Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/12/poll-which-team-will-add-derek-carr-in-2023

If Carson Wentz‘s comeback does not produce a Commanders playoff berth, he could well be on the move for a third straight offseason. Washington can cut bait free of charge. This franchise has searched for QB continuity ever since the Kirk Cousins franchise tag years, having entered six straight seasons with a new starter. Carr, who has missed two regular-season games due to injury in his career, would provide that.

He would also cost more than Wentz, who remains attached to a $32MM-per-year Eagles extension he inked in 2019. Wentz is tied to just $20MM and $21MM base salaries over the next two years. Carr’s deal includes future bases of $32.9MM (guaranteed in a trade), $41.9MM ($7.5MM of which would be guaranteed) and $41.2MM. The Commanders employ Jack Del Rio, who coached Carr for three seasons, as defensive coordinator.

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I firmly believe that our long tern QB isn't on the roster now nor will he be on the roster in 23. So, we will see what happens.

If we are to be successful, we need to move on from dinosaur Ron.

I don't think Ron is a dinosaur. He is aware of where the game is going. Unfortunately, he hasn't hired the right people to help him on that front

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

this is analysis I hate because I honestly just think it’s ****ty. 

any individual players success depends on the people around them, coaches and players. It depends on the schedule they play. It depends on whether the organization supports their growing or doesn’t. 

I think to good young men have had their careers ruined by being drafted into a bad spot. I think some mediocre people have been allowed to turn into good players because they were drafted into a good spot. 

also one season is a terrible sample size. Basic counter - it’s also considered a down year for offenses so…

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tshile said:

Why?

i thought anyone released outside of free agency/contract expiring, had to clear waivers and if you claim them you claim the contract as well?

This only applies to players below a certain threshold of years in the league. It may be six years, I don’t remember off the top of my head. But past a certain point, a veteran player doesn’t go through waivers. 

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Why?

i thought anyone released outside of free agency/contract expiring, had to clear waivers and if you claim them you claim the contract as well?

no, if you have over 4 years in the league you can  just be released

I was with Heineke the whole ride and still think the hate is way over the top. Those talking about him not belonging on the roster next year as if he didn’t at least somewhat revive our season? Pshhh.

But I’m oddly really stoked about Wentz. I think it’s because of how he looked when he came in last week, it was almost like watching a different guy. Maybe sitting was the best thing for him, and he soaked up the offense and protections and as a result played faster. Or maybe it was just a quick flash in the pan and he starts overthinking things as the starter heading in. 

My head tells me we crash and burn and head into another miserable off season talking about Dan Snyder and how awful of a franchise we are. 

My heart tells me Wentz has a career resurgence and takes us on a magical run with at least one playoff win.

Wentz is 1000% the superior physical talent. If the offense is more familiar to him and he’s even close to as decisive as he was coming off the bench Saturday against 49ers, I think my heart will have a chance to finally win out.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MrJL said:

Carr doesn't need to be waived, he can just be released

yeah well, I wasn't one of those people.  I'm not at all interested in Wentz, and anything short of the NFC championship game isn't worth 26 million next year

Would releasing Carr mean the Raiders would have his guaranteed money added to their cap as dead money? If so why would you release him? If not, count me on the list of Please no Carr , Washington has made mistakes with all these end of the careers QB's over several years and the results are in.  They all got paid and the team got nothing.  The money could be used elsewhere like OL, LB, players that need to be paid. No more last stop to prove QB's. Our 5mil backup QB who should stay on the team has outperformed our 28 mil ringer that also cost draft picks. Trade nothing and draft or take the best low budget QB you can get, send Wentz packing if he cannot win a playoff game.  If he does give him another year to prove. 

12 hours ago, HigSkin said:

And they are not always the top prospect in the draft that make it, take 2 like Shanahan did if you have too. We did get Kirk on a rookie contract for a couple years, when the straight line runner that I did not want because of that got hurt.  I also wanted Kirk to stay because of his rookie contract when some wanted him cut because of Robert having him looking over his shoulder. Also was ready for Kirk to leave when he set up his money grab. GB used to draft a QB every year we need to start and hope to get lucky. 

54 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Carr is just like the guy we ran out of town. He has his moments but fails in the biggest moments.  I'll leave it at that.  

I wake up this morning and on the draft thread, I got a dude trashing Haener.  And now a post about Carr being unclutch on this thread.  It's forced me to do more work than i'd want pre morning coffee 😧

Almost feels like your post was set up to give me another excuse to talk about Carr's clutch gene which we've done plenty on this thread already.  And if that's the method to the madness, thanks.  I suspect its not. 😀

This year as far as Carr ir would be on point. This is just a bad year for Carr, his worst since being a rookie.

In his career, this would be VERY wildly off.  Carr is certainly not known for being unclutch. His reputation ironically has been riding on the opposite, his clutch play.   He has other weaknesses and Kirk who you reference here is a better passer.  But Derek has been mostly great in clutch situations in games sans this season.

What he does have in common with Kirk is he's hated for being good and not great.  I put them in the same soup with Stafford who was hated by some in the Lions fanbase for the same reason.  Stafford though was clutch in Detriot.  Carr likewise has been even more clutch sans this season.  Kirk is hit and miss in clutch situations with too many misses but is on fire this season on that front.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

So I didn't know that this happened.  Jake Fromm was quite the prospect coming out of college?  What happened to him? 

What an under the radar signing that got little to no buzz.  I listen to sports radio all the time and I don't think I ever heard this come up in mid-October.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wake up this morning and on the draft thread, I got a dude trashing Haener.  And now a post about Carr being unclutch on this thread.  It's force me to do more work than i'd want pre morning coffee 😧

Almost feels like your post was set up to give me another excuse to talk about Carr's clutch gene.  And if that's the method to the madness, thanks.  I suspect its not. 😀

This year as far as Carr ir would be on point. This is just a bad year for Carr, his worstt since being a rookie.

In his career, this would be VERY wildly off.  Carr is certainly not known for being unclutch. His reputation ironically has been riding on the opposite, his clutch play.   Her has other weaknesses and Kirk who you reference here is a better passer.  But Derek has been mostly great in clutch situations in games sans this season.

Got You Gotcha GIF by King of Boys

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

So I didn't know that this happened.  Jake Fromm was quite the prospect coming out of college?  What happened to him? 

What an under the radar signing that got little to no buzz.  I listen to sports radio all the time and I don't think I ever heard this come up in mid-October.  

If I recall was in Buffalo, Giants got him and he played if I recall in 2 games last year, one of which I watched where he was beyond horrible. 

Back in Georgia he had plenty of hype early on his his career but faded at the end. Drafted in the 5th.  Now he's on the practice squad.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wake up this morning and on the draft thread, I got a dude trashing Haener.  And now a post about Carr being unclutch on this thread.  It's forced me to do more work than i'd want pre morning coffee 😧

Almost feels like your post was set up to give me another excuse to talk about Carr's clutch gene which we've done plenty on this thread already.  And if that's the method to the madness, thanks.  I suspect its not. 😀

This year as far as Carr ir would be on point. This is just a bad year for Carr, his worst since being a rookie.

In his career, this would be VERY wildly off.  Carr is certainly not known for being unclutch. His reputation ironically has been riding on the opposite, his clutch play.   He has other weaknesses and Kirk who you reference here is a better passer.  But Derek has been mostly great in clutch situations in games sans this season.

What he does have in common with Kirk is he's hated for being good and not great.  I put them in the same soup with Stafford who was hated by some in the Lions fanbase for the same reason.  Stafford though was clutch in Detriot.  Carr likewise has been even more clutch sans this season.  Kirk is hit and miss in clutch situations with too many misses but is on fire this season on that front.

I won't pretend that I followed Carr's career all that closely. But I clearly remembered him coming up small in big moments.  I mean if he was this good why would he be available?  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Carr is just like the guy we ran out of town. He has his moments but fails in the biggest moments.  I'll leave it at that.  

I know a few Raiders fans and they can't wait to get him out of town.  Seems to be following the Cousins situation for sure.  I don't follow him, just know their fans have been frustrated with him over the years.

Edited by HigSkin

14 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I won't pretend that I followed Carr's career all that closely. But I clearly remembered him coming up small in big moments.  I mean if he was this good why would he be available?  

Same reason why Stafford was available, Stafford also clutch, but a good QB, not great.  Carr isn't good enough to carry a roster like a top 10 QB.

And when his defense is piss poor every year of his career, and through most of his career he had a bad O line -- he's not Aaron Rodgers who can make lemons out of lemonade. 

But the bigger plot line is he got a big time major contract that pays him as if he's an elite Qb, with an out after this season -- and he's coming off of his worst season with a coach who is being questioned quite a lot.

Is he a top 10 QB?  Nope.    But he's a solid clutch QB -- 4th quarter comebacks, overtime, etc.  But being clutch is cool but it doesn't make you a great QB in itself -- we've had a minor example of that here with Heinicke albiet I think the Heinicke clutch rap is a bit overrated. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.05.18 AM.png

16 minutes ago, zCommander said:

TH beat Carr last year and that is all you need to know. Now back to my morning coffee.

Yep the logic is super solid.  Taylor beat Rodgers, too

Bottom line is how about a dude who also beat Rodgers and Josh Allen?

And Zach gets so little love here? 😀

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

O oh... looks like  Darrell Green Fan has broken @Skinsinparadise this morning. That is way too much Carr with my coffee. :ols:

Hitting a QB's strength as their weakness did got my attention, I admit. 😀

It would be like how some here would react to a post about Taylor's weakness is the dude lacks moxie.  I think we'd get an encyolpedia worth of posts and rage from some. 😀

• Haha 4