Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Agreed on your philosophical point. 

And in general, I agree with your main point but I really think Purdy is a good QB. Maybe he got there faster because of circumstance but his numbers are MVP worthy. That’s has to be beyond the Shanahan system in my mind because we’ve never seen a QB (young or old) run it to this degree outside of RG3. I am not confident that Sam would have them winning the one seed in the NFC right now but that’s just my opinion. Processing and making accurate throws are crucial in that system and Sam struggles with that a lot right now. But again this is just my opinion. For whatever reason, I’ve always been really impressed with Purdy. I never saw it with Lance and Jimmy G drove me insane when I watched him play there. 

Yeah it's probably like most things where the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

Purdy is a good quarterback but there's a reason for all the chatter about him being a system quarterback. 

Guess we'll see if the day ever comes where he ends up somewhere else less ideal.

Until then it's an interesting debate.

• Like 1

Take it from someone who follows the team,  but watched barelt any highlights. Nothing really got answered on Howell this season.  Rookie QB, you'd like to know they aren't horrendous.  

He wasn't... but... the last 6 games were.  

If the Commanders were trying to win now, Brissett's performances would make you question why he wasn't starting the entire season.  

11 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I really don’t like this narrative bc we’ve seen a young QB in Trey Lance fail in SF with the same weapons and coaching. Not even a vet like Garrapalo had them moving the ball like Purdy. I really think people underrate Purdy’s performance just like they used to do Brady during his first few years. It’s not like he’s throwing short passes and just trying to not make mistakes. He’s among the leaders in air yards as well. He’s making really tough throws look routine. So while I think Sam would definitely look better in SF, I don’t think he’d be as good as Purdy and at this point, I think it’s clear Purdy is a vastly superior player. I don’t think he’d have the ‘23 Commanders at 10-11 wins or anything like that but I think we’d be better for sure. I do understand that not everyone feels the same about Purdy though. 

Trey Lance never got a shot.  He failed because he broke his leg and there was another prospect behind him that took the job over and never let it go.  You have no idea what a prospect can do in four starts.  Garappolo took the Niners to a 1 seed and the Super Bowl, if that's not success then we need to redefefine our terms.  He took "failed" in San Francisco because he kept getting hurt and the guy behind him on the depth chart took the job over.

Brock Purdy is good AND he went into the most favorable situation to develop in the NFL.  It absolutely matters that 80% of Purdy's snaps are favorable leverage downs where the defense has no clue if they are running or passing and the back seven are on their heels anyway against four of the most dangerous run after catch weapons in the NFL.  It absolutely matters that he's got the best offensive lineman in football playing on an island behind him, and the best running back standing beside him in the backfield.  It absolutely matters that his playcaller and game planner is one of the best in the NFL and he doesn't have to change a thing and can just follow the plays and progressions to make easy and successful decisions.  And it absolutely matters that he's got a dominant defense to get the ball back to him with no harm done if he should make mistakes.  And lastly, is also matters that your organization has such a strong commitment to you that they traded off the other prospect they spent three first round picks on at tremendous loss in order to give the team to you.  All of that is how you keep a young QB confident and growing.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not a Purdy hater at all but why wouldn’t Purdy stand a chance here?  It’s pretty simple.  

Kyle Shanahan >>>>>>>> EB.

Niners Roster >>>>>>> Our roster.

Purdy can make some wicked throws.  And supposedly his ability to process and read defenses is special.  It was interesting to read about how the Ravens took advantage of that by setting him up by mixing coverages and changing coverages in the last second -- feels similar to what Gregg Williams did for the Saints defense against Peyton in the SB where he used Peyton's eyes against him.  Just a tangent if they end up interviewing Mike McDonald.

But to plug another potential target, Adam Peters, that team is so well run.  Great at drafting.  Great coaching.  Leave to to Rivera to grab the dude from that FO with a history of being "meh" to bad elsewhere versus the guy with the reputation of being the mastermind of that FO.  Amazes me that Rivera talked about how the Bills do everything right when he got here.  Yet its the Giants who grabbed Joe Schoen from the Bills FO and the Giants also interviewed Peters.  Rivera likes aiming low. 

I agree that Purdy would be worse here and Sam would be better in SF.   I don't know to the extent where it would all go down the opposite way.    The hard thing to tell on any QB is visual processing and the ability to read defenses and set protections so there might be something real about Purdy being really good at that and there is at least questions about Sam on these counts.

Logan Paulsen who has taken some shots at Bieniemy but does it really nicely but clearly isn't enamored with the scheme -- also seems clear of late he's not enamored with Sam and his potential either.  Not saying Logan is the be all and end all.  But he rewatches these games again and again.  I've for example not had the time to do the same.  And of course Logan was a pro and knows the game.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Nothing Ron Rivera has done with his quarterbacks has made any sense.  In 2020, he gave the job to Haskins despite Kyle Allen probably deserving the job.  In 2021 they signed 38 year old Fitztragic to be their presumptive starter.  In 2022 they traded for Wince, Rivera proclaimed him their QB of the future because of "analytics", but then didn't extend him beyond that one season.  Then in 2023 he said that the 5th round guy he drafted to be the "developmental" backup to Wince was actually the franchise guy all along and he didn't realize it until week 18 of last year.  

Less than 7 days left of this failure.  Silver lining.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I really don’t like this narrative bc we’ve seen a young QB in Trey Lance fail in SF with the same weapons and coaching. Not even a vet like Garrapalo had them moving the ball like Purdy. I really think people underrate Purdy’s performance just like they used to do Brady during his first few years. It’s not like he’s throwing short passes and just trying to not make mistakes. He’s among the leaders in air yards as well. He’s making really tough throws look routine. So while I think Sam would definitely look better in SF, I don’t think he’d be as good as Purdy and at this point, I think it’s clear Purdy is a vastly superior player. I don’t think he’d have the ‘23 Commanders at 10-11 wins or anything like that but I think we’d be better for sure. I do understand that not everyone feels the same about Purdy though. 

49ers nailed the Purdy pick. He has the arm to make every though. He is close enough to prototype size. He is very smart. He reads the field very well. He reads coverages presnap really well. He throws a beautiful ball. He is very accurate. He throws with great anticipation and throws guys open. He gets to his checkdowns quickly. And finally he has above average mobility.

He made a pretty much irrelevant isu relevant with his play in college.

Brock Purdy is way more than a system qb. The guy can flat out play, and I would love if he was our guy.

This last game he was throwing dimes in tight windows, and hitting his checkdowns early, giving them plenty of time and space to gain chunk yards. He also did a great job, buying time in the pocket. He has great pocket presence.

I truly believe he is a top 5 qb in this league and even if he was in the crap situation we have here, he would elevate the entire team and we would be in the playoff race. Tmac would absolutely kill with Purdy behind center

Edited by mac8887
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mac8887 said:

This last game he was throwing dimes in tight windows, and hitting his checkdowns early, giving them plenty of time and space to gain chunk yards

Everybody has done that against us, even Tommy devito.

2 hours ago, mac8887 said:

truly believe he is a top 5 qb in this league and even if he was in the crap situation we have here, he would elevate the entire team and we would be in the playoff race.

Even with his stellar supporting cast he looked pretty bad the week before against the ravens.

I know good quarterbacks have good days and bad but just imagine what he'd have looked like against the ravens if he were our quarterback. 

Again, philosophical debate and un-winnable but I don't think anybody would have looked good under center for us this year, it's one of the biggest reasons why quarterbacks use their enormous leverage to make sure they go to the right situation, hell even Tom Brady the greatest of all time saw the writing on the wall in New England and he went to a loaded bucs team and won another superbowl while the patriots sank into mediocrity.

• Like 1

If your stud LT goes out this can happen - Making Purdy look avg. 

When left tackle Trent Williams left Monday night's loss to the Baltimore Ravens due to an injury, Brock Purdy was a different quarterback and the San Francisco 49ers were a different team, Rondé Barber says. Williams is crucial to Purdy and the 49ers playing their best.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Doc said Trent Scott played well against Bosa, any truth to that?

Based on PFF he was OK.  Lucas according to their scores though played well.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve been coming around on Penix Jr. prior to yesterday, and the more I watch have been scratching my head why he’s not talked about as a first rounder.  I’ve seen reports of weak arm strength but the tape doesn’t really show me that.

2 shoulder surgeries.  2 ACL surgeries

• Like 3

Purdy was fantastic in college, but the alphabet people didn't shine their glorious spotlight on him. Instead, it was Ridder, Pickett, Corral, Willis..... don't listen to the alphabet people, people. Competent GMs & FOs don't, thankfully.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Purdy was fantastic in college, but the alphabet people didn't shine their glorious spotlight on him. Instead, it was Ridder, Pickett, Corral, Willis..... don't listen to the alphabet people, people. Competent GMs & FOs don't, thankfully.

So competent GMs knew Purdy was good and none of them -save one - was willing to spend any draft capital at all on him.

Your post is bad.

Stop making bad posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Stop making bad posts.

I'm going to add this to our already voluminous Rules and Guidelines page.

We miss you, which is not necessarily a good reflection on us.

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

At least the new QB will have one competent OL. 

I know the guy misses games but a competent FO will extend him this offseason. Cosmi is going to go down as the best of the Ron picks and possibly the only Pro Bowler he will have drafted (outside of Chase of course)

• Like 1

I expect some counterpoints from @Koolblue13 😎

Imagine Washington Commanders offensive coordinator and assistant head coach Eric Bieniemy walking into a job interview this off-season for — let’s get crazy — a head coaching job. For illustration’s sake, let’s say there’s someone out there who still believes Bieniemy is some sort of offensive genius being held back by lack of opportunity.

Here’s what the first question might be: “What went wrong with Sam Howell at quarterback in Washington?”

Bieniemy: “Heck if I know.”

Or maybe: “Your guess is as good as mine.”

...This was essentially the answer that Bieniemy gave reporters to this very question in his Dec. 28 press conference. It was buried beneath the avalanche of words Bieniemy piles on every week in a remarkable display of saying very little of consequence, but this one spoke volumes:

“He (Howell) just didn’t play well. And, unfortunately, you know, that happens and it’s not like anything you can put your finger on.”

Oh really? Isn’t that kind of your job?

Before anyone could stop to digest what exactly the team’s offensive coordinator said here — basically, “I don’t have a clue” — Bieniemy shifted like the running back he was in his glory days at Colorado and changed direction, talking about how backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett nearly led the team to a comeback win over the New York Jets.

“But on the flip side of that, Jacoby steps in and he sparks a rally,” Bieniemy said. “So, the good thing is that you have a great quarterback room, and those guys do a great job of supporting one another. Those guys are the biggest fans of each other. And obviously, it’s a tough situation, but I guarantee you Sam is going to be Jacoby’s biggest fan, just as Jacoby was his biggest fan moving forward.”

Bieniemy may not know what’s wrong with Howell at quarterback, but he sure can evaluate his cheerleading skills.

....There is hardly any difference in production between Bieniemy’s offense this season and the one run by Scott Turner, who was fired by Rivera after last season. In 2022, Turner’s offense was ranked 24th in the league, having put up 321 points.

Bieniemy’s offense is ranked 23rd going into the season’s final game on Sunday, scoring 319 points. 

To top Turner, Bieniemy and his offense will have to deliver more than a field goal in the season finale against a Dallas Cowboys team playing for the NFC East division title and a No. 2 seed in the playoffs when they come to FedEx Field.

You don’t have to be a concert pianist to know where to put your fingers on what went wrong with Howell and the offense. 

Bieniemy took a fifth-round 2022 draft pick with one start under his belt and tried to turn him into Dan Fouts. No team has run the ball less in the league than the Commanders, with just 342 carries – nearly 100 fewer attempts than the Cowboys. Howell needed the young quarterback’s security blanket — a running game — and Washington had the running backs to deliver it. Brian Robinson averaged 4.2 yards per carry this year, while Antonio Gibson averaged 4.1 yards per carry.

The reality is that Bieniemy has failed not just as a head-coaching candidate, but as an offensive coordinator as well — the proof is in a 4-12 record and a broken young quarterback.

Let’s finish this job interview — is there something specific as a coach that you tried new this year?

“Sometimes coach Eric Bieniemy can be very hardheaded and stubborn.”

It might help if Bieniemy didn’t think Eric Bieniemy was a whole other person.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

If we fall to 3rd, trade a second for Justin Fields and draft marv. Sure up that offensive line with early picks and Cap and sign the best te in fa even if you have to over spend. The offense would be nasty

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Based on PFF he was OK.  Lucas according to their scores though played well.

2 shoulder surgeries.  2 ACL surgeries

He has been healthy the last two years at Washington. That has to be taken into consideration. I will be surprised if he is not picked mid first round. He has made every start. An undefeated season with 35 TD's and 4,000 passing yards. It shows maybe an alteration in conditioning, and maybe an adjustment in play style. 

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

If we fall to 3rd, trade a second for Justin Fields and draft marv. Sure up that offensive line with early picks and Cap and sign the best te in fa even if you have to over spend. The offense would be nasty

I like this idea actually. I am surprised that I agree with you....lol!

On 1/2/2024 at 7:22 AM, DJHJR86 said:

Nothing Ron Rivera has done with his quarterbacks has made any sense.  In 2020, he gave the job to Haskins despite Kyle Allen probably deserving the job.  In 2021 they signed 38 year old Fitztragic to be their presumptive starter.  In 2022 they traded for Wince, Rivera proclaimed him their QB of the future because of "analytics", but then didn't extend him beyond that one season.  Then in 2023 he said that the 5th round guy he drafted to be the "developmental" backup to Wince was actually the franchise guy all along and he didn't realize it until week 18 of last year.  

Less than 7 days left of this failure.  Silver lining.

You forgot a back-up of a back-up outplayed Wentz and RR prob didn't even know he had him on the roster LOL

TH was key in RR's time here. A real monkey-wrench thrown into his planning.