Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We are now into Day 2 of the joint practices with the Ravens. Usually this is where you can get some good honest, fairly unbiased views of how our guys are playing and by every account I have seen, Howell is performing. 

It's weird. I have had a vibe on Howell that I haven't had on a player in a long time. I hope I am not going to be let down, but I am starting to think we found something here, which is such a rarity, especially at QB, for this organization.

Fingers crossed.

Not to mention a decent backup, who can come in and produce as well. Really feeling good about this offense right now. Hopefully, the OL begins to mature and get better each day. Should be a fun season to watch. #HTTC

10 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Make no mistake, Sam will run if he needs to. But when he rolls out…he’s looking to load up and go deep. 

The go route needs to be on someone every play if a play breaks down. One of our WRs should just turn up field and bolt when Sam leaves the pocket, because he can definitely get the ball wherever they go.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The go route needs to be on someone every play if a play breaks down. One of our WRs should just turn up field and bolt when Sam leaves the pocket, because he can definitely get the ball wherever they go.

Used to do this in Madden all the time, see who had the best shot on a fly route and changed it in the fly just in case.

Even in a short passing game our top 3 receivers it's hard to imagine not getting at least one of them open.

Even good defenses aren't perfect, **** happens, so when you see it have to make em pay given you don't know when your next chance like that is coming. That Dotson td against the browns felt like a prime example of that, really good sign he saw it and got it done.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Since we are not gonna go deep into the playbook in preseason, the only 2 things you "have" to see from Howell is the ability to hit the underneath stuff and set protections so he does not die.

The Ravens are like the perfect week 2 opponents for this w/ their odd fixation on winning in preseason, so you are certainly gonna see some disguised looks on Mon. We are sure to get some good insight at how this O prepares itself to deal w/ pressure pre-snap. I don't know how much responsibility Gates has in assisting with this, I'd assume some, so that dynamic will be tested as well.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Since we are not gonna go deep into the playbook in preseason, the only 2 things you "have" to see from Howell is the ability to hit the underneath stuff and set protections so he does not die.

The Ravens are like the perfect week 2 opponents for this w/ their odd fixation on winning in preseason, so you are certainly gonna see some disguised looks on Mon. We are sure to get some good insight at how this O prepares itself to deal w/ pressure pre-snap. I don't know how much responsibility Gates has in assisting with this, I'd assume some, so that dynamic will be tested as well.

If I’m EB, I’m bringing out a few trickier things just to mess with the Ravens a bit.  I don’t care if we win.  But I would mess with them a bit.  Maybe a double reverse option flea flicker or something.  

• Thumb up 1

I've never totally bought in to the keeping it vanilla in the preseason thing.

They always say you should practice how you're gonna play, well you're gonna run more well designed plays and you're gonna game plan.

I get not wanting to tip your playbook but there's tons of plays that teams don't run in the preseason that everybody already knows about plus you're going to give them 17 games worth of tape to study what's a couple extra quarters in the preseason going to give them that getting that practice in and the confidence of success not going to offset?

• Like 1

@Going Commando

I get your point about continuity.  But there is context in play.

When Jay came here, he kept Kirk.   Heck he even kept RG3 for two more years even though they didn't see eye to eye.

With Haskins (RIP) he didn't fit Ron's culture.  Heck when Shawn Springs, Haskins' mentor said he can't put in the work for Haskins -- his work ethic issues were more than evident.

If Howell shows he can play, why would they dump him? 

This isn't a hard roster to fix in an off season if Howell looks like the guy at QB.  Harris needs to win ASAP.  Considering context, this isn't a good situation for a slow build considering their quest to get the fans back and make this team look attractive for juristictions to get a stadium.

Harris isn't stupid.  I wouldn't worry about the idea of this team looking for a young franchise QB forever, and then when a dude flashes like that (hopefully) with high intangibles, they dump him.  Fans would go nuts.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@Going Commando

I get your point about continuity.  But there is context in play.

When Jay came here, he kept Kirk.   Heck he even kept RG3 for two more years even though they didn't see eye to eye.

With Haskins (RIP) he didn't fit Ron's culture.  Heck when Shawn Springs, Haskins' mentor said he can't put in the work for Haskins -- his work ethic issues were more than evident.

If Howell shows he can play, why would they dump him? 

This isn't a hard roster to fix in an off season if Howell looks like the guy at QB.  Harris needs to win ASAP.  Considering context, this isn't a good situation for a slow build considering their quest to get the fans back and make this team look attractive for juristictions to get a stadium.

Harris isn't stupid.  I wouldn't worry about the idea of this team looking for a young franchise QB forever, and then when a dude flashes like that (hopefully) with high intangibles, they dump him.  Fans would go nuts.  

Agreed. We need to follow the Bears example this year. Signed a high end Guard and drafted OT in the first, got a high end WR and resigned their vet TE, loaded up on future draft picks too. Now we see what Fields can do or if they need to move on they can. 

New Coach doesn't mean Howell isn't in the plans.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 11:33 AM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We are now into Day 2 of the joint practices with the Ravens. Usually this is where you can get some good honest, fairly unbiased views of how our guys are playing and by every account I have seen, Howell is performing. 

It's weird. I have had a vibe on Howell that I haven't had on a player in a long time. I hope I am not going to be let down, but I am starting to think we found something here, which is such a rarity, especially at QB, for this organization.

Fingers crossed.

I got the vibe a few times myself... one when we all did, his first pass a TD to TMC last year. Seeing him scramble and juke for a first down to start the game last week. And seeing him throw Mahomeee'sque sidearmed. Pumping the brakes to keep it real some but its probably nice for a guy to only have 5th round expectations on him. Its awesome he studied KCs offense. Of course in doing so, its logical that some of Mahomes antics rubs off on him.

Edited by RandyHolt

Finally got my hand out of the cast, so back to posting and not just reading.

I was cautiously optimistic about Sam going into the offseason. Now, I'm sold. He's definitely a legit starting NFL QB.

He makes quick reads, and is accurate with the ball. I honestly liked the throwaways in the Cleveland game, don't force it and compound it.

Seems to be a hard worker and very coachable.

Competitive.

Physically, he had the tools. Mobile. Big arm.

But the other stuff is what separates a QB in the NFL. And he looks to have all the mental aspects needed to excel.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig....

NO! NO! NO! Brissett is not the better bet for a quick start. Howell is the better bet against AZ and rest of the season until he flops, which I can't see would actually happen. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, zCommander said:

NO! NO! NO! Brissett is not the better bet for a quick start. Howell is the better bet against AZ and rest of the season until he flops, which I can't see would actually happen. 

I don’t think Standig was even saying that.  He said “it’s conceivable some people think Brisket is better for a fast start” (paraphrased).  

I actually think that’s lazy reporting/writing.  It’s basically “yeah some people might think this other thing but I can’t find anybody who will go on the record to say so, so I’ll just put it out there in a nebulous vague manner without any backup or sources and hope nobody notices.”

I generally like Standig.  Listen to his podcast.  He’s a professional grade writer and I like him in general.  But this part of this story was lazy writing. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t think Standig was even saying that.  He said “it’s conceivable some people think Brisket is better for a fast start” (paraphrased).  

I actually think that’s lazy reporting/writing.  It’s basically “yeah some people might think this other thing but I can’t find anybody who will go on the record to say so, so I’ll just put it out there in a nebulous vague manner without any backup or sources and hope nobody notices.”

I generally like Standig.  Listen to his podcast.  He’s a professional grade writer and I like him in general.  But this part of this story was lazy writing. 

I just snipped the images from SIP's posting and Standig was all that was left ... lol

Yes lazy. Some are saying.. who? He doesn't name any sources but still whoever it is need to stop thinking like the past. We need to find out if we have our franchise QB or not. Brissett is not. This is why I didn't like he said some are thinking. The are not thinking at all.

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is one of those situations where Rivera thinks he has created an illusion of competition so his announcement of a starter is a big thing in his eyes.

the rest of planet Earth already knows who it has to be.

His messaging skills are akin to my 4.5 year old.  Not very clear and constantly changing with a significant element of imagination….

The Cardinals are a lesser opponent (especially with Colt McCoy starting) than the Jags were to open up last season.  I am curious what the fan reaction will be if Howell has a similar performance as Wentz did.  Forgetting the rest of Wentz's season, that first game all things considered gave us a glimpse of what an NFL QB could do with these weapons.  Howell's skillset is different than Wentz, more of an early career Russell Wilson to me, but I do expect that Howell's inexperience will get him into ugly stat sheet games during the season, but that doesn't mean he won't still manage to make enough big throws to win some of those games, it just means some of the games might be closer than they needed to be. 

• Like 1