Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

We'll see but Breer and ESPN have been talking about it as a definitely possibility and we've seen some mock drafta shifting because of the talk. 

I guess it’s a possibility. But if they are seriously considering a trade back it suggests their evaluation on the top QBs they think they will have an opportunity to draft is not strong.

Ugh, no thanks.

The Washington Commanders sit with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft and the most salary cap space of any team in the league. It has been presumed that they will draft the second quarterback available — likely North Carolina's Drake Maye or LSU's Jayden Daniels — or maybe even get aggressive and trade with the Chicago Bears to select USC's Caleb Williams at No. 1 overall.

But what if they went a different route and reunited with an old friend?

Kirk Cousins, at 35 years old and coming off an Achilles tear, carries some significant red flags. He can’t be seen as the team’s starter for the next 10 years, even in an era where Tom Brady just showed that was attainable for players with a manic obsession for taking care of their bodies.

Cousins is, however, the clear top veteran option available, and when we last saw him at the NFL Honors, he was doing a dance number less than 100 days after tearing his Achilles.

Washington's roster features a lot of talent, particularly in the form of offensive weapons, that could turn things around quickly with a good quarterback. New coaches Dan Quinn and Kliff Kingsbury are potentially also better suited to a veteran at the position rather than the unknown of a rookie face of the franchise.

If the Commanders were to simply replicate the kind of deal Cousins coveted during his time in Minnesota — a three-year, fully guaranteed contract — it would make sense for both sides.

It would also free up the No. 2 overall draft pick and make Washington open for trade business.

Commanders_MDS.png

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ugh, no thanks.

The Washington Commanders sit with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft and the most salary cap space of any team in the league. It has been presumed that they will draft the second quarterback available — likely North Carolina's Drake Maye or LSU's Jayden Daniels — or maybe even get aggressive and trade with the Chicago Bears to select USC's Caleb Williams at No. 1 overall.

Kirk Cousins, at 35 years old and coming off an Achilles tear, carries some significant red flags. He can’t be seen as the team’s starter for the next 10 years, even in an era where Tom Brady just showed that was attainable for players with a manic obsession for taking care of their bodies.

Cousins is, however, the clear top veteran option available, and when we last saw him at the NFL Honors, he was doing a dance number less than 100 days after tearing his Achilles.

Washington's roster features a lot of talent, particularly in the form of offensive weapons, that could turn things around quickly with a good quarterback. New coaches Dan Quinn and Kliff Kingsbury are potentially also better suited to a veteran at the position rather than the unknown of a rookie face of the franchise.

If the Commanders were to simply replicate the kind of deal Cousins coveted during his time in Minnesota — a three-year, fully guaranteed contract — it would make sense for both sides.

It would also free up the No. 2 overall draft pick and make Washington open for trade business.

Commanders_MDS.png

Oh God, not the Kirk stuff again. A guy who is 36, and only won one playoff game with far more pieces around him than we have? And for a large amount of money? Why? 

Did anyone watch Quarterback on Netflix? While he said nice things, I don't think he would want to come back to Washington. He said that chapter was closed.

• Like 3

Same logic applies to us as the Patriots IMO. If our evaluation is there is a potential franchise QB available at #2 overall you take him. 

If that applies signing an expensive free agency QB makes no sense on a number of levels. First if you draft a QB that high he is playing sooner rather than later - the most he will sit is his rookie year and it’s odds on he starts opening day of his rookie season. Second you just used up a lot of cap space you could have used to build the roster around your rookie.

Makes no sense. Unless the evaluation is you don’t like the QBs at the top of the draft and I think almost everyone thinks that there are 3 guys who at least have a chance to be franchise type QBs in this draft.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Oh God, not the Kirk stuff again. A guy who is 36, and only won one playoff game with far more pieces around him than we have? And for a large amount of money? Why? 

Did anyone watch Quarterback on Netflix? While he said nice things, I don't think he would want to come back to Washington. He said that chapter was closed.

The only real upside I see with that scenario is loading up on picks and still drafting McCarthy in the 2nd round, especially given the fact multiple people here want to trade back and draft him in in the top 10.

I'd still be disturbed if we decided to go this route.  And agree the point is probably moot as Kirk most likely wouldn't want to come back regardless.

We will know a lot more when FA starts.  If we sign Cousins, then we MAY have a better idea on which way we are leaning with the #2 pick.  Then again, we may still pick Maye with #2 and trade down with our next pick.  FA MIGHT give us some clues.  

This is Peter's first draft.  His gems come in the mid/later part of the draft.  

Edited by RWJ

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ugh, no thanks.

Commanders_MDS.png

Not interested in a 35 year old Kirk. But I would be okay with that trade down if you could really get JJ. in the second (spoiler alert; zero chance)

But there should be more in the trade down as well. the second pick in this draft should be a minimum of an RG3 package to trade out of not only the top QBs but Harrison as well. Throw in another 1st. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Not interested in a 35 year old Kirk. But I would be okay with that trade down if you could really get JJ. in the second (spoiler alert; zero chance)

But there should be more in the trade down as well. the second pick in this draft should be a minimum of an RG3 package to trade out of not only the top QBs but Harrison as well. Throw in another 1st. 

I think there’s a higher chance of JJ being there in the second than us signing Kirk 

29 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

But, once again, the issue with Daniels isn't solved by "slide more." The issue is the way he takes hits. He lacks the instinct to protect himself and his body has the tendency to whiplash himself when he does. Those aren't things that can be coached away.

You'd just as well ask Caleb Williams "Have you considered being a couple inches taller?"

Some guys know how to crash a motorcycle and walk away from it. Others don't. The solution for the guys who can't? More "avoid crashing" and less "guess I'll die".

Even if you view things that way, the obvious solution to that would be to take less hits.

-Slide more and have it be a natural motion so he is unafraid to pull it out of the bag

-Don't run 80% of the time when you break the pocket, get the ball outta your hands to a receiver instead.

That stuff adds up and would reduce the hits he would otherwise take.

And if he gets hit less, then the inability to take a hit is mitigated more and more.

And if you ever get him to the point where he is pretty good at protecting himself, then it aint much of a problem at all.

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Some guys know how to crash a motorcycle and walk away from it. Others don't. The solution for the guys who can't? More "avoid crashing" and less "guess I'll die".

Even if you view things that way, the obvious solution to that would be to take less hits.

-Slide more and have it be a natural motion so he is unafraid to pull it out of the bag

-Don't run 80% of the time when you break the pocket, get the ball outta your hands to a receiver instead.

That stuff adds up and would reduce the hits he would otherwise take.

And if he gets hit less, then the inability to take a hit is mitigated more and more.

And if you ever get him to the point where he is pretty good at protecting himself, then it aint much of a problem at all.

LOL. An NFL QB is going to get hit a lot. A running QB even more so. You want to "mitigate" it by having take a few percent less hits? Great. Does;t really charge anything. 

And you want to take a QB who's straight is running and then tell him o stop running the ball so much? 

I really don't get the knots people are turning themselves in to justify this pick. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Just going off of the old trade value chart, our two second rounders combined are worth about the number 15 overall. Anybody you could see dropping that far that would be worth two second round picks?

I would do it for Guyton. 

30 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Some guys know how to crash a motorcycle and walk away from it. Others don't. 

Low side versus high side 😉

Even the very best sometimes don’t get a choice on that if something breaks or someone else does something stupid. 

37 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Just going off of the old trade value chart, our two second rounders combined are worth about the number 15 overall. Anybody you could see dropping that far that would be worth two second round picks?

Brian Thomas Jr. think he’s like 6’4, not Anthony mix tall, but he’ll do nicely. Could also get him later than 15, so something like our 2nd and 3rd for a move up in the 18-22 range.

2 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

This may be a controversial take, but I would also like any QB we take at #2 to sit behind Sam (or whoever starts) for the first year to learn. I know when a QB is taken that high, there is pressure to start him right away but rarely does that seem to work even with the most talented players.

the only thing any rookie QB would learn from Sam is how to be terrible and how to throw pick 6s all the time.  Hard pass on this.   Also, I think the rest of the team would probably start an uprising if this were the case.  Last season was already spent as a lost season because somehow the coaches couldn’t move on from Sam, and now you want to continue to still tie the Sam Howell albatross around this team’s neck for another season?  No thank you.

28 minutes ago, Blanka said:

I feel like I’m on Punk’d with all the JJ McCarthy stuff

Not sure why. It’s a conversation. Sometimes the best QB isn’t the most heralded, sometimes it is. Who knows. All these dudes have warts.

If you’d like, we can continue discussing Caleb Williams nail polish, Drake Maye being tall and Jayden Daniels being one hit away from scrambled eggs for the 800th page in a row.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Not only that. With our current O-Line this moves seems suicidal.

KC would not last three games before going to IR.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Not sure why. It’s a conversation. Sometimes the best QB isn’t the most heralded, sometimes it is. Who knows. All these dudes have warts.

If you’d like, we can continue discussing Caleb Williams nail polish, Drake Maye being tall and Jayden Daniels being one hit away from scrambled eggs for the 800th page in a row.

I don’t mind talk I’m referring to what some see in him.

I actually dig JJ the dude I like his disposition. Outside of the intangibles I just don’t see it, at all. That’s where it feels like I’m watching a totally different player. There’s just a disconnect for me.

10 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

the only thing any rookie QB would learn from Sam is how to be terrible and how to throw pick 6s all the time.  Hard pass on this.   Also, I think the rest of the team would probably start an uprising if this were the case.  Last season was already spent as a lost season because somehow the coaches couldn’t move on from Sam, and now you want to continue to still tie the Sam Howell albatross around this team’s neck for another season?  No thank you.

I do think this is something to consider. 

I think the team likes Sam and wanted to be supportive but you could definitely feel and see their frustration growing the back half of the season. There was definitely a shift in the energy when Jacoby came in.