Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eagles' off season seems to be generating some hype.  I admit them adding AJ Brown solves their WR issues.  Brown and D.  Smith are a really good combo.  N Dean I think is a good get.  And adding Jordan Davis and Reddick adds to their front 7. 

they supposedly chased the honey badger but he signed with the Saints and supposedly now want Bradberry.   Their version of the dream team part 2?  They usually don't do as well when the expectations are high and on that front they are similar to our team.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/10-bold-nfl-predictions-for-2022-season-russell-wilson-wins-mvp-aaron-rodgers-calls-it-a-career-and-more/

9. The Eagles will be in the NFC title game

I  was big on them a year ago and telling you guys in October that they will surprise people. They made the playoffs. They are ascending and have had a great offseason. The rest of the conference is largely in regression. I think Jalen Hurts has some 'it' factor to him. They will have more bite on defense and can play keep-away on offense.

The problem with the Eagles is they are like a mini version of the Ravens.  Unless Hurts takes a HUGE step forward throwing the ball, they are going to be a run first team, and if you can force them into known passing situations, you can slow-down/stop the offense.  

It's the same with the Ravens.  Except Lamar is better than Hurts.  And "slowing down the Ravens" run game is massively difficult.  I STILL think the Ravens have a ceiling (assume Lamar is healthy) but I think that ceiling is I think they will always struggle against KC and the Bills.  Though, with Hill out of KC, we'll see.  He was so important to that offense.  I know they still have Mahomes, but you can't plug a guy in to replace the effect Hill had on a game.  I belie (I could be proven wrong on this) that if you can't win from the pocket, eventually, you're going to lose in the playoffs.  You've just GOT to be able to make 4-5 3rd and 6-10 yard conversions in a playoff game from the pocket. Defenses are too got for you to be able to run on them in those situations.    

Back to the Eagles, sure, they got a good WR, and good for them.  But I question whether he's going to have the same impact in Philly as he did in Tenn.  I mean, Tannehill isn't great, but he could throw the ball from the pocket a bit, and I think better than Hurts.  (Again, unless Hurts takes a big step forward.  

Could that ceiling be NFC East Champion?  I guess.  

But my hope is that our "vaunted" defense, especially the defensive line, could be coached up to figure out this offense, especially with Hurt's limitations.  Again, unless he turns into Lamar, in which case, we're ****ed.  

We'll see how productive Brown is in Philly.  

If you look at both the Commanders and Eagles completely in a vacuum, and you have to pick one of the two FOOTBALL TEAMS (and I'm saying, just the players on the field and the coaches, not the FO, not the ownership, none of the other stuff, just the FOOTBALL TEAM, I think it would be a hard decision which one is better, because each are so different.  

They both have talent on defense, they both have "interesting" situations at QB, I favor the Commanders skill position players a bit more overall ....

I dunno.  I think it's closer than others.  It really comes down to Wentz.  If he's a top 10-12 QB, the Commanders are better.  If he's not, the Eagles are better.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, terpfan said:

Yeah count me in as another that is not scared of the Eagles at all. I think they played over their heads last season. They weren’t an AJ Brown away from being real contenders. 

Agreed.  I think it's just an example of how some of the talking heads like to take a dark horse candidate to hype so they can have a chance to say I told you so come playoff time. Are we really supposed to think the eagles are on par with the Packers, bucs and Rams.  But the talking heads can't beat their chest if they choose one of them.  They have improved, but are still another tier or two down from those teams.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And they get to Khaleke… right after Davis/Holcomb. Our LB depth is definitely concerning right now. 

Do you believe in Holcomb wearing the green dot and communicating the defense and think we just need depth? Or would you rather bring in someone that pushes Holcomb outside?

Also I'd love to see Shaka Toney get reps at SAM

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Do you believe in Holcomb wearing the green dot and communicating the defense and think we just need depth? Or would you rather bring in someone that pushes Holcomb outside?

If we’re running a 4-2 an outside is the Buffalo nickel spot or a rolled down safety. So, I don’t want him outside.

Give him a chance at this point. They won’t be worse than last year if Jamin has just a tiny improvement. 

I’m just concerned with ILB depth after Davis/Holcomb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we’re running a 4-2 an outside is the Buffalo nickel spot or a rolled down safety. So, I don’t want him outside.

Give him a chance at this point. They won’t be worse than last year if Jamin has just a tiny improvement. 

I mean Holcomb's tackles we're pretty damn good last year. Over 100. I'm just worried about the communication and him stepping up as a vocal green dot.

Someone has to stay on the field.

Can he take that step? I don't want to see Mayo in the game.

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

The first option for me.

• Like 2

The Eagles finished the season 6-2, shored up their defense in free agency, and on paper had a fantastic draft.  And based on what some fans on here are saying about the Eagles being overrated, looks like they are a lock to be really good this year.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

The Eagles finished the season 6-2, shored up their defense in free agency, and on paper had a fantastic draft.  And based on what some fans on here are saying about the Eagles being overrated, looks like they are a lock to be really good this year.

They might be.  But they really played nobody.  They were a lot like the 2020 WFT.  

Reasonable record and makes the playoffs.  But more a function of schedule than anything else.

They will be better, but I don’t think they’re going to be great.  

Unless Hurts takes a huge step forward.  If that happens they can be very good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Veteran linebacker Nick Kwiatkoski appears close to finding a new team.

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Kwiatkoski took a free-agent visit with the Falcons on Thursday. Pelissero adds that Kwiatkoski has two more visits lined up, though the teams are not named.

Could we be one of the other teams?

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Kwiatkoski took a free-agent visit with the Falcons on Thursday. Pelissero adds that Kwiatkoski has two more visits lined up, though the teams are not named.

I checked and he didn't play for the Panthers. So no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

13 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Teddy Bridgewater, Trever Semien, Zach Wilson, Garrett Gilbert, Mike Glennon, Taylor Heinicke.  A murderer’s row of QBs.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I could get behind Kwiatkoski. Had a down year last year but had 80 tackles the year before and was considered a top 20 LB by PFF. Probably won't command big money and has some upside.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

It’s still super early but it was nice to hear Ron say he’s already noticed growth in Jamin. The kid has a good work ethic, he’s just raw and should take some kind of step this year with a season to focus on a simplified role. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

Speaking of… how hard do you think it would be for Toney to make the move to ILB?  I know it’s maybe kind of impossible to answer since things like smarts/instincts/etc are unknowns to us, but curious about your take on that transition in general.  To me, he’s a good fit in terms of size and speed/athleticism and has the added bonus of 1) being able to rush (though I imagine it’s a fairly significant transition to rushing from off the ball) and 2) being accustomed to dealing with blockers (as opposed to a safety converting).

On top of that, the LB room looks a lot less crowded than the DE room, so seems like a better avenue to making the team.

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Speaking of… how hard do you think it would be for Toney to make the move to ILB?  I know it’s maybe kind of impossible to answer since things like smarts/instincts/etc are unknowns to us, but curious about your take on that transition in general.  To me, he’s a good fit in terms of size and speed/athleticism and has the added bonus of 1) being able to rush (though I imagine it’s a fairly significant transition to rushing from off the ball) and 2) being accustomed to dealing with blockers (as opposed to a safety converting).

On top of that, the LB room looks a lot less crowded than the DE room, so seems like a better avenue to making the team.

Not KDawg- but for me Shaka has the size, speed , smarts and athleticism to play LB especially the SAM.  He was quick off the edge in college. Showed up big in the big games.  I talked about him being a perfect fit for a LB spot when he was coming to Penn State. Memory serves me correct he choose the DE instead of a SAM/box backer.  Think he would flourish. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WEARE1554 said:

Not KDawg- but for me Shaka has the size, speed , smarts and athleticism to play LB especially the SAM.  He was quick off the edge in college. Showed up big in the big games.  I talked about him being a perfect fit for a LB spot when he was coming to Penn State. Memory serves me correct he choose the DE instead of a SAM/box backer.  Think he would flourish. 

Yeah not only that when you plug his measureables in as a LB, his RAS score is something absurd like top 10 all time.

I know Del Rio said some rumblings about him learning LB right after the draft last year, but he only seemed to get looks at DE when the actual season hit.

I'd love for them to give it a try, if the lightbulb went off for him he could be like a Bruce Irvin.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, KDawg said:

And they get to Khaleke… right after Davis/Holcomb. Our LB depth is definitely concerning right now. 

I’m hoping it’s indicative of Hudson’s growth.  He’s stuck around in D like Cam has at WR.  There’s something about those guys the staff sees.  Huge fan of Hudson myself

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Peregrine said:

There was nothing special about the Eagles last year. 

So they went 6-2, did you see their last game? Same team the whole year.

Hurts isn’t a passer, they are and will be a run first team. Make them beat you throwing the ball, and you will stop them from scoring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Does anyone think Erickson is better than Deandre Carter? As a special teams guy or a wide receiver. Just curious.

Statistically they profile very similarly. If anything, Erickson has had more success as a receiver. The one caveat is that Carter had a career year in Washington last year. Pre-Washington, Carter had never scored an NFL TD and had 34 career catches. In 2021 alone, Carter scored his first return TD, doubled his career KR yards, nearly doubled his total receptions, and scored 3 his first three receiving TDs. I doubt Erickson replicates that production, though I doubt Carter would have repeated it as well even if he came back. So it depends on if you're expecting Erickson to repeat 2021 Carter or a repeat of what Carter normally brings to the table.

Teams just don’t routinely pay LB’s. That’s not exclusive to us.

I may have misread this, but on active LB contracts neither the Bengals nor Chiefs for example have a LB on more than 2mil APY. Jermaine Carter, the player I wanted us to look at, went to the Chiefs and got a 1.8mil deal. That APY is the highest on their roster. 

You then see a rookie like Devin Bush floundering but still raking in his 18mil fully guaranteed rookie deal and perhaps get insight into why teams draft a certain way. 

There will be a ton of LB cuts, we’ll get a couple of bodies in. I think we liked the Alabama linebacker that went in the third before we picked. If Jamin Davis flames out we need to reinvest in the mid rounds next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Teams just don’t routinely pay LB’s. That’s not exclusive to us.

I may have misread this, but on active LB contracts neither the Bengals nor Chiefs for example have a LB on more than 2mil APY. Jermaine Carter, the player I wanted us to look at, went to the Chiefs and got a 1.8mil deal. That APY is the highest on their roster. 

You then see a rookie like Devin Bush floundering but still raking in his 18mil fully guaranteed rookie deal and perhaps get insight into why teams draft a certain way. 

There will be a ton of LB cuts, we’ll get a couple of bodies in. I think we liked the Alabama linebacker that went in the third before we picked. If Jamin Davis flames out we need to reinvest in the mid rounds next year.

I think that depends on where the team is in their cycle.  Both the teams you’ve mentioned have good players on rookie deals.  There are plenty of good teams that do pay their LBs: Tampa with White and David; Buffalo with Milano and Edmunds; Tennessee with Cunningham Indy with Leonard.