Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Football Team vs Dallas Cowboys Prediction Thread: The Rivalry Is Reborn

skins island connection

Who Wins?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Raise Their Helmets In Victory?

• WFT
    • Cowboys

15 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

It's going to be hard for those offensive weapons to be used much if we can dominate TOP and keep our defense fresh.  That has been the key to beating the other teams we've faced - run the ball down their throats.  By the fourth quarter, I expect AG and Patterson to be ripping off huge runs because the cowgirls' defense will be so tired.

No doubt that's the formula.  Dallas obviously wants to stop this in its tracks, I'd presume by loading up the box to stop the run but if they can't do so, then we are in the driver's seat.  If on the other hand, Dallas builds a quick lead and we have to catch up, they are likely in the drivers seat.

They don't just have the weapons on the passing game but they are also much better at creating turnovers and have a better pass rush than we do factoring all their horses are back on that front and we don't have Sweat and Chase.

It seems like its obvious as heck that we have to win a Marty Ball type of game.  Dallas clearly knows this, too.  So I think the first quarter will be pivotal to set the tone of the game.  If they play to stop the run and we run it well anyway, then I think this games is ours.  If they stop the run and it becomes a shoot out, I think they got this one considering they got the bigger weapons both on offense and passing defense, too. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mistertim said:

I have a feeling we may be pushing our luck with this "low scoring squeaker wins vs high scoring teams" thing. That levee will break eventually and our offense is going to need to put up more than 20 points.

Thankfully we've put up 27, 29, 30, and 34 points in the other four wins as well...so scoring points isn't out of the question.

• Like 1

everything is going against the team.  injuries going against the media goliath!  goliath having extra days of rest!  goliath have all their strengths (well almost, they still don't have a dominant oline imo).  this game reminds me of when washington had the replacement players back in the 80's during the strike season, playing against a full strength cowboys team.  those replacement players beat the boys and oh boy, that was probably one of the best highlights of this team!  i am hoping that they dominate this game from beginning to end, throughout all phases of the game (offense, defense, special teams).  HAIL!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

"In the other four wins"...Not "in the last four wins".

Since we've been winning recently is what I'm concentrated on, because our game has changed since the bye. Defense is playing well, we're playing much more control the clock ball. 

Either way, our offense may need to step up this game unless our defense is lights out. We have one of the worst red zone TD percentages in the NFL. So yes, scoring points isn't out of the question, but our inability to punch it in enough could be problematic, especially if we end up in something closer to a shootout.

Edited by mistertim

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Since we've been winning recently is what I'm concentrated on, because our game has changed since the bye. Defense is playing well, we're playing much more control the clock ball. 

Either way, our offense may need to step up this game unless our defense is lights out. We have one of the worst red zone TD percentages in the NFL. So yes, scoring points isn't out of the question, but our inability to punch it in enough could be problematic, especially if we end up in something closer to a shootout.

Your post that I responded to focused specifically on "low scoring squeaker wins vs high scoring teams" thing. That levee will break eventually and our offense is going to need to put up more than 20 points." ...So that's what my response focused on, too lol...

And absolutely right about the offense needing to step up--I kind of said something similar in an earlier post about needing to be damn near perfect in the red zone as one of the keys to winning the game. we make to (or close to) the redzone 3 times, we have to come away with 3 TDs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hopefully our players get motivated the same way Russ Grimm got motivated against Randy White in the big 1982 game, when he changed Gibb's call just so he could keep run-blocking on a weary White.

Wasn't White also the one who previously threw the funeral wreath in our locker room

I hate Dallas.  You hate Dallas.  We all hate Dallas.  Hate their fans.  (I've admitted here before that I do have a soft spot for Jerruh, but that's IT.  I promise.)

But it's hard for me to believe these guys care on a level that the players did back in the 80s.  I think we want to believe that Jon Allen hates Dallas in the way that Grimm hated Randy White but I just don't see it.  I'm not questioning that they want to win, I believe our guys absolutely do.  But it's hard for me to believe in any rivalry amongst the players when they're hanging out on the field after the game and swapping jerseys.  That **** never would have happened back in the day.  

Sure, there's a rivalry amongst the fanbases, and I guess that's all that's really needed.  But with the fluidity of the players between teams these days, I really look at the NFL more like a fraternity of players that go hard against each other for 60 minutes but then take pictures together after.  I've been on the field directly following a Redskins/Cowboys game, it's like a group of old friends seeing each other instead of bitter rivals.  There's laughs, jokes, handshakes and hugs no matter the score.

Back before he was obsessed with running a multimedia conglomerate and sticking it to ESPN, Bill Simmons was actually a pretty decent sportswriter.  He wasn't Joe Posnanski or Mitch Albom or someone like that, but he could hold his own.  Anyway, he wrote this article that I dust off usually during Cowboys week:  http://www.espn.com/page2/wash/s/simmons/020314.html If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.  It's a trip down memory lane to the glory days of this franchise.

It made no sense for him to write it.  Simmons made his bones about being a long suffering Boston sports fan, so there was no reason for him to come down to DC to march around RFK with the Hogs and write a story.  Anyway, here's my favorite part of it:

That game sparked more memories than just about anything. Starke remembered how Bugel had quit smoking that season, but as the game grew closer and closer, he suddenly slipped off the wagon and became a chain-smoking maniac: "All week, Buges had been urging us to keep our composure, stay in control, and then by the third quarter, he's holding up both middle fingers, pointing them across the sideline and telling (Cowboys defensive coach Ernie) Stautner, 'F--- you!!!!!' He was more out of control than anybody!"

I think we'd like to believe that this rivalry is that heated but it's not.  

But that shouldn't stop any one of you from giving both middle fingers to a Cowboys fan this weekend.  Or anytime, really.

HTTR.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think we win a close game. Parsons has turned into a monster so I expect to see Heinike rolling away from him quite a bit. It looks like Pollard is hurt and may miss the game. That is good news. Because Elliott isnt the back he used to be. Lamb is going to be a handful for secondary. But Terry will be a handful for theirs as well. 

US: 24

Them: 20

51 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But it's hard for me to believe these guys care on a level that the players did back in the 80s.  I think we want to believe that Jon Allen hates Dallas in the way that Grimm hated Randy White but I just don't see it.  I'm not questioning that they want to win, I believe our guys absolutely do.  But it's hard for me to believe in any rivalry amongst the players when they're hanging out on the field after the game and swapping jerseys.  That **** never would have happened back in the day.  

In my simple observations, it was the advent of Free Agency that killed the player-hate-player rivalries...  heck, we sent Art Monk to Philly, we got Alvin Harper, Gary Clark to the Cardinals.

It felt like kissing your sister back in the day... but not in a good kind of way.  Now, it's just common practice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

In my simple observations, it was the advent of Free Agency that killed the player-hate-player rivalries...  heck, we sent Art Monk to Philly, we got Alvin Harper, Gary Clark to the Cardinals.

It felt like kissing your sister back in the day... but not in a good kind of way.  Now, it's just common practice.

Yep.  Free agency was/is necessary but it did kill that hatred rivalry.  

That, and these guys either...grew up together, or played college football together or against each other.  

• Thumb up 1

There are still rivalries. We just haven't been good enough for anyone to care to hate. To be fair neither have the Cowboys for the most part.

Look at Ravens/Steelers. Legit bad blood there because of years of tough physical close games between the two over the last ~20 years.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It seems like its obvious as heck that we have to win a Marty Ball type of game.  Dallas clearly knows this, too.  So I think the first quarter will be pivotal to set the tone of the game.  If they play to stop the run and we run it well anyway, then I think this games is ours.  If they stop the run and it becomes a shoot out, I think they got this one considering they got the bigger weapons both on offense and passing defense, too. 

Play action will kill the boys then and TH is very good at it. The TE's are going to have to fight and get balls in tight windows. I think Terry and Samuels will eat up the middle on Play action too. If Turner tries a longer more complicated / longer game plan we will lose. Can't have 3 and outs

• Like 1

I am changing my prediction.  Still a win but it's now 30-20 Team.  I think you will see the defense have their best game, thanks Mikey. I see the defense scoring at least once.

It won't be easy and it may look bad early on but this Team will find a way to win.

Edited by Rdskns2000

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Play action will kill the boys then and TH is very good at it. The TE's are going to have to fight and get balls in tight windows. I think Terry and Samuels will eat up the middle on Play action too. If Turner tries a longer more complicated / longer game plan we will lose. Can't have 3 and outs

Really wish we didn’t lose Logan Thomas last week :(

33 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Really wish we didn’t lose Logan Thomas last week :(

It hurts no doubt but they played a lot without him, including the first 3 wins in this run. Bates is not as good a pass catcher but is probably a better blocker 0 check that - he is a better blocker. The run game is how we win this game - we have to run and stop them from running. Not saying his loss is unimportant, not at all. But it's not devastating either. 

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It hurts no doubt but they played a lot without him, including the first 3 wins in this run. Bates is not as good a pass catcher but is probably a better blocker 0 check that - he is a better blocker. The run game is how we win this game - we have to run and stop them from running. Not saying his loss is unimportant, not at all. But it's not devastating either. 

I think RSJ might be back as well...

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I think RSJ might be back as well...

Didn't hear anything official but I also heard there was a good chance. Probably a Sunday decision. That would really help. He played really well until he got injured. Also may see a few more Reyes sightings - especially if RSJ cannot go.