Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

The thing with Howell that makes it easy for some people to overlook how good he looks—he makes the throws that should be easy, actually look easy. For years when a QB would inaccurately miss a throw on the move, people here would point out “hey that’s actually not an easy throw, you’re just used to seeing the best QB’s on a national stage make it look easy”. And while true, that limitation meant none of those QB’s were very good. Howell…he simply makes those throws that look “easy” from your couch which keeps things on track even when he’s on the move. That’s huge. 

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

58 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Really didn't like the huge arcing teardrop-esque check downs to RB's in the flat by Brisset. The Ravens D stopped that dead immediately. Brisset has to figure out how to get that throw over there quicker. Otherwise just throw the ball away and avoid the RB getting blasted

Yeah, I don’t  know if that's a type of screen or what but I hope if a receiver sees that in the regular season his response  isn't  cstch it and take a multi yard loss but to spike it like a volleyball 

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Really didn't like the huge arcing teardrop-esque check downs to RB's in the flat by Brisset. The Ravens D stopped that dead immediately. Brisset has to figure out how to get that throw over there quicker. Otherwise just throw the ball away and avoid the RB getting blasted

Gave me horrible flashbacks to Jason Candle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Those throws to me didn't make a deal of sense coming from a seasoned qb whose been in the league a long time. My son and I kept wondering why there wasn't more zip on the ball in those situations. You have to get those out quick so the rbs can hit the ground running. With the arc on the pass, the D had time to get to the ball carrier. I was very disappointed by Brisset last night.

Edited by Drfustercluck

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I like Brissett and figure he will be fine...especially if we can improve the Tackle situation.

I can't post enough how much I can't stand not having a QB3 that has redeeming qualities moving forward. 

Hey man, Jake Fromm beat the Ravens. He just wins!

• Haha 10

42 minutes ago, Drfustercluck said:

Those throws to me didn't make a deal of sense coming from a seasoned qb who’ been in the league a long time. My son and I kept wondering why there wasn't more zip on the ball in those situations. You have to get those out quick so the rbs can hit the ground running. With the arc on the pass, the D had time to get to the ball carrier. I was very disappointed by Brisset last night.

He had to get the ball over a rushing defender on those throws so he had to put some touch on them. But you have to get the ball there quicker than he did - if you float a ball in the NFL it will normally come down with a crowd around it. 

19 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Fromm was dealing last night! He looked pretty damn good. His receivers didnt help him much, but i was impressed overall. 

That might be the best I’ve seen Fromm play. Which is not a high bar to be fair.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He had to get the ball over a rushing defender on those throws so he had to put some touch on them. But you have to get the ball there quicker than he did - if you float a ball in the NFL it will normally come down with a crowd around it. 

That might be the best I’ve seen Fromm play. Which is not a high bar to be fair.

Not a high bar indeed, lol.  He dealt with the heavy pressure situation remarkably well, though part of me thinks playing hurry up and facing cover 0 tends to take a lot of the decision making out of the situation.  But he looked good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Though what I was shocked by is how bad Brisset looked.  Egads he looked bad.  My bigger takeaway from the game wasn’t how good Howell looked, it’s how bad Brisset looked. 

This shouldn't come as a shock.  He's not good.  Like at all.  Which is extremely positive to see Howell look leaps and bounds better than him already.  

image.thumb.png.4b6bb58dfb07cf9a436065669f39bbea.png

Edited by DJHJR86

3 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I don't think Brissett has the greatest arm. But he can get some mustard on the ball when he's throwing with a good base and his feet set and drills it.  He also has a longer, "windup" style release to my eyes.  

I get you you need to get loft on the ball to get it over people and then drop it in, but I think there are either some physical limitations or technique issues, because they were not good throws in the situations.  

21 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Fromm was dealing last night! He looked pretty damn good. His receivers didnt help him much, but i was impressed overall. 

I wouldn't go that far.  I think he looked like a very serviceable practice squad QB who should never plan in an NFL regular season or post-season game.  EVER.  But probably better than an XFL backup QB.  :P

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This shouldn't come as a shock.  He's not good.  Like at all.  Which is extremely positive to see Howell look leaps and bounds better than him already.  

Eh, I think he is good for what he is.  He's certainly a fair sight better than REDACTED.  At least most of the field is open to him.

I think he had a bad night.  I thought against Cleveland, he looked better.  Somebody else said, he's up and down.  That certainly can be true.  

I like Brissett and am glad we signed him. But there's a reason why he played the majority of Cleveland's season and only got a job with Washington. It's because he kind of sucks. Which puts him in the range of #32 out of all QBs. It's a great improvement over last season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan just now on Howell.

Best case = Andy Dalton.   Worst case = Charlie Batch

😎

He must be dying to get Cooley to watch some tape and get on the show lol. 

Cooley must be waaaay off the grid these days. 

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He must be dying to get Cooley to watch some tape and get on the show lol. 

Cooley must be waaaay off the grid these days. 

Could be.  Cooley was OK with Howell's North Carolina tape.  He liked him but didn't love him.  I wonder though what Cooley would feel now after he watched the preseason games?

6 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I guess Andy Dalton was better than I thought.

I'll say in his defense, he mentioned Dalton in Cincy.  Dalton was decent in Cincy but still that's not a high ceiling IMO.  Howell's ceiling IMO is higher than that by a full two pegs or more.

I am ok with the floor for any young unproven QB to be a bust, since its always possible. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4