Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

On 2/4/2024 at 11:27 AM, FlyBigBeard said:

We need to stay put at #2  no way we trade away all that, I would be sick. Let the players fall where they fall. I'm not a big William fan anyways. And when I see a crazy/dumb trade scenario like that I really don't want him. Didn't he say he didn't want to play for the Bears anyways, They are keeping Justin Fields. I see through their bluff.  I said it before and I will say it again let the players fall where they fall at #2 we need all the draft picks we can get, we are not one player away from winning anything. 

Zero chance. That's nuts. And I'd love to get Williams, but know, you don't get a Pro Bowl DT, a future top 10 first, and a top 36 pick, for us moving up one god ----ed slot, sorry, you just don't. Nothing worse than homers speculating on what they could get in trades. The worst kind of stupidity. 

Guys.... Im super concerned that we HAVE to get up to #1 to get our guy.  There is no way we can settle for the second best long snapper in the draft! We are trying to replace THE Cheeseman... gotta go big with this pick.

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

stay at #2 unless someone gives a king's ransom for draft picks! 6 picks in the top 102!!!  that's almost 3-4 possible starters if Peters hits a homerun in this year's draft!  top 3 qbs and it's a choice.  you can't get any better than that!  this team can just draft all offense with the first 5 pick and just take care of the defense during free agency!  that's a good rebuild to start with!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Funny enough, now that we have clarity on the staff and know it's Peters/Quinn/Kingsbury, I am pretty zen about the pick and have lost interest in debating among the three guys. Not to chastise the discussion or anything, just my personal feeling.

All 3 guys have distinct skillsets and reasons they could thrive in Kingsbury's Air Raid offense. As outsiders, we have limited data to form our opinions. We're not going to see the interviews and Top 30 visits and private background checks & diligence calls.

If the new brain trust picks any one of the Big Three, I will roll with it with optimism. If they veer off that track and do something much less conventional, I will be skeptical & they had better be right. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Quinn dropped a line in his presser that I have been pushing over and over again in this thread

If you’re strictly looking at what guys can do vs. not looking at what they can’t at QB there is no one on Williams level.

His downfall is personality related. 

If you’re looking for “what they can do and not what they can’t do” and personality and “a leader of men”… 

Freakin JJ McCarthy is growing on me. 

• Like 3

On 2/5/2024 at 3:34 AM, Darc Requiem said:

Can someone explain this infatuation with Caleb Williams to me? Like why would you want an immature, mentally weak, diva of a QB, that folds against elite competition.

People really want to relive that 2012 "magical" season.

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Fortunately, every single person of power within this organization has NO ties whatsoever to that year, that draft, that debacle....

Just gotta trust that Peters is who we thought he was.... a competent GM

• Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don’t see the correlation with Caleb.

I don’t know him personally. And there are red flags to his… demeanor? Many, actually. But that doesn’t necessarily qualify him as Griffin.

Stylistically he’s nothing like Griffin. 

Now, I am NOT advocating for Caleb. Just that I’m not sure how Griffin and Caleb correlate. Especially considering the cost of Griffin was hefty where, I think Caleb, would be nothing. I don’t THINK we move up for him, so if we drafted him he’d be the pick at 2 which cost us nothing but heartache, pain, sadness and tears.

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’ve been saying… :) 

If I felt like we could execute a trade down and still get him between 6-10 that might be my preferred path. But a trade down followed by the Giants taking him at 5 (or trading the pick for someone else to take him) would absolutely ruin that plan. 

Caleb is going #1 because he’s the most talented qb this year.

The concern is, he seems to be a diva and whether he can mentally handle it.

There’s going to be a lot of pressure on him. Can he mentally handle it? Can he handle the losing of a rebuilding team. Bears are in a little better position having won 7 games but still going to be struggles. Also, being the franchise qb and being the #1 pick; he’s going to be criticized when things aren’t going well. Can he handle it?

Will he cry to mommy after each loss? Have a blow up like Ryan Leaf?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Funny enough, now that we have clarity on the staff and know it's Peters/Quinn/Kingsbury, I am pretty zen about the pick and have lost interest in debating among the three guys. Not to chastise the discussion or anything, just my personal feeling.

All 3 guys have distinct skillsets and reasons they could thrive in Kingsbury's Air Raid offense. As outsiders, we have limited data to form our opinions. We're not going to see the interviews and Top 30 visits and private background checks & diligence calls.

If the new brain trust picks any one of the Big Three, I will roll with it with optimism. If they veer off that track and do something much less conventional, I will be skeptical & they had better be right. 

Yeah Im with you. Im still Team Maye but would be fully on board with any of the big 3. Now if we pass and end up with like Penix Id have issues.

On 2/5/2024 at 3:34 AM, Darc Requiem said:

Can someone explain this infatuation with Caleb Williams to me? Like why would you want an immature, mentally weak, diva of a QB, that folds against elite competition.

well when you put it like that, how can anyone resist trying to convince you and your open mind on the topic :ols:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, illone said:

Welcome to the right side of history my friend 😂

If we traded down, he'd be my target, but I'm not interested in trading down. The debate in my head, is whether he turns into Johnny Average, or whether he really does have the potential to be great. I'm not sure what the answer is. I definitely give him a chance at the latter though, and at his age, and w/o the injury history and age of a penix for instance, it makes him easily the most interesting of the trade down targets. I have no idea where he will go. Really hard to figure out. 

On 2/5/2024 at 1:34 AM, Darc Requiem said:

He definitely seems like most of the things you mentioned, but he did beat Texas, Oregon and Notre Dame. Id consider all those teams elite, wouldnt you?

7 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Oh Louis Riddick's opinion is one I usually pay attention to. 

The same Louis Riddick who was drooling over Haskins?  I will never take any scouting advise from him again.

Edited by ST_DaGoat21
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

If we traded down, he'd be my target, but I'm not interested in trading down. The debate in my head, is whether he turns into Johnny Average, or whether he really does have the potential to be great. I'm not sure what the answer is. I definitely give him a chance at the latter though, and at his age, and w/o the injury history and age of a penix for instance, it makes him easily the most interesting of the trade down targets. I have no idea where he will go. Really hard to figure out. 

Zierlein's latest mock has him going 12 to Denver, which makes a ton of sense to me, so the only way to make it happen in that scenario is to strike a deal with Minnesota one slot above them. I'm sure there are others interested in moving up, but Minny seems like a logical partner if JJ becomes the target. I know a lot of people have JJ in the 2nd round, but I dont see that happening unless he bombs the private workouts.

I think he goes top 10 when it's all said and done with. I'd be shocked if he makes it past 13...

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t see the correlation with Caleb.

I don’t know him personally. And there are red flags to his… demeanor? Many, actually. But that doesn’t necessarily qualify him as Griffin.

Stylistically he’s nothing like Griffin. 

Now, I am NOT advocating for Caleb. Just that I’m not sure how Griffin and Caleb correlate. Especially considering the cost of Griffin was hefty where, I think Caleb, would be nothing. I don’t THINK we move up for him, so if we drafted him he’d be the pick at 2 which cost us nothing but heartache, pain, sadness and tears.

Stylistically Daniels is much closer to RG3 than Williams. Give me Maye

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

If you’re strictly looking at what guys can do vs. not looking at what they can’t at QB there is no one on Williams level.

His downfall is personality related. 

If you’re looking for “what they can do and not what they can’t do” and personality and “a leader of men”… 

The QB in this draft who absolutely, positively reminds me of Zach Wilson more than anyone else in recent drafts, it's McCarthy. They look similar, move similar, both have great athleticism and arm talent but seem kind of spasmatic in their movements and thought process. Both about 6'2", 210 or so lbs. Both seem maybe a little on the less mature side to me........I can't get that similarity out of my head.

Now, I gotta admit, I liked Wilson, and I can be tempted to like things I see in JJ. But I'm too scared to pull that trigger.

Wilson.jpg

McCarth.jpg

Edited by Rolo Tomasie

Man, I don't see the large gap between the big 3 that others do.

For me it is so much like NFL.com's prospect grade where there is barely any separation between these guys. 

Sure they all excel in differing avenues but overall... near total wash for me.

I understand that the media's almost universal understanding is that Williams is a cut above but I don't see it. Nor do I see anybody lagging behind.

• Like 2