Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

7.2 million for 2022. Do I have to do all the heavy lifting around this place KB? Any chance Extremeskins (or whatever this place is called now) can hire a secretary so we don't have to look this stuff up?

Looks like I already found one. Atta Boy! :ols:

Thanks.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The problem with Roquan is he is too similar to Jamin Davis.  Roquan Smith is good against the pass and average against the run.   The other problem is you are probably going to have to pay Smith 9.5 million for this season and then when he signs a new contract you are probably looking at paying 17 or 18 million a year for a player who is only good against one phase of the game.  Now if you let him walk in free agency you probably do recomp a late third so that kind of cancels out one of the third rounders in your scenario, but I am still a hard pass.   That would be a third rounder for a one year rental who may impede Jamin Davis's development.

Maybe I'm just biased because I loved him at Georgia.    He's way better than Jamin, I think.   

9 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Maybe I'm just biased because I loved him at Georgia.    He's way better than Jamin, I think.   

I think Roquan Smith is better than Jamin Davis too.  However, I think they do have the the same strengths and weaknesses.   Mostly I don't think we are in a position to give an off ball linebacker 17 or 18 million per season especially when that off ball linebacker arguably is only elite against the pass and not the run.  I do think Jamin Davis ceiling is at current Roquan Smith's level--whether we'll ever see that ceiling who knows.  I also think the staff does want to develop Jamin Davis and I think Smith impedes Davis's development.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

7.2 million for 2022. Do I have to do all the heavy lifting around this place KB? Any chance Extremeskins (or whatever this place is called now) can hire a secretary so we don't have to look this stuff up?

How much did Quinton Ganther make in 2009?

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Schrodinger's linebacker 

Raquon is great but is like Davis who sucks. And Visa versa 

I don't think its like that.  Smith is a better version of Davis.  Both players who are stronger against the pass.   Smith is very good in pass defense and average in run defense.   Davis is average in pass defense at this point and below average against the run.  I think people overrate Smith because of his college career, the fact that he was the number 8 overall pick, and because he had early success in his career.  But I don't think he is a top 10 off the ball linebacker (at least not last year which was a down year for him), but he is going to probably get the money of a top 5 guy.

3 hours ago, philibusters said:

I don't think its like that.  Smith is a better version of Davis.  Both players who are stronger against the pass.   Smith is very good in pass defense and average in run defense.   Davis is average in pass defense at this point and below average against the run.  I think people overrate Smith because of his college career, the fact that he was the number 8 overall pick, and because he had early success in his career.  But I don't think he is a top 10 off the ball linebacker (at least not last year which was a down year for him), but he is going to probably get the money of a top 5 guy.

I think well have our own Raquon when Davis develops. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Going to get in again early before the game, we need some OL acquisitions. One at a minimum.

I think we will pick up a vet or two when or before final cuts come, maybe a OG and OT.  I think both.  JMO.  :)  

Why does Mizzou tight end and Blue Springs South grad Kendall Blanton love to block?

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article220636955.html#storylink=cpy

When Kendall Blanton told his father, Jerry, a former Chiefs linebacker, that he wanted to be a tight end, the dad suggested a fellow Chief for his son to model himself after. Not Tony Gonzalez, one of the greatest to ever play the position, or current Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, considered one of the NFL’s best. Instead, Jerry Blanton told his son to research Johnathan Hayes, his former teammate in the 1980s and the Cincinnati Bengals’ tight ends coach. TOP VIDEOS WATCH MORE × MLB Next Game - Kansas City Royals “(Haynes) couldn’t catch a cold, but he could block,” Jerry Blanton told The Star. Kendall Blanton listened to his father, and the advice could take him to the NFL. While Missouri redshirt sophomore Albert Okwuegbunam attracts NFL scouts’ attention with his 4.5 40-yard-dash time and ability to get into the end zone, Blanton has stood out by helping the offensive line open up the run game and protect quarterback Drew Lock. Jim Nagy, the director of the Reese’s Senior Bowl and a former NFL scout, said he currently projects Blanton as a third-day NFL Draft pick. As college teams continue to adopt the spread offense,

Nagy said Blanton’s ability to block is becoming more of a throwback. But with wideouts Emanuel Hall and Nate Brown out the past few weeks, Missouri is also trying to get the 6-foot-6 Blanton more involved in the pass game. What’s Your KCQ? Which Kansas City-centric question should we tackle? READ MORE “His biggest asset is his frame,” Lock said. “A nickel that weighs 185, 195, 200 pounds, I don’t know how willing they are to run into a guy that’s 275 coming across the field full steam. He’s huge in our mid-range game.” Blanton had three receptions for 27 yards against Memphis, including a 13-yard catch, and has proven to be a reliable pass-catcher. He had three touchdowns during his sophomore year, including a one-handed catch against Middle Tennessee. His lone touchdown last season as a junior came against Florida, where he caught a bullet from Lock in the corner of the end zone and managed to get a foot down. He already has 127 receiving yards this season. He should break his career-high of 161, which he recorded during his sophomore season. But the trait that has stood out to NFL scouts is Blanton’s ability to block. “I like being out there running routes,” Blanton said. “But I love blocking.” Jerry Blanton said it took time for his son to embrace blocking. He said if Kendall could learn to love it, it could go a long way in his career.

The same approach worked for the elder Blanton when he was an eleventh-round pick by the Buffalo Bills in the 1978 NFL Draft. As the last player cut in training camp, Jerry Blanton learned that he’d have to do the little things if he wanted to make a roster. He signed with the Chiefs and embraced playing on special teams, which allowed him to carve out a seven-year NFL career as a linebacker. As a senior at Blue Springs South, the younger Blanton played in a predominantly run-oriented offense and only caught 15 passes for 216 yards and two touchdowns. His frame was enough to catch the eyes of college scouts, and he mainly heard from Kentucky, his father’s alma mater, and Missouri. Jerry Blanton had a standout career at Kentucky and led the Wildcats to the Peach Bowl in 1976. He was rooting for his son to follow his footsteps to Lexington, but Kendall wanted to make his own legacy. “It’s a switch hit to me,” Jerry Blanton said. “Of course you want your son to follow your own footsteps, but then again you want him to make his own footsteps too.” A strong junior season could have gotten Blanton some NFL Draft buzz, but the emergence of Okwuegbunam limited his role in the offense. Blanton remembered his father’s advice and applied it to become one of the team’s premier blockers.

Tight ends coach Joe Jon Finley has helped get a number of Tigers on NFL radars since head coach Barry Odom hired him, including Sean Culkin who is in his second year with the Chargers after going undrafted. Finley doesn’t think Blanton is going to need much help impressing scouts. “When he’s at his best he’s as good as I’ve ever seen,” Finley said of Blanton’s blocking. “He’s got to get his hands right, his technique right, all that stuff when he’s got the right mentality there’s nobody I’ve ever seen block as well.” Senior offensive lineman Kevin Pendleton said he’s taught to treat blocking like a mindset, and Blanton is the epitome of that.

He uses Blanton’s buy-in as an example to players, who are struggling to understand their role. “He’s a tall, freak athlete. You figure we split him out and make him make plays all the time,” Pendleton said. “Well, we’re asking him to put his face on a 300-pound lineman and stop him. You can point to a young guy and be like, ‘look, this is how you help your team win.’” Blanton’s 40-yard-dash time is 4.7 seconds, which is good for his size, and his ability to play special teams helps his NFL case. “He’s a pretty good overall athlete,” Nagy said. “He’s not very explosive, but in terms of body control, flexibility and quickness he’s got some athletic ability. When they use him as a blocker he does do a pretty good job when he’s on the wing or on the move.” Missouri hasn’t beaten Kentucky since 2014, Blanton’s redshirt season. A win against the No. 12 Wildcats would go a long way for Odom’s job security and would help make this a successful season for the Tigers. It will also mark the final time the Blantons have a friendly father-son rivalry, but Jerry Blanton wants it to be clear where his allegiances are. At his induction into Kentucky’s Hall of Fame, he told Wildcats coach Mark Stoops that he wants him to win every game except against Missouri because of his son. “My blood bleeds blue,” he said. “Except on Saturday.”

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article220636955.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Guess between injuries and rookies the coaching staff isn't as high on the TE room as it appeared.

I doubt it has much to do about how high they are on the group.  The only dude who is healthy right now is Rogers.  As far as healthy bodies the TE group is a hot mess. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt it has much to do about how high they are on the group.  The only dude who is healthy right now is Rogers.  As far as healthy bodies the TE group is a hot mess. 

Yeah thats kinda what I was getting at, if they are bringing a TE in then they must not be certain Bates ans Turner will be fit in time. At the same time there is absolutely nothing to lose brining in a proven vet.

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Shoulda made a move like this a while ago.

If he can actually block, he could steal a spot considering all the injuries.

I knew nothing about him but catching up seems like some Ram fans are upset about his release and are surprised by it.  I liked what I've read about him.

Judging by beat guys comments feels like they thought Bates was coming along from his injury but then had an unexpected setback.  

Turner was supposedly killing it in camp but he has a hamstring issue now.  He's supposedly coming back soon but hamstring issues can linger.  Then something apparently popped with  Hodges recently.  So they seem to have a lot of bad luck at TE right now and not much experience. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There's good talent in the Training Room, no doubt. That shouldn't surprise anyone. Try and remember that these are young athletes, with only 1 gear, and purpose...they have to believe 100% they are invincible and indestructible. That's why good pro trainers are expensive. The trainer has to manage super human mentality with a very human body. The guys that are always available have superior prep, post workout maintenance, and superior nutrition & rehab. That takes expert knowledge and these young guys try to wing-it initially until they realize they have to get help.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I follow the Rams. Grew up in SoCal, so they are my childhood team.

Kendall Blanton is better than Bates. Both can block, but Blanton has more upside in receiving potential.

Rams are loaded at TE.

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I follow the Rams. Grew up in SoCal, so they are my childhood team.

Kendall Blanton is better than Bates. Both can block, but Blanton has more upside in receiving potential.

Rams are loaded at TE.

This is extra confusing from the Rams though, isn’t it, considering they just moved Jacob Harris, their own uber-athletic but injury-prone tweener, from TE to WR to up his chances at making the roster? So is this cut in service to that goal, rather than being about the actual TE’s ahead of Blanton on the depth chart? They chose their project and are content with that choice? 

Also, given how good of a blocker Bates is, Blanton would have to have a much higher ceiling as a receiver than I realized he had, to be a clearly better option. And that would make this an insanely valuable waiver pickup for us. I’m not saying he isn’t, but it would be a nice surprise. But maybe you’re just lower on Bates. 

• Like 1

I could see Blanton starting the season at tight end. Logan will be on PUP, Bates will probably be #2 and I suppose they’re concerned that Turner may be more injured than what they’re saying plus he’s a rookie. Rogers hasn’t shown much and the same could be said of Hodges. One of these guys is practice squad bound with the other being cut. 

Hes 6’6 so I’m excited to see what he can do. Get in there and develop some chemistry with Wentz pronto! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is extra confusing from the Rams though, isn’t it, considering they just moved Jacob Harris, their own uber-athletic but injury-prone tweener, from TE to WR to up his chances at making the roster? So is this cut in service to that goal, rather than being about the actual TE’s ahead of Blanton on the depth chart? They chose their project and are content with that choice? 

Also, given how good of a blocker Bates is, Blanton would have to have a much higher ceiling as a receiver than I realized he had, to be a clearly better option. And that would make this an insanely valuable waiver pickup for us. I’m not saying he isn’t, but it would be a nice surprise. But maybe you’re just lower on Bates. 

i think they have their roster figured and are generally allowing Blanton to get a shot for another roster. As for blocking, i feel like Bates is better, but Blanton can block too and he moves people (like Bosa in NFC Championship game). Granted, if they didn't have injuries they don't pick him up most the time.

26 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I could see Blanton starting the season at tight end. Logan will be on PUP, Bates will probably be #2 and I suppose they’re concerned that Turner may be more injured than what they’re saying plus he’s a rookie. Rogers hasn’t shown much and the same could be said of Hodges. One of these guys is practice squad bound with the other being cut. 

Hes 6’6 so I’m excited to see what he can do. Get in there and develop some chemistry with Wentz pronto! 

I don't view Logan Thomas as starting the season on the PUP. He's trending to week 1 or 2...not week 5. We'll see of course but there's nothing I'm aware of that's been negatively reported about his progress. He said the plan was week 1 and on pace for that last week.

9 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I don't view Logan Thomas as starting the season on the PUP. He's trending to week 1 or 2...not week 5. We'll see of course but there's nothing I'm aware of that's been negatively reported about his progress. He said the plan was week 1 and on pace for that last week.

Logan got hurt in December so September would be about 10 months from an ACL injury. Generally it takes a year for a player to feel comfortable. He is not in football shape and has spent no time working with Wentz. 

Why not give him 4 weeks to practice and get in shape. Doesn’t make sense to have him start game one. 

I wasn't here yesterday to post my thoughts but I'm still positive right now. On offense, I was particularly afraid of 3 and outs and turnovers. Wentz has looked good on those fronts. Gibson had the one fumble, but I'm not even stressed about that. The thing that gives me confidence is that we're driving the ball downfield. So we got inside their 40 twice yesterday with the first team. No points to show, but it's not a dead offense in preseason. 

On defense, I'm less optimistic but still not afraid. We're pretty much running shells and had them multiple times in third and long. I think (hope) that this season we'll do more exotic things and won't be playing against Mahomes. 

• Like 1