Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Or it was an anomaly, considering Tom Brady has routinely won games with jags for weapons over the course of his career.  

Yes but when he won with jags for weapons, there was decent pass protection to give him time to stand in the pocket and go through his progressions.

21 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I think Russ has seen his best days. He’s certainly not the runner he once was. 

Don’t judge his play this year due to the circumstances around him.  It’s not his fault that he got hurt and is playing with a bad finger.  Russ is still very much a Top 10 QB in this league, and borderline Top 5 when he’s healthy and has a functioning line.  I don’t even want to imagine him in the division next year with Golladay, Toney, Engram and a new HC who should be much better than the current coach.

If Wilson ends up on NYG next year, then we’d be right back to being a last place team in the NFC East unless we dramatically upgrade our QB Situation.  This coming offseason will be very pivotal for Rivera & company.  If our division foe dramatically upgrades at QB, and we’re still twiddling our thumbs with the position, we’re in for a world of hurt, and Rivera himself will be in hot water entering year 3.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I guess I think with his style of play and build, he has 2, maybe 3 more years at elite level.  I could be wrong, but that's my gut.  

No, I think we're in general agreement.  I think I just believe Wilson is nearer to the end than you do.  That's probably the biggest difference.  I also think it is going to be difficult for them to put a good team around him with their cap situation.  But who knows.  

I’m actually with you on Russel as far as concerns in how he’ll do moving forward. Admittedly, I’m a bit bias, due to not being as high on him as most. Once he got away from his legs being a primary threat his impact has declined from my far away view. Seems like he’s a boom or struggle guy, there’s not a lot of in between he provides game to game. Meaning, he’s big play dependent, but man, he throws an unbelievable deep ball. His legs used to be that middle ground, now it can be a struggle on offense at times with him at the helm. I’m jaded in my previous anti popular view on him, so I lack some objectivity. 

Metcalf with a bigger/rhythm passer wrecks the league, in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

He's complaining about the Seahawks o-line and he wants to go to New York Giants who's oline is even worse?  

How about this Rodgers to San Fran and Lance to Green Bay.   Wilson to the Saints. Jimmy G to Seattle.   Watson to a prison cell or Philly or Miami.

Wilson is still one of the best in the business in the deep ball passing department. If the Giants can fix their OL and sign Wilson, they both could be a big headache for us. 

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

I know “we can’t mortgage the future” is a battle cry for a lot of people, but we have to do something. We cannot continue to spin our wheels. We need to do what we have to do to get either Deshaun Watson or Carr. 

I’m with you. It might be too risky with Watson, but if we can get a guy like Carr that would be exactly what we need. I’m still hoping we can catch lightning in a bottle and draft a quality guy. I don’t know if our scouts are good at scouting QB’s but I’m willing to give them a shot.

• Like 1

If we lose out the math changes. 

I doubt we will. WFT has a knack for doing one thing when we need the other to happen. But if we’re picking in the 5-7 range there are going to be a ton of options on the table. Our second rounder becomes very attractive as a trade chip or to use. Our first may give us room to drop a bit and still get a QB we like.

Or we can trade for Carr with whichever we need to do so. 

QBs enter back into the conversation now in my eyes. 

41 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I know “we can’t mortgage the future” is a battle cry for a lot of people, but we have to do something. We cannot continue to spin our wheels. We need to do what we have to do to get either Deshaun Watson or Carr. 

I agree and I understand both guys would take up a good chunk of cap room but that's fine. Use the cap room on hungry bargain FAs and find the next McKissic, Thomas etc instead of spending 8 figure on a guy like Samuel

Picking top 10 would amp up their ability to get one of the top 3 QBs in this draft.  The dude I want is Corral. 

If they make the playoffs, I still think they are in range but its just the 4-6 grouping of QBs.  Normally, I'd think the difference between that grouping is night and day.  But IMO this draft is unusually funky at that spot where I don't believe the gap between those groups is as big as typically.  For example as much as i like Corral, I wouldn't throw a fit if they got Howell in the later first.

As far as trade bait goes clearly a top 10 pick is more attractive to other teams.  

9 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

Agree, we got to do something.  But I think any of us is more likely to be the QB here next year than Watson.  I don't think we'd want him and I don't think he's want us for ironically some of the same reasons. 

I think there is a small chance Carr gets traded.  If so, i could see it be us. Del Rio supposedly has a good relationship with him.

Depending on the rumor Russell Wilson has told his agent he wants to go to Dallas (before the Dak situation was resolved), Philly and the Giants.  If so his message is he wants to play against us, not for us.  Ironically he grew up a WFT fan -- maybe he's a Dan hater?

I think Aaron Rodgers is out. 

I think our only shot at a veteran QB that has some sway as to where he wants to go is Rivera's reputation for being an above board guy.  There was an article that Standig wrote months back that flat out said that point.  Rivera is our best calling card.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Depending on the rumor Russell Wilson has told his agent he wants to go to Dallas (before the Dak situation was resolved), Philly and the Giants.  If so his message is he wants to play against us, not for us.  Ironically he grew up a WFT fan -- maybe he's a Dan hater?

I think the attraction of playing in the NFCE would be attractive to any of these vets that could come available.  I mean look at how Brady dominated the AFCE for all those years because it was trash.  A lot of people view the NFCE as garbage.

Edited by HigSkin

47 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I think the attraction of playing in the NFCE would be attractive to any of these vets that could come available.  I mean look at how Brady dominated the AFCE for all those years because it was trash.  A lot of people view the NFCE as garbage.

Which is also why they wouldn't want to play in it. Part of the reason Brady dominated the AFCE was because of Brady. Another part was Belichick. Those teams struggled because guys didn't want to play Brady and Belichick every year twice a year.

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Ben Standig this morning. Among the guys who cover the team I find him the most plugged in nationally.

He speculated among the veteran options his guess is best case scenario if he becomes available would be Derek Carr. 

It makes sense. He's a quality vet. We went after Stafford last offseason but I don't think Carr would cost as much. It'd probably cost a 1st though and I'm not sure I'd give up a top 10 pick for him. If we can make a move similar to the Colts did getting Wentz though where it was like a mid round pick and then a future conditional pick(which will end up being a 1)I'd pull the trigger.

It's gone under the radar but Davis Mills has now had two solid games in a row for the Texans and has now had 4 (maybe 5) quality starts. He is arguably the second best rookie QB performer after Mac Jones and what he is doing is arguably more impressive given he doesn't have the running game Mac has and his only noteable receiver is Cooks

Edited by method man

Mills is not good, he’s just throwing the ball a ton and getting lots of garbage time. He has as many turnovers as TDs. Fields and the rest are getting a slow start but there’s nothing enviable about what Mills is doing, I don’t see a spark of future starter there. It does speak to Mills’ gumption that he’s not ****ting his pants every week, but he’s not some gem that will develop into a  good starter imo.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Mills is not good, he’s just throwing the ball a ton and getting lots of garbage time. He has as many turnovers as TDs. Fields and the rest are getting a slow start but there’s nothing enviable about what Mills is doing, he’s not flashing the way Fields has in his bright moments and we know basically nothing about Lance. It does speak to Mills’ gumption that he’s not ****ting his pants every week, but he’s not some gem that will develop into a  good starter imo.

He's definitely improving every week. His first three starts were terrible and the Texans got blown out each time. However, since then, he has 8 TDs vs 4 picks. They haven't scored many points but what talent do they have on offense outside Brandin Cooks? David Johnson is beyond washed up and their line isn't great.

The reason he went in the 3rd vs late day 3 or undrafted given his lack of experience in college is his physical tools. I wouldn't bet on him but there is something there. If Mills plays ok the rest of the way, they may not force a QB with their first or the pick(s) they get for Watson

20 minutes ago, method man said:

He's definitely improving every week. His first three starts were terrible and the Texans got blown out each time. However, since then, he has 8 TDs vs 4 picks. They haven't scored many points but what talent do they have on offense outside Brandin Cooks? David Johnson is beyond washed up and their line isn't great.

The reason he went in the 3rd vs late day 3 or undrafted given his lack of experience in college is his physical tools. I wouldn't bet on him but there is something there. If Mills plays ok the rest of the way, they may not force a QB with their first or the pick(s) they get for Watson

That would be really good news for us most likely, I hope you’re right 

Its like digging one of the back tires in, so you maneuver and do some things and get it out of the hole, only to drive directly into another one immediately.

I doubt Wilson comes here, but why would he? McLaurin and thats it. Who knows what will happen with Thomas, he's getting nicked up pretty often now and no one else is doing anything.

I just have a bad vibe about Carr; if the pieces all fall into place and he comes here, my gut says things will not be good, and he'd still have the same issues as Wilson or any other QB. 

The team, especially the offense, is just not attractive to any bigger name QBs. Got a RB with a bum foot, 1 good WR, and a suspect o-line. The only scenario I can see would be a QB chasing money, and that never works out in this team's favor. 

The upcoming draft doesn't impress much, and other teams are looking for QBs, and chances are they will be chasing their own tails in desperation to sign any QB.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see RR build the rest of the team, clean house of the would-be's and hope the 2023 draft is more promising. Maybe a stop gap QB as a starter or back-up until time comes. 

• Like 1

Washington trades up with the Jaguars for the No. 1 overall pick.

Elsewhere in the NFC East, Washington is still waiting to find its quarterback of the future. After drafting Robert Griffin and Kirk Cousins in 2012, the organization broke Griffin, alienated Cousins, failed to get anything out of 2019 first-round pick Dwayne Haskins and lost Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick to serious injuries.

We think this doesn't appear to be a great draft for quarterbacks, but all it takes is one organization to fall in love with a signal-caller. As the draft stands, the Jaguars are projected to come away with the top pick. Jacksonville could unquestionably stand to add either of the top edge rushers -- Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeaux or Michigan's Aidan Hutchinson -- but if it could get multiple first-rounders, it would go a long way toward replenishing a middling roster.

The Lions and Texans are projected to draft Nos. 2 and 3, respectively, and each would have plausible interest in a quarterback. Washington would need to move all the way up to No. 1 to get ahead of them. It wouldn't be cheap. It would send its own first-round pick, which projects to be No. 11, plus a second-rounder in 2022 and first-rounders in 2023 and 2024. The Robert Griffin trade didn't work out a decade ago, but everything else it has done hasn't worked out, either.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

I think if we are making an announcement on the team name/branding in the offseason, more than likely we would look to make a significant move at QB as well. A shiny new high profile QB as the new face of the franchise. High pick rookie or a veteran with circa top 10 status. That would be my guess.

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I would absolutely not trade multiple firsts to draft any of these prospects.  The RG3 trade was one of the costliest mistakes in league history and by God we should have permanently learned our lesson there.  And none of this year's prospects could touch RGIII.

Trading up to #1 for any of these guys is an exercise in futility that I would be down on even if I wind up liking the player himself. It’s such a monumental gamble that most of the time works out for the team trading out not in. 

I’m with you.

• Like 2