Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Washington vs. Tampa

KDawg

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Not to be a debbie downer..but..where was this intensity in the previous games? What changed. The DE's??? Playing within the scheme...Offense has been "OK" considering how many players went down/not there. Did they stop "chipping" the DE's and played straight up for the 1st time?

This just seemed like a more motivated team with hungrier players playing....Is that coaching?

I had accepted that this team couldn't play a good team and resigned to doing something else on Sundays. AGAIN..they screwed up my plan...

I think the defense has been thinking too much. Lot of new players in a new system  and the coaching staff figuring out where everyone needs to be. They love versatility but sometimes asking a guy to do too much can be a bad thing.  Defense has to attack, not sit back and react. We dictated for the first time all season!

McCain and Curl at safeties seems to be working, Landon at linebacker solidifies the linebackers, front and backend playing together, Jamin Davis playing some ball now. Defense was solid yesterday. 

No drive killing penalties, Gibson not trying to be Barry Sanders getting 4 yards and falling forward, Mckissic getting his touches, an NFL kicker, and finally running the football.  

recipe for success there.

Best thing is that they had two weeks and didn't **** off with it.  How many times have we seen a WFT team come out of a bye and look like absolute ****?  And we're all on here like YOU HAD TWO WEEKS THIS IS THE BEST YOU COULD DO????

They had two weeks and obviously worked hard, prepared well, came out with a plan and stepped up and smacked the **** out of the Bucs.  And they had two weeks, too.  Props to the coaching staff.  

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

32 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Really curious what the backup Edge guys look like on a film breakdown.  I heard Shaka Toney flashed in his limited snaps.  I hope he gets more playing time.

Okay, so I'm a bit of a narcissist :)

On 9/27/2021 at 6:19 PM, Chump Bailey said:

I'd like to see Shaka Toney get some action. Can't hurt. 

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It looked like we blitzed more with the injuries to Sweat and Young and it seemed to pay off. But really being able to get pressure up the middle has always been the key to beating Brady. That and tight man coverage, and we pulled off both yesterday.

Allen got a big hit on Brady early and it seemed to me like he rushed a bunch of throws after that hit. Allen is playing the best I've seen him play, looks like a pro bowler/game changing player.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Begs the question as to why we don't play more man. TB has great receivers / better than most we faced..if it works for them..why not play more man like we've been screaming. That Zone BS is killing us.

I haven't checked in a couple of weeks but pre Jackson injury, we had one of the heaviest man playing schemes in the league.  Last year, that wasn't the case, they didn't play much man.  I suspect when Jackson was out they went back to a heavier zone scheme. 

Before yesterday their passing defense was ranked dead last.  

To play man, you got to have sticky corners otherwise you tend to give up big plays.  As Keenan Allen told Chase in game #1 if the WFT plays man on him in the last drive, he's going to burn them and the Chargers will win.  They played him man, and Allen had fun bragging about it later to the press.

As Logan Paulsen likes to say, teams play more zone than man in today's NFL in part because todays WRs are just too good and the rules favor the offense.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I’ll put the TH thing in perspective. I hate odu (see won’t even capitalize.  Trust me the hate is mutual with the fans..) but the guy plays with absolute heart.  I really wish he had a nfl arm.  You can tell he loves to play.  Some QBs take it for granted. He doesn’t.  He cherishes every play. He really makes you cheer for him and again this coming a VCU person

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The stats look a little weird. I thought Gibson ran well but the YPC weren't great.

Keep in mind that when Gibson got tackled short it was for a loss of 2-3 yards.  Tampa Bay was run blitzing like crazy.  So that'll skew the YPC.  He ran well when the blitz didn't get into the backfield.

I love how aggressive Tampa Bay's defense is.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Collins isn't a Safety anymore so its really not a 3 Safety defense.

I thought the coaches stopped lining him up there, but apparently the beatwriters are saying he lined up as a safety some of the time.  So it counts.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

:( :( :( - William Jackson III (can't have that penalty)

Man, when Jackson did that (and so blatantly and so very unnecessarily) and directly resulted in 3 points, I was thinking, this could be a close game and that 3 points may end up costing the game. Thankfully, virtually everyone stepped up and played solid the rest of the game, making it a moot point as far as the game outcome is concerned.

But he does need to keep his head in the game.

He's capable of doing so, as that acrobatic INT he made while flipping forward was almost mind-blowing

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Best thing is that they had two weeks and didn't **** off with it. 

It was the biggest loss margin of Brady's entire career (after a bye week)

We both had bye weeks. So we even beat them in the Bye !

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Man, when Jackson did that (and so blatantly and so very unnecessarily) and directly resulted in 3 points, I was thinking, this could be a close game and that 3 points may end up costing the game. Thankfully, virtually everyone stepped up and played solid the rest of the game, making it a moot point as far as the game outcome is concerned.

But he does need to keep his head in the game.

He's capable of doing so, as that acrobatic INT he made while flipping forward was almost mind-blowing

It was the biggest loss margin of Brady's entire career (after a bye week)

I think WJ3 is just a low IQ player. Probably one of the reasons he struggles so much in zone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Dax Milne - Yes, he fumbled. But take it easy on him. He knew he was coming into contact. He covered up the ball with two hands and an all pro linebacker punched the ball out from a seventh round rookie. Sometimes the players on the other team just make good plays.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Milne anticipated the hit. And prepared for it.

But the way that ball was punched out, was Josh-Normanesque.

Perfectly placed punch, and I'm guessing the perfect amount of force.

Maybe Milne just needs to work on some selective muscle work, to strengthen that grip ? :D

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Milne anticipated the hit. And prepared for it.

But the way that ball was punched out, was Josh-Normanesque.

Perfectly placed punch, and I'm guessing the perfect amount of force.

Maybe Milne just needs to work on some selective muscle work, to strengthen that grip ? :D

I’m no expert, but if that ball is tucked to his chest, it ain’t coming out with that punch.  Poor guy was devastated, and that’s a plus in my book.

• Like 1

There were so many good plays from both sides yesterday that it kinda negates the brain farts ones. 

I don't think I have gone back and rematched a game. Maybe once, I think. 

I re-watched the 1st half and there were two sacks where one was not even blocked and the other one where the defender went right through our guy. I bring this up since someone in TH thread said TH takes too many sacks. Later in the game there was one coverage sack. Can't think of the other two top of my head right now. But any way, coverage sacks are going to happen even to the best. 

The D was impressive and looked like they were on fire or get fired mode. 

10 minutes ago, zskins said:

Hopefully this win ignites the team they go on a 9 wins in a row streak and into the playoffs. There is always small hope. :)

We are on the other side of our brutal schedule. Carolina and Nevada are the only two winning teams, except the cowboys and anything goes in the division.