Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

53 minutes ago, illone said:

This can be filed in the “no ****, sherlock” section. 

Move along, nothing to see here, but I'm posting the SI article for convenience (pay particular attention to the underlined bolded portion)...

Trade Calls on No. 2 Overall Pick, Per Report

Washington is reportedly leaving no stone unturned.

LIAM MCKEONE, SPECIAL TO SI.COMMAR 23, 2024

The Washington Commanders own the No. 2 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft and have a few different paths in front of them. The one most pundits expect Washington to take is straightforward -- selecting one of the top quarterback prospects after the Chicago Bears take Caleb Williams first overall.

It's a simple equation for the Commanders. They need a long-term answer at quarterback after trading away Sam Howell, who started all 17 games last season. This draft is widely believed to contain at least three prospects with star potential in Williams, Drake Maye, and Jayden Daniels -- potentially a fourth, if you buy into the J.J. McCarthy hype. The Commanders are in a great spot to find a true franchise signal caller, something they've been lacking for decades. That would start their first season under new ownership with a fresh face of the organization to build around.

But nothing is set in stone when it comes to the NFL Draft until Roger Goodell is at the podium. The Commanders must be diligent and consider all their options. According to ESPN, they are doing just that. On Saturday, NFL insider Jeremy Fowler said on SportsCenter Washington is fielding calls about a potential trade involving the second overall selection:

"They have been unpredictable, and I've talked to a team source who said they are still open with a thorough process. They have not made a firm determination on which direction they're going. Everybody around the league expects Chicago at 1 to take Caleb Williams of course. So, Washington's going to go into next week with a contingent going to the Pro Days of both Jayden Daniels at LSU, Drake Maye at UNC. They're going to shake that out, see what they like. Kliff Kingsbury the OC will be there with head coach Dan Quinn, and they'll have the cavalry. So, they're going to after that sort through the entire process. I know they are getting calls, inquiries about the No. 2 pick from teams potentially moving up but largely despite all of those theatrics the feeling around the league is they'll take one of those two guys that you rarely get a chance to take at No. 2 a quarterback like they have now."

As pointed out by Fowler, it is a rare thing to have a shot at drafting a potential franchise quarterback. Yet even acknowledging that, the Commanders have to consider trading back because their roster is weak across the board. They need fresh blood at quarterback more than anything, but they also need to rebuild their secondary and offensive line as quickly as possible. Trading the second overall pick would bring back a haul of other draft picks to restock the talent on the roster.

On the other hand, Washington has been adrift for many seasons without a direction. Selecting a quarterback would give the fan base a much-needed injection of optimism and enthusiasm. The franchise may never get another shot at elite talents like Daniels or Maye. Trading the pick is a gigantic risk and could haunt the franchise for years to come. It may not bring the big return they want, either, considering the New England Patriots (No. 3 overall) and Arizona Cardinals (No. 4 overall) have both been involved in trade-down rumors.

Much to consider for the Commanders and the new faces in charge. It does sound like they are considering every option available to them, and fans can't ask for much more than that at this stage.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4
  • Thumb down 1

40 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Move along, nothing to see here, but I'm posting the SI article for convenience (pay particular attention to the underlined bolded portion)...

Trade Calls on No. 2 Overall Pick, Per Report

Washington is reportedly leaving no stone unturned.

LIAM MCKEONE, SPECIAL TO SI.COMMAR 23, 2024

The Washington Commanders own the No. 2 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft and have a few different paths in front of them. The one most pundits expect Washington to take is straightforward -- selecting one of the top quarterback prospects after the Chicago Bears take Caleb Williams first overall.

It's a simple equation for the Commanders. They need a long-term answer at quarterback after trading away Sam Howell, who started all 17 games last season. This draft is widely believed to contain at least three prospects with star potential in Williams, Drake Maye, and Jayden Daniels -- potentially a fourth, if you buy into the J.J. McCarthy hype. The Commanders are in a great spot to find a true franchise signal caller, something they've been lacking for decades. That would start their first season under new ownership with a fresh face of the organization to build around.

But nothing is set in stone when it comes to the NFL Draft until Roger Goodell is at the podium. The Commanders must be diligent and consider all their options. According to ESPN, they are doing just that. On Saturday, NFL insider Jeremy Fowler said on SportsCenter Washington is fielding calls about a potential trade involving the second overall selection:

"They have been unpredictable, and I've talked to a team source who said they are still open with a thorough process. They have not made a firm determination on which direction they're going. Everybody around the league expects Chicago at 1 to take Caleb Williams of course. So, Washington's going to go into next week with a contingent going to the Pro Days of both Jayden Daniels at LSU, Drake Maye at UNC. They're going to shake that out, see what they like. Kliff Kingsbury the OC will be there with head coach Dan Quinn, and they'll have the cavalry. So, they're going to after that sort through the entire process. I know they are getting calls, inquiries about the No. 2 pick from teams potentially moving up but largely despite all of those theatrics the feeling around the league is they'll take one of those two guys that you rarely get a chance to take at No. 2 a quarterback like they have now."

As pointed out by Fowler, it is a rare thing to have a shot at drafting a potential franchise quarterback. Yet even acknowledging that, the Commanders have to consider trading back because their roster is weak across the board. They need fresh blood at quarterback more than anything, but they also need to rebuild their secondary and offensive line as quickly as possible. Trading the second overall pick would bring back a haul of other draft picks to restock the talent on the roster.

On the other hand, Washington has been adrift for many seasons without a direction. Selecting a quarterback would give the fan base a much-needed injection of optimism and enthusiasm. The franchise may never get another shot at elite talents like Daniels or Maye. Trading the pick is a gigantic risk and could haunt the franchise for years to come. It may not bring the big return they want, either, considering the New England Patriots (No. 3 overall) and Arizona Cardinals (No. 4 overall) have both been involved in trade-down rumors.

Much to consider for the Commanders and the new faces in charge. It does sound like they are considering every option available to them, and fans can't ask for much more than that at this stage.

Yep.  Word choice is powerful.  A whole bunch of filler for the reader to read (i.e., blah, blah, blah) with the truth that didn't even need ink or computer time, or electricity wasted on saying what they and we already know in the bolded text you pointed out.  

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

Mark Schlereth on his podcast as mentioned the same thing… nobody in their right mind would have imagined or thought  Mahomes was going to be what he is today… JJ isnt pretty, he isn’t shiny, he isn’t fast, he does nothing to garner a 15second TikTok but what JJ does do is everything right and good and he’s been nothing short of successful… all the hype is on the 3 big guys and after that nothing from the press… but I freaking bet there are a lot of teams wanting JJ McCarthy over both Maye and Daniels…if JJ goes to the right team this season he’s going to surprise a lot of ppl (specially ppl on this board imho)

Mahomes and McCarthy are mostly polar opposites as prospects. This post makes no sense.

Mahomes was the only valid player on that Texas Tech squad. The team's entire ability to even compete with anyone rode on his arm. Their defense might as well not even have existed. He was widely acknowledged to have ludicrous talent but had some major concerns about his footwork/mechanics, how he'd adapt to an NFL style system, and whether he just did too much improvising and hero ball.

McCarthy, by contrast, was a pure game manager who was on an absolutely stacked team with a beastly OL, beastly running game, and beastly defense, and was never asked to do much, other than help move the chains sometimes and not make many mistakes. He has moderate physical talents, very clean footwork and mechanics, played in a "pro style" offense, and played almost entirely within the system.

This comparison is silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As it pertains to "running QB's" coming out of college, (and I put that in quotation marks purposely because I don't believe in the modern era of the NFL that you necessarily have to choose between skill sets when drafting if it is the *right* QB you are selecting but I also still feel that some QBs are picked specifically because of the dual threat factor.)  I tend to look & value more the traits like athleticism, escapability, able to make throws when flushed out of the pocket, pocket presence, avoiding sacks using mobility to buy the extra second or two etc etc....way over the raw ability to run with the football for a lot of yards.  I feel the former are attributes that make a QB better over a longer period of time and the later is something that I would consider a bonus feature but also one that could tend to bring the long term ceiling of a QB down if they also can't help themselves from avoiding the extra contact.   I know in the NFL injuries happen for every reason imaginable, but a QB with all the former attributes I listed could see them all disappear if there tends to be an over reliance on bailing on plays to run the ball (designed or not).  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, redskinss said:

I don't know if it's my own biases at play here but why does it feel like the whole world wants us to pass on Maye so that others can get him.

The giants and Vikings are two teams reported to have great interest in him.

It's the ****ing Giants running a psyop.

It's always been the Giants running a psyop.

Dudes work 10 minutes from every HQ of every major sports media outlet in America so they all just whisper in their ears in line at the coffee shops in the morning.

• Like 6

Uncle Cam offers some unsolicited advice and a veiled warning to his young step cousin, Caleb Williams...

Caleb Williams gets warning from former first-overall pick

Tayyib Abu23. March 20241 min read

Caleb Williams gets warning from former first-overall pickDAZN
Will Caleb Williams be the first-overall pick

Former first-overall pick Cam Newton has given his advice to projected 2024 first-overall pick Caleb Williams. 

In 2011, the Carolina Panthers selected Newton with the first pick. Newton would win Offensive Rookie of The Year and the 2015 MVP Award and lead the Panthers to a Super Bowl appearance during his NFL career. 

Newton is well-versed in the pressures of being the first-overall pick. He gave Williams a message on the 4th & 1 podcast ahead of his rookie season. 

"Rookie quarterbacks coming into the league are now thrust into a CEO-type role," Newton said. 

"You must manage the owner, off-field, general manager, head coach, position coach and teammates. For Caleb Williams, that is a tall task. Caleb must understand what he's getting himself into."

Newton also addressed the idea of Williams rejecting the Chicago Bears, "It's not like Caleb's name is Caleb Manning.

It was easier for Eli Manning to reject teams because he had the last name. Caleb can't do that. Times have changed. If Caleb says he doesn't want to join a particular team, he won't get far."

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

It would make sense that Daniels would shoot up more during the last few months. This is when coaches start to get involved and Daniels is the type of guy that coaches would like more than scouts/FO types. He's an athletic run first QB that is a pain in the butt to gameplan against, so its reasonable for coaches to see that and say "I WANT THAT", not worrying about things like long term health or potential because typically coaches are more short sighted.

Even Dan Quinn described Daniels as "game changer". You don't really see game changer on the surface with Maye, but scouts/personnel people will look at his tools, dig into the context(bad talent around him)and say "in 2-3 years this kid could be an All Pro".

Yep this is the #1 thing that ties successful organizations together. Every team will miss from time to time. As great as the Ravens are for example, even they drafted Kyle Boller. Steelers whiffed bad on Kenny Pickett. Eagles took Jaelen Raegor round 1. List goes on and on.

Regarding the whether Mariota or the rookie should start stuff, I'm basing it off the assumption that Mariota is Mariota. In other words, he plays at the same level he's been at for most of his career. Obviously if he comes into camp and is just lighting it up and has appeared to hit a late career resurgence(think Geno Smith), and the rook looks like a rook, then you play Mariota. But I'm assuming it'll be close-ish, in which case you play the rookie and let him get his feet wet.

Maye is used to playing behind crappy protection and receivers who don't get open. He can already call pre snap protections(although I'm guessing Biadasz will take that duty at least early on). He needs live reps to get a feel for the speed of the defense, what kinda throws he can get away with, etc. And Daniels's super athleticism/mobility and already advanced age means you absolutely cannot waste his window at all, he needs to start day 1 to take advantage of his gifts. Can easily run a 2012 RG3 offense with him and light up the scoreboard.

"It would make sense that Daniels would shoot up more during the last few months."

Oh for  all the saints in heaven! Say it ain't so!

You mean to say that Daniels has been so nervous the last few months that he's busy "shooting up more" than he usually does!!!

OMG!!!

This is what he left in his hotel room after the combine was over...

image.png.020260d95ca963573fd8c4af8289e089.png

If Jayden can't handle the pressure now what's the poor kid gonna do the week before we play in Dallas? 

No wonder he can't gain any weight and he didn't want anybody checking him out to closely at the combine.

He was too busy trying to find a vein that still worked to be bothered working out.

That's it for me I'm officially out on "Straight Shooter" Daniels.

From now on it's Drake Maye or bust! 🤩

• Haha 1

I’m going to go the opposite direction and say that after being one of his biggest detractors, I might now be willing to give Jayden Daniels another look as long as those syringes were previously filled with testosterone enthanate, testosterone cypionate, primabolon, deca-durabolin, and depotest.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’m going to go the opposite direction and say that after being one of his biggest detractors, I might now be willing to give Jayden Daniels another look as long as those syringes were previously filled with testosterone enthanate, testosterone cypionate, primabolon, deca-durabolin, and depotest.

Or pure lard.

Pack them pounds on.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

It's the ****ing Giants running a psyop.

It's always been the Giants running a psyop.

Dudes work 10 minutes from every HQ of every major sports media outlet in America so they all just whisper in their ears in line at the coffee shops in the morning.

The question here, though, is the same one I'd ask when seeing tweets about how Daniels is likely going #2: who exactly is he talking to that's telling him this stuff?

I think all of the media boosting of Daniels is coming from New England.  They want Maye.  Everyone wants Maye.  They need us to be dumb and pick Daniels instead.

Drake Maye at #2 in this class has been settled law for two years.  This is a no brainer choice for us, and has been since the moment we got the #2 pick.  I'm not part of the crowd that would be OK with Daniels or Maye. IMO reaching for Daniels over an easy to see coming blue chipper in Maye would be a horrible mistake that would pretty much undermine the good work Peters has done building the team this off-season, and cast doubt on his competence.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 3

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think all of the media boosting of Daniels is coming from New England.  They want Maye.  Everyone wants Maye.  They need us to be dumb and pick Daniels instead.

Drake Maye at #2 in this class has been settled law for two years.  This is a no brainer choice for us, and has been since the moment we got the #2 pick.  I'm not part of the crowd that would be OK with Daniels or Maye. IMO reaching for Daniels over an easy to see coming blue chipper in Maye would be a horrible mistake that would pretty much undermine the good work Peters has done building the team this off-season, and cast doubt on his competence.

Especially after the Trey Lance debacle.  This is his chance to get it right and put all of that behind him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Agree. But I don’t think it’s just NE. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Giants, Vikings, etc. are in on it too based on the slight hope NE will value a haul over a QB on a terrible roster and they can trade up once Maye slips to #3.

Deciding to draft Daniels over Maye would be a bold move on Peters’ part from a job security perspective. 

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

The question here, though, is the same one I'd ask when seeing tweets about how Daniels is likely going #2: who exactly is he talking to that's telling him this stuff?

Well I included Sears here mostly tongue in cheek bc they are obviously unproven, but hey they support my priors and therefore is gud.

But if they were legit I'm guessing anyone but our own FO.  Scouts and executives from other places but obvs not the Giants since he's speculating about them.

50 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Also very possible.

NE had Maye mocked to them at 2 for months before we swooped in and snagged 2 out from under them.  They may have taken exception to that.

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Especially after the Trey Lance debacle.  This is his chance to get it right and put all of that behind him.

I believe it was “all put behind him” with the selection of Mr. Irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You're on to something baby!

Silly me for thinking the kid was a junkie just because he shoots up so damn much. 

Now, thanks to you, I realize it's a sign of discipline and pure dedication to his craft.

He couldn't do the combine stuff because he needs time to have "it" clear out of his system so he'll pass the blood test.

Now, I'm back on the JD bandwagon full force!

He's gonna come in like a fire breathing dragon Wednesday and kill his pro day!

Please forgive me for doubting you Mr Jayden, I am a feeble old man prone to expecting the worst in human behavior.

I will not doubt you again.

You are the chosen one.

I humbly ask for your mercy. 🙏 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Mahomes was the only valid player on that Texas Tech squad. The team's entire ability to even compete with anyone rode on his arm. Their defense might as well not even have existed. He was widely acknowledged to have ludicrous talent but had some major concerns about his footwork/mechanics

Hmmm. I couldnt have written a better description of Drake Maye last year than this. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

OT rant: brings back memories from a decade ago. Yours truly used to be a pretty good sized dude around 250lbs at the time. None of these could hold a candle to Trenbolone though. Nothing comes close to the strength that brings out. It's legit Hulk juice. 

Really liked this breakdown of maye.

Shows the good and bad and does a good job of explaining why it's so hard to scout quarterbacks and why maye is even more difficult to scout than most.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@redskinss,

^That is a very interesting video.

Even though it evaluates Drake Maye it's not about which qb in this draft should be drafted before another-- I think by now we're all somewhat sick and tired of those takes.

What it is about,  and what it does explain very well,  is the extreme difficulty in evaluating and projecting, in any draft, whether or not a qb will be succesful in the NFL.

I think finding a true franchise qb is part science, part art, and yes, part luck too.

• Like 4