Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Yeah it sucks to be well off in your life. Running your own biz is lots of hard work too. You probably don't want that at all. lol

My man you have to stop being so reflexively thin-skinned around here, you’ll enjoy it more 

edit: apologies, hadn’t gone to this page yet and seen that it’s been addressed. Wasn’t trying to pile on 

Edited by Conn
  • Thumb up 1

Super interesting segment with Tom and Ian on the potentially available QB's in 2023

Some naming highlights:

FA guys they mention - Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady, Garoppolo, Mayfield, Geno Smith, Daniel Jones, Jacoby Brissett and yes, Heinicke

QB's out of fully guaranteed money on their contracts - Goff, Carr and Tannehill

QB's under contract that were "benched" at various points of the season - Matt Ryan, Wentz, Mariota, Zac Wilson and Tribisky

QB's that have struggled and what their futures hold - Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers and Mathew Stafford, 

Point was made big names and big decisions for over half the league next year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I don't agree, It says "We're not going to throw money at the most important position when we don't know if our coach will be back, we don't have a OL who can protect, and we've just turned over our entire front office and they need install new everything to replace the Snyderverse." 

Howell went from a 1st rounder prospect to the 5th because a loss of offensive talent his final year at UNC, and Brown changing the system to have him run more. I can't think of a QB who will be available to overpay. I guess Geno Smith? Baker Mayfield? Jimmy G? Andy Dalton? The problem is going to solve itself after folks look at 2022 as the year of Wentz, Ryan, Wilson, Mariota, Trubkisky results.

Invest the offseason into keeping Payne, ILB and a lot into the OL. 

So punting on next season again to also not make the problem any easier to fix in the 24 offseason. Great.... 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Zim489 said:

A howell Taylor room says "Were tanking". Its the worst in the league. And of course Ron wont tank either in his last year which Im expecting to not happen. So congrats 2023 is another wasted season of primes and cheap contracts just to end up drafting in the middle of the first again in 2024. Just time waisting

Don’t see how anyone can look at the team performance in 2021, and how they’ve done with Heinicke at the helm this season and think “they’re tanking”.  Especially if they re-sign Payne and address the oline.

I do of course understand your feeling that it would be a poor/questionable qb room though, and that it would feel like another season wasted.  Fortunately (for you at least) I don’t see Ron going that route.  We’ll wind up with a vet that will very likely be the starter.  Probably leads to a step forward in the qb room, though it might mean a step back on D (if we lose Payne) and make shoring up the oline more difficult.  And of course, we might see a coaching change the following year that’s potentially/likely stuck with a pricey (probably mediocre-ish) starting qb.  We’ll see.

Funny to think that if we’d just taken Howell in the 1st last year, he’d have a far better chance at becoming a franchise guy for us per your viewpoint.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No one on the roster is the long term qb.  We aren’t finding the long term qb in 2023 due to the transition between owners; unless that transfer and approval happens early. Highly, unlikely for 23.

In my mind that long term qb is going to be a drafted qb. So likely the 24 draft.

Ron’s going to look for another starter in 23, if he doesn’t rework Carson’s contract. If Carson stays on a reworked contract, the o-line will be the focus. Actually, regardless of the qb; o-line will be the main focus in 23.

If Carson goes, Ron will focus on another veteran. Ron has to win now. He’s got to show his new boss he’s winning or else he’s done.  Still there’s no gaurantee Ron coaches in 23, even if the sale happens later in the offseason. The new guy may want to start his ownership with his own coach.

I see whatever we do in 23 at qb, as a stopgap.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

No one on the roster is the long term qb.  We aren’t finding the long term qb in 2023 due to the transition between owners; unless that transfer and approval happens early. Highly, unlikely for 23.

In my mind that long term qb is going to be a drafted qb. So likely the 24 draft.

Ron’s going to look for another starter in 23, if he doesn’t rework Carson’s contract. If Carson stays on a reworked contract, the o-line will be the focus. Actually, regardless of the qb; o-line will be the main focus in 23.

If Carson goes, Ron will focus on another veteran. Ron has to win now. He’s got to show his new boss he’s winning or else he’s done.  Still there’s no gaurantee Ron coaches in 23, even if the sale happens later in the offseason. The new guy may want to start his ownership with his own coach.

I see whatever we do in 23 at qb, as a stopgap.

If Wentz stays we should let Heinicke walk and CW and Howell compete for the job. You want to draft someone this year, fine, he competes for the job as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Funny to think that if we’d just taken Howell in the 1st last year, he’d have a far better chance at becoming a franchise guy for us per your viewpoint.

lol Howell should come in TC next year like the job is his to lose.  he has the talent just needs the knowledge and leadership. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Carson’s value to Washington next season at a reduced cost shouldn’t be overlooked. Having a dude learn the scheme for an entire year and come into next season feeling confident and comfortable with the system is tremendous value to an organization. 

My sincere hope is that the organization plays hardball and leverages the realistic path to starting next season.  All his off field and locker room issues has seemed to be behind him— he appears to be a plus in this area from my fan view. 

Count me in on idea of Wentz returning at severely reduced cost. Continuity is paramount in the league if you can manage to make it happen. 

Carson $8-10 mil

Heineke $4-6mil 

Howell $ pennies

If you love a rookie in the draft you make a tough decision with 1 of 3. 

Edited by wit33

51 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Carson’s value to Washington next season at a reduced cost shouldn’t be overlooked. Having a dude learn the scheme for an entire year and come into next season feeling confident and comfortable with the system is tremendous value to an organization. 

My sincere hope is that the organization plays hardball and leverages the realistic path to starting next season.  All his off field and locker room issues has seemed to be behind him— he appears to be a plus in this area from my fan view. 

Count me in on idea of Wentz returning at severely reduced cost. Continuity is paramount in the league if you can manage to make it happen. 

Carson $8-10 mil

Heineke $4-6mil 

Howell $ pennies

Thats solid, i like the idea of drafting Oline and linebackers and maybe a corner.  I think they could go even cheaper with Wentz (depending on how the season plays out)

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Carson $8-10 mil

Heineke $4-6mil 

Howell $ pennies

I don't believe Carson has any value to Washington next year. He would need to come back at a reduced salary of at least a 50% reduction, if not more. Means about a $13M paycheck for a guy who may never see the field against Heinicke or Howell. 

I'd rather find another vet who won't cost what Wentz is likely to. A Jacoby Brissett, Baker Mayfield. I'd rather pay Daniel Jones than Wentz at the moment. 

Not that any of them are even going to be options for us. But I just don't see it working with Wentz. But who knows. If he takes a significant reduction than I guess it's not a horrible thing. 

There are some teams in the top 10 that absolutely will not be drafting a QB so opportunities will be there to trade up. It'll cost a lot obviously but its the only direction Rivera has yet to attempt and I think he'll go for it now knowing the rest of the roster is fairly solid and he can afford to give up the draft capital.

Fairly interested in the idea of Jordan Love. Not a rookie anymore, but doesn’t have a lot of experience. I wouldn’t give up much for him because… what we’ve seen has been a very mixed bag. But he’s a young guy and should be on our radar.

Older, expensive vets really shouldn’t be. 

4 hours ago, HoggLife said:

More like:

Carson $12-15

Heineke  $8-12

Howell Pennies

Which even that isn't that bad $10-25 million for your QB room is a deal. 

Question: Who would offer Carson Wentz 12-15 million next year to be their QB? If the answer is nobody, then why would we give him that much? If I'm RR I'm lowballing him to the tune of 5 mil per season with the chance to win the starting job and cash in on incentives with the chance to earn a longer term deal if he plays well. 

Based on what CW has put on tape the past two seasons I don't know who would invest in him and hand him the reigns to their team? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Question: Who would offer Carson Wentz 12-15 million next year to be their QB? If the answer is nobody, then why would we give him that much? If I'm RR I'm lowballing him to the tune of 5 mil per season with the chance to win the starting job and cash in on incentives with the chance to earn a longer term deal if he plays well. 

Based on what CW has put on tape the past two seasons I don't know who would invest in him and hand him the reigns to their team? 

Because Wentz contract is for a lot more than that. He may play for less than that but I doubt he does that with us if we release him from a $26M contract.