Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

So am I crazy or did Scherff end up signing for less APY than we were allegedly offering? Of course idk what our guarantees looked like two years ago when the first tag happened, etc. Once again we screwed ourselves by setting the contract APY baseline/floor at the franchise tag number, just like with Cousins. 

I’m glad we didn’t sign him long-term mind you, and the franchise tags were escalatingly dumb. 

I’m guessing the two Franchise Tags plus that $30M guaranteed are probably more total guaranteed money than we ever would have offered all in one 5-year deal two years ago but it still seems like he ended up signing for less than he was wanting from us originally. I just think like Cousins he never had any intention of signing here regardless which is not only fine but understandable. 

6 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

16.5m a year is less than I thought he would get. 

I think most people here thought that his agent’s hopes in FA were a tad unrealistic given his injury history and the fact that their pie in the sky number was obviously based on the Franchise Tag number we slapped on him, which other teams on the open market wouldn’t be competing with the way we were. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

So am I crazy or did Scherff end up signing for less APY than we were allegedly offering? Of course idk what our guarantees looked like two years ago when the first tag happened, etc. Once again we screwed ourselves by setting the contract APY baseline/floor at the franchise tag number, just like with Cousins. 

I’m glad we didn’t sign him long-term mind you, and the franchise tags were escalatingly dumb. 

I’m guessing the two Franchise Tags plus that $30M guaranteed are probably more total guaranteed money than we ever would have offered all in one 5-year deal two years ago but it still seems like he ended up signing for less than he was wanting from us originally. I just think like Cousins he never had any intention of signing here regardless which is not only fine but understandable. 

I think most people here thought that his agent’s hopes in FA were a tad unrealistic given his injury history and the fact that their pie in the sky number was obviously based on the Franchise Tag number we slapped on him, which other teams on the open market wouldn’t be competing with the way we were. 

I think sometimes we forget that players are humans.  They read the papers, they hear the crap about the owner, they work out and practice at inferior facilities, they play in a stadium that has more away fans then commander fans, the physical stadium stinks.  Money will cover a lot of warts, however all that negative energy will get to you at some point.  He propbably had enough of the drama.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, sebestian said:

I think sometimes we forget that players are humans.  They read the papers, they hear the crap about the owner, they work out and practice at inferior facilities, they play in a stadium that has more away fans then commander fans, the physical stadium stinks.  Money will cover a lot of warts, however all that negative energy will get to you at some point.  He propbably had enough of the drama.  

He had enough of the drama and decided to go to... Jacksonville?

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

I've seen that we're interested in Marcus Williams, but given the premium Rivera places on position flex and the fact that we need help basically everywhere on D outside of the line, perhaps our Big Fish target should be Tyrann Mathieu instead? He's going to be entering his age 30 season but he's still an elite talent, can play all over the field, and has Super Bowl winning experience and brings veteran leadership. The problem is $$ and whether he wants to come to an organization as checkered as Washington. But he'd be playing behind an elite defensive line under a defensive-minded and well-respected Head Coach. 

If we signed Mathieu and Jordan Hicks in FA we could focus the draft on offense.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Tampa needs two new guards and Brady just rescinded his practice retirement. With this information,  Brandon chose Jacksonville over TB?

Questionable judgment. 

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Based on what Trubisky got from Pittsburgh we must've really valued Wentz since we're paying him 28 mil for one year and gave up various assets while Trubisky cost the Steelers zero assets and half of Wentz contract while getting a 2nd year out of him. I think I said this right?

You have to also factor in the very real risk that even with a better offer Trubiskey might have chosen the Steelers over us.

Ask yourself one question, if you were a free agent qb with one last chance to revive a floundering career would you choose our organization, ownership, coaches, stadium, fans etc. or the Steelers organization, ownership, coaches, stadium, fans etc.?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 7

- Carson Wentz

- Chase Young

- Jonathan Allen

- Terry McLaurin

- Montez Sweat

- Antonio Gibson

- Ereck Flowers

- Kam Curl

They are our main players anything outside of that non rookie, if it got cut or traded its not a huge deal

Would genuinely like us to get a bit more pro active, not for the sake of it but to generate space to try and bring in genuine stud players that take us to the next level

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

That's a good point.  But their drama was dealt with in a very professional manor.  Khan gave Meyer a chance to regain the trust if the plyers and he did not so he was gone.  I do not know if anything else is going on in Duvall, however given that they play a bunch of games in the Queens backyard, and he still wanted to take a little less money on the surface to join that team is more damning example of what possible lengths players may ne willing to go.  He turned down being offered to be the highest paid G in the league.  That got to mean something.  Jacksonville has much less drama, not state income tax, sunshine, vitamin D by the boatload, a franchise qb, for those who think he is not good leys see this year with the moves they have and Pederson running the ship.  

You do make a good point, I must acknowledge.

46 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

- Carson Wentz

- Chase Young

- Jonathan Allen

- Terry McLaurin

- Montez Sweat

- Antonio Gibson

- Ereck Flowers

- Kam Curl

They are our main players anything outside of that non rookie, if it got cut or traded its not a huge deal

Would genuinely like us to get a bit more pro active, not for the sake of it but to generate space to try and bring in genuine stud players that take us to the next level

Why is it that Tress Way is always out of those kind of list. Same for Chase Rouillier.

And I could care less if we moved from Gibson to a better RB. Guy is not suited for how we're using him.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Why is it that Tress Way is always out of those kind of list. Same for Chase Rouillier.

And I could care less if we moved from Gibson to a better RB. Guy is not suited for how we're using him.

WB, this is an oversight on my part, I did have both Way and Rouillier on there but took them out as I thought they were a given

Personally I'd like to see more from Gibson in receiving, but the intention of the post was to point out that we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that outside of the few above we have a strong roster, we really don't its average to middling and unless we get proactive it'll stay that way

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral

With 30 guaranteed and 33 million in the first 2, I wonder if most of guarantee is first 2 years with easy out year 3.  Basically makes those 2 year nearly 100% guaranteed.  Year 3 become guaranteed for injury like Collins contract did for us and its nearly completely all guaranteed.  

Guess we'll see full later, but guarantees are likely the difference for sure.

Edit:

Either way he's 3rd highest paid FA so far, meaning 3rd 3rd round comp pick (pick 99 if that makes more sense).

Settle projected as a 7th.  

Guess we'll see if either get scratched off the board.

Edited by CommDownMan

4 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I've seen that we're interested in Marcus Williams, but given the premium Rivera places on position flex and the fact that we need help basically everywhere on D outside of the line, perhaps our Big Fish target should be Tyrann Mathieu instead? He's going to be entering his age 30 season but he's still an elite talent, can play all over the field, and has Super Bowl winning experience and brings veteran leadership. The problem is $$ and whether he wants to come to an organization as checkered as Washington. But he'd be playing behind an elite defensive line under a defensive-minded and well-respected Head Coach. 

If we signed Mathieu and Jordan Hicks in FA we could focus the draft on offense.

I have seen both Williams and Mathieu are possibly on our interest list. 

Adding Mathieu or Williams and Hicks would be amazing. It would also allow focus on the O for the draft.

Another Chief that I have seen mentioned a couple times is RB Darrel Williams who would be a nice fit

• Like 2

I just sent the following urgent Western Union Telegram (I'm old school ok, emphasis on old) to Ron Rivera:

Attention Ron Rivera acting Commanders head coach, pending the return of Comrade Commander Snyder. STOP. Emergency warning message follows. STOP. Today is the Ides of March. STOP. Do not. Repeat. Do not under any circumstances sign ANY players today. STOP. Last year you signed Fitzpatrick on the Ides of March and we know how that ended. STOP. Take the day off. Stay home with your wife and family. Pet your dog. STOP. Tomorrow you can sign players with reckless abandon. STOP Whatever you do sign no one today and agree to no transactions. STOP.

END OF TELEGRAM.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I just sent the following urgent Western Union Telegram (I'm old school ok, emphasis on old) to Ron Rivera:

Attention Ron Rivera acting Commanders head coach, pending the return of Comrade Commander Snyder. STOP. Emergency warning message follows. STOP. Today is the Ides of March. STOP. Do not. Repeat. Do not under any circumstances sign ANY players today. STOP. Last year you signed Fitzpatrick on the Ides of March and we know how that ended. STOP. Take the day off. Stay home with your wife and family. Pet your dog. STOP. Tomorrow you can sign players with reckless abandon. STOP Whatever you do sign no one today and agree to no transactions. STOP.

END OF TELEGRAM.

This will be the post they listen to,  so great.   See you all tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I don't mind Scherff chasing the money.  The only thing that irked me a little about it is how much Scherff gushed about being here, loved Rivera, wanted to end his career here, etc.

But he alluded to it being out of his hands as if his agent decides his career.

Some speculated that Scherff wanted to go to the midwest.  others thought maybe he wanted to go to a winner. Some said said Scherr doesn't care so much about the money. Obvioulsy that was BS, Scherff was ALL abourt chasing the money.  I sort of get why he didn't say it that way openly but I'd rather he didn't pour it on so thick about why he wanted to stay.  Jacksonville barely give him more than our offer, too.  Be one thing if it was one heck of a payraise.

Having said that I am glad we aren't paying 16.5 million for a guard.  I liked him as a player more than some here did.  But I don't want to pay that much for any guard short of Q. Nelson. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mind Scherff chasing the money.  The only thing that irked me a little about it is how much Scherff gushed about being here, loved Rivera, wanted to end his career here, etc.

But he alluded to it being out of his hands as if his agent decides his career.

I was the same, I thought he came across disingenuous, it was a pretty average look for him

Still, he now plays for a far worse team than ours, I hope the extra couple of million a year is worth it for him and his agent

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

People should not post things like that (meaning the Nick Korte guy, not directed at you higskin). It's impossible to know what, if any comp picks there will be. A pretty silly and convoluted equation. And we jsut started free agency. Not to mention the Jags have the money and need to spend it. And in fairness it looks like a pretty good haul. I swear people whine jsut to whine sometimes.