Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You really GMAP and DQ were so scared of some sort of "fan revolt" when drafting a QB at 2 because Sam still had fanboys out there that they decided to trade him for that reason? That...really doesn't sound like them.

No, I think it was a combination of that plus his poor play, with his poor play being the main reason. If he played well enough, he would still be here, it’s as simple as that. They were going to trade him, no matter who they were picking at #2.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

This one I also found a bit interesting: “You never saw him frenetic or frantic. He made good decisions. … You can see his eyes going through the progressions, going where they are supposed to go.”

To me he at they very least sometimes actually did look frantic, especially when he had time + a pocket but his first reads weren't open. He would get incredibly bouncy in his feet and you could see his head moving at almost light speed back and forth. I'm sure some would say "that just means he's super duper fast at processing" but IIRC when @Voice_of_Reasondid his game breakdown of Daniels you could see him just pass over open guys when doing this.

Now, I certainly don't think he's a bad processor, I just think it's a bit much to talk about him being elite at it given the above factors.

That actually did turn out to be interesting, because the LSU QB coach / OC talked about that specific issue in an interview during the season, it was one of those pieces that discussed the VR training. 

After working with VR for some time, starting in spring/summer 2023 and continuing into the season, which they had been using at 1.25-1.5X speed, coaches discovered Daniels was going through his progressions too quickly, moving on from guys right before they came open. So one of the things they did, besides slowing down the VR to real-time speed, and I think HC Kelly also talked about this, was they had Daniels start doing that stupid little tap-dance in the pocket as a way to help him time things better, so he'd feel it if he were going through progressions too fast. Allegedly the tap-dance started to help during the middle / second half of the season. 

So that's not a panic/frantic thing (despite what Solak, the single 'analyst' I've seen use that description, recently said about Daniels... right before I saw you use it for the first time lol), it's a coached thing. 

FWIW, Quinn also specifically discussed how impressed he was with Daniels' processing, talking about how he navigated the complex looks/schemes/changes SEC defenses threw at him.

So Daniels is apparently a really good/fast processor, which I hope serves him super well in Minnesota after we take Maye and the Vikings trade up with NE.

Edited by Dah-Dee

image.png.1847ffa806d03308a02f3016a41d1092.png

I remember this article.

I remember thinking these scouts must've been watching completely different games and us.  Especially Scout 5, who perhaps was smoking some really good stuff when he chimed in.

I maintain that some people just troll media guys throughout this season sometimes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You really GMAP and DQ were so scared of some sort of "fan revolt" when drafting a QB at 2 because Sam still had fanboys out there that they decided to trade him for that reason? That...really doesn't sound like them.

I totally understand what you’re saying. And maybe you’re right. 

but my initial thought when he was gone was - yeah that makes sense, you’re trying to build something from scratch at this point, why on earth would you want that remnant from the previous regime hanging on? 

do you really want your rookie qb hearing Howell chants after throwing an interception?

**** that. We had/have some players I like but if it was possible to dump them all and start with 0 I would have done that. 
I think they’ve come as close to doing that as you can …

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Starting to wonder if we might see a three-way trade, after we take Maye, with Minnesota getting #3, NE #4, Arizona #11, plus whatever else would be involved. Vikings get Daniels, NE gets McCarthy. Or maybe NE just trades straight up with Minnesota and takes Penix at 11.

Edited by Dah-Dee

I remember when people used to insist that it’s extremely difficult to tell what a QB is being asked to read and what progressions they are or aren’t going through. One of the hardest things to evaluate even with All-22, and a huge blind spot in many evaluations. Now we’re just expected to accept a million media guys casually saying he is the best processor in the draft as if they personally have a clue what he’s seeing from the pocket. Okay. Because his coach says he uses revolutionary VR technology. Alrighty 

Feels like we’re just taking certain narratives for granted because they’re repeated a million times. Like Penix being an injury risk but pro ready, despite having a clean bill of health and horrendous, inconsistent ball placement all season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This visit was only leaked by his agent after the visit with us, after he’d been resistant to non top-5 visits. They may be wrong, and maybe he ends up the guy, but right now Daniels and his agent are not sure he’s the guy for us 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

nfl futures:

IMG_1860.thumb.jpeg.b3badd8069d622906f47b2d840269744.jpeg

Thanks bruv you're a legend.

Wish I had put money on Maye when the odds were in my favor. Ah well.

I feel bad for the idiots betting on like Odunze lolol way to just throw money in the trash

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Where can you bet on the picks? I don't see anything on Fanduel

Could be blocked in your state. I'm in AZ and it's under the NFL tab --> NFL Draft.

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

In California almost everything is legal except sports betting. The Indian reservations and race tracks for horse racing spend hundred of millions whenever a ballot initiative comes up. I would have placed a decent amount on Maye last night if I could have. 

Have you tried an offshore book like betus.com?

Drake is +150 over there...

2274 pages of fan on fan crime regarding the position, and I’m still not excited about Maye, Daniels or any other QB in the draft.

I know I should be excited, given the stars aligning to put us in this position.  But for both players my list of concerns is equal to if not longer than the positives.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, alaroche04 said:

My gut tells me whoever gets Penix and allows him to sit for a season is getting the bes QB in the lot.  Just a hunch.

If Penix drops to Miami or Dallas he will ball out. Those teams should absolutely consider taking him.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

2274 pages of fan on fan crime regarding the position, and I’m still not excited about Maye, Daniels or any other QB in the draft.

I know I should be excited, given the stars aligning to put us in this position.  But for both players my list of concerns is equal to if not longer than the positives.

Then you'll never be excited about any QB prospect ever.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, alaroche04 said:

My gut tells me whoever gets Penix and allows him to sit for a season is getting the bes QB in the lot.  Just a hunch.

If you’ve got a WR corps who can catch far outside their frame often, sure. It could happen, I don’t dislike him. But his ball placement is ass. Completion percentage lies

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

To be fair that’s the case with nearly every single really good QB prospect. The generational guys with minimal flaws are rare, the opportunity to actually draft them, vanishingly rare. We’re in nitpick mode, understandably 

edit: I get that you just never have loved them, it’s not a matter of nitpicking for you. But there was no reason to like Allen, Herbert, even Stroud more.

Edited by Conn

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

They have a $50 dollar limit. I deposited $100 so I made two bets:

Yea, thats common for new customers.  make a few bets and that should go away.

1 minute ago, illone said:

Yea, thats common for new customers.  make a few bets and that should go away.

I think it has to do with limiting their exposure on futures bets. It’s a volatile market. I don’t think it’s about being new. 

Max I could bet via BetMGM on Redskins Super Bowl was $200 in Vegas as well. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

I think it has to do with limiting their exposure on futures bets. It’s a volatile market. I don’t think it’s about being new. 

Max I could bet via BetMGM on Redskins Super Bowl was $200 in Vegas as well. 

Dang, even in Vegas?

Yea, you are right, probably the bet type. This draft market is extremely volatile. 

Love the Super Bowl pick. Might be the best odds you'll get unless we somehow end up with Mariota playing week 1 lol.

1 minute ago, illone said:

Dang, even in Vegas?

Yea, you are right, probably the bet type. This draft market is extremely volatile. 

Love the Super Bowl pick. Might be the best odds you'll get unless we somehow end up with Mariota playing week 1 lol.

Maye is our Brady. We finally have nice things for once.