Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

9 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

The same kind of stacked class 2023 was supposed to be?  We're going to win just enough games to miss out on a stacked QB class in 2023.  Doesn't seem so stacked now.  Kinda need to see how things play out.

I don't  follow college football. After 2022 I was still familiar with Caleb Williams who was never going to be available before 2024. So that suggests to me when you're  touting a prospect 2 tears out the year between was never going to be stacked

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

@wit33 reading this:

O-face GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Hopefully we learned from the pass, Think Saints are going to find this out. Why wreck the team for a 40 mil good QB. Build the team if you do not have a Super QB on the team. Stay from the Wentz, Carrs type. Keep the your players that you want to (Payne) use the draft.

10 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I'm still pissed I don't get to use my Heinicke memes now lol...

Google Pout GIF

Brissett doesn't really inspire memes. Hoping something will jump off this thread 😂

I will forever use this gif whenever Brissett makes a bad play.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

"Clear difference between the two"...where?

image.png.9cc6cdddc0cf53efe5fafa79443dc22c.png

image.png.92c460fe8cbcc6ce6152eaae2f513a3f.png

If you hate Heinicke, fine.  He's gone.  But propping up Brissett like this is some genius level move by Rivera in the case that Howell fails is delusional nonsense.  

18/30 W/L  61%comp  84.4 Rate  6.6 Y/A  3.9 Rush Y/A  You just made a case for TH he beats Briss on these important stats just pulling a few out of the charts.  7 years to Taylor 5 looks like its the other way around in my eyes. Briss has had his chances as a starter he is not , neither is TH .  As stated delusional.

Edited by skinsfan66

Can we stop with talking about the guy who isn't on the roster? This reminds me of the other QB who had a ton of people who loved him when Ron first started here.

He's gone. Wish him the best. Let's talk about our QB situation at the moment... 

For the record, referencing the previous QBs in posts is different than them being the focal point of every conversation.

Make like Frozen and let this **** go. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

These people will be known as the Brissett Brigade...

I love it.

However I'm an official member of team Howell...and should now be referred to as a "Howling Howeller"

Edited by dc1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Anyone who thinks that the new atl bu qb is a better qb than Brissett is beyond redemption on the topic.

And yes, if you can't see that just from watching them play, yet think contortionist, blinder-enhanced usage of  questionable stats with zero context added makes your argument solid, you're severely crippled in making an intelligent analysis on the matter.

Now, aside from all that, let me make this clear: heinie is off the team. He's a Falcon.

If you're making a post that includes arguments about heinies quality of play,  put those arguments in an appropriate thread in ATN.

You can argue about Brissett's game, or other relevant qb matters per Sam or drafting another one all ya want and do it without needing to fluff heinie in the process in this forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Anyone who thinks that the new atl bu qb is a better qb than Brissett is beyond redemption on the topic.

And yes, if you can't see that just from watching them play, yet think contortionist, blinder-enhanced usage of  questionable stats with zero context added makes your argument solid, you're severely crippled in making an intelligent analysis on the matter.

Now, aside from all that, let me make this clear: heinie is off the team. He's a Falcon.

If you're making a post that includes arguments about heinies quality of play,  put those arguments in an appropriate thread in ATN.

You can argue about Brissett's game, or other relevant qb matters per Sam or drafting another one all ya want and do it without needing to fluff heinie in the process in this forum.

Fluffed heiney? lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

lol

@Conn's new strat is to thumbs down all Chatgpt posts.

giphy.gif.03cded51a3750d631b933e5bd74156cf.gif

I'm with you in spirit tho. Its run its course.

Sadly it hasn't even started. I only shared it because he called our leadership 'commanders'.  Back on topic I think Howell will be hard pressed for snaps this year. Don't diss Briss he is a quality QB and pickup but I do want Howell to see action regardless of how JJB does.

Brissett's starts starting with the season Luck went down with a shoulder injury:

2017:

image.png.0290ad25735f0cc9dc2c96cf5ac2f453.png

2019 (after Luck's retirement):

image.png.f50e10e6e4b1ba7ef2f844e863be8a74.png

2021 (injury to Tua):

image.png.68ea6d64b80a8274144fe0ef91a2c48e.png

2022 (spot starter in Cleveland):

image.png.b8c78f7fb16458fdeaf6a7014ed94ce2.png

Brissett's best year was in 2019 when he had to fill in for the unexpected retired Luck.  He's okay to meh over long stretches.  He's decent enough in the occasional spot start.  And I stand by my previous contention that if he wins the competition in training camp, that's a huge red flag with regards to Howell.  Because unlike some in the media who continue to toot the "he was a 5th rounder, historically they never work out" horn, I think his fall to us was a blessing in disguise.  

Edited by DJHJR86
  • Thanks 1

@DJHJR86

A favor: give me in a few words what your overarching point is with your last post. Is it a potentially meaningful Sam concern to you IF it occurs, or that Brissett was not a good choice, or both?

Sincere question, not trying to joust.

At this point. 🙂

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Brissett's starts starting with the season Luck went down with a shoulder injury:

2017:

image.png.0290ad25735f0cc9dc2c96cf5ac2f453.png

2019 (after Luck's retirement):

image.png.f50e10e6e4b1ba7ef2f844e863be8a74.png

2021 (injury to Tua):

image.png.68ea6d64b80a8274144fe0ef91a2c48e.png

2022 (spot starter in Cleveland):

image.png.b8c78f7fb16458fdeaf6a7014ed94ce2.png

Brissett's best year was in 2019 when he had to fill in for the unexpected retired Luck.  He's okay to meh over long stretches.  He's decent enough in the occasional spot start.  And I stand by my previous contention that if he wins the competition in training camp, that's a huge red flag with regards to Howell.  Because unlike some in the media who continue to toot the "he was a 5th rounder, historically they never work out", I think his fall to us was a blessing in disguise.  

image.png

Think last year was his by far his best year. He got that incredible espn no, and passed the eye test.  The previous years may have been low level fluffed up ......No.s that could not pass the eye test.  Agree we may be in trouble or right back to the back if he beats Howell out for the starting job. 

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

A favor: give me in a few words what your overarching point is with your last post. Is it a potentially meaningful Sam concern to you IF it occurs, or that Brissett was not a good choice, or both?

If they brought in Brissett as part of soft "competition" for Howell (which, by them reaching out to Henne to see if he'll un-retire seems likely), than I am fine with Brissett being the backup who can come in occasionally if Howell gets dinged up and hold the line.  

If they brought in Brissett because they still aren't sold on Howell (and do not draft a quarterback) and have a legitimate competition that Brissett wins, it's going to cause concern for Howell's ability.  At least to me anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

If they brought in Brissett as part of soft "competition" for Howell (which, by them reaching out to Henne to see if he'll un-retire seems likely), than I am fine with Brissett being the backup who can come in occasionally if Howell gets dinged up and hold the line.  

If they brought in Brissett because they still aren't sold on Howell (and do not draft a quarterback) and have a legitimate competition that Brissett wins, it's going to cause concern for Howell's ability.  At least to me anyway.

I would have to agree with this.

Rivera said Sam will have every chance to win the starting role this year, he's challenging him to step up and take it. 

If he can't beat out a career backup in his second year that's definitely concerning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I would first suggest that even if Brissett beats out Sam initially it isn't automatically some disaster. It isn't our ideal or most hopeful scenario but it isn't necessarily a long term crippling indictment of Howell.

Numerous qbs who went on to very good to great careers found themselves on the bench for their first few years without it being because they had a top notch qb ahead of them. It is more nerve wracking for hopeful and especially starving fan bases, but not automatically a long term serious problem for the team. That's if it even happens. Of course I prefer it doesn't as every fan would I assume.

But even a solid year by either Brissett, if he delivered one, or Sam, may not be enough in isolation to jump past the iggles, even with their roster changing, or the cowboys (and I hate acknowledging that) or even an improving giants team. Though we have a good roster in many positions we also still have a lot of work to do beyond the qb.

Anyway, I'm thinking what I see per on field play re: Sam and Brissett looking like a real improvement over the last few years with another worthwhile body being added to the qb room via the draft, hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Anyway, I'm thinking what I see per on field play re: Sam and Brissett looking like a real improvement over the last few years with another worthwhile body being added to the qb room via the draft, hopefully.

The bolded is the wildcard in this scenario.  Do they trade up in round 1 to take a guy?  Someone in the 2nd or even 3rd?  I would say then you've got really strong potential in the QB room.  If they add a late round Nate Sudfeld type, I'm still feeling 'meh' with Howell being a huge question mark still.

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I would first suggest that even if Brissett beats out Sam initially it isn't automatically some disaster. It isn't our ideal or most hopeful scenario but it isn't necessarily a long term crippling indictment of Howell.

I don't think it's some finality to Howell that means he's going to be a bust and won't be worth trying to develop, but it would raise alarm bells.

Edited by DJHJR86
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

The bolded is the wildcard in this scenario.  Do they trade up in round 1 to take a guy?  Someone in the 2nd or even 3rd?  I would say then you've got really strong potential in the QB room.  If they add a late round Nate Sudfeld type, I'm still feeling 'meh' with Howell being a huge question mark still.

I’ve floated the idea of drafting a QB. Not sure right now I’d pony up a fully guaranteed 1st round contract on one, and use draft picks to have to move up as well. Would I use a day 2/3 pick on one. Probably, if it represented ultimate value. Much like the Howell pick did.

• Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

As of now, I'd be looking to not trade up, but seek another good value (hoping our scouting is effective, in round two or three) but that's all in the "hopeful" category, and I've been bereft of hope for this franchise for a long time and only got better the last couple years, except at qb.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

If they trade up in round one to take a guy that's a pretty good indication they have little faith in Sam, I don't think they will but stranger things have happened. 

If by some miracle one of the big 4 falls to 16 (again don't think it will happen) that could simply be construed as an opportunity selection they never thought they'd have and we could be in great position with Sam getting his chance and having his potential replacement if he falters.

• Like 2

I’m all for spending a mid to late round pick on a QB but I’m strongly against a move to get a QB in the first round. 

I think there’s a strong possibility we have a new coach next year (if the season goes poorly) or a new OC (if it goes really well and EB gets a HC position). Either way, I’d like the new regime or possibly OC to have say on the QB. I think there is value later on QB after the first round because once teams address QB early (or if they have a great starter) they are out of the QB draft game. Guys slip big time like Howell last year.

• Like 1