalate pretty terrifyingly if they ever lost actual Russian territory.

Russia, culturally is surprisingly fragile, they constantly have this chip on their shoulder which is really frustrating bc it prevents them from integrating into the international community at large.  Every setback their propaganda outlets lament as an existential crisis.  Like...it's not, but they are still VERY dramatic about it.

I think a realistic best case scenario is basically Feb 23 borders again.  A realistic realistic scenario is they snag roughly what they have now of the Donbas region while ceding ground elsewhere.

I am interested in seeing what Russia wants from the Kherson and Zaporizhya regions.  I'm sure they'd love to keep the whole Kherson region (expanding their Black Sea territory and whatnot) as well as the lower half of the Zap region (sea of Azov coastline and land bridge to Crimea) but I imagine that's gonna be tough to hold in its entirety.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Conscripts will take months to train

😂 

Good one 

16 minutes ago, Switchgear said:

I know it isn't going to happen, but if Ukraine was able to fully repel the invasion, take back Crimea, and even grab some Russian territory, how great that would be.

My hope for Russia:

humiliations-inigo-montoya.gif

the problem with this hope is that Russia will just be back a few years later. 

i know everyone is scared of the nukes and world war 3, but my god it’s like no one’s ever seen a bully before. 

putin is not going to give up. He’ll murder every person in ukraine and reduce to a complete wasteland before he gives up. Even if it means temporarily retreating so they can regroup, rearm, adopt a new strategy, and return in a few years. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Be patient.

Their stock market and isn't doing too bad.

https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/stock-market

"The MOEX Russia Index surged 7.6% to close at 2,703 on Thursday, extending yesterday’s rebound in the exchange’s first full day of trading since Russia’s invasion."

Though they do have some pretty strict restrictions in place.

It is hard to imagine that economics are going to bring Putin down.  Look N. Korea and Cuba and they didn't have the fossil fuels that Russia has.

(Also, not sure why it is a big deal if they sell NG in Rubles or Euros.   That seems like that was just a distraction by Putin.  He can reverse the order and give Germany a "win" that doesn't matter.

If you have to pay rubles for Russian NG:

1.  Germany take euros and buys rubles.

2.  Germany buys NG with rubles.

If Germany buys NG with euros:

1.  Germany buys NG with euros.

2.  Russia uses Euros to buy rubbles.

The net effect is the same.)

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

If you have to pay rubles for Russian NG:

1.  Germany take euros and buys rubles.

2.  Germany buys NG with rubles.

If Germany buys NG with euros:

1.  Germany buys NG with euros.

2.  Russia uses Euros to buy rubbles.

The net effect is the same.)

Wait I thought there were restrictions on converting to/from rubles both inside Russia as well as any of the countries participating in sanctions??

i wanted to buy some cause it was obvious (to me) that the fall was far too much and one way or another it’d bounce back soon (not to where they were but it was obvious it’s bounce back a bit) but couldn’t cause it’s not allowed?!?

The Europeans were using the idea of using rubles as way to declare default on contracts. Since contracts stipulated euros.