Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Amazing if you could. Otherwise he would be too effective

Can't exactly tell Killer to go maul the QB w/o drawing some kind of roughing penalty.

mqdefault.jpg.8f1b6537fbd7ee9aef33e259c6ce10bf.jpg

One of the greatest referee calls ever, I think they should have made this into official ref language.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I’d definitely rather move back and get more capital then move up 1 spot and give it up… just my opinion though “if we do decide to do something instead of standing pat at 2”

Edited by Command The 414

DO NOT TRADE UP on a prayer one QB is way better than the other. Do not trade down and water down the talent of our picks. We have plenty of decent picks already.

Is this the all time consensus deepest draft in every round? No - then don't trade down.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

DO NOT TRADE UP. Do not trade down and water the talent of our picks. We have plenty of decent picks already.

Is this the all time consensus deepest draft in every round? No - then don't trade down.

I tend to agree here, but worth mentioning that we now have a GM known for finding diamonds in later rounds, so maybe (hopefully) our past isn’t prologue…

Edited by skinny21
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I tend to agree here, but worth mentioning that we now have a GM known for finding diamonds in later rounds, so maybe (hopefully) our past isn’t prologue…

I don't mind a trade down in round 5 or 6 when we are damn sure the guy we want will still be there. What we never hear about - a trade down and then the guy we really wanted got snagged and we take a consolation pick and pretend like it wasn't a failure. I wonder how much a diamond in the rough panning out is a result of excellent coaching... post draft.

Our shiny new GM should land total studs with our existing picks. If he can add an extra stud late round sure go for it but I am not on board on selling our #2 OA. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

DO NOT TRADE UP on a prayer one QB is way better than the other. Do not trade down and water down the talent of our picks. We have plenty of decent picks already.

I think it all depends on how our GM, scouts, and coaches have the QBs graded. if they have a much higher grade on Williams than any of the others and truly believe he's the guy, then I wouldn't be upset if they went and got him as long as it wasn't an astronomical amount to move up one spot.

Otherwise, I agree. If they have multiple QBs graded relatively close, then just stay at 2 and take whoever wasn't taken at 1.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

That's cool, if I'm wrong I'll eat crow.  But I still think it's ridiculous and I'm not so sure NE is as stupid as the Bears were.  I'm going to bank on us drafting a QB at #2 and not trading back.   

16 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

That's cool, if I'm wrong I'll eat crow.  But I still think it's ridiculous and I'm not so sure NE is as stupid as the Bears were.  I'm going to bank on us drafting a QB at #2 and not trading back.   

There's no right or wrong, it's all about what the options are and how good the prospects are in the eyes of our new regime. 

4 minutes ago, illone said:

I totally forgot that Chicago traded back with San Fran to acquire Trubisky...  The irony is that Maye and Trubisky are both UNC guys. 😂

We need intel on who NE wants as their next QB and if it's not the same guy we want we need to fleece them into trading up one spot. I'll bet Peters is good at this game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

We need intel on who NE wants as their next QB and if it's not the same guy we want we need to fleece them into trading up one spot. I'll bet Peters is good at this game. 

yep! Sign me up. 

and then trade back again to draft JJ McCarthy. 

lets gooooo!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Jesus the ads on that site....figured we were trading for some nose hair clippers for that geezer.   A summary text next time will suffice.   lol

Ads are personalized based on your cookies and browsing history. The details of your facial hair grooming fetish history and your subsequent ad experience on si.com  are yours and yours alone.

Damn. I wonder what ads i will get now that I replied to you. 😂 

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Ads are personalized based on your cookies and browsing history. The details of your facial hair grooming fetish history and your subsequent ad experience on si.com  are yours and yours alone.

Damn. I wonder what ads i will get now that I replied to you. 😂 

I expected this response fo sho.  I don't browse for nose clippers for men....now if it was back issues of Sofia Vergara or Sidney Sweeney then sure.  

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

McCarthy has the look and feel of a 10 year journeyman backup. Hardest of passes.

Better footwork, accuracy and pocket awareness than your man crush, and better on 3rd down. Plus the dude is just a winner.

Younger, too.

We wont know for a couple years unless he starts right away, but I think he has potential to be special in the NFL.

This kid is pretty calm cool and collected for a 10 year journeyman backup 😂.  

His frame isn't nfl ready yet, and I think he is shorter and lighter than his listed 6'3" 202 lbs, but he could bulk up.

Ideal camp competition for Howell.

Count me in on JJ.  There is just something about this kid. You wont be able to find many plays of him drifting back in the pocket or holding the ball too long.. He is ALWAYS moving forward, always attacking.

Michigan didnt ask him to do much since they won with defense and running game, so I get the knock that he didnt throw alot and the box score wont jump up and smash you in the face like the "big 3", but look at the throws he DID make with the game on the line.  When he was asked to deliver with his arm, he did. Nothing super electric or flashy.  Just consistent high execution when it mattered.

I HATE michigan football btw. I wanted to hate this kid, but there is something here that I cant deny...

• Like 2

Nothing really pops at all when I watch McCarthy. Pretty good and consistent mechanics, good (but a little wide) base, though with a sort of long wind up delivery. Seems to play well within the system, but wasn't asked to do all that much. Pretty calm under pressure. Average at best arm...you can see on intermediate routes where he needs to get the ball there he really has to step into the throw and give it his all to make it a dart. 

Also, I mostly check out as soon as i hear the "he's just a winner" thing thrown out there. That's basically code for "He doesn't really do much or put up big numbers but he's on a team that wins so I'll put that out there as if it means something." McCarthy was on a team with a beastly defense and running game. He was asked to throw occasionally and not make too many mistakes, which he did.

I feel like he has the ceiling of an average starter or a quality backup in the NFL Mac Jones level guy. But who knows, maybe he's a gem that wasn't asked to do much, but could if he had been. I guess we'll see what our scouts and FO think. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1

I am refusing to buy into Caleb with 99.4% of experts yelling from rooftops he's the best QB in the draft. Fool me once shame on me from drafts past. He seems more the best athlete? and targeting athletes hasn't really worked out here. I hope Chicago is listening to all the experts. This popped up in my feed today.

https://firstroundmock.com/2024/01/former-nfl-scout-caleb-williams-is-a-bust/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am refusing to buy into Caleb with 99.4% of experts yelling from rooftops he's the best QB in the draft. Fool me once shame on me from drafts past. He seems more the best athlete? and targeting athletes hasn't really worked out here. I hope Chicago is listening to all the experts. This popped up in my feed today.

https://firstroundmock.com/2024/01/former-nfl-scout-caleb-williams-is-a-bust/

You must really hate Jayden Daniels, then.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Nothing really pops at all when I watch McCarthy. Pretty good and consistent mechanics, good (but a little wide) base, though with a sort of long wind up delivery. Seems to play well within the system, but wasn't asked to do all that much. Pretty calm under pressure. Average at best arm...you can see on intermediate routes where he needs to get the ball there he really has to step into the throw and give it his all to make it a dart. 

Also, I mostly check out as soon as i hear the "he's just a winner" thing thrown out there. That's basically code for "He doesn't really do much or put up big numbers but he's on a team that wins so I'll put that out there as if it means something." McCarthy was on a team with a beastly defense and running game. He was asked to throw occasionally and not make too many mistakes, which he did.

I feel like he has the ceiling of an average starter or a quality backup in the NFL Mac Jones level guy. But who knows, maybe he's a gem that wasn't asked to do much, but could if he had been. I guess we'll see what our scouts and FO think. 

I actually think McCarthy has a real solid foundation for long term sustainability and success in the NFL. But he doesn’t have enough to be taken high in the draft and he’s too risky to wait to take. 

If we were picking in the 20s naturally I wouldn’t be opposed. But we aren’t.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You must really hate Jayden Daniels, then.

I actually think McCarthy has a real solid foundation for long term sustainability and success in the NFL. But he doesn’t have enough to be taken high in the draft and he’s too risky to wait to take. 

If we were picking in the 20s naturally I wouldn’t be opposed. But we aren’t.

What about trading back from 2 to 6, then 10, taking Fuaga at 10 and McCarthy with our first 2nd and ending up with multiple firsts next year and more day two/three picks this year.

Then we start Howell or bring in Wilson and redshirt McCarthy. Let him learn the system and grow into it, while building a solid young team for him to step into, while being very competitive.