Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

One thing about Maye vs Daniels, and this is just a personal thing, I kinda prefer Maye because he's just sorta...boring... and normal.

Like he's just your prototypical QB who, if he pans out is good for 12 years or so.

Like I just imagine how nice it would be to have like, Philip Rivers for all those years, where you just know the position is solved for a while.

Daniels is electric but he's a dual threat and even if he is Lamar 2.0 or Randall Cunningham 2.0 I'm still gonna be on edge every week/month/year.  I know anything can happen to anyone (what are the odds that we'd suffer 2x Theismanesque injuries at QB?) but I just look at the skinny runner Daniels is and I'm just like "man let someone else get the electric dual threat guy who might break in half one day and lets just get a boring but good dude."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

That's right! I'm sorry I forgot. Yeah, I'm not doling out anymore opinions on QB's until after the draft. I still maintain Nix & Penix are being undervalued to an extent. I do like Daniels, however. 

Exactly. We wont have to wait much longer and unless one of these kids makes a colossal mistake off the field, we'll learn the actual NFL opinions on these guys in about 38 days, 5 hours, and 12 minutes... But who's counting :D 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, illone said:

I posted concerns about Maye months ago, just havent been as loud about it lately and I dont want to spam the board. 

I've concluded that most people like the top Qbs for no reason other than they have seen the names in every mock draft since December so there is a familiarity bias involved, not actual analysis or opinion rooted in anything other than what someone else thinks. I have even larger concerns for Jayden Daniels which are also well documented, and slightly less unpopular.

If the argument is Maye vs Daniels, then the choice is Maye, but I promise you this organization is not having that discussion...

Pretty reductive and demeaning to this community as a whole imo

You having conviction in the minority opinion that JJ>>other options and better than others give credit for does not earn you any special prizes for “doing the work”. You might just be wrong, like anyone else. Show some humility imo. Pretty embarrassing post to type unless you’re just filling the board with top notch material. You aren’t, that I’ve noticed. You’re as good a poster as most of us, this isn’t an insult. You’re just teetering on a bit of a pedestal of your own making right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

From the guy who claims he is a former Bears front office employee going incognito. "FYI Vikings fans, You're not getting Maye. He's going to the Commander's. You can bookmark this if you want "

Edited by actorguy1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Wouldn't it be hunky dory if Peters pulled a shocker a real curveball at QB.  Bring it Peters so all of us can be wrong. Whatever decision is made. Drive Adam, I'm riding.  :ols: 

The shocker of shockers would not be drafting any qb at 2 (even JJ has been discussed by some wackos as a possibility at 2).

No, the true shocker to end all shockers would be a trade DOWN to get a boatload of draft picks including 1sts in the next TWO drafts.

And the player we would end up selecting in this draft with one of our newly acquired picks...

drumroll...

Michael Tarrence Penix Jr.

It's absolutely not gonna happen but if it does you heard it here first and although I admitedly only have a fans understanding of qb play-- The qb that impressed me most throwing the ball last year (other than his final game) was big old injury prone Penix.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

This is obvious when you watch and rewatch Maye's games which I have done more than any other player I've ever watched.  It's not just the drops but the lack of seperation.  I've mentioned this before.

It's also a thing that Logan Paulsen alluded to when explaining why he moved from Daniels being QB #2 for him to now Maye being his #2 -- when he watched the all 22 film, he could see what Maye was dealing with and what Daniels was dealing with.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

From the guy who claims he is a former Bears front office employee going incognito.

Interesting vid of JJ from one of the responses on that thread...

McCarthy does seem to have real charisma, a natural likability factor. He is obviously at ease and comfortable in his own skin.

I could really picture him leading a group of men in battle.

I don't always see that with the other top 4 qbs.

Doesn't mean I'd draft him in the top 10 though.

• Like 4

@Chump Bailey good debate, all in fun. 😎

I get the concern.  Disagree with the Jason Campbell comp.   Outside of both being tall don't see much in common

Campbell was a one year wonder in college and it wasn't that hot of a season -- 20 TD 7 INTs.  2700 yards.  Now that was PEAK Campbell in college.  Most considered him a 2nd rounder when this team suprisingly took him in the late first.

I admit its too long for me to recall the college verson of Campbell.   But the pro version had a slow release.  Threw a flat deep ball.   didn't throw Tds.   Was conservative yet threw his share of picks.

Maye had 38 TDs in 2022. That would be two seasons combined for a typical Campbell season, pros or college.

If I am going worse case scenario on Maye, I think Trevor Lawrence works as a comp.   Lawrence has big time tools like Maye but is maddingly inconsistent and hasn't worked his way through it.  I think Lawrence has been decent but in that 15-20 range and its not clear if he can break through that.  As you know, I am betting that Maye ends up a franchise QB.  But if it goes south, I'd be surprised if he sucked but it wouldn't shock me if he was up and down like Lawrence.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

(what are the odds that we'd suffer 2x Theismanesque injuries at QB?)

Alex Smith broke his leg so bad that he almost died. Joe, broke his leg so bad that a crackhead was scared for him. RG3 broke his leg so bad that it wasn’t even broke, but still was bad enough to to go from ROY to bust.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a pocket passer or dual threat qb. Injuries happen, the good news for us is we are due a string of good luck at the Qb position, and the league is more than ever protecting QBs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This guy puts into words what I'm thinking better than I ever could.

He also had Justin Fields as number 3 prospect overall 2021 and Bryce Young over Stroud. Not saying I disagree but just context.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

the good news for us is we are due a string of good luck at the Qb position, and the league is more than ever protecting QBs.

Well ****, you jinxed it.  *throwd hands in the air*

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I am going worse case scenario on Maye, I think Trevor Lawrence works as a comp.   Lawrence has big time tools like Maye but is maddingly inconsistent and hasn't worked his way through it.  I think Lawrence has been decent but in that 15-20 range and it’s not clear if he can break through that.  As you know, I am betting that Maye ends up a franchise QB.  But if it goes south, I'd be surprised if he sucked but it wouldn't shock me if he was up and down like Lawrence.

Thats an incredibly high floor for a guy that’s only played 2 years of college ball and no pro ball. Especially since he didn’t get any better his second year starting in college.

I like Maye, Daniels and Williams, but I won’t rule out any of them completely busting. All three have shortcomings that they will need to overcome.

Edited by mac8887

17 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

He also had Justin Fields as number 3 prospect overall 2021 and Bryce Young over Stroud. Not saying I disagree but just context.

Yeah I already looked up his past opinions And as has been stated a million times nobody is going to get it right every time, nobody!

That said having fields above wilson wasn't really a miss though, fields has proven to be better than wilson just not good enough.

And it wasn't about his past just the way he worded everything in describing his opinion of the first three picks perfectly mirrors my opinion. 

Caleb is generational, Maye has WOW level potential while having flaws that could derail his career and Jayden is an elite prospect who I look forward to watching in the nfl but want Maye more because I feel he has more upside.

I just went and watched his 2023 mock draft and sure he had young over Stroud but he said it was a razor thin margin and he gushed over Stroud saying he thought Stroud actually had the higher upside, he wasn't that wrong.

I really like this guy's evaluations.

Edited by redskinss

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is obvious when you watch and rewatch Maye's games which I have done more than any other player I've ever watched.  It's not just the drops but the lack of seperation.  I've mentioned this before.

It's also a thing that Logan Paulsen alluded to when explaining why he moved from Daniels being QB #2 for him to now Maye being his #2 -- when he watched the all 22 film, he could see what Maye was dealing with and what Daniels was dealing with.

What gets me is that they say only CW can make such plays.  Really!  We see it in this short clip.  Many more coming to DC!  

21 minutes ago, Conn said:

Pretty reductive and demeaning to this community as a whole imo

You having conviction in the minority opinion that JJ>>other options and better than others give credit for does not earn you any special prizes for “doing the work”. You might just be wrong, like anyone else. Show some humility imo. Pretty embarrassing post to type unless you’re just filling the board with top notch material. You aren’t, that I’ve noticed. You’re as good a poster as most of us, this isn’t an insult. You’re just teetering on a bit of a pedestal of your own making right now. 

You're misunderstanding my take, but that's on me so allow me to clarify.  

I follow the entire NFL, not just this team, so when I said "most people" thats more of a human observation, not aimed at fans of any specific team. In fact, it's more of a direct shot at the draftniks who continue to get this stuff wrong year after year yet command the majority of attention and dare I say respect on these topics despite having the same knowledge as anyone else, which is not much.  Mel Kiper is probably the worst (widely respected as the ultimate draft guru) yet when he puts out mock drafts everyone trusts it and then bases their own mock draft off a version of his, so in essence we have all these mock draft derivatives originating from the same horrible source.

I've said multiple times on here, the receipts are available, that I've been wrong more than right on topics such as this.  I was, afterall, excited about Colt Brennan for cryin out loud. It doesnt get more wrong than that despite the low risk signing. I am also on record as saying "Kenny Pickett is the best QB in this draft". I mean talk about laughable... 

The quality of anyones posts is subjective, but I'd urge you to lighten up when reading mine because it's fairly clear you take my stuff more seriously than I do.

I'm a pretty confident dude, which does rub some people the wrong way, but I dont make any claims that I'm better than anyone. If you're offended by words on a messageboard that says more about you than me, all due respect.  

As for the JJ stuff, I've already posted that I made a bet on the pick so if I am right I will in fact be earning a prize:

MONEY💰💰💰 

It's a long shot and I dont expect to win, but I am putting my money where my mouth is, as it were.  I think he is the right guy to lead this team into the future, not just to start immediately, but I think he can develop into a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. Id even be ok if Mariota started for six games while this staff gets him ready. That applies to any new QB quite frankly.  I know some fans are in a hurry, I am not one of them.  I am thinking 5, 10, 15 years down the road, not just the upcoming QBs first contract with the team. I have a feeling that Caleb will NOT get a 2nd contract with the Bears, but that's a different thread.  Drake Maye, I dont think he is the franchise guy that many make him out to be. When watching him play actual games, he drifts backwards too much when there is room to maneuver in the pocket, similar to Howell actually (ironic they went to the same school w same coaching?) Jayden Daniels is too tiny and is going to get broken by NFL Edge rushers and linebackers.  But again, alot of this stuff boils down to where you are drafted and the coaching you receive. 

In the end, its just one guys opinion and its just a game. Ive been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Interesting vid of JJ from one of the responses on that thread...

McCarthy does seem to have real charisma, a natural likability factor. He is obviously at ease and comfortable in his own skin.

I could really picture him leading a group of men in battle.

I don't always see that with the other top 4 qbs.

Doesn't mean I'd draft him in the top 10 though.

Listening to this aligns with Minny being in position to draft JJ.  It makes too much sense. JJ is a great leader.  It's a good match for him in Minny as Maye is a good match for Washington.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Now ThatNFLchic is going to show up and post the Kurt Warner video again.

I appreciate that yall have been thinking about me when I haven't really been here in days because I've been busy. 

Also I have stated several times I couldn't care less about Hasselbeck's opinion and that hasn't changed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Thats an incredibly high floor for a guy that’s only played 2 years of college ball and no pro ball. Especially since he didn’t get any better his second year starting in college.

I like Maye, Daniels and Williams, but I won’t rule out any of them completely busting. All three have shortcomings that they will need to overcome.

Anyone can bust. 

I am not the only one who used the Trevor Lawrence comps for better or worse including some ex-QBs.  Forget the high pedigree can't missed billing he got before entering the pros.  As a pro player, he's been arguably middle of the road.  One bad season.  One good season.  One so so season.

But yeah I do think Maye has the higher floor over Daniels.  

• Like 2

The draft season is too long. :ols:

The Maye-Daniels debate from the media standpoint seems to come in waves.  Maye seemed to have much of the wave, not all until the combine and then much of the draft media fell in love with Daniels.  Feels like momentum coming a little more to Maye this week.  But it feels somewhat even.

But all the back and forth its clearly BS.

Though if i had to pick 2 players who might be considered here who have had a weird ride with the mock drafters.  Darius Robinson and Fashanu.  Fashanu started with the top 5 hype. One draft guy, forgetting which one said he might be the best player in the draft.  But in recent weeks have seen him fall to LT #4 or #5 and into the teens in mocks.  Now i see he's starting to creep back closer to the top 10.

Robinson pre Senior Bowel -- 2nd -3rd rounder.  After the Senior Bowl, first round lock, maybe even in the teens.  Now i see him in the 2nd in most mocks. 

Among the QBs, I'd say Nix has had the most variance.  Top 10 or 2nd rounder in some mocks.  Then it was top 20.  Now top 20 or 2nd round. The top 10 has disappeared.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the concern.  Disagree with the Jason Campbell comp.   Outside of both being tall don't see much in common

I think it just boils down to a processing and decision-making aspect to his game. He also suffers from rabbit ears IMO, something that afflicted JC a good deal in his time here. Also, if your forte is attacking the middle of the field, you darn sure better be accurate. I'm really not trying to be the ES contrarian here and am speaking from my heart/gut about this. It's looking like he will be the pick so I will certainly support it and wish him the best. 

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

One thing about Maye vs Daniels, and this is just a personal thing, I kinda prefer Maye because he's just sorta...boring... and normal.

Like he's just your prototypical QB who, if he pans out is good for 12 years or so.

Like I just imagine how nice it would be to have like, Philip Rivers for all those years, where you just know the position is solved for a while.

Daniels is electric but he's a dual threat and even if he is Lamar 2.0 or Randall Cunningham 2.0 I'm still gonna be on edge every week/month/year.  I know anything can happen to anyone (what are the odds that we'd suffer 2x Theismanesque injuries at QB?) but I just look at the skinny runner Daniels is and I'm just like "man let someone else get the electric dual threat guy who might break in half one day and lets just get a boring but good dude."

YARN | Quit readin' my mind. | Gravity Falls (2012) - S01E06 Animation |  Video clips by quotes | 64f80303 | 紗

• Haha 1