Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Off-Season "Who do we re-sign?" Thread

Voice_of_Reason

19 hours ago, Silvernon said:

4. Jon Bostic (LB)  - MAYBE.

There is no way on God's green earth I would re-sign Bostic. He is Ron's crutch.  he's not good enough.  

5. Cam Sims (WR) - MAYBE.

I would only do this if they were actually going to play him.  In his current role, I don't see the need.

6. Cornelius Lucas (OL) - NO.

Why not? He's a good backup swing tackle.  

9. Bobby McCain (CB/S) - YES.

I'm starting to come around to less change in the secondary the better.  But I wouldn't do more than a 2 year deal for him. 

10. Adam Humphries (WR) - MAYBE.

The questions here are can Milne take his role and would he even want to come back.  

11. Tyler Larsen (C) - NO. 

You need a backup center.  If you don't bring him back, they need to go find a backup center.  He might not be great, hell I don't even know when he will be available.  But as a backup, he plays a valuable role.

13. Ricky Seals-Jones (TE) - MAYBE.  

I would, or find somebody similar because we have no idea when Thomas is coming back, and they cant just have Bates and Reyes.

16. Torry McTyler (CB) - NO. 

There is no reason not to bring him back for camp.  Shrug.  I wouldn't care one way or the other. But he was playing fairly well until he got hurt. 

21. Troy Apke (ST) - YES.

ES will break if they re-sign Apke.

24. Tim Settle (DT) - MAYBE.

He's gone.  he will go somewhere where he can play. UNLESS they trade Payne, and extend Matty I. and sign Settle to be the 3 man rotation.  

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I can see how you can reach this conclusion.  However, I would like to point you to the 2 Dallas games from last year when we throttled them pretty good. 

The reason is simple: Last year - No Dak, and they were really beat up.  (And horribly coached defensively).

This year: With Dak, much healthier, and we were beat up.

There is a razor's edge in the NFL, and if a few things go the wrong way, things can snowball.

Allen and McLaurin are 2 of the premier players at their positions.  Payne is at least a B+ player. Sweat ... I'm not sure.  He has all the talent in the world but hasn't put it together.  If they were to trade him, that's fine.  

The problem I think people are seeing is that for the better part of the last month, we haven't seen anything approaching our actual roster.   Depth is massively important in the NFL.  You can't be one deep.  You have to be 2 deep, and have capable backups.  

However, we're not playing with backups.  We're playing with guys who are backups to the backups who were the backups.  

Now, I would agree that we CAN'T reply on guys who are oft injured to stay healthy. Bruce did that with CT, Reed, a few others, and it never worked.  Hence why I think they need to let Brandon Scherff go.

But the players who we are talking about bringing back, at least most of them, are roll-player kind of guys anyway:

Leno is a serviceable LT.  If you don't re-sign him, you aren't going to find an A+ LT on the FA market, and you only have 1 first round pick. 

Lucas is a very valuable backup swing tackle. If you don't bring him back, who plays that role? 

J. D. McKissic is good for what he is.  And he's not expensive.  He's fast, does a lot of things, and brings diversity.  This does not mean you still don't try and bring in a better RB.  

... I could go on.

You can't turn over 2/3 of the roster in one year with quality players.  It's just not possible.

One other thing I would note: We TRIED to upgrade the secondary last year.  Every single talent evaluator would put WJIII ahead of Darby. We drafted St. Juice, who looked pretty promising for a rookie for a while.  What happened?  We completely broke the chemistry of a secondary which was playing pretty well.  As soon as they put Collins back up in the box, Kurl back in at SS, and moved Fuller back outside, the secondary looked MUCH better.  Fuller looked like trash the beginning part of the season.  Then he looked really good for a while.  Why?  Because it's more than just talent.  It's how you position the talent.  

Which is why you need to be judicious about who you retain, and then go after high-impact players in FA.

I do think there will be at least 1 DL traded in the off-season.  I don't know if it will be Sweat or Payne.  It's possible they trade both.  Something is not right on the DL.  The Chemistry is just not there, and it shows.  So if you have to break it up, you have to break it up.  

What would Chase Young be worth in a trade 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is no way on God's green earth I would re-sign Bostic. He is Ron's crutch.  he's not good enough.  

I would only do this if they were actually going to play him.  In his current role, I don't see the need.

I'm starting to come around to less change in the secondary the better.  But I wouldn't do more than a 2 year deal for him. 

The questions here are can Milne take his role and would he even want to come back.  

You need a backup center.  If you don't bring him back, they need to go find a backup center.  He might not be great, hell I don't even know when he will be available.  But as a backup, he plays a valuable role.

I would, or find somebody similar because we have no idea when Thomas is coming back, and they cant just have Bates and Reyes.

There is no reason not to bring him back for camp.  Shrug.  I wouldn't care one way or the other. But he was playing fairly well until he got hurt. 

He's gone.  he will go somewhere where he can play. UNLESS they trade Payne, and extend Matty I. and sign Settle to be the 3 man rotation.  

Keep settles and Matt. Trade Payne 

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It hurt to do it, but I also remember the quality of reserve LBs in free agency last year and it was putrid. So, I'm alright with it....I guess.

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I actually really don't like Cam Sims' route running. But, I can see it for teams as the sixth guy and good in the locker room. Price dependent.

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think Lucas has beef with Leno for taking a starting spot from him. I'd rather be looking for the replacement for Leno or Cosmi on the right.

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

McCain's been a lot better than people think. Some bad plays stand out, but it's the best FS play up they've had in years. Would love a young ballhawking FS...but yeah. 

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I could see him being liked by a veteran QB or conversely the staff choosing to go with the vet in the slot and Milne may be cut. Could go either way. 

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Always talk about position flex and the lines. I see them drafting someone to replace Larsen. Maybe they only go tackle and keep Larsen for another year, but he wasn't awesome. Replacement level. Meh.

31 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Reyes has been very strong on teams of late. I think that makes the 4TEs viable next year. And if that is the case, RSJ would be nice as the 2a at TE. 

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

To camp, sure. But McTyer shouldn't be on the team next year. They have their top 3 signed. They talked of drafting corners in the first round in years past. They clearly want upgraded play in the secondary. 

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think he really is a special teams ace and maybe the best gunner in the league. I'd sign him long-term............

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Settle and Payne's are both maybe's because it's one or the other. If Payne is out, not sure how you don't keep Settle. 

2 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

What would Chase Young be worth in a trade 

We’re not trading Chase Young unless it’s part of a package for a franchise QB.  

Otherwise he’s here.

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

yeah but he going to be very expensive 

Eh, maybe. 

The question for me is whether there is beef between him and Allen.  If there is, he needs to go.  

On 11/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, kingdaddy said:

If we are going to get a franchise Qb it's going to cost a first round pick, payne, and young or sweat. Is young worth two first round picks. I don't think we can resign all 4 players on dline.So you got to trade one anyway. If you resign the other two dt and keep one of the d ends plus allen you still have a real good dline plus top flight QB

On 11/23/2021 at 1:20 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Haha.  That's good.

I've corrected the OP.  

3 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Keep settles and Matt. Trade Payne 

Totally agree on that....

Maybe we can strike a deal with the Bills.  Trade Payne and a 3rd for their first round pick or swap him straight up for MLB Edmunds.  But I think Payne wants out and I would re-sign Settle who hasn't really had a fair shot at showing what he can do.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You realize Payne is actually better than both of them by a wide margin, yes?

The question is whether he's worth more than both of them, plus what he would garner in a trade, plus some cap space.

The team is a about three years away from having a near $100 mil per year starting DL. Which is just kind of dumb.

A forward-thinking organization would have looked at dealing him. year ago, maybe a year and a half. 

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The question is whether he's worth more than both of them, plus what he would garner in a trade, plus some cap space.

The team is a about three years away from having a near $100 mil per year starting DL. Which is just kind of dumb.

A forward-thinking organization would have looked at dealing him. year ago, maybe a year and a half. 

We have a ton of cao space. Payne better then those two but if we lose payne keep other two DT and add bobby Wagner from Seattle are defense is better.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

We have a ton of cao space. Payne better then those two but if we lose payne keep other two DT and add bobby Wagner from Seattle are defense is better.

We don't really have a ton of space. But my point is more about the long-term anyway. 1/3+ of your space going to your starting DL is not a good way to spend cap space.

• Like 2

Our cap space will soon evaporate once we sign players up to the required minimum levels then bring back a couple of our own FA’s. Once you deduct what we tend to retain for in season moves, the real cap space available for external FA’s is more than likely a third of what you are reading right now on various sites.

Add onto that an expensive veteran QB and its all but gone. Think that’s another reason why I’d go down the draft route.

The continual use of first round picks on DL is probably coming home to roost this offseason too. Got to think we look to move someone on. Maybe a couple. 

12 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Leno is back.  Nice to get that out of the way.

Imagine Settle walking and trading Payne.  Then bringing back Apke as the only one from the 2018 class to get a second contract.

I think Settle stays and Payne walks.  No chance both are gone

On 1/5/2022 at 4:06 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Our cap space will soon evaporate once we sign players up to the required minimum levels then bring back a couple of our own FA’s. Once you deduct what we tend to retain for in season moves, the real cap space available for external FA’s is more than likely a third of what you are reading right now on various sites.

Add onto that an expensive veteran QB and its all but gone. Think that’s another reason why I’d go down the draft route.

The continual use of first round picks on DL is probably coming home to roost this offseason too. Got to think we look to move someone on. Maybe a couple. 

Yeah, with a big caveat of “if my math is right”… 60mil minus 12 for Leno, 15 for rookie pool and in-season stuff gets you to 33.  I believe we have 36 under contract right now?  Plus 6(?) draft picks means we’re 11 short.  So another 5-10 mil to fill out those spots (though I assume McCain and McKissick re-sign and maybe some others).  So something like 25mil remaining with only Leno re-signed.  Enough to add some guys, but not a whole lot of space really.  As you suggest, this is part of why I’m not sure a vet qb is good for us…

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, with a big caveat of “if my math is right”… 60mil minus 12 for Leno, 15 for rookie pool and in-season stuff gets you to 33.  I believe we have 36 under contract right now?  Plus 6(?) draft picks means we’re 11 short.  So another 5-10 mil to fill out those spots (though I assume McCain and McKissick re-sign and maybe some others).  So something like 25mil remaining with only Leno re-signed.  Enough to add some guys, but not a whole lot of space really.  As you suggest, this is part of why I’m not sure a vet qb is good for us…

Leno's contract will probably have a small 2022 cap hit, wouldn't surprise me if it's 5m or lower. I am still waiting to see the guaranteed money in his contract. Probably round the 17/20m range. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

We were expected to have the fourth most cap space, but this was prior to the Leno deal.  And we have guys in Collins and Payne that can create more space if necessary.

Outside of QB, I think the one position worth splurging on is MLB and I hope it is Wagner. For WR2, I think you can trade a late day 3 pick or do a pick swap for someone like a Marvin Jones or you can go sign someone like a Josh Reynolds. Otherwise, please bring in the next batch of overachieving tier 2 and tier 3 free agents. What I've learned is that is where this regime does the best.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, method man said:

Outside of QB, I think the one position worth splurging on is MLB and I hope it is Wagner. For WR2, I think you can trade a late day 3 pick or do a pick swap for someone like a Marvin Jones or you can go sign someone like a Josh Reynolds. Otherwise, please bring in the next batch of overachieving tier 2 and tier 3 free agents. What I've learned is that is where this regime does the best.

Problem with splurging on MLB is that the choices are not great, especially if Wagner stays with Seattle.  Maybe there may a surprise cap cut like Blake Martinez, but I think they’ll have to go to the draft well again for MLB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Problem with splurging on MLB is that the choices are not great, especially if Wagner stays with Seattle.  Maybe there may a surprise cap cut like Blake Martinez, but I think they’ll have to go to the draft well again for MLB.

I fully agree with this. That is why if Wagner hits the market, they need to do whatever they need to do to get him. I like AJ Johnson but he hasn't been the playcaller on the Broncos D - that has been Josey Jewell

12 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Felt like Martinez was the guy they goofed on not going after two years ago. Perryman last year.

With either of those FA signings, they would then have allowed us drafting a LB in let's say the 3rd round last year instead of the first last year.  Martinez would have allowed for Bostic to be a backup two years ago

Edited by DWinzit

On 11/23/2021 at 7:32 AM, Koolblue13 said:

24. Tim Settle (DT) - NO he'll go start for someone. 

Going into the season, I may have agreed with this, but he barely played with Ioaniddis back.  He was getting single digit snaps for half the year.  I doubt some team is gonna pay him and make him a starter.  I think he'll take the chance to get more playing time.  But we'll see what the market is, since he barely got on the field.

• Like 1