Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'd be less concerned about these cuts if they acquired their replacements b4 cutting them.

Couldn't sign a new G, then cut flowers?

Boy-o-Boy we locked up Cam Sims tho... Wouldn't mind seeing him go somewhere else.

I think that’s just our perception as the people receiving the news through twitter. On the team’s end they know if they have deals happening regardless of when the cuts are reported. They probably have some things locked in that we haven’t heard about yet 

9 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Cole Holcomb > Leighton Vander Esch

Holcomb’s more durable, probably a bit better in coverage, but I think Vander Esch is much better at coming downhill, more suited to a mlb role.  And to be clear, I’m picturing Vander Esch as a bridge to a rookie mlb… would not consider the position set if were signed.

7 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Fine, then move Kurl to Landon's spot and play the honey badger at safety.

Don’t get me wrong, Mathieu is a heck of a player, but paying that much for a 3 safety look, when we had to downgrade both lines to do so seems… unwise.  Not saying it can’t work out though.

Ha, I started a long-ish post about McKissick and then changed my mind because it was water under the bridge.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

I don't mind these releases as it starts to redress the historical imbalance where we've had far too much cap in the DL & OG positions, these were always bonkers. I would extend Payne who is still young, pick up some cheaper Guards (less premium position), and roll with draft picks and cheaper backups behind them.

I think it's smart to enquire if they would extend, and then cut them if they say no and they are overpaid for what they offer. Sends out a message that you are in longer term or you can underperform elsewhere.

I also don't mind JD going, I'd get a bruiser RB and use Gibson in a hybrid role (a mix of traditional and pass-catching RB), with some Samuel sprinkled in. Kyle Allen leaving tells me they want a young QB at 3rd string which also makes far more sense.

For me it's about establishing a decent, logical plan and sticking to it long term (Ravens) : -

1. Only target cuts from other teams to protect any decent comp picks (lots of cuts coming this year)

2. Adopt the idea of targeting FA only in years where you have no chance of decent comp picks

3. Hold tight as long as you can until the prices get reasonable, there will always be good enough players, especially for non-premium positions or rotational guys

4. Target 1 year prove it deals that light a fire under the players - they may result in comp picks the following year if they pan out, or extend if become core

5. If not in Blue Chipper territory, trade back as often as possible in the draft to load up picks, to fill depth or even add more next year (Patriots method)
6. Focus on logic based decisions rather than "looking after our own" - it's quite clear that loyalty doesn't exist in Washington right now on the player side, bar a few players like Allen (and hopefully Terry)

Obviously you need to draft well too and hope the QB you acquired doesn't suck!

***Took that long to write, JD came back - haha!*** 

Edited by HailtotheClarets
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

JD RETURNS WOW

See, this is what a competent organization (Washington Commanders), with a stable ownership, stadium and back office structure, where FA want to sign with looks like!   My heads spinning. That damn janitor still has access to the computer in Ashburn.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, GilbertSkinsFan said:

i thought you could cut 1 player ahead of june 1 and designate him a post june 1st cut . . . has that changed?

That only benefits the player, you still only get the cap space later. I think that’s what we did 

• Like 1

McCain, JD, Sims, hopefully Lucas back too. 

Drop in a vet RG, Norwell or Williams.

Sign Hooper.....and Wagner.....

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I was fine lettin JD go, but it don't hurt to have him either.

Does he effect comp picks?

Was potentially a 7th for us

• Like 1

Nooooo no't Matt. The Greek god.... My favorite player :( His deal was still decent. 

You better win more then 8 games Ron and Panthers GM squad. Otherwise I will fly personally from Amsterdam to DC and be in the stands with paper bag on my head for our last home game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I was fine lettin JD go, but it don't hurt to have him either.

Does he effect comp picks?

Nah he was our own FA, even though he briefly tasted the sweet nectar of open FA it doesn’t cost us in terms of comp picks 

edit: oh my mistake, you meant would we have earned us any. He was being projected as a 7th for us but that could have dropped off the list with other teams signing tier 2 and 3 guys, there’s a limited amount of comp picks each year in total 

Edited by Conn