Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

42 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Daniels is a much much better passer than Lamar was coming out of college. Lamar was inaccurate at every level and ran before even getting to his first read while playing in a weaker conference. While Daniels might not be as good of a runner, he would immediately be top 3 runner in the NFL at QB (and again, the only two people to top his speed this year in the NFL were Achane and Tyreek Hill)

I like JD I just cant get the "RG3 career arc" out of my head with this kid. 

I'd be shocked if this group risked the top pick on him, but crazier things have happened.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, klwilkins1977 said:

My bet is on Peter's drafting an OT with the #2 pick and taking a chance with Howell learning under an OC with a more balanced attack and a better OL. It's not the popular (at least not popular with E.S.), but it is the BEST option: taking a Tackle who will be able to be plugged in for 10-12 years and be an almost certain All-Pro.

There is enough meat left on the Howell bone (giggitty) to warrant giving Howell another look.  The kid almost threw for 4k... and showed long flashes of brilliance. Don't forget there was Pro Bowl talk surrounding him before the prolonged TEAM slide.  

There isn't a person here who can make a case that our OL can afford to pass on either of Fashanu or Alt. We know what Howell can do behind a bad line.  What can he do with a more balanced scheme and a better line?  We need to know before we let him go.

This is an outstanding idea. I remember when we had Chris Samuels at LT and then Trent and we won all those Super Bowls because we had that Tackle position locked down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, illone said:

I like JD I just cant get the "RG3 career arc" out of my head with this kid. 

I'd be shocked if this group risked the top pick on him, but crazier things have happened.

Yeah hes just such an injury risk with his body type and play style. 

Id take him if we were picking 3rd but theres no way Id pass on Maye for JD. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dexter said:

I'm just glad I'm not calling the shots because this is an ultra hard draft to navigate for us.

It's the biggest no brainer draft that I can remember.  We lucked into the second pick in a two blue chip QB draft, and need to build around a QB with a new regime.  The total clarity of path for how to start our rebuild is the biggest reason we were able to swing the most talented prospective GM candidate in the league this off-season.  Folks are kidding themselves if they don't think that's the case.

This is our decision flow chart:

Is Caleb Williams available at 2?

If yes, draft him.

If no, draft Drake Maye.

That's it.  After we make this pick, we will have such a massive head start on our build that we will have a team building purpose that DC fans haven't really known before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It's the biggest no brainer draft that I can remember.  We lucked into the second pick in a two blue chip QB draft, and need to build around a QB with a new regime.  The total clarity of path for how to start our rebuild is the biggest reason we were able to swing the most talented prospective GM candidate in the league this off-season.  Folks are kidding themselves if they don't think that's the case.

If yes, draft him.

If no, draft Drake Maye.

That's it.  After we make this pick, we will have such a massive head start on our build that we will have a team building purpose that DC fans haven't really known before.

Yep exactly. The only thing Ill disagree with is that Id still consider Daniels blue chip as well. Well, hes below Maye and Williams for me, so maybe more like slightly purple-ish chip, but you get the picture

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep exactly. The only thing Ill disagree with is that Id still consider Daniels blue chip as well. Well, hes below Maye and Williams for me, so maybe more like slightly purple-ish chip, but you get the picture

He's a good prospect, and a strong consolation for whoever picks QB3, but he became irrelevant to our purpose when we moved into the #2 draft slot.  Williams and Maye are a tier above him.  They are the wire to wire #1 and #2 pick true blue chip prospects.  Usually you only get one guy like this in a class, and usually it's only like once every four years or so.  Getting #2 in a year where there were two of them was franchise changing good fortune.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

He's a good prospect, and a strong consolation for whoever picks QB3, but he became irrelevant to our purpose when we moved into the #2 draft slot.  Williams and Maye are a tier above him.  They are the wire to wire #1 and #2 pick true blue chip prospects.  Usually you only get one guy like this in a class, and usually it's only like once every four years or so.  Getting #2 in a year where there were two of them was franchise changing good fortune.

Yep it really does feel like the universe rewarding us after Snyders departure. 

I cant wait to pair Maye with Johnson or Slowik and run roughshod over the division for the next decade.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is an outstanding idea. I remember when we had Chris Samuels at LT and then Trent and we won all those Super Bowls because we had that Tackle position locked down.

San Fran is about to go the SB again with Trent and a QB who was selected in the 7th round. hmmmm lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zCommander said:

San Fran is about to go the SB again with Trent and a QB who was selected in the 7th round. hmmmm lol

Oh joy. We're back to using the exception as the basis for an argument. Couldn't have seen that one coming from 900 miles away..

A guy a couple of towns over won the lottery recently. Clearly that means I should quit my job and just play the lotto every day as him winning shows that it's the best way to make money.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Long three months.

This QB talk is exhausting. Part of the forum experience, I guess.

Wish we could contain it better but it fits in so many different threads...

Yeah Im gonna try to avoid talking about QB in the draft thread. Theres no point until at least the combine, private workouts, interviews with teams etc. 

• Like 2

Almost feels like we need these two threads to allow the draft thread to mostly focus on our other picks/prospects: 

1. OFFICIAL 2024 NFL DRAFT Trade Down Scenario Thread

2. OFFICIAL 2024 NFL DRAFT QB Prospect Comparison Thread

If people dig this idea I have no problem starting these threads with well-detailed OP’s later on when I get home. Or if someone else does it first, perfect. Or if people dislike the idea, also cool. 

EDIT: it seems the consensus is to try to keep QB prospect talk here, other prospect talk in the Comprehensive Draft Thread, and trade down talk kinda crosses all over but mainly in the #2 Draft Position thread. I think that works if people make an active effort 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Almost feels like we need these two threads to allow this thread to mostly focus on our other picks/prospects:

Yeah, one problem I see with that though is the trade down scenario will potentially begin with taking a QB in the second tier.  

23 minutes ago, Conn said:

Almost feels like we need these two threads to allow this thread to mostly focus on our other picks/prospects:

If people dig this idea I have no problem starting these threads with well-detailed OP’s later on when I get home. Or if someone else does it first, perfect. Or if people dislike the idea, also cool. 

Here's how I see it:

Comprehensive draft thread: Use to talk about general draft prospects across the board and across the league. What prospects people like and don't like and in what rounds.

Draft position thread: Use to talk about potential trade ups/trade downs, draft position, who other teams might target, general player/position draft value that kinda thing.

QB Thread(this thread): Straight up QB talk. Which ones people want us to draft or not draft, FAs, trade targets etc.

There is a lot of overlapping discussion right now and it makes things confusing.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, Conn said:

I am going to create a draft night thread on the day of the draft. Kind of like a gameday thread. It would give us the ability to grade each pick instead of being centered on just the Commanders picks. I am also going to try to limit my QB talk going forward to this thread. I agree it is pointless to talk about it in the draft thread. We are either drafting Caleb or Maye. 

• Thumb up 1

Folks speaking with so many absolutes this time of year, it’s always interesting to see how it shakes out after workouts and interviews.  It scares me when some folks are so absolute about players when I’ve seen them do this song and dance and be wrong so many times.

I understand the misses are more than the hits, even for the best of them. Just the “X is this and will be that” proclamations get so carried away this time of year.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

If yes, draft him.

If no, draft Drake Maye.

Without question one of the strangest things I've seen but honestly I think in some cases, people are little less read in, and some fans just don't like the QB's period, and are very hopeful/wishcasting, that a QB selection doesn't happen and are willing to ignore the obvious to make it so. 

We were #1 or #2 on every single list of the most desirable locations for a new GM/Coaching hire to go. Why? The team was horrible, has a putrid roster and just had one of its two worst seasons in the past decade?

Simple, unless its San Diego, w/---- owners, but a legit franchise QB in place, Washington had the #2 pick in a draft considered to have two top tier 1 QB prospects (and one wobbly potentially 3rd QB prospect close to that tier), as such, the ability to address the #1 flaw on the roster and necessity for anyone to win was in place.

It's one thing to take over a team with the QB answer in house (San Diego) or a means to address it (washington), and its another thing entirely to take over a franchise with some good players, but zero clear answers at how to solve the clear QB issue (Atlanta). 

That's why our dumpster fire was attractive.

It wasn't attractive so we could trade down, or take one of the two OT prospects with top 10 grades, it was our ability to land a franchise QB on a cheap 5 year contract if he hits. That's literally THE ONLY reason this job was attractive at all (I suppose you can also say that Snyder is gone, and we have good ownership in place, so there's that, compared to say the Spanos family, there's a big difference there, or the idiot in Carolina). That was it. If we had landed a pick in the 4-7 zone like seemed likely in late October and November, and early December this job (GM and coach) would have finished a healthy distance behind equally bad New England, the notorious Bidwill family in Arizona, NYG etc.

The only reason the gig was attractive to anyone was the slot of our pick and the reality that Williams and Maye are in this class. That's it. Full Stop.

It's part of the reason I'm pushed back and forth with engaging with posters indulging fantasies that are 1000% not going to happen, and just ignoring it entirely, and sometimes just posting irritated, long winded pieces like Saturday. Why isn't this understood? Disagree? That's fine, mention the direction you'd prefer, sure, and honestly, i get, its a message board, your free to post anything and its obviously not my place to arguing different. But posting about taking an OT 2nd overall, or going with a FA, and trading down, is not that far off to me from speculating about trading for Wembanyama in the NBA, or CJ Stroud since he already hit etc. There's literally zero chance of the OT idea happening and like 1% chance of the trade down to back of round 1 ideas happening. It's not a case of me just pulling something out of my --- saying it either.

Adam came here because of the 2nd pick and the ability to address the QB problem. Period. Full Stop. That's why. He has the ability to address the biggest problem on the roster, immediately, w/the best way to address it, save already having a franchise QB on a rookie deal in house that's legit. This 2nd pick and the ability to take Williams and Maye is why he's here. If we didn't have the pick, he wouldn't have chosen us, and likely neither would have our #2 target. They aren't going to use the pick on a tackle, or trade down and address multiple needs and get QB later. They're getting the QB. Whether its smart or not is open to debate, kind of, especially if you disagree w/the eval on the QB themself, but beyond that its not much debatable. Not to me anyway. Usually decisions are, but this isn't one that's all that debatable, at least in one they'll do positionally. 

He may trade down or up with the 4 day 2 picks, and 5 picks between slot 36 and around 102 or so, that's the zone where we're likely to see Adam play with our draft capital, moving up and/or down, but at 2? That's gonna be used on a QB. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I don’t watch college, just listen to you guys in here, but a Tight End at 5? Is Brock Bowers that good?

Yes, one of the best TE prospects ever according to most.  He'd be perfect for Herbert and the Chargers.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Folks speaking with so many absolutes this time of year, it’s always interesting to see how it shakes out after workouts and interviews.  It scares me when some folks are so absolute about players when I’ve seen them do this song and dance and be wrong so many times.

I understand the misses are more than the hits, even for the best of them. Just the “X is this and will be that” proclamations get so carried away this time of year.

I agree. I obviously have my preference but none of these QBs are sure bets. They all jave flaws and question marks and I think the interviews, combine, pro days, etc will matter more than ever. Hell, someone might really impress at the Senior Bowl and shoot up the boards 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Mel Kiper's 1st mock draft is out (in his conversation with Field Yates he had Maye above Daniels while Field had Daniels above Maye. Now it seems like Mel has changed his tune)

There’s time yet for Jayden Daniels to get to #1