Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think the Terry extension got a whole lot worse following the Jags antics. I’d imagine his agent is taking notes.

If I am Terrys agent Im not signing a deal here any time soon. Force them to franchise him. You cant sign on here long term if you have no idea what the QB situation will be like.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig and Keim kept bringing up Ionnaidis is in terms of possible cap savings.  I didn't think they'd do it.  But here we are.  Without Settle too, they need depth on the D line. 

There's also something to be said for roster churn. We were lucky to be 4-deep at DT. Now we are 2-deep. Apparently they like Wise a lot at DT. So maybe he's our 4th DT. I would also expect we draft a DT at some point. So you'd have 2 potentially high-paid starters supplemented by 2 cheap backups. That's a good way to build a roster. If we had kept Ion we'd likely lose him next year anyway, when we might also lose Payne. So why not use that $$ to extend Payne (assuming that's part of the plan). It's not super smart to have $32 million in committed cap space to 3 DTs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Dumb as hell…. We’ve gotten significantly worse… I stand by the fact that Ioannidis is our most disruptive DLineman. Settle wasn’t far behind….

He only had 2.5 sacks last season. Payne who people seem to view just as a run stuffer had 4 sacks. Jon Allen is day and night our best interior rusher - he had 9 sacks and 10 tackles for a loss.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Its really too late to do that to make it matter. A good portion of FA is already over. 

Maybe so. I’m underwhelmed, however in reality there aren’t many top players I’m pissed we have missed out on....

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

If I am Terrys agent Im not signing a deal here any time soon. Force them to franchise him. You cant sign on here long term if you have no idea what the QB situation will be like.

Same would apply around 80% of the league in that case.

• Like 1

Can someone confirm? If McScorin (yes I'm still pushing that name) is extended this off-season does it add any money to this year's cap? An extension would add extra years on to his current contract at a new higher rate, but would the new extension add more money to his current cap hit this year?

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah it’s not help right now. Probably a reason that Matt I needed to go. We must be redoing deals as we speak.

The Collins money then covers in year buffer, I did suggest we’d go that way some time back.

My thoughts as well. Your rookie pool is about $4m so as long as you have $4m going into post-draft signing cycle you're good. Then that $12m that hits on June 2nd can be for final camp bodies and in-season maneuvering. Probably the best way to look at it. So with the Ion release we are "currently" at $12m in cap space prior to McCain and Sims hitting. Probably more moves coming. But we can run our cap number down to about $4m knowing we have that $12m coming in June.

6 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

We are also showing potential free agents that we absolutely do NOT take care of our own….

I mean, it’s a business - we re-signed McCain (and Sims shortly, probably), not to mention tendering some of our ERFAs, lost McKissick and Settle to better offers, and are ditching Collins and Io.  We’ve re-signed a fair amount of guys in the past couple years - Roullier, Thomas, Allen - and are probably going to do the same with Terry (and maybe Payne).  I guess what I’m saying is are players/agents really going to look at the two cuts and say “oh, we can’t trust that team to take care of their own” when all teams operate that way?

Oh, and both Io and Collins got their contracts (Io’s an extension) from the previous regime….

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Nerm said:

The updated reports say that he got mad about a clause saying the team has the option to reduce guaranteed cash if the league disciplines him.  He threw a fit about it and signed elsewhere without further discussion.  Funny part is, it is actually standard language in all Dallas contracts, not even specific to Gregory.  So, I kind of feel like the Cowboys dodged a bullet.  The guy is a head case.  One day he may play enough games in a season to beat his career best six sack season, but it won't be with Dallas.

Yes, I saw the talk about the language. Not a Gregory fan at all. He had his off the field issues and suffered through 2 suspensions. So maybe they did dodge a bullet, fair enough. But the original information was that they had an agreement in principal that did not state these requirements then when the contract came it was in there. Even if it is standard language for the Cowboys - which is not true since Dak does NOT have that language - it is not standard for all teams. Maybe it should be, but that is a different conversation.

Also, just becasue it's standard for dallas does not mean he has to take it when there is another offer. He is allowed to think about what is best for him in terms of money and contract. Not neccessarily directed at you, but people act like the team is allowed to think about the team but the player can't thinking about the player. Clearly to him they had a deal that the dallas FO changed so he went a different direction. BTW: If dallas really wanted him, they have had time to take that language out and try and get him back. He can't sign the Denver deal until this afternoon. 

The timing is my biggest issue - if the language was there all along and he agreed to it in principal then Denver agreed to make sure that wasn't there and changed his mind and that's not deal in good faith, But if, as it has been reported, they had a agreement in principle but that language had not been disclosed then the final contract came - that he can sing since he is a cowboy until this afternoon - and it had that language in it, then it's on the team. They did not deal in good faith. In fairness there is a 3rd option and that is the team and Gregory are both right and the agent failed to let him client k now the full details. 

I do not know how it went down. The team is saying one thing and him and his agent are saying another. Not sure it's fair though to just assume it's on the player. The teams do all kinds of shady **** while negotiating with players becasue yes it's a business. But it's a business for the players too. And they get to make decisions in their own best interest. 

My last comment on this as I do not want to derail more than I already did. That's on me for getting it started. Will get back to Washington FAs. 

Edited by goskins10

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

We have a pretty good qb signed for 3 years, so I’m not really following your logic.  That’s a heck of a better bet than teams with poor qb situations (CAR, PIT, NYG, etc) or qbs not signed for long (MIN, CLE, BAL, etc)….  And that’s not mentioning Wentz’s deep ball proficiency.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig and Keim kept bringing up Ionnaidis is in terms of possible cap savings.  I didn't think they'd do it.  But here we are.  Without Settle too, they need depth on the D line. 

Question for you brain smart film study guys: Did his play decline last year post-injury because at one point a couple of years ago he was arguably our most effective interior lineman.

Puzzled I am?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, panahoo said:

I believe this is wrong. Teams are allowed to release 2 players early with a Post June 1 designation and have the cap savings immediately.

You can make 2 early designations to let the players hit FA now instead of June, but the savings only materialises in June. I believe so anyway.

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

This is rarely a player’s plan A. Tear your achilles while on the franchise tag or take a huge guarantee as soon as you can get it? If they offer a competitive contract and he wants to be here (that’s the question), he’ll sign it 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I have no idea whether you are right or wrong but I "thumbed you up" (so to speak) just because I want this to be true.

Ok. Just did a bit of research. The Post June 1 cut is mostly just an immediate benefit to the player. They are free to sign with a new team without needing to wait until June 1. The cap savings for the team isnt realized until June 2. Sorry.

• Like 1