Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Maye or Daniels- this is what separates good scouting departments, front offices, and coaching staffs from others. It is going to be a critical decision. Only because we have a new owner do I hope we get it right. I guarantee that one of those two QBs ends up being not good.

I don't pretend to know. Haven't seen either one play.

They could both hit you know so nobody would be wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

56 QBs still in the playoffs were drafted in the 1st round?...Whoa.

Funny how they can put numbers up but not names next to them. The quarterbacks taken top 2 were Baker Mayfield, Jarred Goff and Stroud. I would say 1-3 would be a franchise guy. Stroud could be in for a rude awakening when he loses his OC just like Hurts was this year.

We are so fortunate with the timing of this QB decision.  If Snyder were still the owner, there is a 1,000% chance we would be picking Daniels over Maye regardless of what the "football guys" wanted (assuming we didn't give away 3 first round picks to trade up for Williams) .  

At least now we can trust that whatever decision we make is based on a sound process led by the "football guys".  That's all most of us have ever wanted, and I'm sure we can all live with whatever they decide.

• Like 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

We are so fortunate with the timing of this QB decision.  If Snyder were still the owner, there is a 1,000% chance we would be picking Daniels over Maye regardless of what the "football guys" wanted (assuming we didn't give away 3 first round picks to trade up for Williams) .  

At least now we can trust that whatever decision we make is based on a sound process led by the "football guys".  That's all most of us have ever wanted, and I'm sure we can all live with whatever they decide.

Naa, Snyder would trade away multiple firsts to move up a spot to get Williams because he used to live down the street or something.

• Like 2

What’s wild to me is DC’s started deploying the same strategy used against this team on the Eagles.  Absolutely no answers for the blitz.  They had to know it was coming, after both Wink and Quinn blitzed the hell out of them down the stretch to great success.

Got Jalen Hurts looking mad average.  How these OC’s fail to have their teams prepared to counter this stuff is beyond me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What’s wild to me is DC’s started deploying the same strategy used against this team on the Eagles.  Absolutely no answers for the blitz.  They had to know it was coming, after both Wink and Quinn blitzed the hell out of them down the stretch to great success.

Got Jalen Hurts looking mad average.  How these OC’s fail to have their teams prepared to counter this stuff is beyond me. 

It's not always the OC.  Sometimes the plan is there and the players aren't good enough to execute it.

And here's the thing: if your QB can't beat the blitz, every team is going to blitz the hell out of you until he figures it out or somebody else is playing.  

Because you can't run a team out of blitzing.  They'll just blitz and play run on the way to the QB, they're going to have a lot of players at or around the LOS, which makes running harder also.

To get a team to stop blitzing like crazy, you have to make them pay for it by taking advantage of the 1:1 matchups or the guys who are going to be open quickly.  

OR you block it up, keep guys in, go max-protect and hope one of your 2 WRs can get open down the field.

On one of the Manningcasts, Peyton said he much preferred to have teams blitz him, and he liked it right in his face, because he knew where it was coming from and where the open guy was going to be.  Eli "aw shucked" his way through agreeing.  If you were going to heat up Peyton, Eli, Rodgers, Brady, etc. you damn well better get home or they were going to make you pay for that transgression. 

If you don't have a QB capable of making a defense pay for blitzing, it's the easiest thing in the world to do to just keep calling it.  

The screen game, quick game, and hot reads are all ways to combat the blitz.  But the QB has to recognize it, react to it, and throw all in less than 2 seconds, and that's tough.

Hurts isn't particularly good at it. Which is why teams keep blitzing him.  He's just got to get better at reading the blitz and knowing where to go with the ball.  Every NFL OC, even EB, has ways to beat the blitz in every NFL offense.  But the QB has to actually be able to execute it.  If Hurts doesn't improve in that area, he's going to be short-lived as a starter.

• Like 2

@Voice_of_Reason 

There’s too much we don’t know about what the QBs have been empowered to do or not do to counter the blitz. 

But I find it unlikely that the QB has the answers in the toolbox.  Even if that’s the case, it’s up to the playcaller to switch it up if they’ve given the QB all the answers, and they still can’t perform.  What I saw out of Philly last night was a lot like I saw much of this season from our team.  An offense being forced to get rid of it fast calling plays that take too much time.

On 1/14/2024 at 2:52 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I’m just going to start talking as if Drake Maye is already on our team.

I’m just going to start talking as if Caleb is already on our team. One of us will be right.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Voice_of_Reason 

There’s too much we don’t know about what the QBs have been empowered to do or not do to counter the blitz. 

But I find it unlikely that the QB has the answers in the toolbox.  Even if that’s the case, it’s up to the playcaller to switch it up if they’ve given the QB all the answers, and they still can’t perform.  What I saw out of Philly last night was a lot like I saw much of this season from our team.  An offense being forced to get rid of it fast calling plays that take too much time.

Maybe. I just think there's an element of execution involved that is often overlooked with a "blame the play caller" attitude.  

Play calling is exceptionally important.  However, the players have to be able to execute as well.  

It's both sides of the coin.  I also think Hurts has been hurt all year.  And that has limited what they can do with his legs to offset some of his limitations elsewhere in his game. 

I wonder if Peters would have any inclination to trade back a bit if he got a kings ransom for #2. There are so may holes to fill on the roster, if they got  another 2 this year and a couple future 1’s, they could maybe get OL help, and one of the QBs after Williams and Maye.  Or sign a guy in FA.  

I don’t know that I would entertain it, but I wonder if there is a deal to be had to move back.  Though it would almost certainly mean passing on the 2 elite prospects in this draft.  But you’d have ammo to move up next year potentially….

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wonder if Peters would have any inclination to trade back a bit if he got a kings ransom for #2. There are so may holes to fill on the roster, if they got  another 2 this year and a couple future 1’s, they could maybe get OL help, and one of the QBs after Williams and Maye.  Or sign a guy in FA.  

I don’t know that I would entertain it, but I wonder if there is a deal to be had to move back.  Though it would almost certainly mean passing on the 2 elite prospects in this draft.  But you’d have ammo to move up next year potentially….

You absolutely HAVE to consider it.

If the price is right...

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, illone said:

You absolutely HAVE to consider it.

If the price is right...

You do not. If there is a QB you believe will be an elite player, you don't even need to listen to offers. 

What do you think someone would have to offer for KC to give up Mahomes or Buffalo Josh Allen? That price doesn't even exist in any sense that is real. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You do not. If there is a QB you believe will be an elite player, you don't even need to listen to offers. 

What do you think someone would have to offer for KC to give up Mahomes or Buffalo Josh Allen? That price doesn't even exist in any sense that is real. 

I think the combo of 1) needing a qb, 2) having the chance to draft a very well regarded qb at 2 (w/o not needing to trade up), and the fact we’d be starting a new HC’s reign with a top notch qb prospect… it’s an absolute no brainer to pick qb at 2.

I think it’s huge for the fanbase as well, although I don’t think that should really be a consideration for FO.  And lastly, we have a lot of resources to improve the talent around the young qb.

Now, if for some reason they don’t see it with the qb that is available?  If they’re worried about scheme fit, or some red flags give them pause?  Highly, highly doubtful IMO, but I suppose there’s at least some sort of chance they wind up preferring a trade back.  Personally, I don’t think it’s worth the time to discuss, but to each their own.  And this is coming from someone that still thinks Howell could be a good qb.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Trading for an unproven draft pick is very different than trading for an established player with Super Bowl wins.

The context here is trading on draft day.

Also, the key to what you said is "If there is a Qb you believe will be an elite player".

What if Peters and company DONT believe any of these QBs are worth the risk at #2 and instead trade down...

My point is if the phone rings with a crazy offer you have to consider it. 

The irony of your post is that KC traded with Buffalo for the rights to draft Mahomes... This was when they had Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman at Qb.  Luckily for them they nabbed Josh Allen the following draft or theyd have been clubbed for years for passing on Mahomes.

Are you suggesting this team should not even answer the phone with regards to trading the #2 pick?

That just seems silly.

Just now, illone said:

Trading for an unproven draft pick is very different than trading for an established player with Super Bowl wins.

Also, the key to what you said is "If there is a Qb you believe will be an elite player".

What if Peters and company DONT believe any of these QBs are worth the risk at #2 and instead trade down...

The irony of your post is that KC traded with Buffalo for the rights to draft Mahomes... This was when they had Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman at Qb.  Luckily for them they nabbed Josh Allen the following draft or theyd have been clubbed for years for passing on Mahomes.

Are you suggesting this team should not even answer the phone with regards to trading the #2 pick?

That just seems silly.

I think my point was clear enough. If you think think there is a franchise QB at that pick, you absolutely do not "have to" consider trading it. 

Just now, illone said:

That just seems silly.

You consider all options, including drafting Harrison at #2. If you like one of the guys like Nix, McCarthy or Penix equally or as close to the big 3 then you trade back and take the King's ransom. Pick up another #1 next year and look at that QB class too. Keep acquiring assets and build over the next 3 drafts while mixing in young free agents who are better than what we have. When you're the 2nd worst team in the league you look at all options...if you don't it's irresponsible. You can always go the safe route in the end. Hell, a smart team would float it out there to the league that we're looking to deal the #2 pick just to attract offers.....even if we're not looking to move it. 

5 minutes ago, illone said:

That just seems silly.

Yeah you answer the phone before running up to the podium regardless if you think theres a good qb to grab or not. There really is no risk in using your pick though. just dont trade up....then you better be 100% correct

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

You consider all options, including drafting Harrison at #2. If you like one of the guys like Nix, McCarthy or Penix equally or as close to the big 3 then you trade back and take the King's ransom. Pick up another #1 next year and look at that QB class too. Keep acquiring assets and build over the next 3 drafts while mixing in young free agents who are better than what we have. When you're the 2nd worst team in the league you look at all options...if you don't it's irresponsible. You can always go the safe route in the end. Hell, a smart team would float it out there to the league that we're looking to deal the #2 pick just to attract offers.....even if we're not looking to move it. 

hopefully were getting the guys in place that know what to do

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

You consider all options...

We're in agreement. It would be malpractice to reach for a QB IMO. It all depends on how you have them evaluated, but you absolutely HAVE to consider all options. If the price is right I'm moving down and stock piling picks. This roster needs more than just a franchise QB.

Just now, illone said:

We're in agreement. It would be malpractice to reach for a QB IMO. It all depends on how you have them evaluated, but you absolutely HAVE to consider all options. If the price is right I'm moving down and stock piling picks. This roster needs more than just a franchise QB.

Look at this possibility, Chicago takes Williams and NE offers us #3, 2024 2nd, 2025 1st and 2025 4th. 

NE takes Daniels.

We then have the option of a). taking Maye, b). taking Harrison or c). trading back again for another 1st next year and another 2nd this year.

The possibilities are endless....we could end up with three 1sts next year, the top OL in this draft and Bo Nix or McCarthy in round 2.

If we can be sure that NE and Chicago are both taking players we don't necessarily need to have then we should try to bluff NE into trading with us to get their #1 next season. Then, sitting at #3 we may get another motherload of an offer because Harrison will still be sitting there as will Daniels or Maye. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Look at this possibility, Chicago takes Williams and NE offers us #3, 2024 2nd, 2025 1st and 2025 4th. 

NE takes Daniels.

We then have the option of a). taking Maye, b). taking Harrison or c). trading back again for another 1st next year and another 2nd this year.

The possibilities are endless....we could end up with three 1sts next year, the top OL in this draft and Bo Nix or McCarthy in round 2.

If we can be sure that NE and Chicago are both taking players we don't necessarily need to have then we should try to bluff NE into trading with us to get their #1 next season. Then, sitting at #3 we may get another motherload of an offer because Harrison will still be sitting there as will Daniels or Maye. 

how likely is that scenario? lets just trade them sam for the #3 then

Only guys looking to trade with us probably wont be in the top 4

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dunfer said:

how likely is that scenario? lets just trade them sam for the #3 then

Only guys looking to trade with us probably wont be in the top 4

It's an example, no need for the ridiculous Sam comment. And you have no idea who would want to deal with us the same as I don't. It's a game of bluffing and trying to win the draft. 

• Like 1