Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

23 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

This confirms my priors about how the Giants are evil so I believe it completely.

They deserve to be punished - force them to give Danny Dimes 50M/yr

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

The shocker of shockers would not be drafting any qb at 2 (even JJ has been discussed by some wackos as a possibility at 2).

No, the true shocker to end all shockers would be a trade DOWN to get a boatload of draft picks including 1sts in the next TWO drafts.

And the player we would end up selecting in this draft with one of our newly acquired picks...

drumroll...

Michael Tarrence Penix Jr.

It's absolutely not gonna happen but if it does you heard it here first and although I admitedly only have a fans understanding of qb play-- The qb that impressed me most throwing the ball last year (other than his final game) was big old injury prone Penix.

No, no shocker.  There has been battles of Daniels vs Maye and vice versa.  I'm tired of it as are others, thus the post.  It will be good when the #2 pick is called by the Commish and we rally together after our future QB is chosen and support him.  

• Like 2

CBS (Brady Quinn and Spielman) break down Drake Maye. Quinn says he has both Maye and Daniels very close to each other. Likes Mayes arm better. Likes Daniels athleticism better. But Maye no slouch there either. Likes Mayes throwing motion as well. Quinn says Maye not close to Williams. Wont go number one. Spielman says Maye will go no lower than 3. Which is interesting to me. (Maybe we are leaning Daniels?) Spielman says he would do everything to trade up for Maye if he falls to 4 instead of taking JJ or any other QB. Vid was recorded before Kirk to Atlanta. So some talk about them trading up for him in there. Not one of the better vids from Wilson and Spielman. But worth the watch anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No, no shocker.  There has been battles of Daniels vs Maye and vice versa.  I'm tired of it as are others, thus the post.  It will be good when the #2 pick is called by the Commish and we rally together after our future QB is chosen and support him.  

I fear this is wishful thinking for the majority of fans. Which is a huge disadvantage of playing here but it is part of the job I guess. I hope whoever it is comes out and shows a lot of promise and shuts up the noise cause there will be a lot of it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I think it just boils down to a processing and decision-making aspect to his game. He also suffers from rabbit ears IMO, something that afflicted JC a good deal in his time here. Also, if your forte is attacking the middle of the field, you darn sure better be accurate. I'm really not trying to be the ES contrarian here and am speaking from my heart/gut about this. It's looking like he will be the pick so I will certainly support it and wish him the best. 

I think his decision making is fine.  He's got some gun slinger in him.  But its not like he throws a ton of picks or turnover worthy throws.  The irony is when he misses the throws can look especially wild because he's often throwing away from the defender so the defender doesn't have a shot to get the ball. 

I've ripped Darnold, Rosen and Tribisky on various threads over the years after diving deep into their games.  Their decision making was atrocious.  The thought hasn't even crossed my mind when watching Maye.

He actually has to go through his progressions.  When he gets flushed out of his pocket, he doesn't just take off and run like Daniels does. 

As far as accuracy, his issue isn't struggling with 2nd level passes up the middle.  Not even close.  It's when he throws off platform, he makes some either incredible highlight throws or misses.  Hot and cold.  He needs to work on that.  And the other thing is when he's pressured (which happens a lot), he rushes and his mechanics suffer -- often its on throws in the flat on the first level.

He's accurate in the middle, PFF isn't giving him high grades for missing passes left and right in the middle.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-quarterback-superlatives

BEST OVER THE MIDDLE: DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

This one is close between a few quarterbacks, but I gave the nod to Maye. Specifically, we’re looking at throws of 10-20 yards downfield and between the numbers. First of all, Maye has done it often over the last two years with 104 attempts in that area. He also has NFL-caliber velocity to continue to attack in this area. His four big-time throws were tied for fourth in college football. He also only threw three turnover-worthy plays. He led the nation with 61 first downs targeting that area and had a strong 132.8 quarterback rating.

Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 4.58.22 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I fear this is wishful thinking for the majority of fans. Which is a huge disadvantage of playing here but it is part of the job I guess. I hope whoever it is comes out and shows a lot of promise and shuts up the noise cause there will be a lot of it. 

One thing I put in the thread is Peters is driving and I am riding.  It's been quite a ride through FA and I expect nothing different during the draft.  So far Peters has blown away any and every NFL analyst. 

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

One thing I put in the thread is Peters is driving and I am riding.  It's been quite a ride through FA and I expect nothing different during the draft.  So far Peters has blown away any and every NFL analyst. 

I agree. I dont see people losing it either way. Have to trust this front office at this point. We all have our own preference. But I think everyone will rally behind whoever the QB is they decide to pick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I actually concur. There will be no shocker. lol

I just like thought experiments, what if scenarios that have no chance of occuring.

Like what would have happened if the Germans never invaded Russia in WWII and never declared war against America after Pearl Harbor and instead focused solely on defeating the UK.

My post was just an intellectual exercise based on a hypothesis that we both agree isn't going to happen-- ie the Commanders trading back in the draft.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree. I dont see people losing it either way. Have to trust this front office at this point. We all have our own preference. But I think everyone will rally behind whoever the QB is they decide to pick. 

Well said….:cheers:

• Thanks 1

I will be shocked if Peters does not take Maye.. its all but a given this will happen. Personally dont see Daniels even being close. Too many opinions out there with different agendas behind them.. dont over think it, pick the obvious choice.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think his decision making is fine.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Maye friend, but it's not that wide of a gulf disagreement wise. I've not done any confirmation of the veracity of this statement, but I believe Matt Waldman has expressed the same concerns for what it's worth.

M Waldman believes talk Drake Maye might drop, and Nix rise

Manhattan : 2/5/2024 9:12 pm
Rookie chatter talk.

Matt Waldman does believe the chatter about Drake Maye possibly dropping. The chatter comes from some evaluators leaking contrary evals. He says in his study he gets Desmond Ridder vibes from Maye. Thinks he is a late first round or 2nd/3rd round QB. Never understood the talk about going #2. Thinks decision-making, accuracy and mechanics are lacking. Great athlete but a bit of Mitchell Trubisky to his game.

Conversely, he likes Bo Nix, and believes he is a riser. Says scheme argument used against Nix is incorrect. The Oregon offense is more varied than is often portrayed. He thinks Nix is accurate, moves around well in the pocket, and makes strong decisions. He is able to create inside and outside structure.

It is linked here and should cue correctly, but if not, this portion of the conversation starts at 26:40.

Feel It Or F@#k It: 2.5.24: An RSP Cast with Bob Harris and Matt Waldman - ( New Window )

1 hour ago, illone said:

You're misunderstanding my take, but that's on me so allow me to clarify.  

I follow the entire NFL, not just this team, so when I said "most people" thats more of a human observation, not aimed at fans of any specific team. In fact, it's more of a direct shot at the draftniks who continue to get this stuff wrong year after year yet command the majority of attention and dare I say respect on these topics despite having the same knowledge as anyone else, which is not much.  Mel Kiper is probably the worst (widely respected as the ultimate draft guru) yet when he puts out mock drafts everyone trusts it and then bases their own mock draft off a version of his, so in essence we have all these mock draft derivatives originating from the same horrible source.

I've said multiple times on here, the receipts are available, that I've been wrong more than right on topics such as this.  I was, afterall, excited about Colt Brennan for cryin out loud. It doesnt get more wrong than that despite the low risk signing. I am also on record as saying "Kenny Pickett is the best QB in this draft". I mean talk about laughable... 

The quality of anyones posts is subjective, but I'd urge you to lighten up when reading mine because it's fairly clear you take my stuff more seriously than I do.

I'm a pretty confident dude, which does rub some people the wrong way, but I dont make any claims that I'm better than anyone. If you're offended by words on a messageboard that says more about you than me, all due respect.  

As for the JJ stuff, I've already posted that I made a bet on the pick so if I am right I will in fact be earning a prize:

MONEY💰💰💰 

It's a long shot and I dont expect to win, but I am putting my money where my mouth is, as it were.  I think he is the right guy to lead this team into the future, not just to start immediately, but I think he can develop into a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. Id even be ok if Mariota started for six games while this staff gets him ready. That applies to any new QB quite frankly.  I know some fans are in a hurry, I am not one of them.  I am thinking 5, 10, 15 years down the road, not just the upcoming QBs first contract with the team. I have a feeling that Caleb will NOT get a 2nd contract with the Bears, but that's a different thread.  Drake Maye, I dont think he is the franchise guy that many make him out to be. When watching him play actual games, he drifts backwards too much when there is room to maneuver in the pocket, similar to Howell actually (ironic they went to the same school w same coaching?) Jayden Daniels is too tiny and is going to get broken by NFL Edge rushers and linebackers.  But again, alot of this stuff boils down to where you are drafted and the coaching you receive. 

In the end, its just one guys opinion and its just a game. Ive been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

Apologies if I misinterpreted the tone of your post, but I’m not offended so no worries there. We’re a fairly small community, I thought you dropped a fairly arrogant post, that’s really it. 

Maybe I misread your intention but it basically read like the message board equivalent of this:

IMG_2842.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Apologies if I misinterpreted the tone of your post, but I’m not offended so no worries there. We’re a fairly small community, I thought you dropped a fairly arrogant post, that’s really it. 

Maybe I misread your intention but it basically read like the message board equivalent of this:

Look what J.J. McCarthy is doing to us.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

...I thought you dropped a fairly arrogant post, that’s really it. 

I can see it. My confidence def bleeds into a shade of arrogance, but yea this little corner of the internet is my home too. Almost 20 years and 15,000 posts😂.  I’d never take a dump in my own yard, not intentionally anyways.  

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, illone said:

I can see it. My confidence def bleeds into a shade of arrogance, but yea this little corner of the internet is my home too. Almost 20 years and 15,000 posts😂.  I’d never take a dump in my own yard, not intentionally anyways.  

😁

IMG_1231.jpeg.60b8fe2a3bcaf0e92c5e2585ed108f17.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I know you have to is hanging on the wall of your “Law Firm” lol

My screen saver is this collection of these opposite motivational posters. Demotivators is the company.  They are so hilarious 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

CBS (Brady Quinn and Spielman) break down Drake Maye. Quinn says he has both Maye and Daniels very close to each other. Likes Mayes arm better. Likes Daniels athleticism better. But Maye no slouch there either. Likes Mayes throwing motion as well. Quinn says Maye not close to Williams. Wont go number one. Spielman says Maye will go no lower than 3. Which is interesting to me. (Maybe we are leaning Daniels?) Spielman says he would do everything to trade up for Maye if he falls to 4 instead of taking JJ or any other QB. Vid was recorded before Kirk to Atlanta. So some talk about them trading up for him in there. Not one of the better vids from Wilson and Spielman. But worth the watch anyways. 

Brady Quinn is up there with Kurt Warner level sleepiness. His comp for Maye is Carson Palmer 🤣

All anti-Maye talk shall henceforth be considered as NY Giants propaganda and any propagation of said propaganda shall be considered treason of the highest order and punishable by death.

I am joking (but I do find it somewhat likely the Giants are behind some of the rumors about Maye dropping in teams' eyes because I am certain they desperately want him).

• Haha 1