Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Washington vs. Tampa

KDawg

17 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm sorry, 11 of your 19 first down runs resulting on 2 yards or less is not debatable.  It's bad.  It's not just bad, it's REALLY REALLY bad.

Also, we averaged 2.4 yards, not even 3.34 yards.

There is just no way to cut it, it's bad.

Now, what's different is that on runs on second and 3rd down, they were much more productive.

Why?  Because they ran in unpredictable situations.  The defense didn't key off of the tendency, they had to defend both run and pass, and you give the OL and RBs the ability to make some hay.  

So my issues is not that we should run less, it's that we should mix up what we're doing on first down more.  65% run on first down in today's NFL is too much.  It makes you one dimensional and predictable, with predictable results.

Take half of the first down runs, convert them to passes, and then run on second down instead.  I know, over-simplification, but it would be more productive.

The offense dominated time of possession and helped support Heineke avoid turning the ball over or having many TO worthy plays. It was a low ceiling and and hope for a high floor type offensive game plan. Time of possession and momentum were dominated by Washington and the commitment to the run game was a factor. 

My guess is the goal was to be a threat to run the ball on all downs, 2nd and 7 or 8 keeps that goal alive. 

I was happy with the commitment to the run, it was the first game the offense seemed to establish an identity where all were on the same page. Support Heineke and let him do his magic in 3rd and short situations.

I want more Gibson runs up the gut, especially if this turns into an “aha” game for him in how he can secure 10mil a year in this league— be decisive and punish people.

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Milne anticipated the hit. And prepared for it.

But the way that ball was punched out, was Josh-Normanesque.

Perfectly placed punch, and I'm guessing the perfect amount of force.

Maybe Milne just needs to work on some selective muscle work, to strengthen that grip ? :D

Well if thats the case then they should just put me in the slot.  I would NEVER fumble. :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Just look at the players we won with yesterday (in addition to our studs) and ask yourself how we did it:

TH

Carter (huge plays)

Seals Jones

Bates

Milne

Humphries

Patterson

Sims

Who'm I missin? 

This is what makes TH so special.  He distributes the ball to whoever (sometimes the CB and FS too), but everyone is involved... whether you're a starter or a backup.  It was evident when he came into the TB game last year... that receivers who Alex avoided like the plague were getting receptions.

TH is making the most of the depleted skill players he's got.

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Just look at the players we won with yesterday (in addition to our studs) and ask yourself how we did it:

TH

Carter (huge plays)

Seals Jones

Bates

Milne

Humphries

Patterson

Sims

Who'm I missin? 

I think you’re missing:

- Rob Gronkowski (DNP)

- Antonio Brown (DNP)

- Richard Sherman (DNP)

🙂

Edited by SB17

My only issue was that we ran into obvious run blitzes. Is Heinicke not allowed to audible out of plays? I don't mind running if its against a favorable front and you do NOT want to run sideline to sideline against the Bucs, but if they're stacking a bunch of guys along every gap you should probably change to some kind of quick pass.

• Like 4

I was quite surprised to see how the entire team handled themselves, not to mention NOT coming out flat after a bye. Shocked!

I know TH isn't the answer, but damn it is fun watching him. The one thing that drives me nuts is to see a QB staring down 1 receiver the whole way, just waiting for them to get open; I didn't see that with TH, and that shows alot more than given credit for. 

If only Logan Thomas wasn't out and they had 1 more good WR; I think TH could do alot more on the field than some think. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I mean, he made two 28 yard chip shots and a 46 yarder. He didn't miss a kick, so that's good. But it seems to me he was just hitting the kicks he should have at the NFL level. He wasn't out there booming 60 yarders.

This is better than Dustin Hopkins, who saved by a penalty against the Giants, missed a field goal or extra point in all but two games.

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

My only issue was that we ran into obvious run blitzes. Is Heinicke not allowed to audible out of plays? I don't mind running if its against a favorable front and you do NOT want to run sideline to sideline against the Bucs, but if they're stacking a bunch of guys along every gap you should probably change to some kind of quick pass.

I think that's the point of what they're doing. Forcing you to check into throwing the ball and take away your run. We kept at it and then in the 4rth it opened up or PA game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, petey hodge said:

This is what makes TH so special.  He distributes the ball to whoever (sometimes the CB and FS too), but everyone is involved... whether you're a starter or a backup.  It was evident when he came into the TB game last year... that receivers who Alex avoided like the plague were getting receptions.

TH is making the most of the depleted skill players he's got.

This is what I noticed last year too. This year, not so much. I thought he would at least go to Sims more because they seemed to connect in the playoffs last year. But partially because of the injury to Sims but also we're just not seeing him get enough action. And its not just Sims, but Dax, Humphres, Carter all these lower ranked WRs aren't getting shots, especially before this game. And with the injuries to Thomas, Curtis, and Brown I was looking for him to spread it around more. Hopefully that continues after Sunday. 

The coaching Staff on both offense and defense deserve a lot of credit for sticking with it. The players too. This was a great win. The D is finally starting to play the way we thought they would. The Offensive plan was also excellent, going against the grain and pounding the ball for the time of possession win, which eventually led the Bucs to fold. Oline has been exceptional this season. For as stinky as we’ve been at 3-6, they showed fight. 

Jonathan Allen has been an absolute monster this season. And to think there were many on this board taking him for granted, re his contract, and just what he’s worth. He’s clearly the most valuable, consistent, and deserving of praise on this Defense.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 1

I know some think Scott Turner is a moron.  I am not sure personally if I am a Turner guy or not but I don't think he's a train wreck like some others do.

Why?

A.  He's heavy on backfield motion which is the "it" thing in the NFL ala McVay, Shanny, Reid.

B.  Anayltics guys mostly love him as for playing the odds-percentages.  Rivera has talked about they have an anayltics guy who pump in to them via their headhones the odds to them on plays.  

C.  Seems like guys get open.  That's the key for me that I have to study.  Just seeing odd clips here and there, you see guys open but alas Qbs miss them.  But I haven't really sat down yet and studied this so maybe my take will change. 

I get every game there are some head scratcher calls but that's the case with me for EVERY offensive coordinator in the league.  Heck if we had to make 50 decisions on the fly at our job I bet we'd all have some bad decisions in that mix.  No one is perfect.  It's not that I am sold on Scott, I am not sure.  But I am definitely not in the camp that he's some slam dunk moron and its 100% obvious. 

He certainly has some respect around the league and his dad is an offensive play caller legend who apparently is behind the scenes involved with this offense. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I don't get the Turner hate either. The offense even when healthy isn't exactly loaded, but right now its pretty bare bones. Still, we're moving the ball almost at will. We've punted like twice combined the last three or four games. This is with a banged up Gibson, 2-3 starters missing on the OL, missing TE, and only one credible NFL WR. Oh, and a backup QB that was an XFL backup.

I'm not saying he's a Mcvay like savant, and sure you can nitpick some of his playcalling(but you can do that for EVERY playcaller in the league). But I'd reckon he's in the upper half of OCs in the league. I still don't think its fair to really evaluate him until he gets a legitimate NFL QB. We haven't had one since Cousins in 2017.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 5:43 PM, Warhead36 said:

He probably hasn't earned that right yet, but I wish they'd give it to him.  I can think of at least twice against the bucs where he not only didn't audible, he passed to the intended target despite it already being sniffed out. 

That one play where the bucs player tapped it in the air, he was already between Taylor and the target, yet threw it anyway.  I still believe he does stuff like that because of not wanting to blow his shot or piss off the coaches. But sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness then permission.  

Jason Campbell is an extreme example of that, I always felt he'd run the play as called no matter how bad he knew it would turn out.  

On 11/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

3.  The WJIII penalty was the stupidest penalty I think I've seen in a WFT/Redskin game since Michael Westbrook took off his helmet in a game against the Giants (I think) knocking them out of FG range.  It was completely unnecessary.  There were other people there rallying to make the tackle.  The clock had expired.  All they had to do was get him down.

I was pissed. So boneheaded. So unnecessary. Especially against a team who has Tom Brady at QB who could use as many points as he can get to come after you in the end.

• Like 1

WJ's penalty was one of those where we would have literally been better off with him not being on the field at all and just playing with ten guys, it was that bad. There were other guys there that would have pushed the receiver out of bounds and ended the half.

He's not a terrible player but I'm starting to think WJ might be the dumbest player in the league and one of the dumbest to ever play. Absolutely no football IQ/awareness.