Kyle Allen (Houston)

Ricky Seals-Jones (NYG)

Landon Collins (Cap Release)

Erik Flowers (Cap Release)

Matt Ioannidis (Cap Release)

D. Everette (Released)

Re-Signed:

J.D. McKissic (RB) 

Troy Apke (Special Teams Ace who won't play defense)

Bobby McCain (FS)

Cam Sims (WR)

Charles Leno (LT, done earlier)

Tyler Larsen (Backup Center)

Cam Sims (WR)

Milo Eifler (LB)

Daniel Wise (DT)

Jon Toth (C)

Tendered:

Joey Slye (K)

Brian Johnson (K)

I've drawn a line through the ones below where we already have lost, and highlighted in Green the ones we've re-signed.    (Even through FItz hasn't signed, I'm crossing him off the list because he's not in the plans.)

1. Brandon Scherff (G) - NO.  As we all know, he's on a second franchise tag. I say you swallow it and let him walk.  He's not available enough to pay $18m/year long term.  

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick (QB) - NO.  I don't see the need. TH/Kyle Allen and a young QBX will be fine.

3. Charles Leno (OL) - YES.  He's locked down the left side, played well.

4. Jon Bostic (LB)  - NO.  (Though I have a sneaky suspicion they will re-sign him.  I think that's a mistake.)

5. Cam Sims (WR) - Sure/Why Not?  You can probably get him cheap, and it would make @TryTheBeal! happy.  

6. Cornelius Lucas (OL) - YES.  Played extremely well the last 2 years.  Great guy to have on your team.

7. J. D. McKissic (RB) - YES.  He's such a weapon in so many ways.

8. Darryl Roberts (CB) - Dunno.  I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about Darryl Roberts. (From here on down, if I put "Dunno" the same comment holds true)

9. Bobby McCain (CB/S) - NO.  I think there are better solutions to this problem to be had.

10. Adam Humphries (WR) - NO.  Milne Needs to take that role.

11. Tyler Larsen (C) - Maybe? If not, you need to find a new backup center.  

12. Danny Johnson (CB). Sure/Why Not?

13. Ricky Seals-Jones - YES.  And I think they will.  They really like the way he's developed.  It would be really nice to see him and Logan on the field at the same time.

14. David Mayo (ILB) - Dunno

15. Jared Norris (OLB) - Dunno

16. Torry McTyler (CB) - NO.  Sadly.  After being a good camp story, he's going to be coming off of an ACL.  I'm a heartless ****, yes I know.

17.  DeAndre Carter (WR) - YES.  And I would do it NOW.  He's filled in so well and helps so much on ST.

18. Com Elder (CB) - Dunno.  

19.  Kyle Allen (QB) - Sure/Why Not? Also, he's a restricted FA.

20. Joey Slye (K) - YES.  Bring Back the Slye Guy!

21. Troy Apke (ST) - Sure/Why Not.  You can get him cheap and he's good on ST.  He cannot be allowed to play any other position though.

22. Najee Toran (T) - Dunno

23. Jordan Kunsazyk (LB) - Dunno

24. Tim Settle (DT) - I think he's going to go somewhere where he can play, so I am not even putting a suggestion on him. 

24. Jalen Jelks (OLB) - Dunno

Looing forward 1 year, so guys you might want to lock up sooner than later.  The YES/NO would be do it THIS off-season, not let them get into their contract year.  

1. Ereck Flowers (G) - NO. I wouldn't do it this off-season, but I'd absolutely do it next off-season if he plays well in 2022.  

2. Da'Ron Payne (DT) - YES.  Lock him up now.  He would be playing on his 5th year option. 

3. Wes Schweitzer (G) - NO.  But I would next off-season

4. Matt Ioannidis (DT) - NO.  Maybe extend him next year. 

5. Montez Sweat (DE) - NO. I think they can still pick up his 5th year option which gets him through 2023 if I'm not mistaken.

6. Terry McLaurin (WR) - YES.  NOW. DO IT. 

7.  Taylor Heinecke (QB) - PUNT.  I know you want to re-sign him, but it's really unclear to what role at the moment, so I have no idea what you would set his salary at, and it really depends on whether or not they are bringing somebody else in.  

(There are a few others but they are all "Not now" consensus guys.  )

So, in summary, my "YES" guys are:

Terry McLaurin (a year early)

Da'Ron Payne (a year early)

Charles Leno

Cornelius Lucas

J.D. McKissick

Ricky Seals-Jones

D. Carter

Joey Slye Guy

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He cannot be allowed to play any other position though.

lol, is that a stipulation you want in his contract ?

I just want to say how commendable and amazing it is, that we've done so well with those bottom-dwelling draft picks :

These are all recent, like the last 2 years. So I think the late-round success Rivera-related.

They all seem to be exceeding, or on their way to exceeding, what you might normally expect from a 7th rounder.

Kam Curl

James Smith-Williams

Dax Milne

Shaka Toney

Jarrett Patterson (YES, I know he's not a 7th rounder, but still applies to the point at hand ; basically anyone taken after the 6th round)

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Good thread, jus a tad early considering season isn't over yet. 

This has been going on for quite a while, in other ways.

People have been looking at next year's draft for quite a while, even at specific positions, when the season isn't even close to being done yet and not giving the current players a full chance to show whether they need to be replaced by a high draft pick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You're not allowed to extend players until they play three seasons.

So...we can make an offer after the season but before free agency starts, right?  I hate the idea of him hitting the open market, open to the franchise tag jus to be safe.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So...we can make an offer after the season but before free agency starts, right?  I hate the idea of him hitting the open market, open to the franchise tag jus to be safe.

I'm not sure what the exact timing is.

He's not a FA though until 2023, but I wouldn't take any chances and just extend him early.

• Like 2

Flowers and Sweitzer are tough ones for me.  Those two are fun to watch and are mauling folks.  We saw Flowers get a nice deal from Miami, and assuming Scherff leaves, we could be in a pickle after next year.  

Whether it’s TH or a rook (or whomever), I want them to have a solid oline.  Charles is still an unknown… at least to me.  

Edit: to clarify, I meant tough ones from the standpoint of whether to extend them this year or next.  Might be better for all parties to do it sooner - the player’s get financial security and don’t have to sweat an injury impacting their finances the next few years, and the team might be able to get a better deal because of that.  But I don’t know.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

1. Brandon Scherff (G) - NO.  

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick (QB) - NO. 

3. Charles Leno (OL) - YES.  

4. Jon Bostic (LB)  - NO.  

5. Cam Sims (WR) - NO

6. Cornelius Lucas (OL) - YES. 

7. J. D. McKissic (RB) - Maybe depending on his contract. I'd rather draft a RB1 and move AG to this role

8. Darryl Roberts (CB) - NO

9. Bobby McCain (CB/S) - NO.  

10. Adam Humphries (WR) - NO.  

11. Tyler Larsen (C) - yes if it's a back ups contract but I doubt it

12. Danny Johnson (CB). Yes

13. Ricky Seals-Jones - NO he'll be a TE1 for someone and be paid for it. We have depth at the position 

14. David Mayo (ILB) - NO

15. Jared Norris (OLB) - NO

16. Torry McTyler (CB) - Maybe depending on health

17.  Deandra Carter (WR) - NO, but definitely resign her brother DeAndre

18. Com Elder (CB) - No

19.  Kyle Allen (QB) - probably 

20. Joey Slye (K) - YES.  Bring Back the Slye Guy!

21. Troy Apke (ST) - hell yes lol

22. Najee Toran (T) - no

23. Jordan Kunsazyk (LB) - no

24. Tim Settle (DT) - NO he'll go start for someone. 

Year 2

1. Ereck Flowers (G) - NO. I wouldn't do it this off-season, but I'd absolutely do it next off-season if he plays well in 2022.  

2. Da'Ron Payne (DT) - YES.  Lock him up now.  He would be playing on his 5th year option. 

3. Wes Schweitzer (G) -yes worth an extension. 

4. Matt Ioannidis (DT) - Maybe. He's been kinda healthy but underwhelming. We'll see.

5. Montez Sweat (DE) - NO. He's around for 2 years and valuable trade bait for now

6. Terry McLaurin (WR) - YES.  

7.  Taylor Heinecke (QB) - Maybe during the season next year depending on play

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes but they are still under contract for next season.  

So I’d definitely do it but not necessarily make it a priority this off season.  

Pretty much an extension mid season would work for them. 

Pretty sure our offensive line absolutely loves coming to work together. That's priceless. Can't wait to get Chase back.

One thing to add, According to Overthecap.com, Washington has the 6th most available cap space available at $61M free space available.  However, they only have 35 players under contract, so if they paid the absolute minimum to the remaining folks to fill the roster, they would have $47.5 million available. That's still pretty good.  

The $61M is the 6th most in the league, behind 1. Dolphins, 2. Chargers 3. Jags 4. Broncos 5. Bengals (As an aside, the one thing all of those teams have in common is they are not paying for a high-priced QB.)

Also of note, some of our division "friends" have some tough cap situations.  

Dallas: $-11M with only 43 players under contract

Giants $4.2M with only 42 players under contract

The Eagles are "ok"  They have $20M available with 48 players under contract.  So they can be players in FA.  (NOTE: I don't think they really can afford, without making a lot of moves, to trade for Watson.  

Also, it's time for the Vikings to pay the piper for that Kirk contract.  They are $-5M with only 43 players signed.  If they sign 10 guys to minimum contracts, they would be $-11M.  

The Saints have by far the worst situation, being $50M over the cap.  With 40 players signed.  They are going to have to eat a lot of contracts just to get under the cap.  They could be looking at a few bleak years since they don't have a QB, and they are going to have to shed a lot of high-value players to get under the cap.  

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

1. Brandon Scherff (G) - NO.  

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick (QB) - NO. 

3. Charles Leno (OL) - YES.  

4. Jon Bostic (LB)  - NO.  

5. Cam Sims (WR) - NO

6. Cornelius Lucas (OL) - YES. 

7. J. D. McKissic (RB) - Maybe depending on his contract. I'd rather draft a RB1 and move AG to this role

8. Darryl Roberts (CB) - NO

9. Bobby McCain (CB/S) - NO.  

10. Adam Humphries (WR) - NO.  

11. Tyler Larsen (C) - yes if it's a back ups contract but I doubt it

12. Danny Johnson (CB). Yes

13. Ricky Seals-Jones - NO he'll be a TE1 for someone and be paid for it. We have depth at the position 

14. David Mayo (ILB) - NO

15. Jared Norris (OLB) - NO

16. Torry McTyler (CB) - Maybe depending on health

17.  Deandra Carter (WR) - NO, but definitely resign her brother DeAndre

18. Com Elder (CB) - No

19.  Kyle Allen (QB) - probably 

20. Joey Slye (K) - YES.  Bring Back the Slye Guy!

21. Troy Apke (ST) - hell yes lol

22. Najee Toran (T) - no

23. Jordan Kunsazyk (LB) - no

24. Tim Settle (DT) - NO he'll go start for someone. 

Year 2

3. Wes Schweitzer (G) -yes worth an extension. 

4. Matt Ioannidis (DT) - Maybe. He's been kinda healthy but underwhelming. We'll see.

5. Montez Sweat (DE) - NO. He's around for 2 years and valuable trade bait for now

6. Terry McLaurin (WR) - YES.  

7.  Taylor Heinecke (QB) - Maybe during the season next year depending on play

If it came to it, I'd rather keep McKissic over Gibson if it came down to the 3rd down RB role. He is a must resign for me. No one is going to sign Ricky Seals Jones to be a TE1 unless they are absolutely desperate. Given his pedigree, I doubt Larsen starts somewhere else either

I don't think the team should resign Scherff either but how much of an impact has he had on the team winning the last two games?  The team is 4 - 2 when he is starting at the losses came to the Bills and Chargers.  Is the renewed emphasis on the running game due to Scherff being back in the line-up?  I had high hopes that S. Charles could be a starting Guard for the team.  

4 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I don't think the team should resign Scherff either but how much of an impact has he had on the team winning the last two games?  The team is 4 - 2 when he is starting at the losses came to the Bills and Chargers.  Is the renewed emphasis on the running game due to Scherff being back in the line-up?  I had high hopes that S. Charles could be a starting Guard for the team.  

I think Charles, at this point is a sunk cost. Injury problems are one thing, playing poorly in the little time he's been healthy are another. 

• Like 1

Humphries: If TH wants him back then do it. I love what Humphries brings....you're gonna see him win us a game this year same as Carter did last week. Humphries is the type of chain mover we can't take for granted. I hear you on Milne but I'd keep them both. 

Terry

Samuel

Sims

Humphries

Milne

Brown

Carter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I think Charles, at this point is a sunk cost. Injury problems are one thing, playing poorly in the little time he's been healthy are another. 

Has he been bad? What is his forecasted future position? Does he have flexibility? Where is he ranked out of our current linemen by our coaching staff? Wasn't he supposed to be a 1st round talent who fell because of suspensions at LSU?