Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

I ain't upset with Brissett either. Ideally Howell takes off and becomes a great QB from day 1. Will that happen? Eh only time can tell. I just wonder how short his leash will be. Competition should never rattle a confident capable QB. Ultimately every team needs a capable backup.

• Thumb up 1

I’ve been looking around and still can’t find any posts where folks are saying Ron is brilliant or genius for bringing in Brissett. 

If anything, I give Ron the side eye for still wanting to make a deal with REDACTED, even after he had his old coach making the rounds taking a dump on him.

I don’t think anyone is under the illusion that Brissett is great, our savior, or anything remotely close to that.  He’s a vet, that is well liked and respected, and legit competition for Howell…that has at least the minimum tools to play the position.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve been looking around and still can’t find any posts where folks are saying Ron is brilliant or genius for bringing in Brissett. 

If anything, I give Ron the side eye for still wanting to make a deal with REDACTED, even after he had his old coach making the rounds taking a dump on him.

I don’t think anyone is under the illusion that Brissett is great, our savior, or anything remotely close to that.  He’s a vet, that is well liked and respected, and legit competition for Howell…that has at least the minimum tools to play the position.

I've seen plenty of post about how fans think Brissett will be on the field next season.  Some seem very excited about Brissett.  He was 4-7 with a top 10 o-line, njoku, cooper, and chubb.  That's pretty bad. 

My problem is this season should be about Howell and that's it.  If Ron doesn't trust Howell then we should have traded up for Stroud or Levis.  If Brissett starts this is just another wasted season and Ron should be fired.  

Just now, Daniel.redskins said:

I've seen plenty of post about how fans think Brissett will be on the field next season.  Some seem very excited about Brissett.  He was 4-7 with a top 10 o-line, njoku, cooper, and chubb.  That's pretty bad. 

My problem is this season should be about Howell and that's it.  If Ron doesn't trust Howell then we should have traded up for Stroud or Levis.  If Brissett starts this is just another wasted season and Ron should be fired.  

Why even worry about this at this point, though?

Brisset really isn’t a starter. He’s a fringe guy. At best. If Howell is what we think he’ll beat him out.

Let it play out.

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 3

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Only a side eye?

No stank eye?

Evil eye?

Now I gotta keep an eyeball on you for not suspecting hard enough.

dog-suspicious-suspicious-dog.gif.8615807bdf715e2ba17cbb96f779a218.gif

• Haha 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Sure, that’s what everyone wants.

But you can’t just hand the job to Howell.  You need a legit vet in there that is not just going to roll over and play dead, that has the potential to win some games if need be, as well as serve as a mentor.

Brissett checks all those boxes.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Turn out the lights the parties over. Move on.  Briss seems like a good teammate just had his best year and wants to improve more, late riser? We could use a few good problems. 

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Confused 1

I think I just posted less than a week ago about how nice it is that we're mostly all on the same page at QB and it's a nice change.

Now people are getting mad at our back up for being a good back up.

This place is so weird sometimes. Especially at QB.

I think we all wanted this

Howell as QB1

Quality BU- Brissett was first choice for a lot of us

Day 3 draft pick- Waiting on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3

I don't want a QB competition. I want Howell to be named the starter and given the starters reps and starters attention throughout minicamps, OTAs, etc.

Open competitions are dumb. If you have two QBs you have zero.

Commit to a guy. If Howell really stinks up the joint after given all the opportunities at least we'll know for sure, and its always easier to go to the veteran afterwards if we have to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think I just posted less than a week ago about how nice it is that we're mostly all on the same page at QB and it's a nice change.

This place is so weird sometimes. Especially at QB.

I think we all wanted this

Howell as QB1

Quality BU- Brissett was first choice for a lot of us

Day 3 draft pick- Waiting on that.

Think we have room to add Lamar as scout team QB?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't want a QB competition. I want Howell to be named the starter and given the starters reps and starters attention throughout minicamps, OTAs, etc.

Open competitions are dumb. If you have two QBs you have zero.

Commit to a guy. If Howell really stinks up the joint after given all the opportunities at least we'll know for sure, and its always easier to go to the veteran afterwards if we have to.

Howell is a 5th round pick in his 2nd season that  has19 passes under his belt.  

At minimum, you at least have to pretend it’s a competition.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Florio finally back tracking on the Lamar crud.  LOL

Good answer, like the guy already...

I do think it's a long shot, but I don't think signing a backup necessarily means that Washington still can't go after Lamar. 

Edited by No Nonsense

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think it's as much that the backup is Brissett as it is that the backup isn't HeWhoseNameIsForbidden. The same people who are critical of RR's ability to get decent QB talent ironically forget that he brought in and started HWNIF.

Edited by ntotoro
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

I got no idea who will be starting week 1 and that's a good thing. No reason to rush it, just let the situation develop.

There was no way on God's green earth we were gonna just hand Howell a starting job. No NFL team would. The very idea is madness.

Let them both work and as long as Howell keeps up, he's the guy. If they are even, Howell is ahead as he presents the clearer pathway to a long term solution.

If Howell struggles and Jacoby demonstrates that there is a noticeable gap between the two, then we roll w/ Jacoby, as everyone's jobs are pretty much on the line and you can't afford not to.

9 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I do think it's a long shot, but I don't think signing a backup necessarily means that Washington still can't go after Lamar. 

The only way I'd believe this team even had a shred of interest in Lamar is it the Almighty Himself came down and told me... and even then I'd have questions. 

Zod.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

We clearly don’t have a #1 QB right now. It’s an open competition IMO.

Not quite. I would say Howell will go in as the #1 and be given every opportunity to earn the job - but how he performs in OTAs, camp and preseason compared to Brissett will dictate if he keeps that spot for opening day. 

After that if Howell is the day 1 starter I would say you have ti give him some rope. You cant be yanking him after a couple of games if it starts poorly, if he earns the job you need to let it play out from that point. (which is easy for me to say because my job as HC or OC trying to prove I should be a HC is not on the line).

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

I got no idea who will be starting week 1 and that's a good thing. No reason to rush it, just let the situation develop.

There was no way on God's green earth we were gonna just hand Howell a starting job. No NFL team would. The very idea is madness.

Let them both work and as long as Howell keeps up, he's the guy. If they are even, Howell is ahead as he presents the clearer pathway to a long term solution.

If Howell struggles and Jacoby demonstrates that there is a noticeable gap between the two, then we roll w/ Jacoby, as everyone's jobs are pretty much on the line and you can't afford not to.

That could happen, but it's the same problem we've had for years. We're once again spinning our wheels at QB. 

• Like 1