Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

F1 could have faced driver boycott had Russian GP not been cancelled

Formula One has cancelled the Russian Grand Prix after the state’s invasion of Ukraine and it has emerged there was likely to have been a mass boycott of the event by the drivers had it gone ahead. The sport did not issue any condemnation of Russia but cited the “impossibility” of holding the race under the current circumstances.

On Thursday Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel, the four-times world champion, was the first driver to declare he would boycott the race if it went ahead. After F1 announced the cancellation it became clear his view was widely shared across the paddock.

Click on the link for the full article

Does FIFA have the 'nads to do this?  I hope so.  If not maybe their competitors will boycott any games with Russia.

How to Really Hurt Putin - Kick Him in the Footballs

I don't know if Americans really understand the fanaticism of football (soccer to our American friends) supporters  thoughout most of the world  including Russia. It is still significantly a working class sport in terms of the support.

It has been reported on the BBC that Russia is set to lose the Champions League final due to be played in St Petersburg - Ukraine crisis: Uefa to move Champions League final after Russian invasion - BBC Sport

The Champions League is a special competition including all the top teams in Europe.

Russia are currently involved in the qualifiers for the World Cup due to be played at the back end of 2022 - they may well qualify.

Although Sweden, Poland and the Czech Republic all of whom have still to play Russia in the qualifiers have refused to play in that country. 

FIFA (the world football governing body) must eject Russia from the qualifiers.

This would be impossible for Putin to spin - everyone in Russia would know about it and far more than any worthy speeches or sanctions this would directly affect ordinary people in Russia and impress upon them just how much of a pariah Putin has made them.

Kick Russia out of the World Cup to effectively hurt Putin’s relationship with his base.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I can’t believe a majority think Putin wouldn’t have invaded if Trump was still president.  That includes 38% of Democrats feeling that way.

Of course he would’ve; once his puppet re-election was announced, he would’ve invaded.

Trump would then follow his hero and invade Greenland and Nothern Mexico for his anti-immigrant barrier.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I can’t believe a majority think Putin wouldn’t have invaded if Trump was still president.  That includes 38% of Democrats feeling that way.

Of course he would’ve; once his puppet re-election was announced, he would’ve invaded.

Trump would then follow his hero and invade Greenland and Nothern Mexico for his anti-immigrant barrier.

Biden will look good in the end when Ukraine turns into a quagmire for Putin.  This is looking more and more likely.

The bigger issue for him is the economic fallout.  Gas price is already high.

17 minutes ago, FrFan said:
"Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered his defence chiefs to put the country's "deterrence forces" on high alert as he accused Western countries of taking "unfriendly" steps against his country amid Moscow's invasion of #Ukraine"

What does this mean? Is he getting his defense set up against possible nuclear attacks against Russia?

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21

9 hours ago, PeterMP said:

I don't think a no fly zone is a good idea.

And certainly covert actions sometimes leak to the press, especially over time.  Covert actions don't tend to stay covert forever but that doesn't mean they weren't covert or attempted to be covert.  With an covert action, there is always a chance that some how it will not end up being covert.  That's a risk.  Most actions come with risks.

We could do what the Chinese and Soviets did with when fighting is in North Korea.  We did it prior to Perl Harbor with supporting the Chinese against the Japanese.  You send them US people that can help with equipment as "volunteers".

(Not an idea I really like but something that has been done in the past.  I'd suggest using missiles first.)

You've suggested taking "covert action". If an action is "covert" then the true actor responsible for it is not known. It could either be intimately misattributed, commonly referred to as "false flag", or it could be "anonymous". You then support the viability of this course of action by citing examples where the responsible actor is known.  To justify that you assert that covert actions aren't meant to stay covert. War is not a debate and rhetorical points are not awarded. If we escalate either through overt actions or covert actions which don't stay covert the result is the same.

Yes actions have risk. Inaction also has risk. This entire discussion is about risk assessment and mitigation. What is the likelihood something happens and then what is the impact if it does. In it's most basic form... the expected value.

I have laid out my reasons for opposing overt military action this point. The validity of labeling an action covert is largely based on the likelihood it remains covert. By definition we wouldn't know about covert actions that are happening right now. Or more clearly who is responsible for them. The entire Ukrainian resistance may be a giant NATO covert action! 

I honestly don't know what you mean with putting volunteers in quotations. Inserting combatants in under the auspices of being noncombatants is a terrible idea if that is what you are suggesting

• Like 1