Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

10 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

yeah, but let's face it.  The only way this organization gets a QB that's decent is if they had the #1 overall pick and there was a can't miss guy sitting there waiting for them.  Even then, they may find a way to mess that up

That one goes beyond just a QB. 7 spots like that is HUGE. The 9-13 spot tends to be a ton of movement up or down. The 19th? Not so much.

• Like 1

I think you guys are putting way too much emphasis on Rivera trying to save face.  He is not worried about losing his job, at least not anytime soon.  I doubt he’s thinking there is anything that can happen in a meaningless week 18 game that is going to make or break what’s left of his career.  He’s going to be paid for the next 2 seasons no matter what happens.  If he was that concerned about what everyone outside of Ashburn thinks, he probably doesn’t rock the boat and go with Wentz this past Sunday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Tall.

So basically, our offensive coordinator sucks. Only Kyle Shanahan can get production out of a rookie. Mr Irrelevant no less.

I just want to know one thing, has my man tasted steak yet?

If he has, then we know he has a taste for blood.  Awoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Howl for Howell!

North Carolina Football GIF by UNC Tar Heels

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think you guys are putting way too much emphasis on Rivera trying to save face.  He is not worried about losing his job, at least not anytime soon.  I doubt he’s thinking there is anything that can happen in a meaningless week 18 game that is going to make or break what’s left of his career.  He’s going to be paid for the next 2 seasons no matter what happens.  If he was that concerned about what everyone outside of Ashburn thinks, he probably doesn’t rock the boat and go with Wentz this past Sunday.

He lost what confidence I had in him when he didn’t know we could be eliminated last week.  No excuse for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There’s many reasons Rivera wouldn’t want to play him.

1) Doesn’t want him to be good and make him look bad. If he looks okay in practice then saving it for next year and then commenting on the strides he’s made makes the staff look better and like they took a raw 5th and molded him to the point that he’s a good player.

2) Thinks Dallas is a lot for a rookie and he wants to shield him. I don’t agree with this approach. But it’s possible.

3) He wants to give Heinicke another go. And if Heinicke beats Dallas don’t be surprised if he and Turner are back. 

There’s many reasons. Just none of them good.

Great, so we get to watch Heinicke play like a **** against Dallas again... Just ****ing wonderful.

1 minute ago, PolarExpress said:

He lost what confidence I had in him when he didn’t know we could be eliminated last week.  No excuse for that.

That’s fine.

But that’s not what I’m talking about.  I don’t think he’s clinging to if I do this, they will think that scenarios in his mind.  He’s in no danger of losing his job due to the pending sale, and his salary is guaranteed for 2 more seasons.  I just don’t see a motive for him to be that concerned with what folks think dependent upon what happens.

I want to see Howell badly.  In fact, I won’t even watch unless Howell starts.  But at the same time, it would suck to for Howell to get his first start in a meaningless game in a stadium filled with 2/3 Cowboys fans celebrating their potential division title and/or playoff berth, while we are testing out young guys and field a defense missing many vital pieces.

Sunday is going to be an absolute disaster.  Poetic even, considering it’s likely Dan’s last game as owner.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, PolarExpress said:

I waffled on this one and I'm still not sure how i feel about it.

On one hand it certainly feels like something he should be aware of because it's plastered all over every form of media on the planet and we all knew every possible scenario.

On the other hand it's really not important information for him to know, so long as he's completely submerged in the gameplan and winning that should be all that matters.

Coaches say one game at a time constantly and their focus is so much different than ours that it's not overly surprising he didn't know.

15 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I waffled on this one and I'm still not sure how i feel about it.

On one hand it certainly feels like something he should be aware of because it's plastered all over every form of media on the planet and we all knew every possible scenario.

On the other hand it's really not important information for him to know, so long as he's completely submerged in the gameplan and winning that should be all that matters.

Coaches say one game at a time constantly and their focus is so much different than ours that it's not overly surprising he didn't know.

All of which makes the decision of keeping Wentz in the game after a very bad first half all the more confusing.

It really didn't seem he was playing to win. 

• Thanks 1

I want to see Sam Howell start Sunday.  Not for any strategic reason. Not for any "sending a message" reason.  Not for any draft position reason.  Just that it's going to be an otherwise boring, meaningless game in a home stadium filled with fans of the other team. I just want to see him thrown to the wolves to see how many mutts he kicks in the snout as they nip at his ass.  I am Sam-curious.

I won't try to read tea leaves based on the one start.  But the game means nothing.   

Carson Wentz - nice guy - but dead to me as the answer at QB. 

Taylor Heinicke - seen enough - he's my backup, 

Start Sam.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

All of which makes the decision of keeping Wentz in the game after a very bad first half all the more confusing.

Oh please.  His whole mindset was he knew they controlled their own destiny.  Win two and we're in. 

Criticize him all you want for not pulling Wentz.  But don't chalk it up to Ron "not playing to win."

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

For the sake of this thread making it to 2000 pages ... there's a twisted part of me that wants Rivera to declare Wentz as the starter for Washington's game against Dallas.

First of all, beating Dallas - while always a nice feeling -- could worsen our draft position. So do we want to be putting our best QB out there in the first place?

Second,  if we go with Howell, I'm worried about the long-term effects of the shock factor on the rookie, mindful of our porous O-line protection versus a Dallas D going full shore to shock the rookie trying to  cope with will likely be a lot of 3rd-&-long situations. Dallas needs this game, so it might not be best the best debut for Howell -- especially since Washington is really limping into this game (both physically and mentally)

Third, some of you who really don't care for Wentz as Washington's starting QB, will want to watch to see how much your opinion of him was valid, as  he gets pummeled by Parsons & Co.  Meanwhile any folks who still think he might still have value as a backup, maybe, might peek hoping he do something can help you in supporting him for an economical backup during the off-season.  (Moreover, if Dallas pummeled him, no one could claim Carson didn't get enough chances to show if he still had the "stuff" to be a starter for Washington.)

Now my twisted reason for starting Wentz, is that I am continually surprised how this team winds up with the craziest results at all the wrong times.  So in a weird way, it would be very "Washington" for Wentz  to weirdly have the game of his career and somehow put up mega-points and be an undeniable factor for Washington beating Dallas in a game that the Cowboys really wanted (and ironically in a game where the Commanders would be better served with a loss.).

Should that 'weird' scenario actually happen -- ES'ers would then be spending the whole off-season debating the merits of keeping Wentz as a starter (or costly backup) for the upcoming season, based on his last performance. Washingtonians for Wentz would be battling the Hovers and the Sons of Sam....easily pushing this thread up to the 2000 page mark and spilling over into so many other threads. 

In other words, starting Wentz against Dallas opens the possibility for a very "ES"-like off-season.  Even if Wentz bombs, and gets pulled for Howell's debut and Sam does well -- we're laying the groundwork for at least another 500 pages!  

Wishing you all a very happy "ES"-Like 2023 off-season.  ....And you all know how Washington always wants an exciting off-season

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

He just led the longest drive in 2 decades for touchdown, putting the team up 7-3, of which the team rallied around him.

One could argue that was rather unfortunate.  Had that not happened, he likely does get benched at halftime.  But hard to bench a dude who just did that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He just led the longest drive in 2 decades for touchdown, putting the team up 7-3, of which the team rallied around him.

One could argue that was rather unfortunate.  Had that not happened, he likely does get benched at halftime.  But hard to bench a dude who just did that.

It was basically the exact same thing that happened with heinicke a week before, he was awful in the first then led a nice touchdown drive that made it difficult to make the switch and then proceeded to stink again. 

At least now there is no doubt at all that wentz is not the answer and before there was that tiny miniscule possibility. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/03/carson-wentz-squandered-last-chance-starter

The local guys seem to think Howell isn't going to play, but the national people sure seem to think he will.  From Albert Breer:

image.png.e6a61f32d58f2f8fd5fd8e31352183ba.png

The local guys seem unsure on whether Howell plays but from what I can tell more think he will than he won't.  Pretty much all think they should. 

Breer is usually plugged in especially with this team.