Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Young is slam dunk going first.  Draft media seems to love Levis -- maybe i am watching the wrong games but I have a hard time seeing it with him as to his pocket presence, decision making, touch on the first level throws.   I am not much of a Stroud guy.

Richardson intrigues me but i admit I haven't really studied him yet so i might change my mind.  Haener was my guy last year as to a 3rd-4th rounder type but alas he didn't come out -- he's be my guy again in that range of the draft. 

How I rank them vs. how the pro scouts do... I think is going to be different. They put a lot of weight on physical traits I've noticed.

Still, it will be hard to not go Young at the top.

My guess for pro rankings:

Young

Richardson

Stroud

Levis

Hooker (despite the injury)

I'll re-evaluate as we hear more. But that's my guess. 

I haven't been watching these guys much yet this year (as far as watching as individual players, I've watched games). Have some things going on football wise that I am prepping for which is taking a lot of my time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I haven't been watching these guys much yet this year (as far as watching as individual players, I've watched games). Have some things going on football wise that I am prepping for which is taking a lot of my time. 

Same here, watched my share of college games but I haven't sat down and studied much as to player by player.  I'll start doing it probably after the season.  

I spent a ton of time as I know you did last off season studying QBs -- it was exhausting so not sure if I have the energy to do it again.  But I plan to do it heavily as to O line, CB, and maybe TE. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Same here, watched my share of college games but I haven't sat down and studied much as to player by player.  I'll start doing it probably after the season.  

I spent a ton of time as I know you did last off season studying QBs -- it was exhausting so not sure if I have the energy to do it again.  But I plan to do it heavily as to O line, CB, and maybe TE. 

I watched FSU/UF condensed game on YouTube earlier this morning...

Richardson seems to overall have decent pocket presence, he's fast as a runner, good arm (flick of the wrist arm strength) and absolutely goes through some reads. He is a prototype for the QB position as well. Mechanically he got shakey at times. But this guy is going to go early in the draft.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Interesting because they aren't technically eliminated.

But they’re in a place where they need a spark to get them in. They won’t get in as is. Doesn’t hurt to play Ridder. Also let’s them figure out what the plan for next season is.

Smart move.

• Like 1

I was really high on Ridder, so I'm excited to see that.

I'd like to probably trade out of the first this year. More picks on day two or a first next year and day three picks this year.

I think this team is a solid two years away from being truly dominant for a long time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I was really high on Ridder, so I'm excited to see that.

I'd like to probably trade out of the first this year. More picks on day two or a first next year and day three picks this year.

I think this team is a solid two years away from being truly dominant for a long time.

I think that is going to wind up being the best move for us given the situation and the available quarterbacks. Having two firsts in ‘24 would then allow us to make a move for Williams or Maye if Howell doesn’t pan out. 

Problem is this roster is built for some success right now. I don’t like some of the pieces and I think we are under talented as a few spots but overall it’s a good baseline roster. Lacking high end talent but no real horrible sags. 

Clean the OL up a little and this team can win asap as long as Payne is back (though I wish we saw more of Mathis). 

But the QB can be something that holds us back. 

But I like the idea of Howell actually getting a shot.

• Like 4

As long as Ridder can use his legs w/o getting his head taken off he can provide a lot of what Mariota does, and who knows maybe more. Its smart to get a look at him now and get an idea what the future looks like and where you need to prioritize your assets. 

Mariota's cap hit next year jumps to 14 M and he is only 2.5 M to cut. As long as Ridder does not Mega-bomb or get hurt Marcus is probably a decent candidate to get cut.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Conn said:

Some valuable context for people enamored with the team’s locker room leaders getting behind a backup QB:

To be fair, it wasn't very strong praise that Williams gave. On the Peyton Manning scale, you're rolling if it's enough to make people throw up. Purdy seems to be only at the "makes you queasy", but I guess that's still pretty good for a rookie.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think that is going to wind up being the best move for us given the situation and the available quarterbacks. Having two firsts in ‘24 would then allow us to make a move for Williams or Maye if Howell doesn’t pan out. 

Problem is this roster is built for some success right now. I don’t like some of the pieces and I think we are under talented as a few spots but overall it’s a good baseline roster. Lacking high end talent but no real horrible sags. 

Clean the OL up a little and this team can win asap as long as Payne is back (though I wish we saw more of Mathis). 

But the QB can be something that holds us back. 

But I like the idea of Howell actually getting a shot.

Maybe a 2nd will get us Carr and we run back the same QB room sans Wentz. Outside of the financial reasons, I'd be good with Wentz coming back to be honest.

If we can't get a QB next year, then we definitely need to load up for 24s draft.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe a 2nd will get us Carr and we run back the same QB room sans Wentz. Outside of the financial reasons, I'd be good with Wentz coming back to be honest.

If we can't get a QB next year, then we definitely need to load up for 24s draft.

I have no desire to run it back with Wentz even at a reduced rate. We tried. Didn’t work as anticipated. Not worth trying to carry on with it. Save the cap space, put it towards a better QB or other positions.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

46 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yeah, bring him back for 30M a year and tell him he has to buy his own OL with that money. 

Nice edit out my comment about paying Wentz, then act like you're making some kind of point. Classic dishonest troll bull****.

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I have no desire to run it back with Wentz even at a reduced rate. We tried. Didn’t work as anticipated. Not worth trying to carry on with it. Save the cap space, put it towards a better QB or other positions.

and if there is no better QB option? I'm not shooting for Wentz, but if he's on a reduced salary, he still has the tools and looked good before the Oline and other issues surfaced.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nice edit out my comment about paying Wentz, then act like you're making some kind of point. Classic dishonest troll bull****.

and if there is no better QB option? I'm not shooting for Wentz, but if he's on a reduced salary, he still has the tools and looked good before the Oline and other issues surfaced.

Then roll with Howell and Heinicke for a season. No matter how physically painful that could be for us. :ols:

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Then roll with Howell and Heinicke for a season. No matter how physically painful that could be for us. :ols:

I have a hard time seeing them roll with Howell and TH next season. They've spent the last two offseasons desperately trying to replace Heinicke, and I doubt anything recently has changed their minds. And while I, like you, am a Howell fan, I doubt they'd bank on him being the guy. That doesn't leave us with a ton of options other than scraping the bottom of the FA barrel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I have a hard time seeing them roll with Howell and TH next season. They've spent the last two offseasons desperately trying to replace Heinicke, and I doubt anything recently has changed their minds. And while I, like you, am a Howell fan, I doubt they'd bank on him being the guy. That doesn't leave us with a ton of options other than scraping the bottom of the FA barrel.

Which is exactly why that could be the way it goes. 

• Sad 1

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-commanders/taylor-heinicke-17249/market-value/

Not sure if this has been posted already, but spotrac has Heineckes market value pegged at 3 years, 59 mil.  19.7 per.   WOW!!!   I'm guessing he gets about a third of that.   It makes you wonder about their formula.  Guessing winning percentage has a lot to do with it.  

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-commanders/taylor-heinicke-17249/market-value/

Not sure if this has been posted already, but spotrac has Heineckes market value pegged at 3 years, 59 mil.  19.7 per.   WOW!!!   I'm guessing he gets about a third of that.   It makes you wonder about their formula.  Guessing winning percentage has a lot to do with it.  

No idea what goes into that projection but I’d be astonished if he sees even half that.  I actually find it hard to believe he will get any deal of merit from another team.  His value is here with Scott Turner.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

chris rock wtf GIF

EDIT: Now I get how they reached that figure:

image.png.0dcdac01869bd89dcec1b478cb08756b.png

Take out Tannehill and the average salary for "comparable" QBs drops down to $5.5M a year. Still too pricey unless a team is hellbent on making Heinicke their starter, which I don't see anyone doing. Only way he gets considered for #20M/yr is if he takes the team to the Super Bowl and turns into a TD-making machine in the playoffs--in which case he'd probably get more than $20M a year.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

I am telling ya'll we do not want Jimmy G running this offense, unless they basically mimicked the style of plays being called for Heinicke.  He is not a vertical passer, he excels in the WCO, a quick timing based offense where he drops back 3 steps, makes his read and gets rid of the ball.  That stuff you saw Wentz doing earlier in the year before the O-line got hurt?  That isn't Jimmy G.    

If Scott Turner is still the OC after this season, and at this point I think he will be, Jimmy G is not the QB to run it.

• Like 1