Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Like others on here, I thought the QB salaries would reverse as teams that paid top dollars struggled to build the team elsewhere.  It hasn't happened.   And listening the PFF podcast, we still have not reached a point where spending money on a QB is bad from a wins above replacement scenario.  The market on QB's is it cost about 20 million per year for each win above replacement and for non-QB's positions between 30 and 35 million.   That is probably an indicator that in the modern NFL QB's are just going to make a lot more money than any other position.  The biggest discounts are on elite QB's.  For examples, Mahomes is worth 3.5 wins above replacement in a typical year.  That would be 70 million at year at 20 million per win above replacement, but he is only making like 50 million meaning not only are QB's cheaper, elite QB's are a bargain.  That said, i don't see Kyler Murray as an elite QB, but its still probably easier to build a winner with a QB like him rather than spending 10 million on the position and trying to build the team through other positions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dang it, now I have a morbid curiosity about what "Tummy Time" can be for a kid.

I draw that for Kyler it can be working out, but what is the correlation to a child that would constitute the negative parallel? Unwanted raspberries?

That's an awesome gif LOLOLOL

Tummy Time refers to what you have for a baby before they can crawl.  You literally put them on their tummy.  They try to push up or crawl and then start ****ing because they can't do it.  And embarrass their fathers. 

. . . or so I've heard.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I was talking about now...no one was talking about Kyler coming to the Commanders now (meaning recently). At least with Wilson we had actually made a trade offer to Seattle, so I could see him coming up throughout the season. Us wanting to go after Rodgers and Watson were heavily speculated in the media (with a few anonymous source-type "reports" as well). Having a few fans think we should go after Murray is not the same. No one has talked about Kyler coming here for a long time, so discussions having to do with him and the Cardinals should be moved over to the Around the NFL QB thread imo.

Yeah I remember a few people talking about trying to get Kyler once he scrubbed his social media of the Cards, etc. I also remember thinking how dumb the idea was.  :ols:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

We could always bring Alex "watching paint dry" smith back in for some thrilling check downs.

Me personally if we're gonna suck anyway I'd rather watch something exciting than that crap, I've had enough of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, redskinss said:

We could always bring Alex "watching paint dry" smith back in for some thrilling check downs.

Me personally if we're gonna suck anyway I'd rather watch something exciting than that crap, I've had enough of it. 

I'd just rather we not suck lol...poor game awareness by a QB in yet another loss is infuriating, regardless of whether or not the QB throws bombs or checkdowns.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This was consistent with what a former teammate of Wentz on the Colts said…. he doesn’t hit the easy layups. We’ll see.

Out of curiosity what were you saying about Wentz coming here back before we traded for him?

KB "Hey, I wonder if Wentz becomes available. He's been pretty good"

*ducks and covers*

He sucks, Jaguars, I'd rather Trubisky. Stuff like that, but I liked Wentz.

Could probably find it if you knew when the beginning of the Irsay Trash Talk started.

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

KB "Hey, I wonder if Wentz becomes available. He's been pretty good"

*ducks and covers*

He sucks, Jaguars, I'd rather Trubisky. Stuff like that, but I liked Wentz.

Could probably find it if you knew when the beginning of the Irsay Trash Talk started.

Getting Wentz completely threw me for a loop...he wasn't anywhere on my radar, and I didn't remember him being talked about on here as even a possibility (that could be due to age, though lol).

For reference on the Madden ratings, Carson Wentz is rated as a 73. 26th place, 1 point less than Fields and Hurts, even with Zach Wilson, 1 better than Goff and Lance. I hope Wentz puts them in their places.

Edited by NickyJ

Besides @zCommanderand his 11 or 12 win expectation for Carson, the expectations across the board have never been lower.  It would seem most everyone has thrown dirt on his grave and that this is the end of the road for him as a starting QB.  Even Madden has this dude ranked below Tua, WInston, Mac Jones, Teddy freaking Bridgewater, etc.

It's just downright insulting how they are treating this guy.  At least it gives me some juice going into this season vs. the typical apathetic feelings I've had for the past several years.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

For reference on the Madden ratings, Carson Wentz is rated as a 73. 26th place

Pretty sure 73 was where he ended last season, so that is what I was expecting to see. If I remember correctly he may have picked up a point or two over the season as he started a 72.

Teddy has dropped a couple of points. I think he was a 78 at the start of last year. Mans in a madden rating free-fall

6 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

This was consistent with what a former teammate of Wentz on the Colts said…. he doesn’t hit the easy layups. We’ll see.

This is why drafting a WR was mandatory.

Wentz operates with an aggressive push it downfield mindset. You need a scheme and weapons to make use of that or else it's an awkward fit. Colts group of tall and slow possession guys are not the weapons for Wentz's mindset. Dotson should work well with how we need to tailor the gameplan to suit Wentz's style.

Getting Wentz completely threw me for a loop...he wasn't anywhere on my radar, and I didn't remember him being talked about on here as even a possibility (that could be due to age, though lol).

It was early and dismissed quickly.

16 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Wentz operates with an aggressive push it downfield mindset. You need a scheme and weapons to make use of that or else it's an awkward fit. Colts group of tall and slow possession guys are not the weapons for Wentz's mindset. Dotson should work well with how we need to tailor the gameplan to suit Wentz's style.

I hope the coaches can at least get him to rein in the stupid decisions a bit. There's a difference between being default aggressive, which is fine, and being straight up boneheaded. I definitely like that Wentz is aggressive in how he plays, but at the same time he will occasionally take that too far and do things that are just plain dumb. That's how I interpret the "he misses the layups" talk.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I wish I was going to camp where I can make my own judgements about it.  But judging by Bram, Keim and Paulsen and others who have watched him.

Seems like Wentz's weakness is hitting WRs sort of a in a bulls eye kind of way.  According to the overall rap, the WRs have to adjust to his throws, up, down, etc and he doesn't always hit them in stride to set up YAC.  If so I think we have the WRs that can deal with that well. 

His strength is he gets the ball out quick and has a rocket.   According to Bram, he looked good when they did the quick game on some throws -- his theory is Wentz is better when he's not thinking too much. 

• Like 2