Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins great Charley Taylor dead at 80

88Comrade2000

Sad to hear of REDSKINS great ( not commander) Charley Taylor’s passing. Being only 40 years old I first learned of Charley through an NFL Film titled “The Gift of Grab” I began to research him and actually got to meet him about 20 years ago and get his autograph. He was impressed with how much I knew about him especially with how young I was. 

RIP Charley you were awesome on and off the field 

I also think it’s disrespectful to call these guys former Commanders. They are Redskins Riggo has been on record saying as much. At least respect that part of history even though we have erased the rest. 

F9B5D3F8-8AC5-4D40-8E2D-47BDF0096FFA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This one stings. He and Larry Brown are the reasons I became a Skins fan. 

About 10 years ago I stopped in a local bar and Charley was there. Had a fun group discussion at the bar. When I left I looked behind me to see him leaving behind me. We walked to our cars together shooting the breeze about nothing. I was on Cloud 9

• Like 6

My great uncle took me and my cousin to Carlisle the year we won SB in 91 (it's how I knew Keenan McCardell was going to be very good and I thought we needed to keep him) 

I was in an ice cream shop and I think I recognized him and went over.  He had a questioning look and said "who told you I was here?" but he signed my autograph. I just looked at it this week.  Strange.  I think he was just surprised a kid knew who he was without prompting from an older adult. 

RIP Mr. Taylor

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 2

RIP to the great Charley Taylor, a Redskins legend.  Earlier this month Jason Wright on Kevin Sheehan radio show alluded to the fact that the team will formally begin to retire jersey numbers starting this season. Charley Taylor and Sonny Jurgensen should immediately be the first two. I wish Charley was alive to be apart of it. Sonny is still with us so let’s not wait any longer.

• Like 4

That last part of the video documentary above is just stunning. Starting at 44:52. If that doesn't get you choked up watching him walk off into the locker room with his cane while hearing the words of Richie Petitbon talk about how big and great he was when he first saw him, I don't know what well. 

Rest easy, Charley. Always love you, man. 

• Like 2

I had the privilege of meeting Charlie Taylor at a golf event about 20 years ago.  I was to young to remember his first years in the NFL but was a Skins fan and watching football by the end of his career and remember him very well.  Even though he never won a Super Bowl, he was very fortunate to have at least experienced a Super Bowl and as importantly to be associated with the team when they were actually a respected franchise in the NFL and a feared Team on the field.  RIP in Charlie.  Hail #42.

• Like 1