Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

PleaseBlitz

9 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

He's pissed off by the Swift sanctions, the attitude of some european countries (the ones which are supplying weapons), and the ukrainian resistance. He's saying that his nuclear defense is put on high alert.

Krutschev did it about Cuba, Yeltsin did it about Chechnya.

In the mleantime parlays have been officials at the Ukrainian Belarus border.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Scratch my previous post, I misread.

This is Putin giving the order to have all major weaponry, like nukes, basically on standby. A threat.

Seems like a desperate move.  He’s doing it to remind everyone he has them.  But given the current situation, I don’t think it moves the worlds reactions at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Scratch my previous post, I misread.

This is Putin giving the order to have all major weaponry, like nukes, basically on standby. A threat.

He used "deterred forces" not nuclear, eventhough it does include the nukes. Maybe he's trying to put pressure on future parlays

Edited by FrFan

"Let me present an apology on behalf of all Russians not able to prevent this conflict," Anisimov said at the closing plenary of the virtual, 195-nation forum, according to three sources who heard him speak." Link in post above.

He better seeks political asylum asap, unless he's going to feel the taste of polonium in his next cup of coffee.

• Like 2

Putin has been hit with major economical sanctions. Ukrainians are resisting his army like he didn't expect, I believe more of his tropps will soon be demoralized  @purbeast . Now the protests within Russia are picking up day after day. Krutschev using nuclear threats was removed when he was 70, this year Putin is 70 I wish him the same fate.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Here's something to think about... chest beating machismo is exactly what Trump was doing at CPAC according to a post in that thread. I'd have to seriously reconsider my position if it was in the same zipcode as his. 

I think you’ve seriously misrepresented the views expressed in this thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redskins Diehard said:

You've suggested taking "covert action". If an action is "covert" then the true actor responsible for it is not known. It could either be intimately misattributed, commonly referred to as "false flag", or it could be "anonymous". You then support the viability of this course of action by citing examples where the responsible actor is known.  To justify that you assert that covert actions aren't meant to stay covert. War is not a debate and rhetorical points are not awarded. If we escalate either through overt actions or covert actions which don't stay covert the result is the same.

Yes actions have risk. Inaction also has risk. This entire discussion is about risk assessment and mitigation. What is the likelihood something happens and then what is the impact if it does. In it's most basic form... the expected value.

I have laid out my reasons for opposing overt military action this point. The validity of labeling an action covert is largely based on the likelihood it remains covert. By definition we wouldn't know about covert actions that are happening right now. Or more clearly who is responsible for them. The entire Ukrainian resistance may be a giant NATO covert action! 

I honestly don't know what you mean with putting volunteers in quotations. Inserting combatants in under the auspices of being noncombatants is a terrible idea if that is what you are suggesting

I was making a specific point in response to you.  You said that we could not fire missiles at Russian position and then pretend we didn't do it.

That does in fact happen.  And in some cases it stays secret as to who did and what exactly happened for longer periods of time.  Sometimes we do end up reading about covert actions, especially long after they happened.

Obviously me sitting here in front of my computer, I can't guarantee there isn't going to be a leak from the Pentagon that will give it away.

You made a claim (that we can't fire missiles at Russian positions and the act like we didn't do it), I'm saying your claim is wrong and posted an article to show your claim is wrong.  And yes, for me to read about it means it is no longer covert.    Sometimes after it happens it gets out and me being me and not somebody in the national security apparatus, I can't guarantee or even give you a good idea of how likely it is to get out.  I have no idea what the chances of are of leaks from the Pentagon if we start carrying out covert actions.  But basically, you're still wrong.

If the whole Ukrainian resistance is a giant NATO covert action wouldn't that have required us to send in combatants as noncombatants?

(You generally now seem to be saying you'd be okay if we do things covertly as long as the things work and stay covert.  which is a change and the they need to stay covert is sort of no duh considering that's the objective of covert.)

Edited by PeterMP

Sanctioned Russian TV Host Cries About Losing His Italian Villa

The impact of Putin’s war is starting to set in, startling even his most ardent state TV propagandists. It’s all fun and games till they seize your Italian villa.

That’s what one of the most prominent Kremlin propagandists found out for himself this week, after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Soloviev learned this week that the latest sanctions imposed against the Kremlin’s regime and its accomplices would impact him personally. His access to properties in Europe is now being impacted, and perhaps his ownership as well.

During Friday’s edition of The Evening With Vladimir Soloviev, the host raged: “I was told that Europe is a citadel of rights, that everything is permitted, that’s what they said… I know from personal experience about the so-called ‘sacred property rights.’ With every transaction I was bringing paperwork demonstrating my official salary, income, I did it all. I bought it, paid crazy amount of taxes, I did everything. And suddenly someone makes a decision that this journalist is now on the list of sanctions. And right away it affects your real estate. Wait a minute. But you told us that Europe has sacred property rights!”

Stunned and dismayed, Soloviev griped: “All of a sudden, now they say: ‘Are you Russian? Then we will close your bank account, if it’s in Europe. And if it’s in England, you’re allowed to keep no more than a certain amount there. Why? Because you’re Russian.” Prominent economist Mikhail Khazin chimed in: “And that’s if you have an old account. They won’t open a new one.”

Appearing on NTV’s program Our Own Truth (Svoya Pravda), RT’s editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan boasted: “I’m not worried about sanctions, isolation, prohibitions or the dollar exchange rate. We used to live without iPhones, we can also do without Paris if need be. It’s wild to even contemplate that when the fate of the nation and the future of the world are at stake.”

As for those who say “No to war” and are ashamed that they’re Russian, Simonyan asserted, “I am ashamed that they are my fellow citizens.”

Attempting to deny Russia’s intensifying war against Ukraine, Simonyan claimed: “Nobody is fighting against Ukrainians! We’re liberating Ukraine!” She followed up with another ludicrous claim: “No one is bombing peaceful Ukrainian cities!”

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 6