Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

But a lot of you guys (not saying you specifically) were saying how much better Wince was going to be and everybody who laughed at the signing and ridiculous trade of picks were going to be eating crow. :ols:

I was more positive on Wentz than most, and was wrong about that. 

I still think they had to get an option better than REDACTED on the roster in any means necessary.  Starting the season with REDACTED as the starter meant you had given up the season.  absent lucky plays, you were going to struggle not only to win games, but complete passes.  You couldn’t go into the season with that as your plan.

I think they got the guy they could get, and overpaid for him, and it blew up. But getting a guy was an absolute necessity.  

And I would still have taken the chancy with Wentz over Trubisky. Were there other options? Yeah.  I think Wemtz had the biggest possible upside. It just failed because his brain is scrambled eggs. 

10 hours ago, oraphus said:

Howell is going to have a hard time staying upright with this joke of an O-line.. cant wait for all the Rivera appologist excuses after we get spanked by AZ week one. 

Are there literally any Ron apologists?  

I think at best there are people who are appreciative of him being an adult under Dan, and know he’s coaching for his job.

That's the most positive I’ve heard on Ron in at least 8 months or so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I posted that as well.  It wasn’t a great throw.  It should have been laid out further upfield towards the sideline so Dotty could run under it without stoping.  Needed more touch and different ball placement by probably 3-4 yards.  

That said, it was still a catchable ball. Had to be a good catch, but it was where his guy could get it and nobody else could. Not every throw is going to be perfect. 

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. If we criticized our QBs last year for bad throws, we can do the same with Howell.

The difference is Howell has the arm to get it there (unlike REDACTED) and he didn’t miss by 3 zip codes (like Wemtz)

My comment in the game day thread wasn't about any QBs, it was about how this fanbase overreacts about stuff like this lol...I've said that for years. We have a history of taking "a" throw (yes, one single throw) and building a narrative around it...or using it to bolster our narratives. Did that with RG3 ad nauseam, did it with Cousins, with Alex Smith, Haskins, Heinicke, Wentz, hell Jason Campbell lol...it's just what we do. But since everyone seems to really like Howell I just jokingly asked if we were gonna start criticizing the throw or not lol...I think the answer was "NO!"

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

8 hours ago, method man said:

Ta'amu would easily be a better 3rd QB than Fromm and has been with EB twice in KC. He knows the system and offers a whole hell of a lot more.

I mean, I get the concern that Fromm sucks. He does. But let's be realistic...if you're in a situation where you're down to your 3rd string emergency QB, your season is basically over anyway.

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I mean, I get the concern that Fromm sucks. He does. But let's be realistic...if you're in a situation where you're down to your 3rd string emergency QB, your season is basically over anyway.

Very true. But at least have someone on the practice squad who could, if everything breaks our way, in some universe, develop into a credible NFL backup. Fromm has shown he can’t play in the NFL.

• Like 3

Not if you just need #3 for a game. A game in which your A1 starter was likely to lose anyways. 

The complexity of EBs offense should dictate who our #3 is. If Fram has a firm grasp and can help others learn it than he should be fine. But it does seem a no brainer to pluck KCs backup QBs otherwise.

Its interesting to see how QBing has changed over the years. Now mobile QBs are embraced. OCs cater playbooks.  Holding a clipboard to learn is no longer a difference maker. Teams seem more likely to have the backup be cut from the same mold as their starter more than before. Throwing underhand passes may be a thing in our offense for the first time in 85 years.

Howell better have a pair of track shoe cleats at the ready.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Leno was seriously hurt at the end of last season.  He was on some pod, maybe JPs, recently where he went through it a bit.

Not disagreeing with the overall point.  Older players tend to get more banged up the longer the season goes as a general rule.  And counting on players who have been banged up is very Bruce Allen-esque . So not disagreeing he is ok and could wear down.  Just providing additional context.  

He was playing through injury. He said at one point he couldn’t carry his infant child.  And his wife took a video she was going to post somewhere and didn’t because he couldn’t walk down the stairs.  Or something like that.  

I know.  I've listened to Finlay on it, he suggsted that Leno played hurt because that's how he rolls.  Don't recall him talking getting specific about it but I guess I missed one recently, maybe its his TV interview from the other day?

Typically players who are durable, part of that soup, is they play through being hurt more than most.  He's not really a good run blocker.  But he's decent pass protector.  Does he remains so at 32?  Will see.    But he's the dude I am the least worried about in this group.

Logan likes to say the hope is the unit together plays better than how each player is individually.  Keim says the same thing.  I think that has to be the hope.  My main fear is there arguably is not a stud in this soup and conversely most teams have a stud or two on the D line.  So how do we deal with those matchups.  The Browns showed mercy by sitting down Myles Garrett on Friday.   I get the thought that Bieinemy cures cancer, climate issues, maybe the war in the Ukraine if he put his mind to it.  But I don't like to put that type of pressure on a coordinator, expecting them to be genius magicians.  I just want them to call good games.

Like I've been saying I don't think this O line will be destroyed every week during the season.  I think what happens is similar to the NY Giants games last year -- key drives the O line gets blown up to do just enough to knock them off the playoffs -- where they don't end up with your 10-7 prediction.   But who knows, will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

My comment in the game day thread wasn't about any QBs, it was about how this fanbase overreacts about stuff like this lol...I've said that for years. We have a history of taking "a" throw (yes, one single throw) and building a narrative around it...or using it to bolster our narratives. Did that with RG3 ad nauseam, did it with Cousins, with Alex Smith, Haskins, Heinicke, Wentz, hell Jason Campbell lol...it's just what we do. But since everyone seems to really like Howell I just jokingly asked if we were gonna start criticizing the throw or not lol...I think the answer was "NO!"

I agree.  I think it’s fair to pick on specific throws but every play doesn’t have to be an referendum on a player.  

EDITED to correct ultimatum to referendum because I used the wrong word.  Ooops.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Not if you just need #3 for a game. A game in which your A1 starter was likely to lose anyways. 

The complexity of EBs offense should dictate who our #3 is. If Fram has a firm grasp and can help others learn it than he should be fine. But it does seem a no brainer to pluck KCs backup QBs otherwise.

Its interesting to see how QBing has changed over the years. Now mobile QBs are embraced. OCs cater playbooks.  Holding a clipboard to learn is no longer a difference maker. Teams seem more likely to have the backup be cut from the same mold as their starter more than before. Throwing underhand passes may be a thing in our offense for the first time in 85 years.

Howell better have a pair of track shoe cleats at the ready.

Fromm is the QB who the Giants had take a knee on 3rd down because they didn’t even trust him to successfully execute a hand off. 

If it comes to that we can pull someone out of the stands.

9 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I thought Howell played composed, within himself and the offense.   He seems pretty unflappable.  Impressed with his demeanor.

Really like how it looks like we will not be babying him and will let him throw it.  Very positive for the youngster.

He's a tough one.  He's also got a great coordinator who is going to be a true partner for him IMO.  Someone who has a ton of experience developing and working with QBs and getting the most out of them.  Someone who is going to keep him from feeling like he's under siege, keep him focused and confident.

Sam was under siege his final season at UNC.  His weapons and his OL struggled and it had such an adverse effect on his play.  The feel for the rush broke down.  The ability to see the whole field broke down.  The decision making became so limited and it basically became a one two pull it and run pattern every passing down.  He was bailing water.  I think Bieniemy will keep that from happening here.

• Like 2

Nate Rourke from Jacksonville is intriguing if he’s cut. He has moxie.

But in all seriousness, looks like Shane Buechele may not hang on to a top 2 QB job in KC (fools…)

So… besides my bias and the running joke that’s been fueled by my late round adoration for him…

He’d make a much better third option than Fromm. Just have to see which direction things go.

• Like 2

Under pressure, Sam Howell’s mobility and quick release showed

The preseason opener was a solid debut for Howell. It remains an open question whether the offensive line can consistently protect him — it struggled to keep him comfortable and was flagged for two drive-killing penalties — but Friday night at least, Howell overcame the lapses with mobility and a quick release. There were few signs of his growing pains from training camp, and he finished 9 for 12 for 77 yards and a touchdown. He also scrambled once for eight yards to convert a third down.

“I felt good,” Howell said. “I knew the plays we were going to call — we kind of keep it simple in the preseason — and I felt really good about the plays. I feel like I did a pretty good job from an execution standpoint. I went into the game with a lot of confidence, and I think my comfortability showed tonight.”

From the opening drive, Howell was crisp and decisive. He hit quick, short throws to get the ball into the hands of his playmakers — Dotson for four yards, Curtis Samuel for 10 — and when he faced pressure on third and six, he escaped left, scrambling for the first down. Near midfield, he threw a beautiful deep pass on the right sideline for tight end John Bates, who dropped it. The catch would not have counted anyway; right tackle Andrew Wylie was flagged for holding.

...So the first-team offense went back out for that third drive. On the fourth and three, Turner ran a pick route, and when he saw Howell roll right to escape pressure, he kept running, too. The team has put “a big emphasis” in practice on keeping plays alive, especially scrambles, because as Bieniemy said: “Those plays aren’t lucky. They’re practiced.” Turner reeled in a 13-yarder, the highlight of a night in which he eclipsed the production of his entire rookie year (two catches, 23 yards) in just over a quarter (four catches, 31 yards).

Howell’s performance seemed to buoy his teammates. During the game, a few skill players gave sideline broadcast interviews and spoke excitedly about Bieniemy’s scheme, their role in it and Howell’s execution. In the locker room after the game, Turner pointed out he and Howell are represented by the same agency, were drafted just picks apart in the fifth round in 2022 and have worked out together in the offseason.

...“Hopefully it’s just the start of what we can do together,” he said, grinning.

Big questions remain. Can the line protect Howell? Can Howell make good decisions consistently? Can he succeed with plays in which he is not as confident? Can he and Bieniemy develop and execute a non-vanilla game plan against a scheming defense with all of its top players on the field?

For one night at least, Washington overcame its mistakes before it was too late, and Howell’s play gave his teammates and coaches hope.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/08/12/sam-howell-commanders-mobility-quick-release/

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

it's less about the season and more about getting third and fourth stringers better reps on tape during preseason and, during the season, make the practice squad better.

8 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

it's less about the season and more about getting third and fourth stringers better reps on tape during preseason and, during the season, make the practice squad better.

Yeah and I get it. But the pickings for a 3rd string emergency QB are by default going to be pretty slim. Maybe you can find a guy marginally better than Fromm, but he's still going to be barely an NFL caliber QB most likely.

• Like 1

My QB/Offense checklist:

-Modern day scheme

-Elite use of legs to extend/spatial awareness

-Former baseball player 

-Better accuracy than me throwing to neighborhood kids with a reduced sized football and no pressure (Yes, I’d put this tape up against QBs 26-50 in the NFL when they’re playing in a game).

His legs alone provides confidence he can achieve NFL QB competence (QB 9-25). 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, zCommander said:

Trust me Fram oil filters have a very nice grasp. I love how they put this grasping thing at the end of the filter and your hand doesn't slip off anymore when you are hand tightening it. 

c395c1e7-2302-463b-bd7c-e822a417380e_1.a61f5562e745bcd82a3682e0fb48243a.jpeg?odnHeight=768&odnWidth=768&odnBg=FFFFFF

You could probably guess but I did actually change oil in 2 cars today.

• Thumb up 1