Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not really that impressed by Huntley to be honest. He has happy feet and is too erratic. The Ravens made it work because he's similar to Jackson and the system is meant for a guy like that. I don't think that style of play is sustainable to winning long term.

Right.  Similar to Taylor here, he’s a guy you love as a backup.

9 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

So, what would it take to get Tyler Huntley? He's an intriguing prospect.

How does he stack up against the top rookies coming out? How does he stack up against the rookies coming out that we have a legit shot at getting? Dont think we will get any of Roger's, Watson etc. Huntley may be worth a high pick to aquire. Small sample size and I dont know enough about him but definitely intriguing. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They'd be similar tier QB. Huntley might be a little more talented but he wouldn't make us discernibly better than Heinicke does right now.

I just meant that he has some juice as a backup, similar to Taylor.  But not a guy I see evolving into a franchise QB.  I haven’t watched a ton of him, but from what I’ve seen accuracy isn’t hot.  Even if he’s making completions, ball placement wasn’t ideal- similar to TH.

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

How does he stack up against the top rookies coming out? How does he stack up against the rookies coming out that we have a legit shot at getting? Dont think we will get any of Roger's, Watson etc. Huntley may be worth a high pick to aquire. Small sample size and I dont know enough about him but definitely intriguing. 

He's a UDFA with 3 starts. 6th rounder at the absolute max, but more likely that nobody would give up draft picks for him. Remember that Kyle Allen was a UDFA who had plenty of starts and had shown that he could play QB in the NFL, and we got him for a 5th. Nobody is giving up anything for Huntley IMO.

Edited by mistertim

12 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That doesn’t mean I don’t believe he’s capable of riding a running game and defense in December til the wheels fall off. He’s capable, again I just don’t see that as sustainable year over year with a QB that can’t stretch the field.

Logan Paulsen was talking about this yesterday on 106.7.  He said that because they can't really test defenses deep that much it has repercussions.  He goes eventually the defenses can clamp down on offenses like that.    He was intrigued some by Kyle Allen because he had the arm to push the ball down the field.

It's mostly this reason alone is why I think Taylor is unlikely going to be that guy.  Some say give him time, get experience.  Normally I'd agree.  But his arm is his arm with more experience or less it still will be the same.   Can Taylor be the rare QB who can be one of the better QBs in the league without the minimal arm strength that QBs typically have?  I doubt it.  But I'll let it play out and see but explaining why I am not that optimistic. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Logan Paulsen was talking about this yesterday on 106.7.  He said that because they can't really test defenses deep that much it has repercussions.  He goes eventually the defenses can clamp down on offenses like that.    He was intrigued some by Kyle Allen because he had the arm to push the ball down the field.

It's a shame an arm capable of pushing the ball down the field is what makes him intrigued. Other than knowing the system, that's all Allen brings to the table. 

9 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Huntley is on a 1 yr deal with BAL. FA at year's end.

Tyler Huntley is slated to become an exclusive-rights free agent, meaning that the Ravens will be able to potentially move him in a trade.10 hours ago

4 ideal Tyler Huntley landing spots in trade with the Baltimore Ravens

https://sportsnaut.com/tyler-huntley-trade-scenarios-baltimore-ravens/

Talk about being in quarterback purgatory. WFT attempted to roll with veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, only to see him lost for the season after one game. Taylor Heinicke has played well, but he doesn’t seem to be the long-term solution in the nation’s capital.

The backdrop here is a Washington skill-positiong group and defense that’s ready to contend. Running back Antonio Gibson has been dynamic, something that would only be magnified with Huntley in the backfield. Offensive coordinator Scott Turner has also worked with signal callers in the past in his stints as the quarterbacks coach with the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers.

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It's a shame an arm capable of pushing the ball down the field is what makes him intrigued. Other than knowing the system, that's all Allen brings to the table. 

i am not a big Kyle Allen guy.  but as Sheehan is talking about on the radio as we speak is he a major downgrade over Taylor?  He suspects not.  I suspect not.  but I don't know.

In short, I don't think we got the long term solution at QB on the roster right now.  Both Taylor and Kyle weren't drafted for a reason. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tyler Huntley is slated to become an exclusive-rights free agent, meaning that the Ravens will be able to potentially move him in a trade.10 hours ago

4 ideal Tyler Huntley landing spots in trade with the Baltimore Ravens

https://sportsnaut.com/tyler-huntley-trade-scenarios-baltimore-ravens/

Talk about being in quarterback purgatory. WFT attempted to roll with veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, only to see him lost for the season after one game. Taylor Heinicke has played well, but he doesn’t seem to be the long-term solution in the nation’s capital.

The backdrop here is a Washington skill-positiong group and defense that’s ready to contend. Running back Antonio Gibson has been dynamic, something that would only be magnified with Huntley in the backfield. Offensive coordinator Scott Turner has also worked with signal callers in the past in his stints as the quarterbacks coach with the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers.

i am not a big Kyle Allen guy.  but as Sheehan is talking about on the radio as we speak is he a major downgrade over Taylor?  I suspect not.  but I don't know.

In short, I don't think we got the long term solution at QB on the roster right now.  Both Taylor and Kyle weren't drafted for a reason. 

Agreed on Allen. Also on both he and TH not being drafted for a reason, funny we are talking up undrafted Huntley now. 

TH is a better football player than Allen.

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed on Allen. Also on both he and TH not being drafted for a reason, funny we are talking up undrafted Huntley now. 

TH is a better football player than Allen.

lol, yeah I don't mean you can't be undrafted and be a good player but its certainly less common and by a mile at the Qb spot.  

I am not advocating trading for Huntley.  I don't know.  Still digesting.

Having said that he has some freakish athleticism which I don't think we are talking about when it comes to Taylor or Kyle Allen.  

https://kslsports.com/431716/utah-qb-tyler-huntley-personal-pro-day-nfl-combine/

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Former Utah quarterback Tyler Huntley did not receive an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine but after holding his own pro day, he proved that not getting an invite was a mistake.

Utah was scheduled to hold their pro day last week but due to the coronavirus or COVID-19 pandemic, the event has been postponed and will likely be canceled.

Huntley decided to hold his own pro day with NFL personnel on site to observe and record his results.

Here are all of the results for Huntley and how they compared to the participants at the NFL Combine.

40-Yard Dash

Huntley ran a blistering 4.56 40-yard dash at his pro day which is very impressive for a quarterback.

That 40-yard dash time would have been the best at the Combine with Hawaii quarterback Cole McDonald’s 4.58 time being the best at the Combine.

20-Yard Shuttle

Huntley finished the 20-yard shuttle in 4.31 seconds.

The 20-yard shuttle time for Huntley was faster than anyone at his position at the Combine with Princeton QB Kevin Davidson who posted a 4.37 result.

At the Combine, that result for Huntley would have been the fifth fastest time.

3-Cone Drill

In the 3-cone drill, Huntley finished in 6.84 seconds.

His 3-cone drill time was faster than any quarterback in Indianapolis. The best result at the Combine was from Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert with 7.06.

That time would have been the best at the Combine with Oregon State wide receiver Isaiah Hodgins, Utah cornerback Jaylon Johnson and Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor recording 7.01 times.

Broad Jump

In the broad jump, Huntley leaped 128.5 inches.

That broad jump result would have also been the tops at the Combine with Missouri’s Kelly Bryant recording the best broad jump among the quarterbacks with 125 inches.

Among all of competitors at the Combine, Huntley had the better result. Colorado linebacker Davion Taylor, Florida International defensive back Stantley Thomas-Oliver and Florida defensive lineman Jabari Zuniga all recorded the best broad jump at the Combine with 127 inches.

Vertical Jump

In the vertical jump, Huntley recorded a staggering 43.5-inch jump.

The vertical jump result for Huntley would’ve shattered any quarterback’s numbers at the Combine. McDonald led the QB’s with a 36-inch vertical jump.

Among all of the participants at the Combine, Huntley would’ve posted the best vertical jump. The best result at the Combine was from South Carolina running back Rico Dowdle with 38 inches. Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray, Virginia wide receiver Joe Reed and Clemson safety K’Von Wallace all had the same result.

• Like 3

You realize this is the kind of guy @Thinking Skinswould be advocating for to draft right....:ols:

He is the type of guy that I mentioned would be the reason I could see for drafting 2 QB's in the same year. If we drafted one on day 1 or 2 then took this guy in the 7th. 

If I were the Ravens I wouldn't be looking to trade him. They own him on the cheap for a couple years. Their third stringer is freaking Josh Johnson.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You realize this is the kind of guy @Thinking Skinswould be advocating for to draft right....:ols:

He is the type of guy that I mentioned would be the reason I could see for drafting 2 QB's in the same year. If we drafted one on day 1 or 2 then took this guy in the 7th. 

If I were the Ravens I wouldn't be looking to trade him. They own him on the cheap for a couple years. Their third stringer is freaking Josh Johnson.

I knee I saw Josh Johnson on the sidelines in the game. Is this his 20th team?

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I don't think he meant 'intrigued' as in Allen might be a franchise QB, but intrigued as in - what could he do with this current team, and would it be better adding the ability to stretch the field?  Obviously it's give and take, Kyle isn't going to squirt out of trouble and scamper for the pylon like Taylor.

• Like 1

Trade guesses. with us it’s Derek Carr

LAS VEGAS RAIDERS QB DEREK CARR  WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Terms: Football Team send 2022 1st, 2023 1st, 2022 3rd
Las Vegas Raiders dead money: $0
Washington Football Team inherited contract: One year, $19,877,519

Do we expect the Raiders to trade Carr? No. In fact, they’re more likely to give him a top-of-market extension this offseason that makes him a Raider for life. However, with all the turmoil surrounding the team, what if a new head coach and/or general manager decides to just hit the reset button? The quickest way to do that is by getting a massive haul for the 30-year-old quarterback and jumpstarting a rebuild. 

Amidst what could be described as utter chaos around him, Carr has quietly become one of the NFL's better starting quarterbacks among the 30-and-under age group. Since 2020, he ranks sixth in PFF passing grade among 30-and-under quarterbacks (85.0), second in big-time throw rate (6.7%), third in yards per attempt (7.9) and third in adjusted completion percentage (78.3%). Any way you slice it, Carr has become one of the game’s best quarterbacks with many years ahead of him. 

Washington Football Team defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was the Raiders' head coach from 2015-17, with the 2016 season being the only year Carr has made the playoffs in his career. He threw 28 touchdown passes to just six interceptions that year. After getting fired, Del Rio did make comments about how he doesn’t believe Carr plays well in cold weather, which Carr certainly took umbrage with at the time. Nevertheless, the two have familiarity and were successful together, so perhaps that can be a bridge to a reunion. 

Washington has managed to be a .500 football team despite replacement-level quarterbacking in each of the past two seasons. With emerging star wide receiver Terry McLaurin and the team’s offensive line currently earning the third-best pass blocking grade in 2021 (79.1) despite some injuries, Carr could step in and make the team a true contender. 

• Like 1

It seems like folks want to draft a QB, because they are cheap.  Fair enough.

However, patience has to be exercised to allow said draft pick to develop.  By the time said draft pick develops and you can build a solid enough team around them, they are looking at the next contract which is always huge.

There is literally no way around paying a large contract to a franchise QB.  There are only but so many ‘elite’ QB’s and even they don’t make the Super Bowl every year.  Aaron Rodgers for example has one Super Bowl appearance, a decade ago.  Matt Stafford had an absolutely awful record prior to going to LA.  All the sudden he gets paired with a bright offensive mind and some weapons and he’s a winning QB.

There are so many variables to this and it feels like Washington fans gravitate towards being cheap at QB and it’s wierd to me, because we are in QB purgatory.  You would think if there was one position worthy of overpaying for, QB would be it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Wow, he's gonna have some suitors for sure. I could see WFT, Steelers, Texans and others taking a hard look at Huntley. He went toe to toe with Rodgers and nearly pulled it out. 

He has a much stronger arm than Heinicke but the same amount of moxy.