Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I wouldn’t sleep on a QB like McCarthy, kid is a winner I have no problem drafting down taking him with the intention of getting good talent around him and building the team. 

I could provide a list of QBs who won big in College who couldn't play in the NFL - but even the internet does not have enough space for that list.

McCarthy might have a good NFL skillset - i'm dubious - but his ability to win in College does not make any difference to that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I will take things that are not going to happen for $500.

We need a QB - if there is a QB available at #2 worth a team trading two firsts and second for why would not just take that QB?

Everyone is going to want us to be idiots to build intrigue for a top ten that's probably going to be super chalky.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The 49ers didn't need a great QB to beat the Chiefs in that game.  They just needed to either not have an extra point blocked or not muff a punt.

How about when purdy and the offense continually stalled in the 2nd half? They had every opportunity to drive the dagger into the chiefs and couldn't score any points off of two KC turnovers

If this doesn’t prove that having the better QB is more important than having the more stacked roster, I don’t know what will.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Everyone is going to want us to be idiots to build intrigue for a top ten that's probably going to be super chalky.

The Bears are taking a QB @#1 - it will be Williams. We are taking a QB at #2. The only question is which one - most likely by far is its Maye.

• Like 3

Just now, WashingtonRedWolves said:

How about when purdy and the offense continually stalled in the 2nd half? They had every opportunity to drive the dagger into the chiefs and couldn't score any points off of two KC turnovers

If this doesn’t prove that having the better QB is more important than having the more stacked roster, I don’t know what will.

Mahomes did not play very well in that game, and his offense only scored 14 points, 7 of which were a gift from a muffed punt on the 16 yard line.  They only sustained three drives in a five quarter game.  He also turned it over and took awful sacks and had a grounding penalty.  Until that final drive in OT, he didn't outplay Purdy.

Why are people acting like Mahomes was some unbeatable force of nature who put up 5 TDs last night?

That stacked 49ers roster also lost five players over the course of the game, and had an injured Kittle and Samuel still out there trying to get open against a dominant secondary.  This was not some big mismatch between a loaded roster vs a crap roster with a great QB.  The Chiefs are loaded too, and also have a way better OL and Secondary than SF.  And they have better coaching on both sides of the ball.  And despite those advantages plus a major advantage at QB, that game was a pick em that came down to a couple of key special teams plays to determine the outcome.  If anything, that game and the takes coming in response to it are a clear demonstration of how much people overestimate the individual impact of QB in football.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Until that final drive in OT, he didn't outplay Purdy.

But this is all that matters. He outplayed him at the single most important time in the game and came up extremely clutch to drive them down the field for the game winning TD, akin to a vintage Brady performance. In the end, mahomes took the game into his own hands. After that, how he played earlier goes out the window 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

26 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Another mock draft:

1. Bears - Williams

2. Commanders - Maye

3. Falcons (via trade up) - Daniels

4. Cardinals - MHJ

5. Vikings (via trade up) - McCarthy

I could see the Falcons trade up for Daniels, but I'm highly dubious about McCarthy as a top 5 pick.

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Why are people acting like Mahomes was some unbeatable force of nature who put up 5 TDs last night?

It's not that. What people are so enamored about is how in the 4th qaurter and in overtime, when the game was on the line, he put on a clinic.

On every important play, he was the one Andy Reid had the play dialed up for and mahomes made the right decision and executed flawlessly every time when it mattered most.

In the 4th quarter and in ot, mahomes was the best player on the field by far and every could tell.

That's why everyone is stroking mahomes this morning and it's definitely justified. 

Edited by mac8887
  • Like 4

Last night definitively answered for me the dilemma of whether to build up the team around an average QB or go immediately for the hotshot QB prospect in the draft.

Purdy couldn't get it done when the game was on the line, and Mahomes did.

Edited by profusion

55 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

If anything, that game and the takes coming in response to it are a clear demonstration of how much people overestimate the individual impact of QB in football.

Sure, Mahomes could've lost last night, and his team did get crushed by Tampa in a SB. But the Chiefs reaching at least the semifinals in each of his six years as a starter has not happened without him being one of the best QBs of all time.

• Like 1

So here are some more updates. I'm still working on my analytics. The clustering (grouping) stuff may not be as exciting because that will just start arguments. its honestly just more mathematical than I thought it would be. But it is still fun. That said, I have been able to compute stuff like

- completions

- attempts

- completion percentage

- yards per attempt

- yards per completion

- adjusted yards per attempt

- Passing TDs

- Passing Yards

- Interceptions

- Fumbles

- n yard passes where n is a multiple of 10

- sack %

- int %

- TDs in each game

- interceptions in each game

- n yard rushes where n is a multiple of 10

- number of times sacks

- yards lost due to sacks

- average yards per sack

- 3rd down completions

- 3rd down attempts

- 3rd down completion %

- 3rd down TDs 

- 3rd down yards

- 3rd down interceptions

So while the actual clustering metric is not quite as strong as I want it to be, I like these features because I can just look at these college QBs from an angle I cold not look at them before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Since we are talking about Purdy, some breakdown videos that I watched this morning.

Drake Maye

Jayden Daniels

It's interesting because this was his report on:

Brock Purdy (he called it before EVERYON

Please stop confusing me with the Johnson's and the Purdy's

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I could see the Falcons trade up for Daniels, but I'm highly dubious about McCarthy as a top 5 pick.

I don't know, we keep hearing about how teams are a lot higher on McCarthy than regular folks. I have trouble seeing him top 5 too but I am starting to think he is 100% going in the top 10.

I also think if Maye is there, the Patriots take him. He fits the kind of QB that team typically likes. If he's not, they likely trade down and maybe take someone like Bo Nix later.

21 hours ago, dunfer said:

we wont trade much to swap spots anyways. weve got 3 guys to choose from and are sitting in second spot. we win

M Davis has the creepiest hair. shaving that off should be one of our demands

Has a real cuts his hair with a butter knife Keith Van Horn/Captain Kangaroo vibe. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Says a guy whose paid zero attention to QB related rule changes over the past 25 years. Teams aren't stupid, they know its a cheat code, and far more valuable than any talented player with a higher grade if you hit by miles and miles and miles. Turned around the Colts INSTANTLY in 2012. Turned around the Redskins INSTANTLY in 2012. Turned the chiefs into a stuck franchise with Alex Smith into a perpetual contender for six consecutive years with Mahomes. Turned around the Bengals INSTANTLY after having been trash for nearly 20 years after Pittsburgh tore Carson Palmer's knee apart decades ago. The Bills said goodbye to Jimy Kelly and vanished for 20 years, only to rise again after drafting and developing Josh Allen. We could go on and on and on, Watson and the Texans, and now Stroud and the Texans, Baker and the Browns first playoff win in nearly 40 years. 

It's a cheat code, simple as that. Nothing else has close to multiplying effect of hitting on a franchise QB in the draft, it's basically like playing Texas Hold 'Em, but suddenly having exclusive rights to a pair of joker cards thrown in the deck. Teams reach for QB's for a reason. If you hit, it is fundamentally transformative, and improves your chances to contend by orders of magnitude. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, MartinC said:

Yes. Not that Purdy played badly overall (had a freezing cold 3rd quarter though), but take out Mahomes and that Chiefs offense is very very average. Kelce is their only elite player - Mahomes puts that team on his back and carries them. The 49ers are a far better football team top to bottom, but Mahomes is the best QB in the league.

I would argue it's outright below average. Solid enough OL, but WR2, and WR3, and WR4 are all terrible, WR1 is a B-1, TE is an aging former TE1 overall who was more like a TE 12-15 this year, Pacheco was a huge hit as I think a day 3 pick at RB, but that doesn't mean he's a top 10-15 RB in the league. His weapons are terrible, that win is 100% Mahomes+the defense+Reid. That's it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

But this is all that matters. He outplayed him at the single most important time in the game and came up extremely clutch to drive them down the field for the game winning TD, akin to a vintage Brady performance. In the end, mahomes took the game into his own hands. After that, how he played earlier goes out the window 

I don’t think anybody is downplaying what it means to have Pat Mahomes at QB.  But there’s only one of them.  

For as great as he is, last night wouldn’t be the game I’d use as an example for anything.  He was stifled and forced into uncharacteristic errors, and lucky to even have a chance to take it down and get the W in OT.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t think anybody is downplaying what it means to have Pat Mahomes at QB.  But there’s only one of them.  

For as great as he is, last night wouldn’t be the game I’d use as an example for anything.  He was stifled and forced into uncharacteristic errors, and lucky to even have a chance to take it down and get the W in OT.

His whole season was down compared to where he typically is, and he wasn't even one of the top five QBs this year.  Seventh in MVP voting, finishing behind freaking Dak Prescott.  And that's an important point: even the best of these guys are human with variable levels of play.  They aren't aliens who maintain invincible standards and single handedly win games for their teams.  They have to be supported by a whole lot of other players and coaches who are also elite, and Patrick Mahomes certainly is, and has been his entire career.  It's how he's been able to enjoy so much team success.  And the gap between the top QBs in the league is far smaller than people recognize when they base their assessment so heavily on team success, and in any given year Burrow could be the best QB in the NFL and lead his team on a dominant run.  Allen could.  Jackson could.  So on and so forth.  The separation between them in the final result of their season comes down to how lucky they are in the quality and health of the team surrounding them at the end.  Mahomes wouldn't have even made it to the AFC championship game this year if Buffalo hadn't been wrecked with injuries and down to an eight string linebacker.  There is so much contingency involved in these results that gets ignored when people rank these guys against each other based on things like rings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Im just glad were not in the AFC. 

First team to get a superstar QB in the NFC will

be running it for the next decade.

Time to take our shot.

Yep, it reminds me of the eighties, when the AFC got all the talent out of the famed '83 class (and even Boomer out of '84, although the Niners did eventually get steve young out of that one, I think it was that one anyway via a trade with Tampa), currently the NFC is pretty bereft. What's the last big time QB in a draft they've hit on if you don't buy Purdy? Maybe Hurts and Kyler and neither of those are home runs in the same way as Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes, Josh Allen etc?   It aint great and they missed on Stroud last spring too, as well as Richardson.  The only great young QB's in the conference are Kyler, Hurts, Purdy, maybe Love (I'm still a bit of a skeptic) and that's it. It is really wide open, with us and Chicago in the cat bird seat for the next guy, if we hit. 

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Since we are talking about Purdy, some breakdown videos that I watched this morning.

Drake Maye

Jayden Daniels

It's interesting because this was his report on:

Brock Purdy (he called it before EVERYONE)

Damn, this guy should be an NFL scout.   I'm hoping Adam Peters is taking note 🙂