Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Seahawks

KDawg

37 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

Why does ESPN keep saying we snapped an 8 game MNF losing streak? We beat the Steelers last year on MNF 12/7/20

Anyone can correct me on this, but wasn't that game technically a postponed game and not a scheduled ESPN MNF game?  Think i remember it being a fox broadcast, and thats probably what ESPN means by saying that.

BTW, I like the pajama outfit, especially this time of year.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

Fuller is now the 6th highest reated CB on the season. Allen is closing the gap to Donald and Heyward who are #1 and #2 among Dliners respectively.

Our linebackers also had solid game grades:

Linebacker

Cole Holcomb (47) and Jamin Davis (24) were the only two Washington off-ball linebackers who played against Seattle, and both earned 65.0-plus PFF grades on first review. The duo combined for two defensive stops, one missed tackle and just 37 yards allowed in coverage on six targets.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Anyone can correct me on this, but wasn't that game technically a postponed game and not a scheduled ESPN MNF game?  Think i remember it being a fox broadcast, and thats probably what ESPN means by saying that.

BTW, I like the pajama outfit, especially this time of year.

I believe that game was Monday afternoon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

Considering red zone offense is a big reason we’re not 7-4 I’d say that take has not yet reached its expiration date

I'd say the defense allowing an average of 30 points per game, pre-November was a bigger reason.

Worst team in the NFL in terms of points allowed.  Starting in November, it has gone down to 18.5 per game and they rank 10th in the league.  

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game?date=2021-10-31

Edited by DJHJR86
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, skins4ever28 said:

Why does ESPN keep saying we snapped an 8 game MNF losing streak? We beat the Steelers last year on MNF 12/7/20

That wasn’t on MNF, that was a Sunday game moved to Monday 5 PM. MNF is 8:15. 

32 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Correct. Since ravens Steelers thanksgiving game got postponed 4 different times and finally was played on a Wednesday at 4 PM, that caused us @ Steelers Sunday game to be moved to Monday 5 PM. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

We're 2-0 on MNF under RonCo. 1-0 in our pajama uniform and if we make it to the playoffs, 2-0 under ron and it'll be the first time since 91/92. That's nuts.

Well.....1-0 on MNF and 1-0 on Monday early evening football. Or, MEEF. That wasn’t a traditional MNF ESPN game. 

I generally don't have an issue with Scott Turner and for the most part I think he did a fine job yesterday, but man that stretch in the 3rd quarter where he kept running shotgun draw on 3rd and short was aggravating. I don't mind running it there but come on man, come up with something more creative than that. Its frustrating because Turner's play design is quite good, I can't believe we just kept going to that same well over and over again. That was our opportunity to put the game away and we didn't take advantage.

Beyond that, the only other real complaint is the two blown coverages more or less leading directly to touchdowns. If not for those two plays we pitch a shutout, blocked XP return aside which is just a fluke more than anything. But only having two blown assignments is still an upgrade over earlier in the season I guess, and we were really clean on penalties. Entire defense played great but it might have been more a product of the Seahawks being awful on offense.

A win is a win but we really should have beat these clowns by 20+.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve said before that Cheeseman is a concern for me. He has accuracy issues. On that blocked PAT he delivered it nearly behind the holder’s back. Not sure how much that contributed (nice recovery by the holder) but I’ve been seeing issues with his consistency. Anyone else notice that?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I’ve said before that Cheeseman is a concern for me. He has accuracy issues. On that blocked PAT he delivered it nearly behind the holder’s back. Not sure how much that contributed (nice recovery by the holder) but I’ve been seeing issues with his consistency. Anyone else notice that?

He's a rookie long snapper, so I cut him some slack. He will definitely improve over another off season.

A few thoughts:

- Critiquing the play calling is kindof my schtick.  I have a question: is it possible to like Scott Turner, like the philosophy, but hate the execution of the philosophy?  I like turner.  I think he schemes guys open, I think he adjusts the offense (on the whole) to take advantage of defense's weaknesses, and I think he's been coordinating with 1 hand tied behind his back for his entire time here, either due to incompetent or limited QB play, or general injuries.  So I like him, and I think he is, in general, doing a good job.

And I really like the philosophy of ball control, keep the other team off the field, run the ball, and control the game with the offense.  I like that a lot too.  It's the type of offense Joe Jackson Gibbs used, and there really is no reason it can't still be effective.  

AND I like the fact that if something is working, they stick with it until the opponent proves they can stop it.  That's another old-school Gibbs trait.  They'd run 50-gut 7,986 times in a row if the opponent couldn't stop it.  I'm completely down with that.

But all that said, I think Scott falls in love with the same running plays (Power-draw being one of them) on first down.  And I don't think he's anywhere near aggressive enough on second down after a <2 yard play on first down. The combination of these things means you're in 3rd down A LOT.  We seem to be allergic to trying to pick up a first down on second down.  

And what that does is it allows the defense to collapse and play everything short.  Now, some of this COULD be due to the fact TH just doesn't have the arm strength to throw some of medium (10-20) yard throws.  Things like medium-outs, curls, deep crosses, those balls have to be thrown with velocity or else they will get the receiver killed or result in a turnover.  So I get that part.  And good on Turner for not forcing plays his QB probably can't execute well.  However, there has to be more they can do to be less predictable, less plodding, and somewhat more explosive.  Just flip-flopping some runs from first to second down, replacing some second down runs with quick-game, anything, would help.  

By being extremely conservative, while Seattle was going 3-out 5 times in a row, we went 3-out 3 times in a row. We ran on (I think) 7 of the 9 plays, and gained something like a total of 20 yards.  We had the opportunity to be a little more aggress, mix it up, and put the game away.  Instead we played it SO conservative, and just kept punting the ball back.  That game should have been out of reach midway through the 3rd quarter, and we all should have had a relaxing end of the game. 

- TH is going to be the starter going into 2022 unless 1. he completely falls off a cliff the remaining 6 games (I doubt this) or 2. They get Rodgers/Russ/Watson/VetQBX who is a top 10 kind of guy.  There's nobody in the draft they will be able to get who will start right away, and I don't think they are going to go out and sign a Bridewater, Mitch, Marriota, etc.  We already have 2 of those guys, we don't need a third.  

- Davis starting to flash is really positive.

- After completely breaking the secondary, it seems to (mostly) have gotten it's mojo back.  WJIII and Fuller are both playing better, Collins, Holcomb and Davis are doing pretty well at LB, and Curl is outstanding.  McCain is also ok, though he's not elite.  It's getting better.  I really hope they don't try and re-build the entire secondary again.  Keep the guys they have, add a piece or two, and go with it.  As an aside, I don't think St. Juice played at all last night.  I think Danny Johnson has taken his spot.  Which is interesting.  

- I REALLY hope Young and Sweat are taking this time to understand that they can do the same things the current group are doing, just better, if they "trust the process."  They both are better athletes, and can elevate the defense even more.  But they have to be coachable, humble, and work at it.  They have to learn technique to go along with physical ability, and play within the scheme.  Can they?  Absolutely.  Will they? I dunno.  I fear Chase has too much Lavar in him for his own good.  Athletic freak, totally self absorbed and arrogant.  

• Like 6

Gibson - I like him and his stats are pretty good but he just seems to kind of run slow and misses a lot of open lanes. Those TD's that JD got last night, Gibson would have been caught, which is weird because all we heard was how fast he was. Maybe he just has straight line speed.

Jamin - Describing him as a player who flashed is like describing a guy who has potential. He needs to do more and make an impact on a regular basis. Need him to play like Parsons. Hopefully he gets there.