Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ryan is a better QB than Wentz. But he's also older and could very easily fall off physically. He also would have never agreed to come here since he had a no trade clause. Its a pointless comparison.

I think Ryan will be looking at the roof of the building the Falcons play in this season.  Their OL when healthy isn't as good as ours.  We need our interior back in a big way.  

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think Ryan will be looking at the roof of the building the Falcons play in this season.  Their OL when healthy isn't as good as ours.  We need our interior back in a big way.  

I’m not sure if the Colts play at Atlanta this year but if they do I suppose this is possible.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

What's the over under a number of games before the majority of the fan base calls for a QB change?

Im thinking its after the bye when we're all but eliminated and Rivera needs to do something to save his job.

As a card carrying member of the Howell Club… The only time I’d want to see Howell is if the season is totally lost in week 16/17 or if we have the division sealed by that time. Otherwise I don’t want to see him for extended time. And I don’t want to see Heinicke basically at all for more than a few series.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, KDawg said:

As a card carrying member of the Howell Club… The only time I’d want to see Howell is if the season is totally lost in week 16/17 or if we have the division sealed by that time. Otherwise I don’t want to see him for extended time. And I don’t want to see Heinicke basically at all for more than a few series.

Sure I understand. I'm just talking about if we're taking bets. Not when you want to see him. I WANT to see Wentz win this division, I'm just not so sure that's gonna happen due to a number of reasons, most of them non qb related. 

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not sure if the Colts play at Atlanta this year but if they do I suppose this is possible.

LOL.  I meant Colt's stadium roof.  My how quickly I forget.  Sorry for the confusion, KDawg.  :806:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Howell isn't seeing any snaps until we're mathematically eliminated and even then it's iffy.

Yeah there really isn't any dire need or huge pressure to start him either, like there would be if he were a high round pick. Like @KDawgI'm a member of the Howell fan club too, but I don't see a need to rush him into action. Give him time to develop then maybe see where he is next season (depending on how successful Wentz is). He certainly has the tools IMO.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah there really isn't any dire need or huge pressure to start him either, like there would be if he were a high round pick. Like @KDawgI'm a member of the Howell fan club too, but I don't see a need to rush him into action. Give him time to develop then maybe see where he is next season (depending on how successful Wentz is). He certainly has the tools IMO.

"Patience" is Dan's middle name.  No worries.

Some optimism on Keim's podcast today with Bram.

They are both worried about the defense.  But seem fairly high on the offense.  They've said (others watching practices have said the same) they have shown very little of what they are practicing in these preseason games.  Bram goes Wentz is a "massive" upgrade from what they've had in recent years.    And that's obvious to see in camp.  Keim agreed -- major upgrade.

Bram thought (others have said the same) Wentz's issue is holding on to the ball too long and playing Mahomes style but unlike Mahomes he doesn't execute the off platform stuff well -- makes too many mistakes.  But overall they both feel good about Wentz.  Bram goofying on the narrative that Wentz is bad.

Ditto as a personality, Bram said Wentz comes off like a good dude and the bad dude stuff makes no sense. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Peregrine said:

He's done a great job missing half his throws against guys who will never play in the NFL.  Having a strong arm is a fools gold gift in the NFL, and if you can't see that TH understands the game 10 times better to make up for that....I don't know what to say

I’ve almost commented a dozen times in the last month about how aggressive and acerbic your posting has become recently, wanting to ask if you were okay lol. Finding out you’re a disgruntled Heinicke guy answers every question I had. You aren’t even presenting these posts about Howell as unbiased realism or fair criticism lol, you’re out and out **** talking the guy in a condescending, almost gleefully negative way. Now I get why. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Heinecke looked good yesterday no? 

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Heinecke looked good yesterday no? 

I think he did, and I can only speak for myself but imo when we say that we don’t want to see Heinicke anymore, we say it because we know what he is. Wentz playing could lead us to the playoffs, and if it doesn’t that’s at least more information at our fingertips to make decisions with at the position, going forward. It’s valuable. Howell eventually playing means he’s developing (or not), and regardless of how it goes, that’s more information at our fingertips. Again, it’s valuable. Heinicke playing for any other reason than to keep us afloat, short-term, until the real starter comes back from injury…that doesn’t tell us anything, because we know he’s a 29-year old backup QB with gumption and limited tools. Unless it’s in service to bridging the gap to the real guy while we have something to play for, we don’t gain anything from seeing Heinicke play ever again. So it’s not really about him as a player, and it’s not personal, so much as it’s about what we know he isn’t—he isn’t our starting QB, or our starting QB of the future. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

I think he did, and I can only speak for myself but imo when we say that we don’t want to see Heinicke anymore, we say it because we know what he is. Wentz playing could lead us to the playoffs, and if it doesn’t that’s at least more information at our fingertips to make decisions with at the position, going forward. It’s valuable. Howell eventually playing means he’s developing (or not), and regardless of how it goes, that’s more information at our fingertips. Again, it’s valuable. Heinicke playing for any other reason than to keep us afloat, short-term, until the real starter comes back from injury…that doesn’t tell us anything, because we know he’s a 29-year old backup QB with gumption and limited tools. Unless it’s in service to bridging the gap to the real guy while we have something to play for, we don’t gain anything from seeing Heinicke play ever again. So it’s not really about him as a player, and it’s not personal, so much as it’s about what we know he isn’t—our starting QB, or starting QB of the future. 

Got it.

I think Taylor Heincke doesn't have a future with the team past this year.  Howell will be the backup next year.  But in terms of this year I fine with Heincke as the number 2 QB.   He is more game ready than Sam Howell and I don't want to rush Howell before he is ready.  I think putting too much on QB's before they are ready leads them to forming bad habits that are difficult to correct.  Better plan is to develop Sam Howell for a year and next year he is the backup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think Taylor Heincke doesn't have a future with the team past this year.  Howell will be the backup next year.  But in terms of this year I fine with Heincke as the number 2 QB.   He is more game ready than Sam Howell and I don't want to rush Howell before he is ready.  I think putting too much on QB's before they are ready leads them to forming bad habits that are difficult to correct.  Better plan is to develop Sam Howell for a year and next year he is the backup.

Yeah unless Howell bombs, Heinicke will be a FA after this season. He'll probably be able to find a backup job elsewhere I'm guessing.

16 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Wentz struggles against Jax/Detroit people may be calling for TH...so far I've seen nothing out of Wentz and his bazooka arm. I hope he plays vs Balt because he looks like he could use the work along with Turner. Would be nice to see Wentz running around and making plays like Mahomes was doing.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If Wentz struggles against Jax/Detroit people may be calling for TH...so far I've seen nothing out of Wentz and his bazooka arm. I hope he plays vs Balt because he looks like he could use the work along with Turner. Would be nice to see Wentz running around and making plays like Mahomes was doing.

Wentz used to do that vs us, when he was an Eagle. Made us look like absolute clowns. Ducking under would be sackers, avoiding countless defenders, then throwing a 60 yd bomb td. Or scrambling for 20 yards on 3rd and 15. It was infuriating. Is he still capable of those things? Physically, he should be. He's still in his 20s. Would be awfully nice if he did those things FOR us instead of against us. I guess we'll start to find out in about 20 days.

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I will not, at any point, be calling for TH. We saw that show.

I am semi comfortable with him coming in for a relief appearance due to injury. He can be a spark plug.

But at no point will I be asking to see Tyler Hankey playing in a game. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I agree Heinicke will definitely make this year team but will be gone at end of season.

Howell will have to improve significantly during the season, otherwise I would expect continued interest Washington.  Taylor's career should still continue; hopefully with more money on a winning team.

Edited by Leonard Washington

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Would be nice to see Wentz running around and making plays like Mahomes was doing.

Not fair for anybody but seeing Mahomie on the other side kinda sours whoever is against him. You watch him and he is a videogame, then you gotta watch your guy... Happy Fun Time...

Anyways, I have not seen anything from Wentz this preseason that makes me feel his outlook is any different than what I thought it was before TC.

Edited by FootballZombie