Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Those rumors of Caleb not wanting to play in Chicago aren’t going away. Think Cowherd was the latest with the rumor.

If rumors are true and he balks at playing in Chicago, interesting to see what happens.

I believe I was one of the first on here to speculate that Caleb could force his way to Washington Eli-style, and that I felt it was the only scenario in which we ended up with him.

I still think it's a possibility. Let's call it a 20% chance.

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I believe I was one of the first on here to speculate that Caleb could force his way to Washington Eli-style, and that I felt it was the only scenario in which we ended up with him.

I still think it's a possibility. Let's call it a 20% chance.

Let’s not, lol.

… unless you’re lumping that scenario, us trading up, or Chicago (or another team) passing on Williams at 1 into that 20%

• Thumb up 4

4 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I'm honestly kinda surprised he answered vs. leaving it at "we believe in Sam" lol

He’s not delusional and always seemed a bit more candid, perhaps even blunt, than some of the other players.

Also, more to the point, I have no reason to believe the players are actually loyal to Sam.  Even if they publicly declared they love him, I suspect they don’t want to be dragged down by his mediocre (at best) play.

Edited by skinsarethebest

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The whole “with the caveat he doesn’t watch tape” should clue everyone in that he has absolutely no idea and he’s throwing **** at the wall because he’s heard Williams is the best QB in the draft.

As to the convo about what this means about Howell… nothing. When you’re top 3 in a draft chances are you’re looking at QB unless you just drafted one and even then you may still be looking at QB.

This is a nothing burger. With lettuce.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

The whole “with the caveat he doesn’t watch tape” should clue everyone in that he has absolutely no idea and he’s throwing **** at the wall because he’s heard Williams is the best QB in the draft.

As to the convo about what this means about Howell… nothing. When you’re top 3 in a draft chances are you’re looking at QB unless you just drafted one and even then you may still be looking at QB.

This is a nothing burger. With lettuce.

Agree, I posted it for entertainment purposes

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Talking short QBs in THE other thread and copy pasting because this type of play has to be on every short QBs resume otherwise they are doomed to fail.

One reason I still like Sam and still doesn't get much discussion - he can throw on the run. LOVE his first TD pass of the year to BRob running out of bounds while twisting his body to get into position ~sidearming while still running left it was all the proof I needed that he had studied Mahomes and practiced what he saw. Watch the link but the still is telling. Logan still thinks that pass was to him.

This is what the short QBs simply HAVE to ace. Call it Mahomianisming.

image.png.1214b8c7a9303ca18d8ee1d56f0e281c.png

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Greetings Nerds and Virgins -

It is ggarriso, your sage guide to all things Commanders draft picks and front office decisions.. Those of you who know me well know my record in this space is steller - unblemished, untarnished, and immaculate.  Even while being called "mean names" by many of you, I have spoken truth to power, and have predicted the future bust of projected gems such as "Chase Dung", Eric "Andy Ried's Waterboy" Bieniemy, "Simba" (RIP), and even Ron Riveria (Respect).  We are going to look past the hype trains and break down character, soul, intelligence, and grit, which are some of the key characteristics which determine success or failure in the National Football League.  Let's begin.

So, we did it, the wheels fell off the bus so hard that we are drafting #2 in a draft which is full of talent in our positions of need (which is basically every position).  So, you may ask, ggarriso - we seek guidance oh wise one, what should the Commanders do - and why will they very likely ultimately select a QB?  Lets look at the scenarios from least to most likely:

--Caleb Williams:   This is almost not worth discussing given Caleb will go #1 either to the Bears or someone trading up with a king's ransom - this will not be our precious Commanders - not this time, and that is for the best.  Let's talk about Caleb for a moment shall we.  A mentally weak, whiney, (over)hyped, QB from a big college program who is more interested in his own branding than joining a team, with a helicopter daddy who is very involved in the "business side of things", with strong ties to the DC area.  Ringing any bells ?  If that's not enough, Caleb literally quotes the Lion King on his twitter profile.  Only thing remaining to complete this circle of life would be a private draft party at the local Bowl America.  When things start to go sideways (and go sideways they will here in DC) you can count on Caleb to cry like a ****, and "Mr. Williams Sr" to start leaking garbage to the press.  End of the day there are tools there -- Mahomes 2.0 probably a stretch, but the DC area has a habit of chewing these types up and spitting them out.  Possibly good somewhere else if they get him a psychiatrist, some tissues, a new daddy, and some nail polish remover.   Pass/Not Relevant - if they is there at two you gotta take a swing, but that scenario is unlikely and you absolutely do not expend the capital it would take to move up to one.

--MHJ:  Closest thing to a sure fire hit in the draft;  it is really hard to imagine MHJ not being a serviceable starter in the NFL for years to come.  Reviewing the tape, MHJ might not be well suited for the physicality of the NFL, with not much yardage after contact - but that is a minor concern when compared to the potential upside.  If it's me, I'm making this pick and trying to find our Baker Mayfield out there - the underestimated gritty QB who can take a team deep into the playoffs.  However, ultimately, Peters will likely find the risk of passing on a "generational" QB is too high, so this pick seems unlikely in reality.  But, speaking of physicality, let's move on to:

--Jayden Daniels:  The ever popular rising pick that has somehow creeped into top 2 consideration in a draft where 1 and 2 were pre-anointed by the all powerful media.  A dual threat QB with accuracy issues who often puts their body in danger and has durability concerns in the NFL?  Hmmmm.. Haven't heard of that one before.  Jayden is built like a 12 year old boy.  Literally "lil jay" looks like ET in a football uniform.  Multiple times during the tape review "lil jay" was hobbling around like a wounded animal after routine tackles. Unless we can find this guy a new exoskeleton and a cybernetic arm, it's not going to work here. pass. Note that per Papa Elon, we are not far off from this technology being available.

--Drake Maye - At this juncture, this is our most likely pick.  Drake has all the intangibles, a rocket arm, good character and work ethic, good teammate.  Mahomes 2.0 he is not, but he has serviceable mobility and can make plays when things break down (and god knows they will with this motley crew).  Fans can wear Maye jerseys without feeling like they are supporting a mental midget diva, past (or future) criminal, or someone a bit too excited about DC's "recreational policies".  The package is there, but why do I feel like something is missing?  Maybe it's the ACC conference's less than stellar output of starting caliber QBs, maybe it's the UNC uniforms, maybe it's an arguably unwarranted fear of Howell++ (he had his flashes don't deny it).  I cant put my finger on it, but there an "it" factor that is lacking.  But -- listen now -- MAYbE thats just it fam, MAYbE we have been conditioned by Dan to expect that splashy move, that trade up to #1, that waste of pick on a "dual threat" giraffe.  MAYbE, winning in the offseason isn't winning, and MAYbE in Maye we trust.

Final ratings:

Best Pick: MHJ
Most Likely Pick: Maye
Sorrow and Pain:  Likely

Edited by ggarriso
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumb up 2

On 2/2/2024 at 10:43 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Not that I disagree with your main point, but I'm curious: You wouldn't trade away say a 2024 2nd & a 2025 2nd to take Mahomes over Allen?

I'm not sure that I would.

If I could swap Reid and McDermott along with the QBs for that price, then yeah I would do that.  I want the situation to come along with Mahomes.

If both Maye and Williams end up in good situations in the NFL, then I can see a time where they're both top five players and Caleb is marginally considered the best player in the league.  But I think the gap between them will be so close that match ups will come down to who has the better team that year.  And that's really what happened between the Bills and Chiefs this season.  Allen was better individually than Mahomes this year, but the Chiefs had a kick ass defense powering them and the Bills were running on fumes by the time they faced Kansas City in the playoffs.  I don't want to weaken our ability to put a great team around Maye to make what I think will be a marginal upgrade to Williams.

• Like 1

If Caleb Williams actually forces Chicago’s hand here, how does this play out? Does Chicago just take Maye/Daniels? Or do they actually try to swap picks with us? Because if we know they won’t draft Caleb why would we then trade assets to move up? 

I know they could trade out with NE too. But I’d think Chicago would want to ensure they get their top QB option if Williams isn’t the pick. 

Of course, if Williams doesn’t want to go to Chicago then you’d think Chicago could just opt to stick with Fields and auction the pick, which would be the smart move IMO

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Cool moment for our QBOTF:

Oh man I don’t know why, but everything about that makes me thinks he’s going to be one of those dime a dozen great college QB’s who comes to the league and instantly sucks. 

• Thumb down 1

20 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

Oh man I don’t know why, but everything about that makes me thinks he’s going to be one of those dime a dozen great college QB’s who comes to the league and instantly sucks. 

I agree.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if this would favor Daniels 

If Kingsbury comes here they’re trading up and getting Caleb Williams or they know something from within GM talk that Bears aren’t drafting Williams and keeping Fields… all my opinion 

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if this would favor Daniels 

Anyone have any insight on what offense would be the best fit for Daniels vs Maye?

While I liked Maye over Daniels I’m all about how they fit into coach and GM vision for the team and the offense. I think both have NFL tools and both have high quality intangibles.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I agree.

Yea when I see a guy in college who it’s like the whole world is just handed to him I get nervous. It’s like a lot of these guys when it’s time to work harder then you ever had to just to be above average I’ve seen many of them not step up to that challenge.