Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why? Where is this rule written? We have to keep Jimmy G for 4-5 years without question? 

On what planet does Jimmy G mean you can't draft a rookie with a 1rst and prepare for the future? The 49ers did it.

We can easily trade for JG AND draft a QB this year and/or next year.

It sucks using that many resources to get a QB, sure, but so does losing football games constantly. 

Because Ron will have felt he got his qb. So, he gives him a 4-5 year deal. He may get a developmental qb but he won’t get a first round qb if he gets Jimmy.

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Overpay whatever it takes for Aaron Rodgers. Reigning NFL MVP available first time ever. It’s a no brainer. 

One of my worries about Rodgers is that he's so flaky that he could possibly decide to just retire at any point if he gets his knickers in a twist over something he doesn't like.

That and what is contract would look like. I'd be super hesitant about giving any 38 year old QB a huge 5 year guaranteed deal, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he'd be asking for something like that.

Yes I know that Brady is 44 but he's basically a mutant. Rodgers could be great for another 4-5 years or he could fall off a cliff next season. Almost no way to know at that age.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don't understand alot of the trashing of these guys around here.

I've seen people saying they wouldn't want Carr, Rodgers, Wilson.

I can't even wrap my head around it.

I think a significant number of our fans think we suck.  Like the few guys who are good are freaks and if we could replace around 40 members of our team we should level sucking.  So going out and getting a guy like Carr, who's the third best QB in his division would make him worse not us better.  And getting an old guy for picks would cost us resources to get better and waste their final years.  For them the getting of the franchise QB is the beginning not the end

5 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Besides just QB this franchise is so far away. 

it’s like we’re playing a different sport 

no we're really not.  The only think we need besides QB is LB

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Anyone who says “build around Heinicke!” after watching todays games needs to be flagged and quartered.

Get a real QB

To be fair, I think those are pretty few and far between nowadays (especially since the Hive has been shuttered).

There are probably a few stragglers, but I think Ron and company have made it pretty clear that they like Heinicke but he's not their guy going forward, so a belief that Heinicke should be the guy and get more time is basically a dead end at this point.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

One of my worries about Rodgers is that he's so flaky that he could possibly decide to just retire at any point if he gets his knickers in a twist over something he doesn't like.

That and what is contract would look like. I'd be super hesitant about giving any 38 year old QB a huge 5 year guaranteed deal, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he'd be asking for something like that.

Yes I know that Brady is 44 but he's basically a mutant. Rodgers could be great for another 4-5 years or he could fall off a cliff next season. Almost no way to know at that age.

Worth all the risks and unknowns in my opinion. We should have drafted him to begin with instead of Carlos Rogers and your favorite QB Jason Campbell.

• Thanks 1

We need a franchise quarterback. No retreads on castoff players. Roll the dice in the draft and hit on a stud qb. My eyes have been opened.

Have you seen the madness that happened with Chiefs vs Bills. We need our version of Allen or Mahomes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Carr is slightly above Kirk. Costs too much and not great. Will end up hamstringing your team for the following 4-5 years

thats worse than having a bad QB

Disagree.  

Having a bad QB, you have no hope but to lose a lot of games for draft position.  Having a competent QB gives you a chance and at minimum gives you something to believe in even if they come up short in the end.

You’ll never convince me that having bad QB play is better than average.  Average is at least watchable.

Obviously, we all want a guy like Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes.  Watching tonight’s game, it really set in on me just how far we are from playing a game like that.  You walk into that game with anything short of a game changer at QB and you are losing.  The Bills are proof, they have an absolute assassin in Josh Allen, and didn’t make the title game.  I was thinking about our week 18 dumpster fire against the Giants that is in the running for worst football game of the year and the contrast to the high octane, roller coaster that was tonight’s game.  It’s like two different sports.

My point in all that is a: those guys don’t grow on trees and b: you can have one and still lose. Despite Tom Brady making it look really easy, it’s actually not that easy to regularly compete for Super Bowls, even if you have an elite QB.  

I’m not saying to avoid taking shots at finding an elite guy via the draft but give me a competent QB in the interim.  Having a bad QB damn near makes the games unwatchable.  

3 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Josh Allen is proof that if you can find a QB that you believe in and develop him right, he can become an elite level player

He’s also a specimen.  He’s huge and he’s got a cannon that allows him to make plays most guys simply can’t.  That helps.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And Carr puts up big numbers and is also super clutch.

Raiders fans I know all say he chokes. They have no confidence in him. Had one really fantastic year, and has otherwise been average, despite some good stats. I read earlier today where a publication had him valued as worth two 1sts and a third. I texted that to 2 long time Raiders fans and they both said they thought that was awfully steep.  

30 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Josh Allen is proof that if you can find a QB that you believe in and develop him right, he can become an elite level player

As @BatteredFanSyndromenoted, Allen is an absolute freak with elite traits.

I think the lesson with Allen is that if you can find a guy with elite traits but who may be somewhat raw and bring him to a quality organization that will have patience and develop him well, then you could end up with an elite NFL QB on your hands.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

Raiders fans I know all say he chokes. They have no confidence in him. Had one really fantastic year, and has otherwise been average, despite some good stats. I read earlier today where a publication had him valued as worth two 1sts and a third. I texted that to 2 long time Raiders fans and they both said they thought that was awfully steep.  

Our fan base thought Cousins "sucked" too. 

Most fans are dumb especially when it comes to QB evaluation in a QB started league.

Carson Wentz was awful last year and still ended up fetching a 1st. Sam Darnold was basically Dwayne Haskins and I think he went for a 2nd.

Edited by Warhead36

13 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

I bet if we swapped Heinicke for Carr for a season, they'd be willing to trade more than that to get him back.

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

As @BatteredFanSyndromenoted, Allen is an absolute freak with elite traits.

I think the lesson with Allen is that if you can find a guy with elite traits but who may be somewhat raw and bring him to a quality organization that will have patience and develop him well, then you could end up with an elite NFL QB on your hands.

Yeah but there was a big red flag with Allen and that was his accuracy.  And frankly, QBs don’t tend to get more accurate.  Allen did, as it turned out a lot of his inaccuracies were due to mechanical things which they worked on and he fixed.

I think what you’re really looking for is a guy who has the physical tools, throws with anticipation, and can pick up an NFL offense.

If there are some other issues, they can be worked out.  Rivers was said to have too low a release when he came out.  They worked with him, he raised it a bit, and had a great career.  

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Contract will be outrageous. He could retire at any minute. 

After watching Allen and Mahomes, further pushes me in direction of Malik Willis. I know nothing other than he’s Vick like mobility and has a cannon. I saw Allen and Mahomes play back yard football in the divisional round of the playoffs all game. Give me a guy that can compete with that. 

Let all the other teams deal with a guy that has to go through 3-5 reads in the pocket and hope everything holds up around him. 

Backyard football is the answer. 

Watching Allen and mahomes.. last night made me want our qb from the draft… go get the guy that MAYBE has chance to reach there level and that for me is only WILLIS 

Go big if it fails try again next year !!!

mitch or mariota only as fall back if the rookie flops

keep building via draft !!!