Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Hmmm. I couldnt have written a better description of Drake Maye last year than this. 

1,500-yard All-American RB and Doak Walker Award finalist Omarion Hampton is waiting out back to have a word with you.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Harbaugh continues to plug JJ McCarthy. I’m guessing Harbaugh is getting bombarded at the Owners Meeting. 

He's doing this for two reasons:

1. He's simply looking out for his boy. Kid did help him win a national title after all.

2. Someone drafting McCarthy top 4 means he's guaranteed either Harrison jr or Nabers and the Chargers have a MASSIVE need for a WR. Or if someone loves McCarthy enough to trade up with him, he can potentially get a haul.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

Mahomes and McCarthy are mostly polar opposites as prospects. This post makes no sense.

Mahomes was the only valid player on that Texas Tech squad. The team's entire ability to even compete with anyone rode on his arm. Their defense might as well not even have existed. He was widely acknowledged to have ludicrous talent but had some major concerns about his footwork/mechanics, how he'd adapt to an NFL style system, and whether he just did too much improvising and hero ball.

McCarthy, by contrast, was a pure game manager who was on an absolutely stacked team with a beastly OL, beastly running game, and beastly defense, and was never asked to do much, other than help move the chains sometimes and not make many mistakes. He has moderate physical talents, very clean footwork and mechanics, played in a "pro style" offense, and played almost entirely within the system.

This comparison is silly.

My bad, I wasn’t trying to compare them as far as being a QB as much as I was trying to compare them not being highly sought after and spoken of highly from the Powers that Be, like ESPN, NFL Network and such…. I get to typing most of the time and don’t get in depth as to what I really am trying to say… 😜

Edited by Command The 414

44 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Harbaugh continues to plug JJ McCarthy. I’m guessing Harbaugh is getting bombarded at the Owners Meeting. 

My guess is he's tryna get someone to trade to 4 and take McCarthy.

He probably really likes one of the receivers and doesn't want ARI to take them.  A couple weeks ago I would have said it was MHJr but now I'm not so sure it's not Nabers but either way he wants to be in that driver's seat it seems.

• Thanks 3

Here's some meat for anybody looking to kill some time.

This is a website that gathers the major mock drafts and displays the most common selections for each team.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-drafts/2024/consensus-mock-draft-one-week-2024

Whats cool is that they also have individual Player pages, and you can scroll thru a bunch of mock drafts at a glance to see where they went. They also provide links to each one, so you can check out the player blurbs most sites put with their selections. They also have graphs that display player choice popularity over time and how it changed.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2024/jayden-daniels/page/1

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2024/drake-maye/page/1

** unrelated but Dallas' need for a RB is so great they are mocked to take Johnathan Brooks in 55% of drafts. Crazy for a 2nd rounder

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's doing this for two reasons:

1. He's simply looking out for his boy. Kid did help him win a national title after all.

2. Someone drafting McCarthy top 4 means he's guaranteed either Harrison jr or Nabers and the Chargers have a MASSIVE need for a WR. Or if someone loves McCarthy enough to trade up with him, he can potentially get a haul.

4 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

My guess is he's tryna get someone to trade to 4 and take McCarthy.

He probably really likes one of the receivers and doesn't want ARI to take them.  A couple weeks ago I would have said it was MHJr but now I'm not so sure it's not Nabers but either way he wants to be in that driver's seat it seems.

I think he’s doing it because he believes JJ McCarthy is the best long term QB prospect available in this draft. 

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

He obviously doesn’t read this thread :rofl89:

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

37 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

1,500-yard All-American RB and Doak Walker Award finalist Ontario Hampton is waiting out back to have a word with you.

Agree. The claim that Drake Maye was the UNC offense's only player in 2023 is not true, more hyperbole.Omarion is really good and delivered tough yards in a lot of games. But that said, it was very clear that their O line was passable at run blocking but dreadful at pass blocking. Then there were a couple games (NC State for one) where the opponent completely shut down Hampton and the running game, and Maye had to do everything, leading the team in rushing.

It's much more accurate to say that UNC was just a very erratic team that organizationally seemed to be in complete disarray (especially) down the stretch in 2023.

• Like 3

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-coach-jim-harbaugh-calls-former-michigan-star-j-j-mccarthy-best-qb-in-this-draft/

ORLANDO, Florida -- A swarm of reporters were gathered around Jim Harbaugh, back in the NFLafter a decade away from his last coaching stint in which he won everything expect the Super Bowl. Harbaugh was able to accomplish winning the national championship at Michigan before returning to the NFL, with future first-round pick J.J. McCarthy leading the Wolverines to a perfect season. 

Harbaugh isn't in line to draft a quarterback with Justin Herbert around, yet the national champion head coach wouldn't stop raving about his former quarterback. Calling it a ringing endorsement would be an understatement. 

"He's the best quarterback in this draft," Harbaugh said at the NFL Annual Meeting on Monday. "He plays quarterback the best of all the quarterbacks. He's a winner."

The endorsement of McCarthy didn't stop there either. Harbaugh started discussing McCarthy's pro day at the University of Michigan last week. McCarthy's stock has been rising throughout the draft process, and Harbaugh is trying to make it soar even higher. 

"That was the best workout I've ever seen a quarterback during a pro day," Harbaugh said. "The best throwing day I've ever seen. To hear coaches and GM's come to me, 'Great job with JJ.' Like I predicted. It was absolutely no surprise whatsoever."

53 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

1,500-yard All-American RB and Doak Walker Award finalist Ontario Hampton is waiting out back to have a word with you.

I was always so focused on Maye when I watched tape on UNC that I never really looked up that guys stats. This made me google his numbies.

Dude was 5th in college football in Rushing yards. Daym.

Always saw him plugging away but since handoffs don't have anything to do with why I was watching I never really actualized his impact.

Having a RB that productive and ripping off 5.9 YPC on top of that is nice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Harbaugh also called McCarthy the best Michigan QB ever. It's hyperbole to get someone to take him top 4.

Michigan QBs should not be selected before 199 if they want success. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Harbaugh also called McCarthy the best Michigan QB ever. It's hyperbole to get someone to take him top 4.

Not really. Teams won’t be influenced to that degree.

And he never said McCarthy was the best Michigan QB to ever play the pro game. Just that he was the best QB that played at Michigan. Two different things.

• Like 1

Finlay and Mitchell with some comments just now. Finlay at the owners meetings

Finlay said he heard from a scout that the most important thing for Jayden's proday is the weigh in and he needs to be 210 plus

Mitchell opines that weight concerns is purely a function of a team (s) wanting Daniels to drop.  IMO lol on that comment, teams are either concerned about his weight or not concerned why would a team give a crap if they aren't concerned because another team is?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I read that ESPN article from Graziano and Jordan Reid.  Can't post it via my device where am at,

In short Reid has Maye as his QB 2, Daniels 3.

Graziano suggests that he believes Washington takes Maye (implying its a surprise to those who expect them to take Daniels)

And then the Vikings trade 3 first rounders to trade up to 3

Feels like at the owners meeting there is some buzz that NE is open for business

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And then the Vikings trade 3 first rounders to trade up to 3

They think the Vikings are going to trade 3 first round picks to move up and get daniels at 3?

That's he first I've seen that level of interest in daniels if so.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

Mark Schlereth on his podcast as mentioned the same thing… nobody in their right mind would have imagined or thought  Mahomes was going to be what he is today… JJ isnt pretty, he isn’t shiny, he isn’t fast, he does nothing to garner a 15second TikTok but what JJ does do is everything right and good and he’s been nothing short of successful… all the hype is on the 3 big guys and after that nothing from the press… but I freaking bet there are a lot of teams wanting JJ McCarthy over both Maye and Daniels…if JJ goes to the right team this season he’s going to surprise a lot of ppl (specially ppl on this board imho)

I did. Well maybe not THIS because I am not delusional. But I was in utter love with Mahomes at Texas Tech in a way that I didn't fall for other Big XII QBs.

Spencer Hall was all-in on him early too.

I think we are starting to do some weird revisionism on Mahomes. He wasn't Tom Brady. He was a top ten pick. He was completely magical in college. He was under-rated coming into college, because he was honestly seen as a better baseball prospect than a football prospect at that time. I think the baseball/football thing hurt his standing in both.

McCarthy is obviously "good" and maybe he will turn out to be great. He just did everything in such near laboratory conditions. He was sacked 19 times in 15 games. He threw 8 passes against Penn State. I watched a few Michigan games and not once did I ever think "Boy, this McCarthy kid is something." But maybe that will work to his advantage in the NFL.

Maybe he's the new Brady. Or maybe he's the new Mac Jones.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay and Mitchell with some comments just now. Finlay at the owners meetings

Finlay said he heard from a scout that the most important thing for Jayden's proday is the weigh in and he needs to be 210 plus

Mitchell opines that weight concerns is purely a function of a team (s) wanting Daniels to drop.  IMO lol on that comment, teams are either concerned about his weight or not concerned why would a team give a crap if they aren't concerned because another team is?

I think you are correct regarding the weight concerns. That’s going to be pivotal this week IMO. 

As for the Vikings, 11,23 and a 2025 first will most certainly be on offer. They don’t have a 2 or 3 this year. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Graziano suggests that he believes Washington takes Maye (implying its a surprise to those who expect them to take Daniels)

I don’t think anyone has a clue who we are taking

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

They think the Vikings are going to trade 3 first round picks to move up and get daniels at 3?

That's he first I've seen that level of interest in daniels if so.

Yeah not sure on that one either. Maye or JJ would be my guess.