Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

I would put my chips in on Stroud to be the next great QB that's playing right now and will give Mahomes all he can handle. Of course they are still building that team with their draft fortunes of late.

And they traded away a pile of resources to lock in Stroud and that stud DL in round 1 last year. It compromised this draft a bit. The build isn't really close for them yet, but he's a franchise guy period and they have very cheap, discounty WRs in Collins and Tank. The good news for Stroud and the Texans is that the pieces they thought they were giving up to move up for Will Anderson were not what they gave up. As a Texans article mentions, at the time of the trade up, the Texans were tied for the longest odds to win the super bowl, the Cardinals were clearly assuming they'd land a top 2-5 pick when they agreed to that deal, but that's not what happened at all. Instead the first is in the mid twenties, the third dropped from top 70, to late eighties or early nineties. After this class, they get their draft capital back, they should be back. We'll see. A lot of teams in the AFC are oddly positioned:

Jets have everything except a QB

Bills talent is aging out in key places.

Browns are fearing Watson is not what he was.

Bengals are too cheap to build around Burrow or are they?

Texans are years away, and whats going on with Lawrence and Jacksonville.

How quickly can Jim Harbaugh fix the Chargers?

How much longer can the Chiefs get away with this? 

Im skeptical of the Chiefs even making the super bowl next year, I think this year was largely a heroic fluke. We'll see. 

58 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

*walks into thread with can of gasoline*

*runs away giggling*

You know that was posted in here like 10 days ago?

7 hours ago, illone said:

so to suggest that this is a done deal is actually devoid of logic and reason..

Agreed. This next week could provide further clarity on what’s about to unfold, would expect the scouting combine to generate some noise, in particular FO to FO discussions on trades etc

8 hours ago, MartinC said:

Would you draft Dan Marino?

If I was picking #27 in the draft, yes.

If I was picking #2 in the draft, I’d have given everything I could to move to #1 to get John Elway first.

• Confused 1

A reminder of what our new owner is looking to deliver. I will fully support any move they make at QB. However, whilst the the Caleb embers are still smouldering, I’m keeping the bar set as high as possible. The long term aim is become the the #1 franchise in the league again. Dare to dream people, dare to dream……:)

Washington Commanders Managing Partner Josh Harris and members of the ownership group addressed the media earlier today. Here are five takeaways from their introductory press conference. 

He feels a "tremendous" amount of responsibility to the city to deliver a winning product. 

Harris grew up during the powerhouse years of the Washington franchise. Some of his best memories are of him walking to RFK, and he spent his days watching the likes of Doug Williams, Darrell Green, Mark Rypien and scores of other Washington Legends. 

So, he knows how important the franchise is to the DMV. 

"It's hard to imagine, but I've seen the numbers," Harris said. "The Commanders were once the No. 1 franchise in the NFL back when they were the Redskins and even after that. Not the Dallas Cowboys, the Washington Commanders." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

A reminder of what our new owner is looking to deliver. I will fully support any move they make at QB. However, whilst the the Caleb embers are still smouldering, I’m keeping the bar set as high as possible. The long term aim is become the the #1 franchise in the league again. Dare to dream people, dare to dream……:)

Washington Commanders Managing Partner Josh Harris and members of the ownership group addressed the media earlier today. Here are five takeaways from their introductory press conference. 

He feels a "tremendous" amount of responsibility to the city to deliver a winning product. 

Harris grew up during the powerhouse years of the Washington franchise. Some of his best memories are of him walking to RFK, and he spent his days watching the likes of Doug Williams, Darrell Green, Mark Rypien and scores of other Washington Legends. 

So, he knows how important the franchise is to the DMV. 

"It's hard to imagine, but I've seen the numbers," Harris said. "The Commanders were once the No. 1 franchise in the NFL back when they were the Redskins and even after that. Not the Dallas Cowboys, the Washington Commanders." 

BREAKING NEWS: NFL Owner Wants His Team To Win

Ashburn, VA. In a shocking and unprecedented turn of events, new NFL owner Josh Harris has boldly bucked the norm and publicly declared that he would like the new team he recently purchased to be a winning franchise. Reactions around the nation have ranged from disgust, to confusion, to outright shock, but the new owner seems unperturbed. We will continue to update this story as the situation unfolds.

• Haha 8

Bo Nix - not getting much talk, I really like him as a prospect too. This is the Lance Z write up on NFL.com :

Overview

Rare five-year starting quarterback whose play has matured in front of our eyes. Nix displays the accuracy, arm talent and athleticism consistent with today’s brand of pro quarterback. He can be punctual in getting the ball out at the top of his drop or he can work through progressions and beat defenses with second-reaction plays. He throws with good velocity and puts the ball on the money when throwing on the move. Nix has shown great improvement with his pocket poise. He’s capable of moving the sticks as a scrambler or as part of the running game. Some of his gaudy production has been driven by the Oregon offense’s design, but his talent clearly stands out. I’ve harbored bias from watching the overwhelmed version of Nix during his Auburn days, but as the saying goes, “tape don’t lie.” Nix appears more than ready to attack the league with an NFL-caliber skill set.

Strengths

• Good pre-snap recognition for expedited post-snap itinerary.
  • Big hands to manipulate defenses with aggressive pump fakes.
  • Shows ability to work through options and find what he likes.
  • Generates quality velocity from a sudden, compact release.
  • Ball comes out of his hand with good pace and without much effort.
  • Impressive run-and-rip talent throwing accurately on the move.
  • Play-extender with arm talent to win with secondary action as passer.
  • Internal clock and athleticism help him avoid sacks.
  • Toughness and talent to move the sticks on called runs.

Weaknesses

• Nearly 30 percent of his passes in 2023 were thrown behind the line of scrimmage, per Pro Football Focus.
  • Tends to short-arm throws when blitz is leaking in.
  • Decision-making can take a hit when he extends the play.
  • Left easy touchdowns on the field due to overthrows.
  • Bucket throws will come out a little flat.
  • Needs to do a better job of throwing receivers away from coverage.

Sources Tell Us

“He’s so much more confident than he was when he came in. The only thing you worry about a little bit is how he will respond when he’s outside the comfort of that (Oregon) offense. Does he play with the same confidence?" - NFC area scout

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JMURedskins said:

I wasn’t trying to hate. I want either  of these QBs to turn this us around.  I’m excited about the possibility of Maye or Daniels.  Like I said, it’s been a long day so maybe it’s coming out in my post. Obviously my math was impacted.  

I think Maye sucks, I don't care what anyone says.  Just watching his Virginia tape, South Carolina and his last collegiate game....he's not very good.

He may look like Justin Herbert standing in the pocket and running the ball, but he doesn't have Herbert's arm nor accuracy.  

To me it's Jayden Daniels at 2 or it's trade back for a draft haul and get Brock Bowers.  But I am excited about the possibility of Daniels...I see Maye falling in this draft

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

And, I'd be excited to watch Daniels if we took him. I think all 3 top QB's might be pro bowlers. But, this conversation is ridiculous. 

Agree.  Look bottom line is we are lucky to be picking top 3 in this draft.   Miller, Edwards (ex-Daniels coach) and Hasselbeck discuss this here.    And heck here is segment with more Daniels than Maye love.  Yet Miller summarizes it like I have and plenty of others have done -- in many years these top three guys would be #1 in most drafts.  We are lucky that they are all in this one draft and we are picking #2.  For me Hasselbeck gets in a good dig at Edwards which I found amusing.

Judging by 2 fan polls I read, Riggo Rag and one by Grant Paulsen, more Commanders fans prefer Maye and by a good margin.  But if the pick ends up Daniels, I am gathering most of the fans woud be cool, judging by here and twitter.  I don't get the same vibe from some of the Daniels fans about Maye but that's cool, I assume they'd get over it in time. 

And as to these QBs having flaws as if its gravely concerning and not evident in other drafts for top prospects -- that's nonsense and just about the power of hindsight.  Herbert was ripped much more than any of these guys.  Josh Allen and Mahomes were VERY raw and a big risk.  Burrow a one year wonder with just average arm strength who was beaten by Haskins for a job at Ohio State. Heck even Washington fans were worried about the Colts taking RG3 because Luck was overrated.

It's not like I recall reading draft guides, comments on the draft thread, twitter, etc in the past -- with complete consensus love for a college QB before the draft.  Those times never existed.  They don't exist now either.  And that's OK, its normal.

maybefans.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

If I was picking #2 in the draft, I’d have given everything I could to move to #1 to get John Elway first.

It took John Elway 15 seasons to win his first Super Bowl. Right at the end of his career when he was well past his best (and his best was awesome). 

It takes a village and the stars aligning to win a title. Having an elite QB gives you a chance - and it’s almost impossible without one - but you still need coaching and talent around that QB. Plus some dumb luck.

• Like 10
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Bo Nix - not getting much talk, I really like him as a prospect too. This is the Lance Z write up on NFL.com :

Overview

Rare five-year starting quarterback whose play has matured in front of our eyes. Nix displays the accuracy, arm talent and athleticism consistent with today’s brand of pro quarterback. He can be punctual in getting the ball out at the top of his drop or he can work through progressions and beat defenses with second-reaction plays. He throws with good velocity and puts the ball on the money when throwing on the move. Nix has shown great improvement with his pocket poise. He’s capable of moving the sticks as a scrambler or as part of the running game. Some of his gaudy production has been driven by the Oregon offense’s design, but his talent clearly stands out. I’ve harbored bias from watching the overwhelmed version of Nix during his Auburn days, but as the saying goes, “tape don’t lie.” Nix appears more than ready to attack the league with an NFL-caliber skill set.

Strengths

• Good pre-snap recognition for expedited post-snap itinerary.
  • Big hands to manipulate defenses with aggressive pump fakes.
  • Shows ability to work through options and find what he likes.
  • Generates quality velocity from a sudden, compact release.
  • Ball comes out of his hand with good pace and without much effort.
  • Impressive run-and-rip talent throwing accurately on the move.
  • Play-extender with arm talent to win with secondary action as passer.
  • Internal clock and athleticism help him avoid sacks.
  • Toughness and talent to move the sticks on called runs.

Weaknesses

• Nearly 30 percent of his passes in 2023 were thrown behind the line of scrimmage, per Pro Football Focus.
  • Tends to short-arm throws when blitz is leaking in.
  • Decision-making can take a hit when he extends the play.
  • Left easy touchdowns on the field due to overthrows.
  • Bucket throws will come out a little flat.
  • Needs to do a better job of throwing receivers away from coverage.

Sources Tell Us

“He’s so much more confident than he was when he came in. The only thing you worry about a little bit is how he will respond when he’s outside the comfort of that (Oregon) offense. Does he play with the same confidence?" - NFC area scout

I was reading a draft take from someone comparing JJ McCarthy to Alex Smith.  I didn't love that comp.  But thinking about Nix, that's a better comp to Alex Smith as to his ceiling.

He doesn't excite me but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a career somewhere in between Daniel Jones and Alex Smith.  Has some bust potential. So it also wouldn't surprise me if he's a career backup.   But I'd be surprised if he doesn't have at a minimum a Colt McCoy kind of a career,

His "meh" Senior Bowl didn't help his draft stock am presuming. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10107440-2024-senior-bowl-takeaways-bo-nixs-struggles-could-cause-his-draft-stock-to-plummet

2024 Senior Bowl Takeaways: Bo Nix's Struggles Could Cause His Draft Stock to Plummet

QB Bo Nix, Oregon

With no other way to put it, Nix was bad during the second day of Senior Bowl practices.

The FBS season record-holder for completion percentage missed a number of throws, both in team drills and in one-on-ones. Nix's underthrown wheel route to USC running back Marshawn Lloyd already made its rounds on social media. But he also missed plenty of others, including short-hopping underneath routes and simply looking off throughout the session.

As further examples, the Heisman Trophy finalist was late on one throw to the sideline in one-on-ones. During team drills, Nix threw a spot route too low and then tossed a seam route low and behind his target.

Nix is not normally this inaccurate on film, but it's not surprising to see him late to trigger and generally a little anxious as a thrower. Both of those traits track with what he put on film, and both have cranked up in an unfamiliar environment.

If there was a competition for the best quarterback in Mobile, Nix wouldn't be first, second and probably not even third.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Just saw these two tweets back-to-back lol:

Catching up on this thread.  Was wondering where all the Josh Allen hate was coming from. I get it now its an indirect hit on Drake Maye. 

I get it a top 5 QB, still isn't the #1 QB in the league.  

And 5 playoff appearances in a row. And winning at least one playoff game in 4 of those 5 those years.  A championship game, too.  Yawn. Boring.    

27-24 came just short to Mahomes last year.  That's curtains for that team.   Josh Allen is 27 years old already.  That's sort of the end of the road for most QBs.  They've had their shot its over. 

Thinking about this team's ride in the last 30 years, the Bills run would feel like a major let down.  We are already in the playoffs every year and we win at least a game in the playoffs everytime we are there.  Having QBs who are just a hair behind Mahomes is the country we live in already.  What would be new to be a perennial contender?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If so I'd stop bringing up trading down for Bo Nix. 😎

😂 I’d suggest many of the points being made in this thread imply people are content with a QB that will make us more competitive. Not a serial winner. But more competitive.

The quickest way to achieve that is to trade back, find your own Brock Purdy, make the remaining roster elite, compete, but never beat the best when it matters.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thinking about this team's ride in the last 30 years, the Bills run would feel like a major let down. 

Agree. They’ve won nothing.

• Thumb down 1

I wonder if he get any Malik Willis "give clothes to the homeless" QB controversies from the combine this year. There is always something.

I gotta imagine a lot of the QBs chose to skip the S2 after agents provided them an out, so we may not get a "crayons" guy in this draft crop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All these pundits saying that russsell Wilson will be had at league minimum. I like JJ McCarthy but I think he’d need to sit a year or 2, I could get behind signing Russ for 2 years, trading back and picking up McCarthy. Only if we get McCarthy. We would have 3 really cheap qbs, and really get the roster in excellent shape by the time JJ McCarthy would be ready to start in his second or third year. With all the picks and cap space we’d have to fill out the roster, we could essentially stack the roster around the qb. Again is only be ok doing this if we can get McCarthy, while picking up an extra 1st rounder for next year and maybe even another 1st.

• Like 3

The thing about getting McCarthy is you gotta watch the Giants super closely, and you probably can't move past ATL at 8 safely.

Which kinda sucks bc he's pretty broadly looked at as a guy who needs a year in the cooker to learn how to do NFL QB stuff, and so that's something I'd prefer in the teens, not top 10, but if we can somehow determine Giants aren't taking him AND get a haul from Atlanta then it'd be okay.  We have a little extra cap space too so you could probably put in a call to someone like Tannehill too.

But if you don't know what the Giants are doing I'd be very hesitant to move back to 8 (and I assume we are NOT trading with those no good dirty rotten Giants).  If they grab McCarthy then you're looking at Nix or Penix and I don't think we want those guys at 8.  If Penix fell to the end of the first I'd probably trade up to get him on his potential.  But basically you end up left holding the bag if Giants grab McCarthy out from under you.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 6:05 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's a good question. I think it's basically "he can be Lamar" that is the "ceiling" we hear of. With that, I suppose, is the idea that a running QB like that can elevate a team single-handedly beyond what a good passer can. Which is true, if we're talking about lifting a bad team to the middle of the pack, or slightly higher.

But while I don't think he should be considered a potential Lamar 2.0, I guess we're also supposed to ignore that Lamar himself is 2-4 in his playoff career. And he has had enough injury problems that he's missed two playoff runs and been knocked out of a playoff game in another year, out of 6 seasons. 

So I guess his ceiling is basically "Lamar minus all the negative of Lamar." Which, you know, is quite a ceiling. 

I will admit to a bias. These super mobile QBs have been around since Randall Cunningham, over the last decade we've seen a ton of them and some on good teams. But only one (Hurts) even made it to the Super Bowl.  As I watched the first quarter of the Ravens/Chiefs I told myself I have to get with the times and accept this type of QB as the future. An 8 yard run on 3rd and 6 is just as good as an 8 yard pass into tight coverage.

But then I see Lamar crap the bed in the playoffs. Again.  And I'm right back where I've always been, preferring a pocket QB

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

The thing about getting McCarthy is you gotta watch the Giants super closely, and you probably can't move past ATL at 8 safely.

Which kinda sucks bc he's pretty broadly looked at as a guy who needs a year in the cooker to learn how to do NFL QB stuff, and so that's something I'd prefer in the teens, not top 10, but if we can somehow determine Giants aren't taking him AND get a haul from Atlanta then it'd be okay.  We have a little extra cap space too so you could probably put in a call to someone like Tannehill too.

But if you don't know what the Giants are doing I'd be very hesitant to move back to 8 (and I assume we are NOT trading with those no good dirty rotten Giants).  If they grab McCarthy then you're looking at Nix or Penix and I don't think we want those guys at 8.  If Penix fell to the end of the first I'd probably trade up to get him on his potential.  But basically you end up left holding the bag if Giants grab McCarthy out from under you.

Why not just trade #2 to the giants for # 6 and a first next year and even more. They covet Drake Maye, maybe we could get an extra 2 first rounders and pick McCarthy at 6 and let Russ start for a year or 2. Even with Denver’s woeful start to the season, they were competing for the playoffs. I believe Russ could get us to at least compete for the wildcard the next 2 years while we build the roster to have it ready when McCarthy is ready to start. Then we take the league by storm, we could have a 49ers type roster by then with all the cap space and the xtra 1st rounders.

Edited by mac8887

5 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Why not just trade #2 to the giants for # 6 and a first next year and even more. They covet Drake Maye, maybe we could get an extra 2 first rounders and pick McCarthy at 6 and let Russ start for a year or 2. Even with Denver’s woeful start to the season, they were competing for the playoffs. I believe Russ could get us to at least compete for the wildcard the next 2 years while we build the roster to have it ready when McCarthy is ready to start. Then we take the league by storm, we could have a 49ers type roster by then with all the cap space and the xtra 1st rounders.

This is a case where I don't believe you help a divisional opponent potentially land a true franchise QB and face that for a decade. We are much better off leaving the Giants stuck with Daniel Jones.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I will admit to a bias. These super mobile QBs have been around since Randall Cunningham, over the last decade we've seen a ton of them and some on good teams. But none have yet to even make it to the Super Bowl.

ehhh...

If your just looking at "super mobile" and your metric is just getting to the SB...

Russ

Cam

Kap

Hurts

and a metric ton that wound only serve to start arguments like Steve Young, McNair, Tarkenton, McNabb...

Even those that slant passing, the point of being a dual threat is being a dual threat.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1